PDA

View Full Version : Whats "in" this season?

laniethomas
Apr. 29, 2010, 03:20 PM
I couldn't find another thread on this topic, but if there is one then just let me know.

As hunter/jumper riders, many of us spend our winters agonizing over what will be in style next show session. What would you say are the biggest trends right now for horse and rider?:)

sansibar
Apr. 29, 2010, 03:30 PM
What I have noticed are front zip breeches are more popular now, as well as jackets with piping or the velvet patches at the top parts. Ribbon belts and sparkley belts are out, traditional brown belts are very in. White show shirts and navy blue coats are also very in. Here in Ontario most people are sporting the Marigold show shirts with the "V"s embroidered on the collar and cuff.

laniethomas
Apr. 29, 2010, 04:34 PM
Black jackets seem to be very in right now also, the marigold ones are very nice.

Summit Springs Farm
Apr. 29, 2010, 05:02 PM
I've seen alot of the new GPA helmet

BLBGP
Apr. 29, 2010, 05:10 PM
Riding really well.

NorthFaceFarm
Apr. 29, 2010, 08:07 PM
Riding really well.

Heh, I was going to say the "in" thing seems to be the backwards ride :no:

SmileItLooksGoodOnYou
Apr. 30, 2010, 12:02 PM
The Speed Air, seen mostly in all black.

Black and grey jackets.

The colors seem to be pink to salmon, and minty greens for both show shirts and polos.

Plain belts in black and brown.

Shirts with patterns inside the cuffs/collar (not really new, but still in). Especially the colored snap collar shirts Essex is doing in this style.

I'm seeing more and more colored breeches in the jumper ring... and dark fly bonnets seem to be hitting big around here. (We do have an abundance of bugs though.)

rugbygirl
Apr. 30, 2010, 12:14 PM
3 year old Clydesdales not in style then? :winkgrin:

If I were to be considering a new helmet, would I want to go with a Speed Air to be fashionable? Or is my Charles Owen GR8 still going to be ok? I like the CO, but I am open to a change.

Also, can someone please bring ribbon belts BACK into style?

InWhyCee Redux
Apr. 30, 2010, 12:31 PM
Thank god. Sooooooo relieved to know that if I ever show again, I won't have points taken off for wearing the black (aka "midnight navy") jacket I bought on clearance 10 years ago. ;)

BAC
Apr. 30, 2010, 12:33 PM

If you like them, then just wear them, who cares what everyone else is wearing? With your coat on the belt is barely visible anyway. Maybe you will make them popular again.

sansibar
Apr. 30, 2010, 12:34 PM
3 year old Clydesdales not in style then? :winkgrin:

If I were to be considering a new helmet, would I want to go with a Speed Air to be fashionable? Or is my Charles Owen GR8 still going to be ok? I like the CO, but I am open to a change.

I went with a speed air this year but switch back and forth between the GR8 and speed air some times.

Also ogilvy pads are super popular up here! :yes:

rugbygirl
Apr. 30, 2010, 12:37 PM
Maybe you will make them popular again.

I'm joking, I show about one rated a year, and what I am wearing is usually the LAST thing on my mind...Adult Ammie with one of those unpredictable jobs that means I'm lucky to roll into the show with enough time to braid my horse...and even LUCKIER if I ride well enough to get in a nice trip! :lol:

I DO like my ribbon belt though...

On the helmet topic, that's one where I like to know what is in style. Helmet is definitely the part of my wardrobe I concern myself with the most! Follwed by gloves.

Tiffany01
Apr. 30, 2010, 12:48 PM
C.O. Helmets

KateKat
Apr. 30, 2010, 12:52 PM
in my area I've noticed a TON of people with the new Antares helmet (jumpers, of course).

Ozone
Apr. 30, 2010, 02:31 PM
Got a GPA then the next best GPA then a Gr8 then a..... then a....

If I kept up with trend after trend, year after year I would be one big brokester.... only helmet rich :)

crazyhorses
Apr. 30, 2010, 02:57 PM
I've seen lots of the Antares helmets... ugly if you ask me! haha

Void
Apr. 30, 2010, 03:06 PM
I got a light brown coat at a consignment store, anyone still wearing light coats, or is it all dark coats this season?

Running Fox Farm
Apr. 30, 2010, 08:19 PM
Got a GPA then the next best GPA then a Gr8 then a..... then a....If I kept up with trend after trend, year after year I would be one big brokester.... only helmet rich :)

I hate "what's in"! If we all stopped catering to "what's in" we'd all be a lot richer and we could spend that money on...???

enjoytheride
Apr. 30, 2010, 09:34 PM
I love what's "in" there's nothing wrong with dressing fashionably and spending money on things we like. I love buying new things even though I usually buy them on sale!

doublesstable
Apr. 30, 2010, 09:42 PM
I hate "what's in"! If we all stopped catering to "what's in" we'd all be a lot richer and we could spend that money on...???

