PDA

View Full Version : cantering turns/corners

anna3328
Apr. 30, 2010, 03:30 PM
Is it correct to put more weight in the outside stirrup when cantering around a turn or corner (both on the flat and while jumping)? Does this help the horse stay more balanced? I've always assumed so, but was recently told by a new trainer to put more weight in my inside stirrup when coming around a turn. I couldn't really make sense of it...

analise
Apr. 30, 2010, 03:54 PM
I've always heard you should weight your outside stirrup.

However, is it possible you were going too much to the outside and the instructor just wanted you to reach a better equilibrium?

netg
Apr. 30, 2010, 04:25 PM
Typically, most riding styles want your weight to the outside. If you're in half seat/not fully in the saddle, this weight can help encourage your horse to not lean in.

If your horse is taught to bend around your inside leg (dressage) weight on the outside stirrup will make your horse counterbend on the corner, and likely drop onto its inside shoulder. It would also make your outside seat bone press down more also encouraging the uneven weight/counterbend.

So both can be correct, and for you most likely outside stirrup is correct - but it depends on your horse and what you were doing at the time.

fourmares
May. 1, 2010, 01:49 AM
You shouldn't be weighting your sturrips unevenly.

RugBug
May. 1, 2010, 02:05 AM

This.

Sit in the middle, weight your stirrups the same. If your horse falls in, use more inside leg. If it bulges, use more outside. But you don't weight one over the other.

SmileItLooksGoodOnYou
May. 1, 2010, 02:18 AM
If your horse is taught to bend around your inside leg (dressage) weight on the outside stirrup will make your horse counterbend on the corner, and likely drop onto its inside shoulder. It would also make your outside seat bone press down more also encouraging the uneven weight/counterbend.

I agree with and ride based on both philosophies here.

I don't put extra weight into one iron. I do, however, drop into my inside seat bone and thus inside iron VERY slightly around a bend.

I've been taught to step in just a hair into the canter, and around corners.

My horses swap to the counter lead if I step out.

Greg Best told me (more than once) that it's better to create a straight horse than to be straight on top. However, with my horses if I'm not straight on top my horse is not straight.

If I step out and swoosh my butt to the outside like so many hunter riders do my horse drifts out and swaps his lead.

I have to say... my guys are well trained in dressage. Not all hunter horses are.

RugBug
May. 1, 2010, 02:25 AM
Greg Best told me (more than once) that it's better to create a straight horse than to be straight on top. However, with my horses if I'm not straight on top my horse is not straight.

Man did he get after me for a long-standing issue with not weighting my left stirrup the same as my right. Threatened an interesting exercise that I have since done a lot at home, but it hasn't fixed the issue. But yes...straight is key.

I'm sure you'd agree that "weighting" a seat bone is different than weighting a stirrup or sitting crooked. You can still sit straight, while weighting a seat bone and maintaing weight in your stirrups. In fact, the only way to change to weight in your stirrups is to lift your heels which releases your foundation and is a bad thing, yes?

findeight
May. 1, 2010, 10:55 AM
Yeah, you want to weight your seatbone here as you push the horse outside off your inside leg, but "step out" is the way that is usually communicated. And sometimes waaaaaay overdone as riders throw the whole hip over.

In OPs case, she may be leaning outside with the shoulder instead of keeping them square. You do NOT want to start using too much inside rein and dropping the inside shoulder or they lay on that shoulder, cut the corner and miss the change behind. Square and light contact with BOTH sides of the mouth.

xxreddxheaddxx
May. 1, 2010, 12:54 PM
i was taught that the reason we step to the outside is to balance our horses out because our natural instinct is to lean in, resulting in an unbalanced horse. so if your horse is balanced around the turn, stay the same, if not, make adjustments due to where his body is.

netg
May. 2, 2010, 06:29 AM
I'm sure you'd agree that "weighting" a seat bone is different than weighting a stirrup or sitting crooked. You can still sit straight, while weighting a seat bone and maintaing weight in your stirrups. In fact, the only way to change to weight in your stirrups is to lift your heels which releases your foundation and is a bad thing, yes?

I definitely would. "Weight in stirrup" is usually a term I've heard as an intro to someone who hasn't yet fully learned to feel what their seatbones/balance are doing and needs to have "weight on the inside seatbone to correct this/weight on the outside seatbone to correct that". I agree with the clarifications after my post here, too. :) My favorite is press down into inside/outside knee for riders who don't pinch at the knee, as that tends to get the slight shift in weight in the seat and leg engagement needed at the same time as a balance correction.