PDA

View Full Version : Dress for starter trial?

Tap2Tango
Apr. 29, 2010, 02:42 PM
It's been a longgggggg time since I've evented. I'm riding a horse for a friend at the fair hill starter trial this weekend and want to make sure I'm dressed appropriately. Obviously a polo is acceptable for SJ and XC but what about for dressage? Is that too informal? If it is, I'm assuming tan breeches and a navy coat w/ a choker is the way to go? White breeches and black jacket would be way out of place for a starter trial, correct? Should I just pack up my entire closet and bring it along?
Also, are rowel spurs legal for the jumping phases?

AzuWish
Apr. 29, 2010, 02:45 PM
You can always contact the organizers. For example, in my nearby association they allow hoof boots, no braids and don't do bit checks for dressage.

But many braid, don't use leg protection and wear our jackets at the shows (as a sign of respect for the judge but also to help you prepare for future bigger shows). For the dressage portion anyway.

Contact the organizer and ask what is required and then ask what the norm is :)

Have fun and good luck!

Beam Me Up
Apr. 29, 2010, 02:57 PM
I would contact the organizers too, to find out if people usually wear jackets.

In general though I think there are only 2 likely answers:
- No, go with the polo shirt
- Yes, most people will wear coats (in which case jacket/breeches color or tie/choker would probably not matter either way).

Meredith Clark
Apr. 29, 2010, 02:57 PM
I've competed at Fair Hill's unrec quite a few times. You'll be fine in a navy jacket and white shirt, you'd also be fine in a black jacket and white pants.

There's a range of people who compete from pony clubbers who are doing their first HT to local pro's who come well dressed.

Don't bust out the top hat and tails but otherwise you'll be fine!

short answer: wear a dark colored jacket, a light or white colored shirt and clean breeches of the tan or white persuasion.

kcrubin
Apr. 29, 2010, 04:32 PM
most people wear dress as if for a recognized horse trial. I always feel weird dressing and not braiding and since I'm not braiding I'm going with a polo shirt and breeches/boots. I expect to be the only one dressed like that but . . .
call me a trend setter. My horse and tack will be clean. At the recognized I'll braid and dress.

kcr

Highflyer
Apr. 29, 2010, 04:47 PM
Seems like at FH the majority are somewhere in the tan breeches/ dark jacket vicinity, but you see both ends of the spectrum (polos and formal attire.) It's supposed to be quite warm, and if you're riding later in the day I wouldn't hesitate to wear a polo, personally. No roweled spurs. Make sure you have a medical armband for sj and armband and vest for xc--most people wear the vest for both, unless you have a ground person to hold it for you.

Tap2Tango
Apr. 29, 2010, 10:28 PM
Seems like at FH the majority are somewhere in the tan breeches/ dark jacket vicinity, but you see both ends of the spectrum (polos and formal attire.) It's supposed to be quite warm, and if you're riding later in the day I wouldn't hesitate to wear a polo, personally. No roweled spurs. Make sure you have a medical armband for sj and armband and vest for xc--most people wear the vest for both, unless you have a ground person to hold it for you.

So no rowels at all? Not even in the jumping phases??? Is there a maximum length you can have for the spur? My dressage time is around 1 but I will wear my coat regardless of the weather. Dressage in a polo does seem silly now that I think about it. Especially since I ride jumpers and wear my coat 99.9% of the time for that! I have my arm band and will wear my vest for xc.

asterix
Apr. 29, 2010, 10:43 PM
Just as an FYI, at RECOGNIZED horse trials that contest all three phases in one day (so, most of the lower levels in area II, for example), you are no longer required to wear a jacket.
Ever.

Read that again.

Most people don't seem to have absorbed this, but you can wear a polo or show shirt (no neckwear) and no jacket in dressage.

I am running Training at a recognized event this weekend. It'll be in the 80s when I ride. You can bet I'll be riding without a jacket.

It doesn't impact your score, trust me.

Be neat and within the rules and you will be fine.

Spurs: yes, there is a maximum length allowed for dressage, as well as allowed types. No restriction I am aware of for jumping.
Armband: REQUIRED FOR STADIUM as well as xc.
have fun!

Janet
Apr. 29, 2010, 10:52 PM
So no rowels at all? Not even in the jumping phases??? Is there a maximum length you can have for the spur? Other way round.

Smooth rowels are permitted for dressage, but not jumping

4. SPURS. Spurs may be worn at any time. Spurs are required in the dressage test at the
Intermediate and Advanced levels. Spurs capable of wounding a horse are forbidden. Spurs
must be of smooth metal. If there is a shank it must not be longer than 3.5 cm (1 3/8 inches)
and must point only towards the rear. Rowels are not permitted except as in 5(c) (below). If
the shank is curved, the spurs must be worn only with the shank directed downwards.
“Dummy spurs” with no shank and swan neck spurs are allowed. Metal or plastic spurs with
round hard plastic or metal knobs are allowed (“Impuls” spur).
5. DRESSAGE TEST.
c. ... Roweled spurs are permitted for the Dressage test (at all levels) and when
practicing/warming-up for the Dressage test. If rowels are used, they must be free to
rotate and the rowel must be round and smooth (no tines allowed)

Meredith Clark
Apr. 29, 2010, 11:00 PM
Just as an FYI, at RECOGNIZED horse trials that contest all three phases in one day (so, most of the lower levels in area II, for example), you are no longer required to wear a jacket.
Ever.

Read that again.

I understand that but the OP wanted to know what the majority would be wearing and the majority will be wearing jackets. I was at a Pony Club unrec. event a few weekends ago, very local, and almost everyone was wearing a jacket.

I don't think for any reason that my score would be effected if I had been in a polo (nor can it be by the rules) but it was nice seeing everyone dressed well. I wear a jacket as long as it's not obscenely hot because I think it shows respect to the judge and organization and it also makes me feel serious and fancy! :lol:

To each his own!

asterix
Apr. 29, 2010, 11:15 PM
You are quite right, Meredith, and I know the OP wants to fit in and that was the correct answer!

But I just hate to think of all those folks this weekend sweating in their jackets when they don't have to. I try and show respect for the judge by being prepared and riding the best test I can; if it's hot enough that wearing the jacket is a nuisance, I'm happy to be rid of it!

It's OT, I know, but a pet peeve of mine; this is a sport, and if the rules allow us to be more comfortable while competing, that is a good thing!

Meredith Clark
Apr. 29, 2010, 11:18 PM
I try and show respect for the judge by being prepared and riding the best test I can; if it's hot enough that wearing the jacket is a nuisance, I'm happy to be rid of it!

!

These days, my only hope of impressing the judge is with my style :lol:

It's funny, for an event I'm all about looking snazzy but god forbid jackets don't get excused at a hunter show you will hear me whine!

asterix
Apr. 29, 2010, 11:27 PM
Yeah, and no doubt style can count, but...after scribing, I have learned that when the judge writes "nice turnout" (or somesuch) at the bottom of your test....
it's usually the only nice thing she can think of to say....:D

I am totally incapable of winning the best turned out award, just not built that way, so I imagine when my tests are wretched the judge is sitting there thinking "well, can't say nice turnout...hmmm..."