Its fashion and that's what makes those companies money....

Although I am an "old school" kind of gal and have enough to worry about just remembering my course! :lol:

Remember brick colored breeches? :lol: Yeah, I showed that long ago.. Also had a huntcoat with navy blue velvet colar and matching helmet... not certified. There was no such thing then. No seat belts, no cell phones, no baby cars seats - - And I "survived" what do you know.

Fun Size
Apr. 30, 2010, 09:49 PM
Perfect timing on this thread! I have to replace my helmet and buy a second dark hunt coat this weekend. The helmet is like 6 years old and I've now had 1 minor and 1 moderate fall on the thing (those are land on feet, get knocked over by momentum and roll over hitting my head). I'm basically doing a medal class at every show, so I only buy dark coats now. Coats...what am I talking about...I only have 1 navy and 1 tan so far!

So anyway, yay for black because that is the color both the Grand Prix and the RJ Classics soft shell stretchy coats come in - the new ones that are supposed to be this new high tech material.

I'm going to look at them this weekend. I have a tendency to destroy the lining of my coats...I'm a weird shape, and I'm hoping stretch will help! :D

On my list for this weekend's sale:
CO AYR8 all black
Stretchy show coat
Maybe another white shirt (I do like the Essex with the color inside the collar - pretty stretch and really light and cool!)

Mukluk
May. 1, 2010, 12:54 AM
What ever's really out is going to be the next big thing. Be ahead of the trend!!!

SmileItLooksGoodOnYou
May. 1, 2010, 02:07 AM
C.O. Helmets

Tiff, They're 3-4 years old of a trend now. There's nothing new or "this season" about them.

in my area I've noticed a TON of people with the new Antares helmet (jumpers, of course).

I've seen lots of the Antares helmets... ugly if you ask me! haha

I have to agree with that. I can't see even schooling in one. They're so far from flattering.

superpony123
May. 1, 2010, 02:11 AM
i keep seeing those hideous antares helmets on more and more heads.. yuck! *cringe* i feel like if we're going to make such hideous helmets, we ought to start making hideous things to match (you know, pink hunt coats and stuff. can you even imagine?? sadly, there WILL probably come a day....)

as far as helmets go, i don't think you can ever *really* go out of style with a classic style helmet like a CO hampton; if more people want to wear their ugly helmets, well, good for them--just means i get to stand out a little more while i look traditional in my hampton ! irony!

RugBug
May. 1, 2010, 02:14 AM
The funny thing is people were saying how ugly the GPA was when it was "the" helmet.

I love fashion, but I don't cater to it. I buy what I like and only replace when I want to (or when the need calls for it like after I've fallen on my head).

pintopiaffe
May. 1, 2010, 04:13 AM
What ever's really out is going to be the next big thing. Be ahead of the trend!!!

Oh, phew... I'm just a fat old dressage pretender who is dabbling in breed show hunters this year... but, I will be AHEAD of the curve.

The only thing I am sad about, is I cannot wear my rust breeks with my hunter green jacket. Damn Arab show rules say breeches must be lighter than the jacket. :sigh: :no:

I am *sure* I'm in all last year's... or perhaps 2007's clothes, as they were all found on closeout/outlet etc. ;)

But we'll still look fabulous. :winkgrin:

pony4me
May. 1, 2010, 09:30 AM
For me, what's "in" is whatever is in my closet. Boring, but very budget-friendly. And today with the weather being what it is (heavy thundersotrms and a tornado watch) I'll be lucky if I get to show. Luckily, the over 50 Adult Ammys seem to be the least fashion conscious group at any show. We just hope and pray that whatever fit us last year still fits us this year.

howardh
May. 1, 2010, 09:34 AM
Brick colored! HA. That is a kind word for RUST. I am sure they will come back someday!

pintopiaffe
May. 1, 2010, 01:51 PM
They'd better. I love my Harry Halls. CLASSIC!! I tell ya, CLASSIC!

ddashaq
May. 1, 2010, 05:23 PM
I am an eventer dabbling in local (schooling) hunter shows this summer so this thread is very timely. I have the tan breeches, black jacket and CO helmet (at the insistence of my hunter friend who said I was absolutely NOT wearing a skull cap with a velvet cover into the hunter ring!:lol:), but I am wondering if people are wearing colored shirts under their black jackets? Thanks all!

monalisa
May. 1, 2010, 06:06 PM
I saw a CO helmet that I loved this week - black with a brown center (instead of the gray center or all black). LOFF it!

equidae
May. 1, 2010, 07:18 PM
I remember thinking GPA's were so ugly- now I love them. Just not the speed air, for hunters or EQ anyways. Personal pref. I still think they look like insect-heads or fly eye-balls.

equidae
May. 1, 2010, 07:21 PM
I am *sure* I'm in all last year's... or perhaps 2007's clothes, as they were all found on closeout/outlet etc. ;)

Me too. I have a dark navy blue jacket that USED to fit. Was very form-flattering. So, it's been work work work to try and fit into it again. It's just tooo tight in the bust area, so it may end up for sale. I need to upgrade to a Sz 16R.

