PDA

View Full Version : Stirrup Irons & Feet Problems...

eventr4life
Apr. 28, 2010, 10:39 PM
I have a problem with the bottom of my feet after XC. I would come off course in EXTREME pain!!! :confused::o

So, my trainer told me i needed to practice stretching the tendons and ligaments in the bottom of my feet but it just hurts!!

So someone suggested getting Sprenger stirrups...

Does anyone have any suggestions on what stirrups might help, or what you think is wrong with my feet?

eventer_mi
Apr. 29, 2010, 07:53 AM
I didn't get pain in my feet, but I did get extremely numb feet, and pain shooting up my lower leg and hip (left) when I rode. I tried the MDC Intelligent irons (the ones that are hinged and also have the eye you can adjust), which seemed to help a little. Then, I tried the Royal Riders with the offset eye, but with a much wider tread, and that helped a lot, but what did it for me was that after telling my trainer about my issue, she said that I was probably putting far too much weight into my irons and not taking enough weight throughout my entire calf and thigh. It appears that I was turning out my toes and just sinking my weight straight on down to the feet, instead of keeping my weight evenly distributed from my calf on up. I concentrated in keeping my weight off my feet a little and more into my thighs (while keeping the calf off), and what do you know - no more numb feet, no more leg and hip pain.

If you know you aren't doing what I was doing, I'd suggest getting a stirrup with a wider tread, like the Royal Riders, and see if that helps distribute the pressure across your feet any. Good luck!

SkipChange
Apr. 29, 2010, 08:55 AM
I hate any sort of flexible stirrup, so can't comment on those.

What kind of stirrup pads do you have? When I rode with metal cheese graters my feet and back ached after long rides. I switched to "Super comfort stirrup pads" and they are so much better. Great grip and comftorable, definitely better than just regular rubber pads and cheese graters for me. If those aren't your style I would suggest a wider footbed on the iron as already stated.

gardenie
Apr. 29, 2010, 10:15 AM
Do you just do it after a competition xc round? Or do you do it schooling too? Do you have different experiences stadium and dressage? It may be you are doing something to cause it, such as stiffening your joints and body only in competition or stressful situations, which you should fix in your whole body, rather than looking for a "quick fix." Just a thought.

FrittSkritt
Apr. 29, 2010, 11:04 AM
she said that I was probably putting far too much weight into my irons and not taking enough weight throughout my entire calf and thigh. It appears that I was turning out my toes and just sinking my weight straight on down to the feet, instead of keeping my weight evenly distributed from my calf on up. I concentrated in keeping my weight off my feet a little and more into my thighs (while keeping the calf off), and what do you know - no more numb feet, no more leg and hip pain.

I have the same issue. I think part of the problem is that 1) I have very long legs, 2) I ride a horse who is pretty damn narrow, which leads to 3) me gripping mostly with my calves and throwing my weight into my heel.

Right now I don't have the budget for the Royal Riders or Herm Sprenger Bow Balance stirrups (I'm a safety nut so I'd want the flexible/safety ones), so I've added the wrap-around stirrup pads to my stirrups to provide more surface area to the pads. It's helped a tiny bit, but I'm really working on using more of my thigh to hold my position rather than solely my calf and heel. It's been a difficult habit to break. :winkgrin:

SparklePlenty
Apr. 29, 2010, 11:20 AM
Try adding dr.scholl's inserts to your boots.. if you provide better comfort for your shoes that may help too.

Where is the pain in your foot?? because the way its described it sounds more like your tendon's/ankles need support and not the footbed area..

LAZ
Apr. 29, 2010, 12:44 PM
I have several issues with my feet, and one of them (a neuroma) gets really painful in some situations. What works for me is to make sure the footbed of my boots is wide enough so I don't get compressive pressure when I have my stirrups, to be sure not to put the pressure of the stirrup right under that spot, and to not walk any more than I absolutely have to in riding boots.

If you have foot pain on a regular basis, off the horse, get thee to a podiatrist and have them take a look. I have orthotics & some PT exercises that really help compensate for my conformational issues. :)

Perfect Pony
Apr. 29, 2010, 12:52 PM
Royal Rider stirrups, or any of the composite stirrups with a WIDE (2" or more) footbed.

