PDA

View Full Version : EAP at SCAD this weekend

mroades
Apr. 29, 2010, 07:12 PM
Anyone going to watch?

mroades
Apr. 30, 2010, 09:44 AM
wow..nobody? I am taking my students to see melanie smith taylor coach the best kids in the zone. What a missed opportunity for folks!

KnKShowmom
Apr. 30, 2010, 11:25 AM
I wish I was closer to your zone, DD really wanted to audit this year but alas we just got back from Atlanta and I am not ready for another road trip yet.

Our zone had the great idea of having their session on a Monday and Tuesday - DD missed 3 days of school last week for IEA nationals so missing another 2 days to watch a clinic probably isn't a good idea with exams right around the corner.

InTheDark
Apr. 30, 2010, 09:25 PM
How exciting! I couldn't find much info on the USHJA site. Can we just sign up to audit "at the door"??

mroades
Apr. 30, 2010, 09:31 PM
I am quite sure you can sign up at the door...but I heard they were charging 75.00 to audit. :no:

Vandy
Apr. 30, 2010, 10:02 PM
Mroades, where are you finding info re: auditing costs, extra fees, etc? Assuming that would mean that trainers and parents must pay an auditing fee as well?

Just found out today my rider was accepted for Zone 8 :D Was hoping to bring some kids from the barn to watch, but definitely want to know all the details first. I also heard last year that folks from some zones were surprised by extra fees (stabling, parking, etc) not covered by the $250...any idea what the deal is? Or does it vary by location?

InTheDark
Apr. 30, 2010, 10:03 PM
re: the 75 dollar fee

oh my....hope it includes lunch

In the Air
Apr. 30, 2010, 10:19 PM
Eliza is there as we speak. I have the rest of the students at a show so we are not going to be able to attend. :cry:

I would so love to watch her teach the kids.

dray
May. 1, 2010, 12:44 AM
I wold love to get feedback from this. My daughter made the EAP riders list for Zone 7. We are so proud...and excited!

SmileItLooksGoodOnYou
May. 1, 2010, 01:00 AM
I made the 1.10 list for zone 7 and understand that I can bring one person with me to audit for free, and anyone else after that has to pay whatever the fee is?

With where the clinic is being held here I see the auditing fee being hard to enforce.

KnKShowmom
May. 1, 2010, 06:17 AM
According to HorseshowsOnline, the audit fee for Zone 3 is only $25 - a great deal if you don't have that little inconvenience of school to deal with!

findeight
May. 1, 2010, 10:06 AM
I also heard last year that folks from some zones were surprised by extra fees (stabling, parking, etc) not covered by the $250...any idea what the deal is? Or does it vary by location?

The $250 fee goes to USHJA for running the program and providing the clinician. The venue hosting does not get any of it and has to provide stabling, parking, lunch and what not. What and how much that would run deepends on who hosts and where it is as well as what their out of pocket costs to host are (which could include reschedualing or cancelling lesssons for their in house clients). Usually costs quite a bit to put these things on, they can't do it for free.

mroades
May. 1, 2010, 05:46 PM
well, it was interesting

klmck63
May. 1, 2010, 07:02 PM
well, it was interesting

Care to elaborate?

SkipChange
May. 1, 2010, 07:06 PM
Care to elaborate?

I second that.
Pretty please mroades!

mroades
May. 1, 2010, 09:05 PM
it seems if cavaletti is a lost art

klmck63
May. 1, 2010, 09:43 PM
it seems if cavaletti is a lost art

Oh, tantalizing little tid-bits. :p

It's okay, you can tell me, I'm Canadian and hardly ever make it down south. I won't tell.

Beenthere
May. 1, 2010, 10:27 PM
WE are here and it has been a wonderful experience. The facility is amazing and Andrea Wells and Jessica Anselmo of SCAD have really made the kids feel welcome. Melanie is absolutely perfect. I watched it all and yes, many had huge difficulties with pole work. Kindof a sad reality. I was also surprised and riders not using martingales on those that needed or being over or under bitted.

My kid did 1.2m section and she had an amazing time. Missy if your there tomorrow please say hi.....there were not alot of auditors over and above parents of kids who were participating. I am shocked more riders don't sign up for this amazing program.

PS Eliza was great in her section...i hope she makes EAP 2 because she deserves to

all the riders were gracious and friendly to each other. that was wonderful to see

OGF
May. 3, 2010, 05:01 PM
We were at SCAD this weekend and LOVED Melanie. She really taught while assessing, was very organized and laid great groundwork on Saturday for what she wanted to see them do on Sunday. Plus, I loved her approaching everything from a goal of teamwork with the horse and encouraging the kids to understand their horse - why horses sometimes do the things they do. She talked about keeping your horse with you - tuned in and paying attention to you - at times when most riders probably aren't paying that much attention themselves. Tons of transition work to reinforce that and make the horses more elastic.

I would jump at the chance to get my daughter to another clinic with her. She set a high standard for them and was in no way brutal but still got her message across.

And SCAD is just absolutely gorgeous and put on a very nice event. Dozens of tulips in vases.... on the white tableclothed breakfast/lunch tables.....on the spacious deck....under the big live oak trees.... was quite nice.

mroades
May. 3, 2010, 08:43 PM
Unfortunately I was not able to attend on sunday as I had to go give a clinic myself! I truly enjoyed Melanie. I had lots of food for thought on the way to my clinic, and was able to put into action some of her good stuff for the kids/adults I taught on sunday.

My favorite quote was " a horse will stay if he knows he is free to leave"