Guin
May. 1, 2010, 07:56 PM
You can never go wrong with a pale pink shirt and a navy coat. My favorite.

SkipChange
May. 1, 2010, 08:03 PM
I am an eventer dabbling in local (schooling) hunter shows this summer so this thread is very timely. I have the tan breeches, black jacket and CO helmet (at the insistence of my hunter friend who said I was absolutely NOT wearing a skull cap with a velvet cover into the hunter ring!:lol:), but I am wondering if people are wearing colored shirts under their black jackets? Thanks all!

I'm a believer in Black coat= white shirt. But I'm no hunter princess, so some people may add color.

Hunter Mom
May. 1, 2010, 10:34 PM
For me, what's "in" is whatever is in my closet. Boring, but very budget-friendly. And today with the weather being what it is (heavy thundersotrms and a tornado watch) I'll be lucky if I get to show. Luckily, the over 50 Adult Ammys seem to be the least fashion conscious group at any show. We just hope and pray that whatever fit us last year still fits us this year.

How true is this! I am thrilled when my clothes still fit each year. My daughter should be the only one outgrowing her clothes. :)

ddashaq
May. 1, 2010, 11:50 PM
I'm a believer in Black coat= white shirt. But I'm no hunter princess, so some people may add color.

I am, too, but I did not want to stick out like a sore thumb if it was not the done thing. I suppose at the local level it really does not matter!:)

SelleFrancais09
May. 2, 2010, 03:00 AM
Pikeur front zip euro seats (love them- SO comfy and trendy)
quality black or brown leather belts like the Animo brown leather one I bought at WEF this year
stretchy material jackets (made by Animo or Grand Prix) with piping or colors on the lapels, even in the big hunters, they are conservative but flashy at the same time. I prefer the darker colors like black, charcoal, navy...

I have always been a fan of classy white shirts (Hadfields makes some gorgeous custom shirts- i picked up several at WEF this year)

AllyandPete
May. 2, 2010, 10:55 AM
I will continue to wear my CO and black belt with little turquoise rhinestones with pride thankyouverymuch! :winkgrin:

Tiffany01
May. 2, 2010, 11:01 AM
I have: Kaki and Tan Breeches,Light Blue Ratcatcher,Navy Blue Coat and my CO helmet/

Fun Size
May. 2, 2010, 01:35 PM
Well, I ordered the new helmet! The CO AYR8, all black. Also, since somehow I still had some store credit on my SmartPak account, I ordered this belt: http://www.SmartPakEquine.com/productclass.aspx?productclassid=4666&

As for my adventures in hunt coat shopping, this weekend at the VSS sale I bought a really pretty navy grand prix coat with light blue piping at the collar.

Hopefully this one has a bit more give and will last me longer than the RJ coat!

HowDoILook
May. 2, 2010, 06:46 PM
/productclass.aspx?productclassid=4666&"]http://www.SmartPakEquine.com/productclass.aspx?productclassid=4666&[/URL]

I have that belt. I LOVE it! Its mostly my "cowgirl" belt, but i love to show in it too.

crazyhorses
May. 2, 2010, 08:36 PM
Ditto loving that belt!! I really need one like that. I had a show today and my stupid belt broke right as I got my horse out of the trailer, so sad

gardenofsimple22
May. 2, 2010, 08:50 PM
What happened to nice jacket, show shirt that matches or is white, helmet and breeches with tall boots.

rugbygirl
May. 3, 2010, 12:31 PM
Does anyone wear breeches with piping for Hunters? I have light grey breeches with black piping on the outside seam. I wear them to open shows with a black coat...not sure if I can get away with that at my one rated.

With the contrasting piping on jackets being popular...thoughts?

Hunter Mom
May. 3, 2010, 01:24 PM
rugbygirl - I don't think I've seen anyone in gray breeches in hunters. Piping on tan, ok.

NorthFaceFarm
May. 3, 2010, 01:40 PM
Have never seen piping on breeches at a rated OR local show.

Lets pick something ridiculous and try to "bring it back" or make it the new it thing. See how far the power of COTH reaches....It doesn't have to be something that will get us in trouble in the ring, just something funny. Like leopard print sports bras under white show shirts. :eeps:

Quinn
May. 3, 2010, 01:46 PM
[QUOTE=piftisha;4841401]Well, I ordered the new helmet! The CO AYR8, all black. Also, since somehow I still had some store credit on my SmartPak account, I ordered this belt: http://www.SmartPakEquine.com/productclass.aspx?productclassid=4666&

I have that belt as well and really love it.

http://community.webshots.com/user/ballyduff

InWhyCee Redux
May. 3, 2010, 03:03 PM

Amen. If I've learned anything working in the fashion industry, it's that if something is not IN now, it will be in six to 18 months time.