I suffered from foot, ankle and knee pain in any of the heavy metal stirrups. The Royal Riders have me riding comfortably both dressage and jumping. Well worth the investment.

eqsiu
Apr. 29, 2010, 01:27 PM
If it is tendon/ligament issues, you could try moving more of your foot into the stirrup. I don't recommend jointed stirrups because I've found they make the pain worse. Also, if you angle the iron so the most forward part is the inside it helps keep your ankle from dipping so low. You can still put your weight in your heels, but it won't push them down so far and that helps with pain as well.

eventr4life
Apr. 29, 2010, 02:23 PM
http://www.bitofbritain.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=9374&CartID=1

^^Would this help? I rode in them when i was trying a horse and they were really comfy, but i didnt stay in half seat for an extended time to see if my feet hurt - which is when they do.

I also have the problem schooling - especially when my trainer fixes my half seat. Its the bottom of my feet that hurt, and thats it.

Blugal
Apr. 29, 2010, 02:36 PM
I am conformationally knock-kneed. Putting in arch-support foot inserts helped me. Then it's just a question of having wide enough boots, and working on leg strength. To do that, I ride in 2-point at the walk without stirrups when I am out hacking - 10 strides sitting 10 in 2-point. It gets tiring after a couple minutes.

My coach once demonstrated how your 2-point should be - she made me raise my foot in the stirrup about 2 inches, then inserted her hand between the stirrup and my foot. She said, "Now get up into 2-point." I.e. use your strength in your legs not just pushing against the stirrups.

Artemis
Apr. 29, 2010, 04:15 PM
I didn't get pain in my feet, but I did get extremely numb feet, and pain shooting up my lower leg and hip (left) when I rode. I tried the MDC Intelligent irons (the ones that are hinged and also have the eye you can adjust), which seemed to help a little. Then, I tried the Royal Riders with the offset eye, but with a much wider tread, and that helped a lot, but what did it for me was that after telling my trainer about my issue, she said that I was probably putting far too much weight into my irons and not taking enough weight throughout my entire calf and thigh. It appears that I was turning out my toes and just sinking my weight straight on down to the feet, instead of keeping my weight evenly distributed from my calf on up. I concentrated in keeping my weight off my feet a little and more into my thighs (while keeping the calf off), and what do you know - no more numb feet, no more leg and hip pain.

If you know you aren't doing what I was doing, I'd suggest getting a stirrup with a wider tread, like the Royal Riders, and see if that helps distribute the pressure across your feet any. Good luck!

I've had this same issue since I started riding again after a 2 year break. I had the much cheaper version of the Herm Springers, the ones that cost about $50. My ankles would always hurt so much during riding, to the point where I constantly had to take my feet out the stirrups and stretch my ankles a bit. I thought it was because I hadn't ridden in such a long time so I just ignored it. Then I remembered I had another pair of regular fillis irons, and put those back on my saddle. My feet get slightly numb, but the ankle pain is gone which is great.
I'm glad I read this, maybe I can try to distribute my weight better instead of having it all in my feet.

retreadeventer
Apr. 29, 2010, 04:46 PM
OH boy, I started a similar thread I think a year ago about my feet going numb in the stirrups. I too suffer from the exact same thing. I do push my heels down too much but now I am thinking I need a wider tread. The widest stirrup tread is the Royal Rider? And they are the lightweight composite type stirrup?
I wonder if there is a wide tread stirrup in a metal or heavier weight.
I can't see spending that on stirrups quite yet...but if I have any more pain I just might do it rather than cut my foot off...!!! :) (It hurt last night)

Artemis
Apr. 30, 2010, 01:32 AM
Yeah I have a problem with the lightweight stirrups as well.
and they're too pricey for stirrups! I'd have to have a trial period with them before I really considered buying them. I'll have to see if any friends have them...

