PDA

View Full Version : What to bring to an away show

sansibar
Apr. 30, 2010, 02:05 PM
Our barn is doing our first season of A shows where we will be stabling for the weeks, so I am just wondering what is essential to bring to the shows?

I am just trying to make sure we have everything ahead of time. :)

Thank you!

Hunter Mom
Apr. 30, 2010, 02:13 PM
When we go away, we bring:
 Water Buckets
 Grain bucket
 Grain
 Bucket Hooks
 Hay
 Hay Bag
 Saddle
 Bridle
 Martingale
 Girth
 ThinLine Pad
 Fleece Pad
 Square Pad
 Boots
 Saddle
 Fan
 Extension Cord

This is all in addition to the stuff in our trunk (grooming tools, bute, shampoo, etc.) that lives in there. I have a separate list for each of us so I don't forget things. Of course, putting them all in the closet together helps a lot too!

ETA - our trainer keeps a muck bucket/fork, stall curtains & such in her trailer. Don't forget chairs for you, too!

theoldgreymare
Apr. 30, 2010, 02:29 PM
Maybe CBoylen will see this and post. She once posted her packing list and I printed it out for us to use for shows. It is very complete and thorough. I don't have it on my computer but will try and bring it up from the barn later if I think of it......or you could search for packing list in H/J and her user name and it might come up.

doublesstable
Apr. 30, 2010, 02:53 PM
When ever I put the horses in the trailer I always bring (on top of the regular stuff as listed above)

First aid kit (for both horse and rider)
Stud chain
Longe line/whip
wraps (polos, bell boots, etc)
rake, broom, large poop bucket
My own water for both horse and I. (I have been places where there is no water)

Extras (incase they break etc.) - Halter, lead rope, bridle, reins, a few bits (like a twisted incase horsey is too hot) saddle pad, girth.

Don't forget your helmet and gloves.

I keep a check list on my trailer door....

I was a girl scout when I was a kid and the motto "it's always best to be well prepared." Layer girls, layer!

I also keep a few extra jackets in my tack room.... and of course snacks for both you and your horse.

Gracious
Apr. 30, 2010, 05:59 PM
This blog series from COTH might be helpful: http://www.chronofhorse.com/article/gearing-show-season-part-4-5

NorthFaceFarm
Apr. 30, 2010, 06:36 PM
Cash. I am forever bumming a couple of bucks off people at shows for food and drinks because I don't normally carry cash and always forget that so many shows don't take plastic. ;)

But seriously - Extras. The stuff you know you will need is pretty obvious, but bring duplicates and back ups for all of that gear. Options and alternatives are nice too. Bits, reins, stirrup leathers, buckets, girths, laundry detergent! stirrup pads, gloves, hair nets, spur straps, crops/bats. Lots of first aid stuff for horse and rider. Drink cooler. Blankets! Even if its warm, it really is a huge pain when you're away from home and experience a surprise cold snap.

doublesstable
May. 7, 2010, 11:32 PM
I am preparing for an away show in a few weeks and found the link to the show list so I thought I would post it. And I added Duct Tape... Ha...

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35340

copper1
May. 8, 2010, 08:02 AM
I also keep a list to refer to but in my head I go through the day and think of what I need from the time I get up until I go to bed: feeding and cleaning stuff;grooming and braiding stuff, including step ladder; tack and tack room stuff-curtains, table, saddle racks, etc; show clothes from helmet down to boots; jammies and toothbrush for me. First aid kit for horse and rider, chairs, water, tool box with hammer, screw driver, pliers and various fastners like nails, screws, snaps, my white board to keep track of who goes wear and when.
I keep most of the stuff,other than tack, in the trailer so all I need to pack is clean saddle pads and towels, tack, fed and hay, and horses!