So, bring out your mid-'90s Helmut Lang, '80s-style fun fur, and 2007 brocades for Fall. Rust breeches and ribbon belts — it's only a matter of time! ;)

InWhyCee Redux
May. 3, 2010, 03:06 PM
rugbygirl - I don't think I've seen anyone in gray breeches in hunters. Piping on tan, ok.

I must be reaaaaaaaally old, because when I was a teen you just HAAAAAAAD to have them.

RugBug
May. 3, 2010, 04:27 PM
I must be reaaaaaaaally old, because when I was a teen you just HAAAAAAAD to have them.

Loved my gray breeches (no piping on them, though).

Trixie
May. 3, 2010, 05:12 PM
I think gray can be done if anything else is immaculate, but I'd skip the piping, and ONLY if it's a nice gray. Then again, I'm the one who happily shows in rust and that TS mocha-ish color and sometimes brown field boots, so, you probably shouldn't listen to me.

Void
May. 3, 2010, 05:19 PM
We should bring gray back. I love gray breeches.

ExJumper
May. 3, 2010, 05:32 PM
What happened to nice jacket, show shirt that matches or is white, helmet and breeches with tall boots.

Well, actually that's exactly what people are talking about here. Matching a show shirt to a jacket, and what color breeches people are wearing.

rugbygirl
May. 3, 2010, 06:24 PM
We should bring gray back. I love gray breeches.

People always say nice things when I wear mine. On the Open circuit (in my area, you need to read "AQHA Prep Circuit" out of that) people seem jarred to see something besides tan.

Mine are also contrast full seat, mind you, so they are probably too loud for Hunters anyway. I DO really like dove grey breeches though. Grey looks nice with a dark horse.

Bring back contrasting full seats, while we're at it...the right pair of those things can do fabulous things for the less than model-esque lower body.

RugBug
May. 3, 2010, 06:43 PM
Bring back contrasting full seats, while we're at it...the right pair of those things can do fabulous things for the less than model-esque lower body.

Well, I'm not sure they were ever "in" so there's nothing to bring back. :winkgrin: Us H/J-ers have never been the full seat crowd.

I did see a pair of contrast full seats with piping (tan with black). I thought they looked pretty cool (and flattering), but I would never show in them. :D

rugbygirl
May. 3, 2010, 07:00 PM
I thought for a while people were wearing white breeches with black full seats for Jumper Classics and things. Maybe not. I'm definitely not one to ask. You saw them in all the catalogs for a while. Now, not so much.

Like I said, they might be too "loud" for Hunters with all the contrast. Fun for little shows though. And with what I've seen in the Jumpers lately...contrasting fullseats would be conservative...not sure I could pull off a turquoise satin blouse at a summer show, myself.

diKecnadnuS
May. 3, 2010, 08:14 PM
These bracelets are getting pretty big on the show scene (I've heard especially up north, but they're trickling down south) - you even see them sometimes worn two at a time, usually with the knot alongside the ribbon bracelet.

https://kieljamespatrick.com/

SarahandSam
May. 3, 2010, 08:36 PM
These bracelets are getting pretty big on the show scene (I've heard especially up north, but they're trickling down south) - you even see them sometimes worn two at a time, usually with the knot alongside the ribbon bracelet.

https://kieljamespatrick.com/

I don't generally do "preppy" but the ribbon ones are actually adorable! I like their vintage-y look. I'm kind of tempted to get one just for everyday wear...

SkipChange
May. 3, 2010, 08:57 PM
Ditto. Those bracelets look pretty cute. They should do belts!

TheBrownHorse
May. 3, 2010, 09:20 PM
I show jumpers in gray, not sure i'd be willing to venture into the hunter ring like that.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=735205&l=0cbc3cd02d&id=595222765

However, this is from "last" year so...oh well, but I'm brining them to my show this weekend :)

I'm glad to hear brown belts are "in", I showed in my brown belt at Pebble a couple years back, and loved the look of it, and I can't find my black show belt so this weekend it'll be brown!

I have three CO's-- brown/brown, black/black, black/grey. All of them coming to the show with me, we will see, maybe the brown/brown with my pink shirt will look nice :)

I also have a pair of front zip breeches, but I LOVE my TS side zips so I'll probably end up in those most of the weekend. Always a good plan to bring extras of everything though.

Anyone wearing coats in the jumpers? A lot of times it's just show shirts/ polos at the "A" shows around here, but I'm dying to wear my coat-- have both a navy and grey with pinstripes. I might just wear them because I "feel" like it, haha. It's been a while since I showed last (had to take a year off for health reasons) and people *were* wearing coats it just wasn't super popular.

