PDA

View Full Version : Oliver Townend picture in Sports Illustrated

eventerwannabe
Apr. 29, 2010, 10:51 PM
Did anyone else see the latest issue of Sports Illustrated and the picture of Oliver's fall is in the Leading Off section at the front of the magazine? Send shivers up my spine!!

riderboy
Apr. 29, 2010, 11:13 PM
I haven't seen it. I hope it at least mentions that both escaped without serious injury.

eventerwannabe
Apr. 29, 2010, 11:27 PM
It does mention that the horse was not injured and that Oliver was air lifted to the hospital and released.

riderboy
Apr. 30, 2010, 11:43 AM
It does mention that the horse was not injured and that Oliver was air lifted to the hospital and released.

That is good to hear, at least their readers will know how it all ended up.

piccolittle
Apr. 30, 2010, 04:19 PM
It is such a disappointment to me that many of us have tried so hard to get coverage from these national magazines for the heroes of our sport, and this is what they choose to run. Does anyone remember the campaign to get Teddy O'Connor featured in that magazine? He was a true inspiration, not only to riders, but to underdogs in any sport. And now it's too late, for him at least.

Shame on you, Sports Illustrated. You owe us a little positive coverage for this.

subk
Apr. 30, 2010, 04:49 PM
It is such a disappointment to me that many of us have tried so hard to get coverage from these national magazines for the heroes of our sport, and this is what they choose to run.
From the strictly "sports photography" side of things (if it's the same picture that was on the front page of the Lexington Herald) the photo is pretty incredible. I wouldn't be surprised to see it popping up again for the next 12 months for various photo awards. I can hardly blame SI for publishing it...

smokescreen
Apr. 30, 2010, 04:58 PM
Where can I see the photo? Is it online anywhere?

kookicat
Apr. 30, 2010, 04:59 PM
Horse&Hound ran one too this week. I showed it to my Mum, who was convinced the Oli was dead.

He does have a laundry list of broken bones though- they were listed in H&H this week. Shoulder, ribs, sternum, collarbone... ouch.

JennieRose
Apr. 30, 2010, 05:09 PM
We were all passing that issue of Horse and Hound around today. So glad he came out of it relatively okay and that the horse was fine.

vineyridge
Apr. 30, 2010, 05:15 PM
I've been wondering if he was wearing his inflatable vest, and if so, how horrific his injuries might have been without it.

The photo in the Lexington paper was terrifying. The way his head was OVER the lower log made it look as if a broken neck could have been all too likely.

rideforthelaurels16
Apr. 30, 2010, 05:18 PM
vineyridge, this is totally off topic, but the first line of your signature had me giggling. When I was like, five, my mom taught me that ENTIRE song. Gotta love the Pythons. :lol:

kookicat
Apr. 30, 2010, 05:42 PM
I've been wondering if he was wearing his inflatable vest, and if so, how horrific his injuries might have been without it.

The photo in the Lexington paper was terrifying. The way his head was OVER the lower log made it look as if a broken neck could have been all too likely.

Yep, he had an inflatable vest on. There's been a few people who have said that it likely saved him from a broken neck.

ntoeventing
Apr. 30, 2010, 06:23 PM
I just saw the one in Sports Illustrated. It's the same one they had in the Lexington newspaper. Looks horrible. Glad they are both ok.

flutie1
Apr. 30, 2010, 06:52 PM
There is a certain segment of the eventing population that has the opinion that making the sport "mainstream" would attract sponsors which would solve all our problems. Consider then that in the past decade and a half, mainstream front page eventing news has been about Christopher Reeves, (most metropolitan papers) Darren's fall at Red Hills, (front page NY Times), and now Oliver Townend, (S.I.), Well folks, we got our press coverage. Now what do we do with it?
Personally, I'd be happy NOT to be a mainstream household word!

flutie

JER
Apr. 30, 2010, 07:21 PM

vineyridge, he was wearing his vest but the various images, still and moving, indicate the vest had not inflated when the horse made contact with the fallen OT.

For more (and I mean much, much more) on this, check out the 'air jacket' thread.

His injuries probably would have been the same without it.

archieflies
Apr. 30, 2010, 09:41 PM
There is a certain segment of the eventing population that has the opinion that making the sport "mainstream" would attract sponsors which would solve all our problems. Consider then that in the past decade and a half, mainstream front page eventing news has been about Christopher Reeves, (most metropolitan papers) Darren's fall at Red Hills, (front page NY Times), and now Oliver Townend, (S.I.), Well folks, we got our press coverage. Now what do we do with it?
Personally, I'd be happy NOT to be a mainstream household word!

flutie

I dunno... you mention three instances in 15 years. (Has it really been that long since the Reeves fall? 15 years next month!) I'd venture to say that curling, rhythmic gymnastics, and fencing have had as much coverage, and I'd hardly call them "mainstream household words" either. Truly making something "mainstream" would comprise of positive coverage, likely more often than every five years, and the negatives at a more proportional rate. Keeping the sport on the fringe results in only the negative pictures getting out... because anytime there's something THAT freakish as a picture of a horse laying on a man's head, it WILL get out.

riderboy
Apr. 30, 2010, 10:06 PM
Disclaimer: I am first and foremost for improving horse and rider safety. That said, we do have a tough PR battle to present our sport as the incredible sport it is and we don't seem to do it all that well.

Meredith Clark
May. 1, 2010, 12:00 AM
Graphic or stunning photos always get published no matter what sport.

Remember the photo of Mike Tyson biting Holyfield's ear off??

That was EVERYWHERE and way freakier!

JustTheTicket
May. 1, 2010, 08:57 PM
Where can I see the photo? Is it online anywhere?

http://www.kentucky.com/2010/04/25/1238141/rider-townend-injured-in-fall.html

Here's a link to the article, with a series of photos of the fall.

Carol Ames
May. 7, 2010, 11:56 PM
from the television angle I saw, the horse stop, drop onto his forehand, stick his neck over and down, a movement I became all too familiar :eek:with my last prelim horse:cry:; this move resulted in the rider going over the horses' head:o onto the ground on the landing side, the momentum carried the horses' body over the fence and he fell/ landed:eek: on Oli; this photo gives an entirely different impression; I wonder what the JJ saw :confused: