PDA

View Full Version : Showing halter

arena run
Apr. 29, 2010, 09:14 AM
What is the proper way to show an english horse at halter?

Must you wear your helmet? (I'm thinking 'no', but a judge required a kid to go back to her truck and GET HER HELMET to show her large pony in the halter class. ????)

Exhibitor should be in complete english attire, boots and chaps or tall boots, breeches, shirt and jacket, yes?

Horse should be shown in snaffle bridle. ??

flyracing
Apr. 29, 2010, 09:23 AM
Depends on what you are doing. Are you at a breed show, usef show? Are you showing in "halter" (in which case you wear western attire unless told otherwise) or are you showing in "hand" (in which case you showing a a horse 2 years or older in a bridle). Are you talking about the conformation section of hunters (where you will look like you came right out of the ring because you have, but the horse's saddle and pad is taken off). Are you showing hunter breeding? That again will have a different set of norms. If you provide more information, you will likely get plenty of helpful responses. And yes, usually all english in hand classes require wearing a helmet if riding dress is required.

arena run
Apr. 29, 2010, 10:00 AM
Well..... this is a 4H show. Rules state ----

"Exhibitors' attire must conform to the requirements of their respective divisions (refer to Western, Hunter, or Saddle/Gaited divisions). Example: If exhibitor is in Western attire, then hats and boots are required. Hats would be optional in Saddle/Gaited, Arabian, and non-stock-type Other Breeds."

This, of course, doesn't really answer my questions about what the horse is to be shown in -- and to be honest, I've never seen anyone show their horse "english".... everyone usually has the western hat, jeans, boots, and western "show halter". The reason I'm asking is because this rule does seem to allow a halter horse to be shown according to the riders' attire - and this child is going to be showing the horse english. At present she doesn't have the proper Western show attire and she doesn't have the proper halter.

Of course, it wouldn't be the end of the world to go get these items, or to make do w/a nylon halter, but it would certainly save a good bit of acquisition'ing if she could simply show in her english clothes and I wasn't exactly sure of how one shows a halter horse at an all-english show.

To answer as many of your questions as possible, in the order they were asked...
No breed show
No usef show
The calss is called "halter" but the rules do seem to allow different styles of dress
Pony is a 13yo being showing in the "broodmare" class
No, not after a riding class
No hunter breeding

Thanks for your help, flyracing. :) sylvia

JetsGlitterNGold
Apr. 29, 2010, 10:14 AM
We didn't have halter when I showed 4-H, but we did have showmanship, which at a normal breed show is shown exclusively western. For the hunt division though you would wear tall boots, breeches, shirt, coat, and hat, whether it be a hunt cap or a helmet. Of course, the hunt caps were not allowed when you were mounted. You would show with their bridle on, although it was not necessary to use a snaffle as I always showed in a kimberwicke bit. Don't show with a pelham though because with two sets of reins, it tends to be overwhelming and placing the snaffle rein around the horse's neck can result in disqualification.

Ask your 4-H leader about the rules, they should know. If this is just a schooling show sponsored by a 4-H club, then either call the contact person or don't worry about it. I would doubt you would get disqualified if you showed up looking presentable in your hunt dress and a clean bridle.

theinstigator
Apr. 29, 2010, 10:24 AM
"Exhibitors' attire must conform to the requirements of their respective divisions (refer to Western, Hunter, or Saddle/Gaited divisions).

There you go. Helmets are part of the required "attire" for Hunter classes, so yes she needs to wear her helmet.

netg
Apr. 29, 2010, 10:33 AM
I've never heard of a halter class in 4-H, because it's supposed to be based upon the rider and how the rider presents the horse. Yes, a helmet will be necessary - english showmanship required one when I showed in it.

I would talk to the 4-H leader and read the rule book, because I'm guessing halter wants to see kids who know about squaring up, quarters, etc. It may want you to show more like a stock-type halter class would be instead of quarters, though, which is where you need a leader to help. Getting out there and doing a variety of types of showing is part of the fun of 4-H, so I hope everyone has fun with this!

rugbygirl
Apr. 29, 2010, 11:06 AM
You always need a proper hat if you are wearing English riding dress. In Dressage, that is either a helmet or Top Hat, in Hunter classes, that is either helmet or as the poster said above, Hunt Cap. It is considered disrespectful to present yourself in English dress without your head covered. It would be like showing up to a Western class with no hat.

Any horse 2 and older should be shown in a bridle, with a proper chain shank and lead, chain through the bit rings. Some people leave the reins on and drape them over the horse's neck, but I hate that, so I take mine off. This isn't 4H I'm talking about though, we have a very similarly worded class description at Open shows in my area.

A proper English horse is shown in a staggered stance, you can find out about that in detail, basically it shows all four feet. A breed-show English horse (like a Morgan, Arab etc.) is acceptably shown parked out at our shows. A regular pony though, I'd go with the usual stagger-foot stance.

I learned this all the hard way, I went to my first class, Clydesdale in hand, with my English habit and my hair a mess with no hat. I had her in a halter (she was 12.) Since Halter is judged on the horse, this is not STRICTLY SPEAKING a problem, but you want to fit in and impress the judge as a handler anyway. I shaped up once I observed what everyone else wore/did :)

Mini_Me
Apr. 29, 2010, 11:16 AM
Agree with the instigator.

I did show 4-H, halter and showmanship. If you choose to show in hunt seat attire, then you show in full hunt seat attire, including helmet.

Some associations also have rules requiring helmets on juniors at all times when working with a horse. You never know when a kid will get kicked, or knocked over and bump their head. Food for thought, anyways.

Mel0309
Apr. 29, 2010, 11:19 AM
I don't know about your 4H rules but here in Florida they are required to wear a helmet at all times when showing - English/Western/Halter/etc. Even when schooling or lunging.