NorthFaceFarm
May. 3, 2010, 10:11 PM
I still wear a coat for saturday and sunday classes, regardless of level. Mostly because it makes me look skinnier in the pictures :)

SkipChange
May. 3, 2010, 10:46 PM
Everyone at my barn wears jackets for jumpers if weather appropriate. I saw a number of people dressing down the jacket look during the week by not wearing a collar and showing with the first few buttons undone.

crazyhorses
May. 4, 2010, 02:54 AM
OoO I want gray breeches!! Gray is one of my favorite colours.

eta: In the "A" jumpers I always wear a jacket. But at the smaller shows I just wear my hunter shirt.

Pirateer
May. 4, 2010, 03:39 AM
Do these people realize what full seats/euro seats do to the "back view"?

Seriously. Tack stores should have 360 mirrors. Full seats would be SO out.

(And I really, really want a black speed air.)

Trixie
May. 4, 2010, 10:20 AM
Not a fan of the full seat breeches in the hunters, they imply that you need help sticking to your horse.

That being said, I rarely find them flattering either.

ExJumper
May. 4, 2010, 10:29 AM
I was actually surprised by the way a "full bottom" looks in euroseat breeches. (Not full seats, but with the same seaming.)

I think they are flattering!

rugbygirl
May. 4, 2010, 11:15 AM
^ you definitely need the right pair of full seats, and the right physique. They can flatter a curvier shape, but pretty much look ridiculous on the thinner, no hip/butt crowd. We had a big discussion about this phenomena at my old barn. I have one pair that looks really good from behind and one pair that DOES NOT.

That's funny that they imply you need help sticking, when you see all these threads on saddle glue and "which conditioner will make my saddle grippy" :lol:

Trixie
May. 4, 2010, 11:33 AM
That's funny that they imply you need help sticking, when you see all these threads on saddle glue and "which conditioner will make my saddle grippy"

While I think saddle tite and whatnot are gross and I don't use them (because I don't want to clean them off later, really), as usual in the hunter ring, it's about impressions. If you LOOK like you need extra stick (i.e., by covering your butt with a large portion of leather or clarino) it makes people wonder why you need extra stick, plus it stands out. Saddle tite does not have that effect.

Everythingbutwings
May. 4, 2010, 11:38 AM
Full seat breeches when your rearend is not planted firmly in the saddle makes one look like a sex target for the directionally impaired.

JMO

jumpingmaya
May. 4, 2010, 11:41 AM
Full seat breeches when your rearend is not planted firmly in the saddle makes one look like a sex target for the directionally impaired.

JMO

BAHAHHAHA............... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Zu Zu
May. 4, 2010, 11:43 AM

JMO
:lol::lol::lol:

HuntJumpSC
May. 4, 2010, 12:18 PM
Since I don't have alot of extra cash laying around to splurge on new trends, I'll just have to stick with what I've got. Heck I don't even have a classic pair of khaki TS's at the moment, and that's a first! I had to totally sell and revamp my wardrobe after having a child and then a boob reduction~ it's been lots of fun scouring Ebay for deals.

I'll be showing in a charcoal RJ coat, with either rust TS or *gasp!* grey Ariat breeches. I have a choice of three shirts: Pale Horse yellow plaid, RJ lilac plaid, and Van Teal french blue. I still have my blinged out GPA, and my conservative velvet approved Lexington helmet. My Der's are currently too big in the calf, thinking about trying to take them in. And I picked up a new pair of Colt Cromwells on Ebay for $26 that fit like a glove to hold me until I can get better ones.

When you're on a budget, trends aren't quite as important as clean, tidy and conservative. But that's not saying that I wouldn't give my right arm for one of those gorgeous Hermes "H" buckle reversible belts! ;)

NorthFaceFarm
May. 4, 2010, 12:23 PM
Looking like you need extra stick in the hunter's could be good - maybe your horse jumps SO well you can't stay with him!

Everythingbutwings
May. 4, 2010, 12:31 PM
I'd rather have the judge looking at my horse's bum than mine. :D

sisu27
May. 4, 2010, 01:02 PM

Cripes, me too. I still have my last pair of Harry Halls in a light grey which were worn with a navy jacket and white shirt. That was "the uniform" in my hunter days.

dogchushu
May. 4, 2010, 07:55 PM
Do these people realize what full seats/euro seats do to the "back view"?

Seriously. Tack stores should have 360 mirrors. Full seats would be SO out.

You know, I thought the same thing. Then I was persuaded to try on a pair of euro seats at a local tack store. I resisted at first and only gave in to prove to the woman helping me just how bad it would look.

Was I ever surprised. It really made my butt look better. Perhaps it's the seams/stitching breaking up an otherwise uninterrupted view of a wide load! :lol: Whatever it was, they really did look better on me than regular breeches.

An added benefit of them: I don't get that saggy breeches butt at the end of the day! I refuse to buy my breeches in a skin tight size (really, there are some things children and other innocents shouldn't be subjected to--like the sight of tight pants on my bottom). That meant I'd always end up with "junk sagging in the trunk" after a long day. The euro seats look the same at the end of the day as when I put them on.

