PDA

View Full Version : Rolex hotel reviews

wsmoak
Apr. 29, 2010, 07:46 PM
So... where did you stay, and will you go back?

Rolex didn't work out for me this year, it was just too soon after multiple cross country trips moving out here. But now that I'm on the east coast, I *really* want to go next year!

scubed
Apr. 29, 2010, 07:54 PM
Made my reservations late, so ended up at the Holiday Inn in N. Lexington (near the Cracker Barrel). It was fine, but I wasn't that impressed. For the price, I'd probably go back to cheapy Winner's Circle, because this was pretty pricey for the quality.

Popped into Deltawave's room at the Fairfield and thought that was pretty nice.

Heard the Days Inn Georgetown was exceptionally disgusting, but that Microtel was acceptable.

Maybe I'll get the DH to come again next year, which mean's Griffin's Gate :D

avezan
Apr. 29, 2010, 09:01 PM
I stayed at the disgusting Days Inn! Ha! Actually, I didn't find it disgusting. it was fine. It is in dire need of updating, though. I wasn't there that much anyway. It was close and cheap and the people running it were nice. The bed was too soft. I made my reservations kind of late. I'm interested in hearing about other places that are close and cheap and a little more updated. I'll make my reservations earlier next year!

pegasusmom
Apr. 29, 2010, 09:03 PM
Microtel in Georgetown. Acceptable. Nothing special.

TXnGA
Apr. 29, 2010, 09:11 PM
Marriott griffin gate. was great as usual- wish I could find the time to give the spa a try, but the horse activities win out every time. I think you have to book early though. I think we're at marriott again WEG.

The hotel is wonderful and updated.The food is great, although no meals are complimentary. The bar is also nice. The house keeping service even comes in around 7 to fold down the bed and put mints on your pillow. I don't think I have one bad moment there, and the staff were very helpful and nice.

Carolinadreamin'
Apr. 29, 2010, 09:14 PM
Thanks to someone's recommendation here on coth, we had reservations at the Hampton Inn in Georgetown (just one exit down from the park). The morning we were scheduled to leave, they called saying they had overbooked and that we were "bumped up" to their sister hotel across the street. So, for the same price, we stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn and they threw in free breakfast for each day. Good thing, since breakfast there costs $8.95/day! It was wonderful, we were very happy. We're crossing our fingers that we'll be bumped again next year.

mustangsal85
Apr. 29, 2010, 09:40 PM
I've stayed at the Red Roof but don't really remember it but I think it was nice enough. Last year we stayed at the Days Inn and assuming there isn't another one around the only thing I enjoyed was the adjacent bar with plenty of people watching and a patio that we could sit on with the pup. This year we were lucky and were able to get a free room at the Sleep Inn courtesy of my dad's reward points. We booked late but it was on Man O'War Blvd which is a nice area, with lots of restaurants around. They were SO friendly and courteous, no issues with check in or out. And dog friendly which is a necessity for us, it was $35 for 2 nights for the pup, would have been $10 more for each additional night. I think the room was about $130 a night so it wasn't cheap by any means and I don't think we would opt for it in the future just for financial reasons but I would definitely recommend it if you don't mind spending the extra money. The convenience of having restaurants and a Target, etc around was invaluable. And about 15 min from KHP not too shabby at all.

Kap
Apr. 29, 2010, 11:09 PM
I stayed about half an hour away at the EconoLodge in Richmond, KY. Awful, but I suppose you could say that's to be expected at a budget hotel. There were dozens of EKU college guys staying there, and they were outside in the parking lot and in the walkways screaming, yelling, and throwing bottles against the building walls until 2am. They did not shut up for one second. Finally the hotel manager went out and quieted them down. Then I was awakened at 6am when the dumpster outside my door got dumped with a deafening crash.

I know it's a budget hotel, but quieting down your VERY loud guests who are tailgating in the wee hours of the morning in the parking lot right outside the guests' rooms costs not a cent. The guy in the front lobby could both hear it and see it and he didn't go tell them to shut up until I got through to him on the telephone and begged him to.

Next time I'll spend a little more and be able to sleep through the night.

kch7238
Apr. 30, 2010, 10:54 AM
[
B]Posted byCarolinadreamin' [/B]Thanks to someone's recommendation here on coth, we had reservations at the Hampton Inn in Georgetown (just one exit down from the park). The morning we were scheduled to leave, they called saying they had overbooked and that we were "bumped up" to their sister hotel across the street. So, for the same price, we stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn and they threw in free breakfast for each day.

Same thing happened to us. We were bumped from the Hampton to the Hilton Garden Inn on the day we flew out. I asked and they said the Hampton was painting rooms. In Lexington on Rolex week??? Really??? I had the room booked a year in advance so was surprised to be bumped. However, it was great at the Hilton, spoiled us totally, and several competitors and officials stayed there, so we were people watching alot as well.

caffeinated
Apr. 30, 2010, 11:03 AM
The ramada conference center... location was perfect but the hotel itself wasn't so great. Thin walls, nothing fancy. But nothing horrible either (compared to the year we stayed at... shoot, I don't remember which one it was. But I do remember that three out of the four rooms we'd booked had exploding toilets or other plumbing issues). We did want to use the pool and stuff, but were unable to due to swarms of kids in there at all hours of the day and night.

The other ramada, up by man o war blvd, was pretty decent last year. We were supposed to stay there again but somehow got booked at the conference center one.

Dramapony_misty
Apr. 30, 2010, 11:35 AM
Days Inn on Georgetown. People were nice, but I won't be going back. It was only after the reservation was made that I saw the 1 star reviews all over the net. Oh well. I won't be going back. Old gum stuck in the carpet, dark room, desperate need of rennovation. And the walls/windows/doors where so thin I thought I was sleeping in a tent. I was woken up one morning by birds chirping...BIRDS! And not loud ones either! I kept thinking a window was open but the window didn't open like that.

NOT going back there!

EventingFever
Apr. 30, 2010, 11:40 AM
I have been going to Rolex for the past five years and each and every time we have stayed at the Embassy Suites. Albeit it is pretty pricey, it is definitely worth it. It is only a 10-15 minute drive to the horse park. The suites are spacious, there is a pool and workout room. All your breakfasts are included in the price, and wow is the food ever good. There is a cooked to order counter where you can get eggs, omelets, pancakes, etc. There are also cereals, yogurt, fruit, toast, sausage, bacon, etc. Many of the venders, coaches and even some riders stayed there. I would definitely reccomend it! The first year we went to Rolex we had booked Days Inn but it turned out that they had double-booked so luckily we drove by Embassy and it turned out they still had a few free rooms! :)

vineyridge
Apr. 30, 2010, 12:29 PM
I stayed at the Winner's Circle in Georgetown for the first time. Low end motel, but I'm a pretty low end person. I'd stay again for the following reasons: nice people at the desk, plenty of hot water in a bath that actually drained. Lots of fresh towels, and (frankly) at Rolex, I don't spend a lot of time in the room. It's very conveniently located, so could head back between the 3D and the Kentucky Cup events. As far as I was concerned, my room was soundproof.

It's near lots of chain restaurants and Old Town Georgetown, where, thanks to a Rolex spectator, I found a decent Thai restaurant behind the SavaLot grocery store. It's called Thai Garden Restaurant (I think), and the only major flaw was that it had neither beer nor wine. Very basic restaurant with no ambiance. But then I'm a low end person. :)

And it IS cheap--very cheap for Rolex rooms in the Lexington area.

CookiePony
Apr. 30, 2010, 01:52 PM
My usual go-to hotel around the KHP is the La Quinta, because usually I am traveling with dogs and it is very dog-friendly. It is not fancy but the rooms are clean and bright, and everything works.

This time I opted to go at the last minute and wound up bunking with friends at the Days Inn at exit 113. It's, um, a little bit worn, dingy and dated. The toilet had to be from the 1970s-- it was almost triangular and flushed by pressing a button way low down on the side! The shower was the best part-- plentiful hot water. I have been warned against the attached restaurant/dive bar so I cannot comment there, but in some rooms you can hear the music at night.

I have also stayed at the Georgetown Best Western and been very pleased. It was spotless and tastefully decorated-- a cut above both of the other hotels I mentioned.

Haf N Haf
Apr. 30, 2010, 01:55 PM
Two HUGE thumbs DOWN for Country Inn & Suites in Lexington.

The bed was hard as a rock. Hubby and I both woke up sore and exhausted. All the towels, pillows and sheets had a funky smell. The towels were so hard and crunchy they were scratchy. :(

The room was okay (appeared clean and neat), but the bathroom had dead bugs on the counter. :no: Throughout the room and bathroom there were vary obvious "repairs." Hubby and I had a king suite to the tune of $203.00 for one night.

I even submitted a complaint and got a "sorry." :rolleyes:

Whatever, next year I was thinking about the Fairfield Inn. That looked really nice.

I don't expect royal accomodations. But hubby and I never go anywhere and we were trying to make this a nice, romantic weekend since we never get away. It was just very disappointing since I ASSuMEd that a $200 room would be very classy. Live and learn! :yes: :lol:

HungarianHippo
Apr. 30, 2010, 05:36 PM
Firstimer Rolexers, and we were at the Best Western, on the eastern side of Lexington right off the highway. Common areas and hallways were all a bit shabby, and the breakfast room was kinda grody. But room was clean and quiet, and these days at 79/night, it's about all you can ask for. No not disappointed because expectations were not very high. Very easy drive to KHP-maybe 15min via Georgetown road.
The stay did start off HORRIBLY because we booked a nonsmoking room through Priceline, but upon checkin they said that Priceline had booked us in a smoking room (and the hotel was sold out so there was nothing they could do). The room smelled truly disgusting. I stayed polite but insisted that they really, really needed to find a solution for us. And, about 20min later, the guy at the desk said he could put us in one of their suites at no extra charge. So I have to say the staff really pulled through. Would have been nice not to have had that problem after a 9-hour drive, but it's quite possible it really was Priceline's mistake.
We did wish we knew where the active evening "scene" was. We figured there must be bars full of rolexers, SOMEwhere, but never seemed to find where the people all were.

