PDA

View Full Version : Pessoa EQ

equidae
Apr. 30, 2010, 07:37 PM
Whatever happened to these? Why did they D/C them? They're increasingly hard to find. Does anyone here have one? Do they really help your position as they were intended?

HowDoILook
Apr. 30, 2010, 08:24 PM
I have one, but sadly it doesnt fit my pony. I do like the position it puts me in. The only problem I have with it is that the leather is CRAP. It is more plastic-y than the cheap-o saddles. And no amount of oil with soften it.

I dont know if it necessarily helped with my position, but it did put my leg in a good position, and the flatter seat is very unforgiving if you decide to parts ways :lol: But I have had friends ride in it with different shaped bodies than me who they had to fight it the whole time because of the horrible position it would put them in. Im tall, but with a long torso, but egually long from hip to knee. Stumpy from knee to foot in comparison to the rest of me.

Hope that helps some

indygirl2560
May. 1, 2010, 01:06 AM
I have one right now as a loaner saddle while my saddle is being sold. I don't like it compared to my Delgrange or my friend's Devoucoux, but for the price I suppose it's ok. It hasn't helped my position at all, and the flaps are super flat. I wouldn't recommend it over one of the french saddles(antares, devoucoux, etc), but it's decent, hasn't hurt my position, and has fit every horse I've put it on...

MistyPony
May. 1, 2010, 02:02 AM
I had one and LOVED it! Bought it used for $700 and sold it 5 years later for the same price. The only thing I didn't like about it was that if I was riding a horse that pulled I could get ripped out of the tack way too easily. I don't know if that was the result of the flat seat or what. It was a comfortable saddle not because it was squishy and padded, but more because you kinda forgot it was even there. I can't say if it actually helped my position or not though. When I sold it I got a Devoucoux and wasn't happy with that decision. The Devoucoux was a comfortable ride, but so padded that I couldn't feel what my horse was doing under me. I ended up getting rid of the saddle for other reasons and now ride in a Butet which I think has a more similar feel at least through the twist/thigh.

I don't know why they discontinued them though, I really liked that saddle and have not been a fan of the newer model Pessoas.

Giddy-up
May. 1, 2010, 10:13 AM
I had an "old" Pessoa that I sort of customized. Had an AO seat with an EQ flap. I liked it a lot. Unfortunately the tree broke & I had to find a new style since Pessoa has a new line-up. I just got a Legacy XP3. I feel very comfortable in it & it's broken in quickly.

sptraining
May. 1, 2010, 02:24 PM
I was just thinking of the EQs today!

I had one as my first saddle and it was great. I got really lucky because now I'm looking for a new saddle and it is so tough to find one that just seems to work. I sort of wish they still made these - it seemed like the narrow twist version of the A/O.

It's true, they don't hold up for a very long time, but while they're good, they're great!

equidae
May. 1, 2010, 06:13 PM
Cool, thanks everyone. I was just wondering because it seemed as if they weren't around for very long, and are impossible to find used! I'll probably stick with the A/O since I like the 10" seat.

Giddy-up
May. 1, 2010, 06:51 PM
Cool, thanks everyone. I was just wondering because it seemed as if they weren't around for very long, and are impossible to find used! I'll probably stick with the A/O since I like the 10" seat.

Check out Pessoa on-line. Looking thru their catalog you can see that some saddles have several different options available (which the tack shops don't always know or offer) & that you can order what you want. I did that with my new XP3 when I ordered it thru the tack shop.

mvp
May. 2, 2010, 12:06 AM
PROTACKGUY is the resident Pessoa historian. He can tell you what happened and probably what's happening now.

PROTACKGUY
May. 3, 2010, 01:38 PM
Seems as if the trend has run to a deeper seat than the EQ and they have stopped offering them for sale... I am sure that they can still produce the saddle , even with no knee roll if that was desired..

Dooner
May. 3, 2010, 02:15 PM
I was just wondering because it seemed as if they weren't around for very long, and are impossible to find used!

LOL, ;) they are more difficult to find used than the A/O as they were never as popular, but I bought mine in 1996, which was probably the 2nd or 3rd year that they were produced, give or take.

Awesome leather in the ones they made back then. I sold it on Ebay for about $500(?), (edited to add--this was 2 years ago, and I paid either $1200 or $1700, so a pretty good investment @ $70 - $120/year cost of ownership :) ) so keep your eyes open--most buyers are looking for a deeper seat. It was in great condition--the original seat was starting to split where it met the skirt on one side, and the top of the pommel was showing wear from 13 years of schooling in jeans. Do note that, the older ones at least, ran a bit wide.

I got to the point where I was riding infrequently enough (i.e. 3 -5 days a week) that needed more help to sit a bigger canter and feel comfortalbe over the jumps. It was great when I was a junior & college student riding 2 a day, and 2 that didn't want your a$$ to hit the saddle (not to age myself).

EmbattledIllusion
May. 5, 2010, 01:04 PM
I have a Pessoa 16" EQ Plain Flap... I know... way out of fashion these days. I rode in it as a junior and loved it! My equitation (back then) was flawless (I felt). The saddle was absolutely wonderful. Soft leather, great look and fit. Now I have a Bates Caprilli (sp?) with the whole nine yards of knee and thigh blocks. I only switched because I really like the security when I'm on the greenies. I teach out of my Pessoa though!

LARGEBORE
May. 6, 2010, 07:49 AM
Pessoa has a new saddle out that may work for those that like a very closecontantact with not much on the padding side of things.
The Rodrigo Ultimate if you can find one.

Buckley235
May. 18, 2010, 06:32 PM
I have a pessoa EQ that I've had for about 10 years. I bought it new and have absolutely loved it! It certainly can't make something out of nothing, but it is a great equitation saddle and saw me through years of that circuit! Unfortunately it no longer fits either of my fat horses, so I'm now on the hunt for something else...