Love them.

Fun Size
May. 4, 2010, 09:40 PM
I have a butt....and it looks much better in the euro seat! Love them. Unfortunately, my trainer....well, not so much! I sneak them in every once in awhile but I think I am going to have to invest in a regular pair :cry:

supershorty628
May. 4, 2010, 09:54 PM
Everyone at my barn wears jackets for jumpers if weather appropriate. I saw a number of people dressing down the jacket look during the week by not wearing a collar and showing with the first few buttons undone.

I personally (and I know I am not alone in this) abhor when people do this. It just looks sloppy. If you're going to wear a jacket, wear it properly.

For what it's worth, I always show in a show coat with my choker on and hair neatly done. It doesn't matter if I'm in a level class or a classic, I always dress as if it's the most important class I'll do (the only difference is that I'll wear my JustWorld coat for classics whereas I just wear a navy one with a JWI pin on the lapel for other classes). I think it's more respectful to the judge and to the show. I vote for making this "in"!

rugbygirl
May. 5, 2010, 11:05 AM
I also dislike the undone collar, my coach would not allow that in the Hunter ring, EVER. If you're that hot, take off your coat. You have to button up and wear the choker for what, a minute and a half for your round?

On the topic of Euro seat (or even full seats) making the curvier ones look nicer, we decided at my barn that there is a VERY good reason contrasting full seats are so popular with the women's Dressage crowd. Much fewer of the rail-thin types seem attracted to that discipline!

NorthFaceFarm
May. 5, 2010, 11:17 AM
I unbutton my collar in the jumpers all the time. Why make it more sweaty when you don't have to? Also, if I'm not going back to the hunter ring later, I lose the coat and roll up my sleeves. I bet you hate that too.

SkipChange
May. 5, 2010, 11:41 AM
Rubygirl--definitely NOT talking about doing it in the hunter ring. Jumpers only. My (male) coach would laugh my silly if the last minute before my round I was fixing my 'outfit' by buttoning my collar and looking for a choker. :lol: He doesn't mind a quick jacket change, other than that you better be on and ready to go with him.

Supershorty- sorry you hate it! I usually do my collar up properly--have to look good in pictures!--but have definitely shown with it undone and a coat on. I kinda think it looks cute, though not appropriate for classics.

Big_Grey_hunter
May. 5, 2010, 11:58 AM
So a navy blue/black coat with a white shirt is good for hunters? I think it would look great on my horse, but my mom thinks that its just for EQ riders

sansibar
May. 5, 2010, 12:04 PM
So a navy blue/black coat with a white shirt is good for hunters? I think it would look great on my horse, but my mom thinks that its just for EQ riders

That what most people are wearing in the hunter ring. So you will be fine :)

NorthFaceFarm
May. 5, 2010, 12:04 PM
White is always classic. I gave up on colors when I was a kid - was too complicated switching for hunters/eq/jumpers.

Hunter Mom
May. 5, 2010, 02:17 PM
Agreed - you can never go wrong with navy coat, tan breeches & a white shirt. It will always be classic.

GoodAsGold
May. 6, 2010, 12:26 PM
So what's in for saddle pads this year? Are half pads still in? Or have the full pads made a come back?

LeeB10
May. 6, 2010, 12:48 PM
Here in Ontario most people are sporting the Marigold show shirts with the "V"s embroidered on the collar and cuff.

I just recently bought my daughter the Marigold shirt with the two tone grey V's. LOVE that shirt and it looks great with the black jacket with velvet collar and white piping - like this one http://www.selleriedelodet.com/jacket-stripe-komutekir-black-p-308.html?osCsid=5i6bgcdhpauf0v50iduu6lilj2.

supaflyskye
May. 6, 2010, 01:09 PM
I am waiting w/ baited breath for the moment when green coats are back in.
I have a beautiful green coat w/ mint and pink pinstriping that my trainer won't let me wear. She's been having me wear my black coat w/ carbon plaid this season. I much prefer the green. :cry:
Also - I want a purple coat! Why have I never seen such a thing? That needs to be a trend.

caradino
May. 6, 2010, 01:34 PM
Also - I want a purple coat! Why have I never seen such a thing? That needs to be a trend.

i have one :)

it's a very dark eggplant pinstripe. it fits perfectly and the color is dark and conservative enough... in fact my fashion-conscious IHSA coach picked it out for me, so i trust that the fashion police aren't whispering behind my back when i wear it. :winkgrin:

i LOVE it, but when it finally dies, i REALLY want a black windowpane coat. they look sooooo sharp!

