PDA

View Full Version : OTTBs by Stormy Atlantic

dutchboy
Apr. 29, 2010, 08:19 AM
Any one have experience with these? Hunters? Jumpers?

MintHillFarm
Apr. 29, 2010, 08:50 AM
I have not, but there was an article in the Blood Horse, 4/10/10 issue. They interviewed 11 trainers and asked their thoughts on the ones they had in training by this stallion...all very positive on attitudes and type. He seems to throw solid good looking horses.

While it is uncertain if the trainers' comments would cross over to the H/J world but there were no negatives at all...

dutchboy
Apr. 29, 2010, 11:14 AM
That's my feeling from what I have read as well, but no feedback as of yet from the H/J arena. I'm going to try one this weekend -looking for a 3' hunter type to bring along as a lease.

MintHillFarm
Apr. 29, 2010, 11:18 AM
I hope you will post how it went and a pic too! Good luck:)

actcasual
Apr. 29, 2010, 11:46 AM
Please post pics -- and good luck! I've only been around two that I know were Stormy Atlantic. One unremarkable, but the other was really a lovely animal in looks, disposition, intelligence and athleticism. Tall, dark bay filly with lots of white. I'd love to see her in the show ring someday!

dutchboy
Apr. 29, 2010, 12:30 PM
Thanks, and will do on the pics! Don't know how my "little prince" (8 year old DWB) is going to feel about sharing his mom and trainer!

Linny
Apr. 29, 2010, 12:37 PM
They do tend to be flashy, lots of white etc. The one thing I have noticed is that several I've seen seem to have a naturally high head carriage. They don't appear inverted, just somewhat high headed.

JRG
Apr. 29, 2010, 12:40 PM
My mom has a Stormy Atlantic, (still racing) and the mare is smart as they come and built like a brick$H*) house. Very athletic.

DMK
Apr. 29, 2010, 02:26 PM
well, his son (bred by the same farm), Indian Ocean was the sire of last year's Devon and Sallie B. Wheeler BYH, so the line can throw some hunter type, for sure (in a sample size of ... one). Also, I recall an article quoting the owner as to how easy going the colt was (and she was a current TB breeder and a former hunter rider so she saw bost sides of the story and still decided to take this one out of the sales program and point it toward HB. Even in a down market, that's still remarkable.

Normally Storm Cats need to go the extra mile to prove to me that have a good hunter 'tude, but this is a line I would pay some attention to for a hunter propsect.

cottagefarm
Apr. 29, 2010, 02:57 PM
Heres a little bit about Holden , Mary-Jane hunts 2 yr old by Indian Ocean

http://www.chronofhorse.com/node/2327

I have seen a bunch of IO and Stormy Atlantic's . All have seemed very personable and trainable.

Lets us know how it goes :)

dutchboy
Apr. 29, 2010, 07:41 PM
Okay, now I'm getting excited and I promised myself I wouldn't!! Thanks for all the info on the line - I also checked out threads elsewhere and feel like I have a good idea of what to look for...
Will check back in after trying him on Saturday and let you know what happens. If you google Stormy Atlantic (his sire), he looks just like his dad with more chrome.

horsecents
Apr. 30, 2010, 07:53 AM
NMK on the board has a Stormy Atlantic gelding. We first saw him as a 2 year old at Thistledown. She was able to purchase him as a 4 year old. Here's a link to pictures of him at a horse trials last year. http://brantgamma.exposuremanager.com/g/koch_nancy_sf6.

Handsome!!

Going Bananas
May. 2, 2010, 09:51 PM
Get him off of hot feed. DO NOT FEED ULTIUM! It'll turn him into a monster. use quiessence from smart-pak. when it comes to hunters and jumpers the bloodline of an ex-racehorse is the most insignificant thing to worry about. the jockey club papers aren't worth the paper they're printed on. Good Luck:D