PDA

View Full Version : Lesson/Show fees..what does that include?

alittlegray
May. 1, 2010, 10:08 AM
I have a quick question for anyone showing with a reasonably bnt or mnt:

If you are paying a show schooling fee of $100 per day plus or minus, what does that include? Just getting you around the warmup ring and the show ring? Or does that include grooming as well, and you tip the grooms on the side?

Also, if you are paying $60plus an hour for lessons, are they private? How long do they usually run, or are they flexible?

TIA!

Hunter_Newbie
May. 1, 2010, 12:49 PM
Im just starting at my barn so Im still learning the services but from what I understand, local show fee is 50, which only includes coaching, grooming is extra. I have no idea about rated shows, mainly because itll be a million years before I can consider a rated show!

Lessons are 50 for semi private, which can be a couple of people. Requested private are more, I think 70. Lessons run usually 45 mins.

indygirl2560
May. 1, 2010, 12:56 PM
If that was the day rate was $100, that would include just warm-up and talking to you before and after you classes. Grooms are extra and yes, you tip them. Private lessons at my old barn were $70 and included about an hour of instruction. My trainer was pretty flexible with private lessons if she had the time.

skyy
May. 1, 2010, 12:57 PM
$75 schooling fee includes doing show entries, dealing with show secretary, taking care of show payment (which client reimburses us for), schooling in warm up ring, attendance at show ring; $65 private hr, $60 semi private, $55 group

majanick
May. 1, 2010, 02:40 PM
Hi, I live in the very high rent district and we do mostly the very big AA shows, WEF, Old Salem, Hits, Devon, Fairfield, Lake Placid, Vermont, Hampton Classic, Indoors, etc. I ride with a young very good trainer, but her rates are pretty standard for our area. Day fee, which includes all training and care is $175. The only thing extra is if the trainer shows the horse, which is $50 a class. If we are at an away show and the horse is there, but not showing it is $75 a day. The other charges are split between number of horses, hotel rooms, grooming and feed stalls, etc. Otherwise our full training board is $3,000 a month, plus a $50 supply fee. In our area I think these fees are very middle of the road for the better quality show barns.

majanick
May. 1, 2010, 02:47 PM
Also as part of board we get approximately 3, sometimes more sometimes less, lessons a week. Some are private, some are semi private. There are never more than 3 of us. We have 1 groom per 3 or 4 horses. If you were to come just for a lesson, our trainer charges $75 and hour and it is usually a private. That is regardless of whether it is her horse or yours. Hope this was all helpful. I know in our area this is standard, but that for example some big name people like, Sandy Ferrell, Jimmy Torano and Peter Pletcher are all significantly cheaper, somewhere between $1500-$2000 a month. They though are in areas that are much cheaper. A dry stall in our area goes for anywhere between $1,000-$1,500. Everyone I know has dreams of moving elsewhere.

Giddy-up
May. 1, 2010, 07:02 PM
I've paid anywhere from $50-100 per day for a "training fee" at the show. The trainer meets me at the ring, walks the course, schools me, watches me show, gives me feedback. Anything involving grooming or horse care back at the barn would be considered "day care" & would be another fee.

Tip wise--since I do my own care I don't have grooms. But if the barn groom waters my horse or throws a meal I set out then I tip. Which I hand direct to the groom at the end or when I am leaving the show.

The lessons I have that are private go 45 minutes give or take. My trainer & I are not one to fill the remaining time if the horse is being good nor do we stop at an exact time if a problem needs to be resolved.

I also ride in group lessons. I notice the larger the group the lessons stretch a little longer just cause there is more downtime (little over an hour) with taking turns.