wildREDhorse
May. 2, 2010, 12:59 AM
We were also booked at Hampton in Georgetown, but got bumped to Hilton Garden Inn - also got the free breakfast. The girl who was... I suppose, the "waitress" was not the most personable... but also did nothing but deliver bills to the table... until she realized you had the free breakfast card... After you hunted her down after she refused to make eye contact... But then again, sometimes I get that kind of "service" as I look like I am 14, but am much older! Rooms were very nice - clean - well kept. Beds just right, soft, fluffy comforters - fridge, microwave, free internet, etc. Breakfast was typical continental breakfast, had fresh fruit or cereal. Would definitely stay there again.

HungarianHippo... I'll tell you where the night scene was... finding some sustenance and falling asleep!! LOL!

allpurpose
May. 2, 2010, 08:43 AM
Were booked at the Days Inn at Exit 129, drove into the parking lot, took one look and drove right back out. Looked shabbier then it did 10 years ago when I stayed there and vowed never to go back!

Got on the phone in the parking lot and called around to hotels (mostly at Georgetown Exit 126), and was shocked to discover there were PLENTY of rooms available all over, at much lower prices than the usual Rolex prices. Turns out they jack the prices for the weekend (duh), but if they don't sell the rooms, they're negotiable. Found a queen room at Country Inn and Suites for $119, not the $189 they had advertised. Manager admitted he just wanted to rent the room and go home. HA!

Haven't had a problem at the Country Inn like another poster mentioned.

Almost Heaven
May. 2, 2010, 09:48 AM
Gold/Platinum Hilton Honors members bumped you - there was no painting going on during Rolex.

kch7238
May. 3, 2010, 10:52 AM
Gold/Platinum Hilton Honors members bumped you - there was no painting going on during Rolex.

I am a platinum Hilton Honors member and still got bumped!! Actually, they did me a favor. I thoroughly enjoyed the Hilton Garden Inn!!

SR Rider
May. 3, 2010, 11:27 AM
I stay at the Microtel in Georgetowne quite a bit...not fancy, but convenient to the park and across the street from Cracker Barrel, Fazolis, 1 mile to Walmart, Applebees, Steak N Shake, OCharley's, Subway, a Pizza Joint, and McD's...what more could you want!

Alibhai's Alibar
May. 3, 2010, 12:03 PM
Best Western on Elkhorn Road. They met my expectations and I was satisfied with service and with the room.

sisu27
May. 3, 2010, 12:24 PM
Courtyard Marriot.

It was ok. Hot tub/pool door didn't seem to lock after hours....that was nice.

smay
May. 3, 2010, 12:38 PM
Well I can't beat our hotel from '09, when we went on hotwire.com at the last minute and got the Lexington Hyatt for $55/night, but this year, also via hotwire, we got into the Hilton Garden Inn, prior to the big bump fest. The day before Rolex, we got the call that they "needed" our double room, and traded us for a king room ( no biggie) and free breakfast. The free breakfast was a NICE perk and yes, it's expensive without that coupon! I thought the "waitress" attendant was fine, so I tipped her a couple bucks. That must have been the difference! haha ANYWAY, the Hilton Garden Inn was brand new, really clean, nice rooms, a pool/hot tub area that was empty, which my daughter really enjoyed, and I would go back there any day. Thumbs up for that.

KBG Eventer
May. 3, 2010, 12:39 PM
Perks to having my dad travel almost every week the entire year= Platinum Hilton Honors member and staying at Embassy Suites when we go to KY. It's super nice, the beds and pillows are extremely comfortable, breakfast is yummy, and the dinner or room service from Paddock Grille downstairs is delicious. It's 10 minutes from the KHP.

We have also stayed at the Hampton and Hilton Garden Inn, and they are both great as well. The Hilton Garden Inn has a great breakfast.

FairWeather
May. 3, 2010, 12:56 PM
Ramada Conference Center--Old, outdated and strong scent of poo-fume but functional.
I couldn't help but think "i'm a grown-a$$ woman with a grown-A$$ job, I'm staying at the Griffen Gate or Embassy Suites next year!"

Sulta
May. 3, 2010, 01:20 PM
Bluegrass Extended Stay - a bargain at $40/night. Nothing fancy, but clean and neat. No amenities, but we were just looking for a shower and a bed. About a mile off Man o' War blvd.

Carolinadreamin'
May. 3, 2010, 01:39 PM
Sooo, how do we get bumped again next year??!!

kch7238
May. 3, 2010, 02:07 PM
Ha! Carolinadreamin, I wish we could arrange to be bumped again. I was seriously thinking about booking rooms now for next year, but need to check out what the Hilton Garden's actual rates are, since we were charged Hampton prices. I have a feeling that I will be booking the Hampton! And crossing my fingers!