PDA

View Full Version : Using figure 8 & bit guards....having issues

murph
May. 1, 2010, 12:46 PM
Hmm, never run into this before and would like input. Have a new jumper that I ride in an elevator (needs it). The elevator I have came with bit guards. I would have to cut them to get them off. I usually ride just with a plain noseband but I want to use a figure 8 for showing and higher jump schools. Horse is a former GP jumper, very big, very strong and very aggressive to the jumps especially at shows. I love riding him and have no issues really but since he has an extra head of steam at shows I want the figure 8 or flash.

So I put the figure 8 on the bridle the other day and to do it up UNDER the bit guards it pushes them out at a weird angle and I suspect would make the whole thing rub (doesn't normally have rubs). And to put it OVER the bit guards I wouldn't have enough holes (too tight) and it doesn't look right anway. Tried one ride with it under the guards and horse was not happy about it.

Does anyone else use bit guards and a figure 8/flash and if so, how do you adjust it? Or should I just cut the bit guards off and be done with it?

ashley.
May. 1, 2010, 02:32 PM
Does your figure 8/flash sit rightright under the bit? If theres a little space I'd personally just cut the bit guards until they're contoured. If not then I say just cut them off.

RyGirl
May. 1, 2010, 04:34 PM
I use a figure 8 with bit guards on a loose ring snaffle and I always put the noseband under the bit guards. I have never had a problem with rubs or my horse not liking it. I have also never really noticed it pushing the bit guards at a weird angle, but now you have sparked my curiosity and I will check on that tomorrow.

Have you tried setting the figure 8 a little higher on your horse's face (for lack of a better way to describe it)? Just wondering if maybe it's the angle that bottom strap is coming across that creates the problem...?