LARGEBORE
Apr. 30, 2010, 07:19 AM
VTO had a terriffic iron at Rolex. Bought two of them.
It had an italian sounding name Compositi.. It looked like Royal Rider but at fraction of the price. Weight was similar.
The footbed was equally as wide with very grippy tread pattern.
The footbed however was like a shock absorber and sort of moved up and down at down at the front part and gave a different feeling that the flexible side irons.. Very comfortable and secure.

rideforthelaurels16
Apr. 30, 2010, 10:13 AM
I had a similar issue last year, any time I had to jump or be in two-point. I had pinched nerves in the balls of my feet, and it was just AWFUL - I would ride without stirrups whenever possible just to relieve it.

Dramapony_misty
Apr. 30, 2010, 01:53 PM
I saw those Compositi Reflex irons at VTO and was planning on getting a pair on Saturday after the XC but by the time I got back to the store, they were gone. :( Guess I'll have to order them and pay the shipping.

frequentflyer2
Apr. 30, 2010, 02:07 PM
I too had this issue due to other sports. It was a pinched nerve. So I had a surgery to relieve pressure and have not had this issue since.
Good/Not so good result for me, I no longer have feeling in my feet but it's so worth it too me after many years of pain

retreadeventer
May. 26, 2010, 08:55 AM
Yes, yes, yes.
You CAN ride without pain! These do work. I got them from Victory Canter and tried them last night.
The lighter weight is interesting. I do get a different feel when riding. Actually it seems I can keep my leg more "on" and a bit quieter.
It was harder to find them, however, when I dropped them. But here's the good side: it's hard to lose them. The tread is sticky but not restricting.
I pushed on them a lot and tried to get the same numbness feeling and NO GO. I did not get any pain from start to finish and I was not really even paying attention to them after about the first 20 minutes -- so that means my feet were not hurting at all. I was able to dismount and not crumple from the shock of my feet getting on the ground, too.
A gigantic thumbs up for these -- mine cost about $35/pair. WELL WORTH IT and I do recommend them, however, I have only had them a couple days. I hope they hold up.

purplnurpl
May. 26, 2010, 02:06 PM
I didn't see them on the VTO site.

I too, wish they would make a stirrup like this that was NOT lightweight. I never understood the fad for lightweight XC irons. If I lose my irons I want them to hang down rather than bounce around as my horse gallops off!

http://www.123tack.com/composite-reflex-wide-track-stirrup-irons.html?productid=composite-reflex-wide-track-stirrup-irons&channelid=FROOG

medical mike
May. 26, 2010, 07:59 PM
It sounds to me like there are other factors than the stirrup. Pain like you are describing always has more than one cause.

So a bit more back history, other changes by half seat that cause you pain, how long it lasts, injury history, etc

It might be something as simple as foot strengthening exercises....

Regards,
Medical Mike
equestrian medical researcher
www.equicision.com

Equibrit
May. 26, 2010, 08:04 PM
First check that your saddle is correctly BALANCED front to back, and not throwing your weight forward and down to your feet.

eventr4life
May. 28, 2010, 09:06 PM
It sounds to me like there are other factors than the stirrup. Pain like you are describing always has more than one cause.

So a bit more back history, other changes by half seat that cause you pain, how long it lasts, injury history, etc

It might be something as simple as foot strengthening exercises....

Regards,
Medical Mike
equestrian medical researcher
www.equicision.com

I had ACL surgery November 24th, and it never happened before my surgery... but i only had it on my left knee - pain is in both feet.

Its mostly when im in my "xc 2 point" it doesn't hurt at any other time. So like after i get back from my XC round its the worst because i was in that two point for a long period of time.

Does that help to better understand? hope you can help me figure this out!!!

lstevenson
May. 29, 2010, 12:10 PM
I LOVE the Royal Flex Rider stirrups. I used to have the problem of my feet going numb on long rides, and the jointed Herm Sprengers helped a little. But the Royal Flex Riders with the wider footpad have eliminated the problem completely.

And Purplnurpl- IME the lightweight stirrups like these bounce around less than the heavy ones when you drop them. You wouldn't think so...but it sure seems to be true.

Bobthehorse
May. 29, 2010, 12:27 PM
I have hammer toes and my poor toes, especially on the right, go all tingly and are very painful on longer rides. I just switched to the flexi irons and it did help some. I also have gel insoles in my boots and the comfort stirrup treads which help as well. Stupid toes....