Rollie Pollie
May. 6, 2010, 03:54 PM
I am waiting w/ baited breath for the moment when green coats are back in.
I have a beautiful green coat w/ mint and pink pinstriping that my trainer won't let me wear. She's been having me wear my black coat w/ carbon plaid this season. I much prefer the green. :cry:

I'm saving up for the new RJ in dark green plaid. It's a little more current looking than just hunter pinstripe but it's suuuch a beautiful coat. I love green, especially with my chestnut.

ponymom64
May. 6, 2010, 05:26 PM
My daughter showed last weekend in a taupe coat with rust plaid, white shirt and rust breeches - looked VERY sharp on her chestnut horse.....

maudie
May. 6, 2010, 05:38 PM
I'm riding IEA this year, and probably doing some Eventing. I'll probably be wearing my tan breeches, blue coat, and white shirt for that. But in the open hunter shows I'll be wearing my khaki breeches, blue/purple/gray coat, and blue/purple shirt. It sounds ugly, but in person it workswell

BAC
May. 6, 2010, 05:42 PM
My daughter showed last weekend in a taupe coat with rust plaid, white shirt and rust breeches - looked VERY sharp on her chestnut horse.....

I'll bet she was stunning, I love rust breeches and the taupe coat sounds perfect, especially on a chestnut. I also love pale blue shirts with rust.

ponymom64
May. 6, 2010, 05:54 PM
I'll bet she was stunning, I love rust breeches and the taupe coat sounds perfect, especially on a chestnut. I also love pale blue shirts with rust.

You're so sweet! It was very old school but it rocked ;)

BAC
May. 6, 2010, 06:01 PM
You're so sweet! It was very old school but it rocked ;)

Well I'm old school too (or maybe just plain old) and its nice to see people who are not afraid to wear something different from the rest of the crowd. IMO those are the true trend setters. All she needs now is a pair of brown field boots. :yes:

caradino
May. 7, 2010, 10:20 AM
Well I'm old school too (or maybe just plain old) and its nice to see people who are not afraid to wear something different from the rest of the crowd. IMO those are the true trend setters. All she needs now is a pair of brown field boots. :yes:

i have to agree! if you've got a good eye for color, style, and fit, why not wear something a little outside the box, as long as it's classy and appropriate? clothes should be fun! :)

Hunter Mom
May. 7, 2010, 11:38 AM

Where are the pictures? This sounds smashing. I WANT rust breeches!!

InWhyCee Redux
May. 7, 2010, 11:58 AM

Now WHERE did you find rust breeches, pray tell?

ponymom64
May. 7, 2010, 12:09 PM
Where are the pictures? This sounds smashing. I WANT rust breeches!!

I would love to post the picture but A) it's only the photgraphers proof (though I am planning on purchasing it) and more importantly, I'm at work and photobucket is blocked :(

Hunter Mom
May. 7, 2010, 12:13 PM
I would love to post the picture but A) it's only the photgraphers proof (though I am planning on purchasing it) and more importantly, I'm at work and photobucket is blocked :(

How about a link to the photo on the photogs website then? I must see this cuteness!

FWIW, I bought DD a lovely gray coat off eBay this winter. When it arrived, there were 3 pairs of jods in the box - including one rust pair. I really hope she wears them to show soon! On her black mare I think they'd be awesome!

BAC
May. 7, 2010, 12:26 PM
All my rust breeches are Tailored Sportsman (both the cotton schooling and the Supreme 4 ways come in rust) but Harry Hall also makes them and there is a tack shop in VA whose name escapes me at the moment (Hunt Country?) who sells rust breeches too.

Farmhouse has a huge selection of TS, I always buy my rust from them.

Oops, its Horse Country, not Hunt Country, (www.horsecountrylife.com (http://www.horsecountrylife.com)) who also has rust breeches.

ponymom64
May. 7, 2010, 12:42 PM
Ok huntermom! Trying to do this from my iPhone
we'll see how it goes LOL

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g140/ponymom64/nick2vail.jpg

Hunter Mom
May. 7, 2010, 12:51 PM
Wowza! Absolutely lovely!

ponymom64
May. 7, 2010, 01:42 PM
Wowza! Absolutely lovely!

Thanks - I thought the outfit combo looked quite smart ;)

crazyhorses
May. 7, 2010, 02:59 PM
Wow, I really, really like that outfit!

BAC
May. 7, 2010, 05:16 PM
I guess its my monitor but I can't distinguise between the colors at all. :( Its still a great picture though.

NorthFaceFarm
May. 7, 2010, 05:20 PM
All my rust breeches are Tailored Sportsman (both the cotton schooling and the Supreme 4 ways come in rust) but Harry Hall also makes them and there is a tack shop in VA whose name escapes me at the moment (Hunt Country?) who sells rust breeches too.

Farmhouse has a huge selection of TS, I always buy my rust from them.

Oops, its Horse Country, not Hunt Country, (www.horsecountrylife.com (http://www.horsecountrylife.com)) who also has rust breeches.

They also have breeches that are identical to the TS ones. I swear they have to be made by the same manufacturer. No where near the price!

