PDA

View Full Version : What classes do I enter?

spacytracy
Apr. 30, 2010, 11:38 AM
TIA for anyone that can help. I'm kind of on my own and have been out of the show game for quite a few years.

I'm 30. I own and ride a 9 yo 14 hand haflinger cross. I ride hunter/jumpers. He is what I would say green, but I have shown him - back when he was 3/4 I took him to a few rated shows but mostly schooing shows.

Here's an example of a schooling show I'd like to go to:
14. Green horse ENGLISH walk/trot/CANTER
15. Green horse over fences (2’, 2’3’ or 2’6”)
16. HUNTER OVER FENCES (2’, 2’3”, 2’6”)
17. HUNTER UNDER SADDLE
18. Open pleasure walk/trot
19. Open pleasure walk/trot/canter
20. Open pleasure over fences (2’)

Could I still take him in the greens? He has not placed first in any shows, and lets be honest, judges aren't looking to place me on a 14h pony when the rest of the class is riding 16h bay TB's.

Sorry this may seem so elementary to some but its been so long I've forgotten all the "rules".

Beam Me Up
Apr. 30, 2010, 11:51 AM
Does the prizelist (or the local organization that this show is part of) define green? Usually you can find that either in the prizelist for this show, or if it is affiliated with a local association, in their rules. It is probably something like first or second year of showing over fences.

RockinHorse
Apr. 30, 2010, 12:36 PM
You need o refer to the prizelist and if that does not help then you have to ask the show manager. If the class is for green horses, that sounds to me like it for horses and not ponies. The hunter or open may be more suitable, but again I would check and make sure what classes are available for an adult riding a pony.

hntrjmprpro45
Apr. 30, 2010, 12:49 PM
Generally "green" status is determined by some sort of timeline (like baby greens are usually in their 1st or 2nd year of showing). Usually classes listed as "novice" refer to the placings of the horse (like a novice hunter may be defined as a horse that hasn't won more than 3 blue ribbons, etc). Of course different show management will have different definitions- and the smaller the show, usually the "looser" the rules. Best thing would be to call and ask. You should also ask about if your pony can compete in the "horse" classes. Sometimes the prize list just says "horse" but the division is open to both horse and ponies. Othertimes (and usually at larger shows), if they say horse they mean it! Just depends...

December
Apr. 30, 2010, 01:17 PM
With what you have said about yourself and your horse I would show him in the green division at the height you feel comfortable at. I don't think you have to worry too much about a few shows when your horse was 3-4 years old affecting your green status.

stockhorselady
Apr. 30, 2010, 01:32 PM
Im sort of in the same boat. I'll probably do some beginner classes. The mare I will probably ride has a few years of USEF, and collegiate show records, so I dont think shes considered green anymore.