gold2012
Apr. 29, 2010, 12:39 AM
Deleted.

Shrunk "N" Da Wash
Apr. 29, 2010, 12:44 AM
There's a great attitude towards life and riding... :yes:

Blugal
Apr. 29, 2010, 01:36 AM
Can't comment on much, but will say that horses with sore hocks will often have a sore back as the only indicator. It may be that the back is sore due to saddle fit or hocks or both.

As far as fitting in... well you moved to a different area of the country to be more part of the scene. It sounds like you are already fitting in - having a get-together in a casual setting, having the little ones around. It takes time to build relationships and to really feel like you "belong" in a new group. One step at a time.

KateWooten
Apr. 29, 2010, 08:37 AM
You'll fit in, don't worry, keep at it.

- Read 'Stranger in a Strange land'
- meet lots of people who smile and don't give a toss,
- visit Nashville frequently,
- rehome a free rescue pony every couple of months, or whenever you need a boost.

these are my tips for staying happy when you feel too foreign. And hang with me for 24 hours. After the 130th time of someone saying 'ooh, your accent is so cute, yall aint from round here are you?' ... I guarantee you'll feel a whole lot more 'fit in' than I ever will !

subk
Apr. 29, 2010, 09:14 AM
Can't comment on much, but will say that horses with sore hocks will often have a sore back as the only indicator. It may be that the back is sore due to saddle fit or hocks or both.
This.

A Rood and Riddle vet told me he almost never sees sport horses with back pain that is the primary issue. (Actually he said "never" then figured he should probably give himself some wiggle room.) He see's "back problems" and immediately starts checking for soundness.

Start with getting the pony humming, then work Kate's list.

JER
Apr. 29, 2010, 10:48 AM
- visit Nashville frequently,

Could you explain?

KateWooten
Apr. 29, 2010, 10:59 AM
Could you explain?

eponacowgirl lives there. and subk. and cookiePony. And mccorbett. Can't really beat that for making you feel 'in' rather than 'out'.

AzuWish
Apr. 29, 2010, 11:20 AM
:(

I'm guessing this is about moving to a new area? I did that two years. My new place is very non-horsey (no tack shops within an hour!)

It was horrible and it fed into an online horse forum addiction because my husband is also non-horsey. So I had no one to tell when I had a great ride and no one to ask who was a good professional when a farrier messed up my horse's hooves.

Oh and I get "you're not from around here all the time." I was born and raised on the South Carolina-Georgia border. Just because I have a nonregionalized dialect doesn't mean I'm not from "around here." I'm more southern than anyone in NC *pout*

It's so easy to feel like an outsider in new areas. I feel for you!

fooler
Apr. 29, 2010, 11:58 AM
Always tough being the new kid in town. Especially when you are from another part of the country. I am from the South (my family moved about in the South abit) and have lived in CA, CT and NH. Got the 'You are obviously not part of the community' look and attitude just by speaking once. That said - some folks were never going to accept me, just because I was a "dumb Southerner" - however others embraced me and taught me much about their themselves and their community. These are the memories I remember best!

The best way to be the new kid is to discover all that you can about the new community and try not to compare it to the 'great old community'. Learn to love what is good, ignore the bad unless it really needs to be changed. If change is needed work with the community as much as possible.

Wishing you were back 'home' only keeps you from enjoying the new community. And often 'home' dosen't look so wonderful when you return for a visit. Something I learned the hard way when our family visited our old home town when I was 15. :eek:

gold2012
Apr. 29, 2010, 12:20 PM
Ya'll are so sweet!

subk
Apr. 29, 2010, 07:01 PM
eponacowgirl lives there. and subk. and cookiePony. And mccorbett. Can't really beat that for making you feel 'in' rather than 'out'.
Ya know, JER you have and open invite to lunch/barn tour/drinks etc. anytime you're in town and want to venture beyond East Nashville... just sayin...

JER
Apr. 29, 2010, 07:04 PM
Ya know, JER you have and open invite to lunch/barn tour/drinks etc. anytime you're in town and want to venture beyond East Nashville... just sayin...

Careful, my friend. I'm going to be there in a matter of weeks.

You may be seeing me...

:D