JBCool
Apr. 29, 2010, 11:54 AM
Is she showing Hunt seat "English" or Saddle Seat "English?" In 4H she needs to wear just what she would wear if she were riding, helmet included. If she is showing hunt seat, a snaffle bridle on the pony is correct, along with coat, shirt, boots, breeches, & helmet on child.

If saddle seat, I believe they show with either a full bridle with only curb reins attached or a thin leather show halter with a thin chain lead, like Arabians. (Best bet is to check with your 4H leader on that, though, as I'm not positive.)

And don't forget gloves and a nice belt! They really help finish your turnout and make you look polished.

Seven
Apr. 29, 2010, 12:12 PM
IME the English version of these classes looks just like the conformation or modeling section of hunters.

One of the great things about 4-H is that the riders are permitted to show together. So other horses in the ring might be fitted for appropriate western turnout or saddleseat. But if you're child rides English then she should present herself that way - with a bridle, holding the reins (no shank), and fully dressed, including her helmet.

danceronice
Apr. 29, 2010, 12:27 PM
IME the English version of these classes looks just like the conformation or modeling section of hunters.

One of the great things about 4-H is that the riders are permitted to show together. So other horses in the ring might be fitted for appropriate western turnout or saddleseat. But if you're child rides English then she should present herself that way - with a bridle, holding the reins (no shank), and fully dressed, including her helmet.

Uh..not where I come from. Showmanship classes were separte by type. Hunt Seat showed in their class (further split by age), Saddle Seat in their classes (they always ended up with one class because there were never more than three or four at the entire Fair) and Western in their classes. Technically you could do both if you felt like it--show your horse in the Western class, do a clothing/tack change, and show in Hunt Seat. Showmanship judges primarily the handler, their ability to turn out the horse and themselves, and how they show the horse.

Since we did Hunt Seat, he was braided, we were in our full kit--boots, breeches, ratcatcher with collar, coat, and helmet with the chinstrap done, just like we were going to ride. We showed in a bridle (if you use a pelham, IIRC, you have to fasten up the curb rein on the neck.) Though to be honest at our fair they were not going to be fascists about that--if you wanted to show with a halter, the only thing was it had to be a leather halter with a leather chain shank properly fastened, no silver or other flashy trim (ie not a Western showmanship halter/shank.) Judges' discretion if they wanted to penalize. If I'm remembering correctly, I think the Saddle Seat riders used full bridles or, if they had an Arab, sometimes the Arab halter-class halter. And for some reason I'm thinking Saddle Seat could carry their whips as it was part of their turnout. Whatever you used, you had to use it properly for that type of equipment.

AppendixQHLover
Apr. 29, 2010, 12:35 PM
When I did saddle seat 4-h..we would remove the snaffle bit from the bridle and do showmanship in the curb. I wore full saddle seat attire. My mom hemmed one of my pairs of show pants short enough so that I could ride in them without dragging on the ground.

All the model classes that I have done as an adult have been in full hunter clothes.

Equino
Apr. 29, 2010, 12:41 PM
When I did 4-H as a kid, went to State Fair a couple of times, I showed my horse in either a leather halter, with leather lead and chain or a bridle. Always wore my helmet-it was mandatory for 4-H'ers to wear approved helmets when showing, mounted or unmounted.

Seven
Apr. 29, 2010, 12:56 PM
Uh..not where I come from.

Perhaps not for you. But where I am, they did compete together.

At the larger regionals and state fair the classes were separated by type, but at the smaller, local club shows, it was a mixed bag. Same with the pleasure classes - any riding type could enter. They were truly "open" shows.

I always found it extremely interesting to see all the disciplines prepping, working, schooling, and competing on the same fair grounds. :cool:

HenryisBlaisin'
Apr. 29, 2010, 01:20 PM
Is it a 4-H open show (open to the community), or county qualifying show (open only to 4-H members to quailify for state)? As far as I know, qualifying showa will have separate divisions for English and Western. Most of our local open shows do as well.

For an English "halter" (the correct term should be model horse/pony for English), the rider is dressed as if he/she were riding:breeches or jods, coat, helmet, hunter hair (or braids if a small child still in jods and paddock boots), tall boots or paddock boots and garters, gloves.

The horse is shown in a bridle, and should be braided and feet oiled. The horse will need to stand square in front with one hind slightly forward (though a Western judge may not know that this is how hunters stand up and want you foursquare). The judge will ask the horse to be jogged, so make sure you practice this at home.

Basically, for both model horse and showmanship, you should prepare and present yourself as painstakingly as you would for any mounted class-and then give everything one more polish.

nlk
Apr. 29, 2010, 02:09 PM
Full attire so...Breeches boots jacket shirt w/collar pin or embroidery (yes you should have either or not nothing 4-h USE to specify that and you could get disqualified....) and helmet/cap.

As far as showing in hand it would be either bridle with a double bridles second rein over the withers and a regular bridles reins in hand or a plain leather halter...

arena run
Apr. 29, 2010, 03:52 PM
HenryisBlasin, Rubygirl, and JBCool... thanks so much for the great info. That's exactly what I was looking for! :D

As for asking "the leaders". :) Our county agent would have no idea. The "BIG" folks in charge might know, than again they might not. I wanted to have a better idea of what was what from folks who actually show the english "model" classes (didn't know there was a different name either). When i call the leaders in charge of putting the show together I'd really only want to be asking, "Can she show the halter class as though it were a "model" class since that's how she's riding the horse or does she need to conform western."

And actually, all this may be null and void. Since I posted this inquiry Mom has told me they are thinking of showing a different horse in some western events and this is the horse that would end up in the halter classes if they did so -- sooooo... my question was a bit premature, but it sure resulted in some new very nifty info for me. :) sylvia