PDA

View Full Version : Looking for feedback about the Mystic Valley Horse Trials

redpony
Apr. 29, 2010, 08:54 AM
The closing date is coming up (May 11) and so far entries have not reached the point of where the trials make any money. This event usually fills the first few days and has a waiting list. To anyone who hasn't been there, the grounds are beautiful and it's very spectator friendly in that you can see the xc course from one location. I know the economy is in the tubes but it was probably worse last year and it was filled. Any ideas as to why this is happening?

Joan from Flatlands
Apr. 29, 2010, 10:39 AM
I cant speak of Mystic specifically as its been a bit since we have been there but I think overall entries are down in Area 1. While about 5 yrs ago it was fairly typical for most of the Area 1 events to be full with a waiting list - a number of which were filling on the opening day - I think now there are very few that are full before the closing date and GMHA may be the only one I know that is still filling on the opening date.

Im guessing the ecomony is the main factor - Area 1ers overall doing less events per season yet still doing the "destination" events like GMHA, Groton House, Millbrook etc

Joan from Flatlands

CANTEREOIN
Apr. 29, 2010, 10:50 AM
I entered Opening Day. It is an absolutely fabulous venue, great jumps and well run to boot. It should be an absolute must for all those folks thinking about a recognized show but worried too.

Not sure why but you have my entry and support!

WishIWereRiding
Apr. 29, 2010, 10:56 AM
I went last year. I would go this year if my horse hadn't injured himself last fall! He won't be ready to compete until the fall if we're lucky. I know there is another girl in my barn in the same exact situation. It is a great event though. It was my first event with my new horse last year, and we had a terrific time.

BestHorses
Apr. 29, 2010, 11:09 AM
I agree that it's probably a factor of the economy. I think people are picking a few events to go to each year instead of doing them all. I also think people are waiting to enter events until the closing date since they know they will have no problem getting in.

I am not entered at Mystic because my horse is not ready for BN. I did go to the schooling CT this month and will probably do the one in July as well so they're getting my money there at least. :)

I like Mystic as a venue. The people are very nice. The dressage rings are very nice. I have heard some people don't like the show jumping in the grassy hollow since the terrain makes it more difficult and slippery. Perhaps holding it in the new sand ring would help? The only issue with the xc course is the water "jump." That stream is spooky, dark and the footing is pretty bad. Maybe there's a way to get the rocks out of there and add some stone dust or something? That being said it's not enough to keep me from entering. :D

I don't know if this helps at all. But I hope the entries come in because I want the event to stick around so that when I'm finally ready to move up it will still be running! :)

Rabbit351w
Apr. 29, 2010, 01:22 PM
I have heard some people don't like the show jumping in the grassy hollow since the terrain makes it more difficult and slippery.

If I'm not mistaken, I think they now run stadium in the new sand ring that is behind one of the warmups (where the startbox used to be)

WaldenPark
Apr. 29, 2010, 03:19 PM
I personally think this is one of the best places to start off the season! Cross country is EXTREMELY inviting, the dressage rings are lovely, and even though stadium last year was on grass, it was still flat and by far less daunting than King Oak's grass jumping field. It's also a very affordable event as well entry fee-wise. I entered opening day, and would encourage everyone who is considering going to sign up; it's a great way to get your horses out there for the first time this year :)