PDA

View Full Version : building a jump chute- what do you use for the side?

two sticks
Apr. 28, 2010, 05:52 PM
Hi guys,

I would like to work my guy through a chute again, it has been a while since we last did it. I do know how to set the chute up, and last time we used standards and poles to create the inside wall, with the arena fence as the outside wall. However, we don't have enough standards any more to make a chute I feel is long enough with the standard/pole method.

I have seen videos of people free jumping through chutes with standards and the yellow caution tape used to create the inside wall. It seems like this would be safe (ish) since the horse would likely not run through the yellow tape, and if it did, the tape would likely break with little force.

Has anyone used this before for a chute? Does it work? Is it safe? Any other ideas out there?

Thanks!

dani0303
Apr. 28, 2010, 06:00 PM
We use poles resting on top of barrels. I think you can see it in this pic
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs163.snc1/6090_1180778968393_1495740009_30508573_6709232_n.j pg

PNWjumper
Apr. 28, 2010, 06:12 PM
I also build the chute out of standards and poles. But I've seen lots of people use a lunge line in place of the caution tape you mention. Certainly more readily accessible on most horse farms!

two sticks
Apr. 29, 2010, 01:44 AM
Thanks guys. We don't have any barrels or other means to make the side out of poles, so do you think the caution tape is ok?

PNWjumper- I have seen that too but I would worry about a horse getting tangled if something were to go wrong. My horse has been through the chute before though with no problems so maybe I am just worrying excessively?

jse
Apr. 29, 2010, 08:05 AM
Definitely recommend caution tape! :) works wonder's however some of ours jumped out of it after a while! And yes it will break if they run through it, we've never had a problem!