BAC
May. 7, 2010, 05:26 PM
They also have breeches that are identical to the TS ones. I swear they have to be made by the same manufacturer. No where near the price!

Are you referring to Farmhouse or Horse Country? It wouldn't surprise me if TS sells a "private label" product.

NorthFaceFarm
May. 7, 2010, 05:58 PM
Sorry, Horse Country.

BAC
May. 7, 2010, 06:05 PM
Sorry, Horse Country.

I always wondered if they were TS, I will have to try them next time. Thanks for the tip, I wear a lot of rust.

Hunter Mom
May. 7, 2010, 09:38 PM
I went to the Horse Country site, but couldn't find any breeches. However, they have the yummiest pair of brown field boots. I could SO rock them!

amylmac
May. 7, 2010, 09:51 PM
I am REALLY ancient but when I was high school age , CANARY ( yes as in yellow) breeches and a black coat was THE thing.

Squirt
May. 7, 2010, 11:06 PM
I am REALLY ancient but when I was high school age , CANARY ( yes as in yellow) breeches and a black coat was THE thing.

I remember when I went to buy my first pair of breeches I asked for canary because that's what I had read about in the horse novels I was reading at the time. The tack store owner was the ultimate professional in gently letting me know that that color was really out of style. So what color did I buy? Dove grey. I still have them and somehow they still fit forty pounds later. Not in show shape but servicable.

looseringsnaffle
May. 8, 2010, 10:31 AM
Personally, I don't really care for the "naked neck" look of the jumpers, but I've always really wanted to shake things up with a sharp skinny tie or something. :D

NorthFaceFarm
May. 8, 2010, 01:37 PM
I went to the Horse Country site, but couldn't find any breeches. However, they have the yummiest pair of brown field boots. I could SO rock them!

I believe they are in the 2009 Hunt catalogue. Their seasonal catalogues are kind of random. They have TONS of stuff that I would kill for but can't show in.

Trixie
May. 8, 2010, 03:36 PM
There's a lot of stuff in the horse country catalog that I would happily show in, even if it's more "hunt" than show. I'd totally rock a good tweed jacket with my rust. I figure if everything else is immaculate, it's fine, especially if it's a schooling show.

Again, my advice is to be taken with a grain of salt. I gladly show in my rust and brown field boots: (http://pic100.picturetrail.com/VOL936/3762429/21915079/365907659.jpg)

Granted, that was jumpers, but I've the rust for hunters (http://pic100.picturetrail.com/VOL936/3762429/10699451/154189625.jpg)too.

Tiffany01
May. 8, 2010, 05:07 PM
I wore Rust in 1999.....and I think I was the only one lol :) I still placed well.

Fun Size
May. 9, 2010, 01:16 AM
Well, I showed today in my new CO AYR8 :D I wish I had pics for everyone!

I feel like it made a difference with the vents. I didn't really notice it while on course or flatting, but I did notice that I was cooling down faster afterwards.

Also, I noticed that the fabric in my new Grand Prix coat is much more light and breathable than the fabric on my RJ. Very interesting...

gumshoe
May. 9, 2010, 11:04 AM
What's the consensus on navy blue shadbellies? I bought one for my daughter recently. It fits like it was made for her and it's very pretty. But I don't think I've ever seen a hunter shadbelly in blue... And it's definitely a *hunter* shad.

ExJumper
May. 9, 2010, 12:11 PM
I gotta admit -- I am super traditional about shads. I really think they should be black. However, if you have it and it fits I wouldn't lose any sleep over it!

You'll probably get more sh!t on this board about a junior wearing a shad than you would about a navy shad. Although it might be a toss up :)

gumshoe
May. 9, 2010, 12:25 PM
Taking cues from the Fairfax Hunt, perhaps I'm safe. Juniors are defined as being under 16. She's 17. :)

Maya01
May. 9, 2010, 12:44 PM
Am I weird saying that a classic velvet helmet, dark grey jacket, cream/white long-sleeved shirt, dark brown belt, and beige breeches are the best? Couple that with extra shiny black tall boots and an extra shiny horse? ;)

I secretly want a brown tweed jacket and a brown velvet helmet too. Shame that I have a dark grey horse.

Riding well will never go out of style... I hope.

Monarch
May. 9, 2010, 03:04 PM
I want to know when the canary colored breeches are going to be in again. That was the color of the first pair I ever had. A long time ago.......:)
M

ExJumper
May. 9, 2010, 05:19 PM
Am I weird saying that a classic velvet helmet, dark grey jacket, cream/white long-sleeved shirt, dark brown belt, and beige breeches are the best? Couple that with extra shiny black tall boots and an extra shiny horse? ;)

I secretly want a brown tweed jacket and a brown velvet helmet too. Shame that I have a dark grey horse.

Riding well will never go out of style... I hope.

Well, if you're talking eq classes, a navy jacket is more appropriate than gray.