PDA

View Full Version : Hoof Boot for Round Feet!

mustangtrailrider
Apr. 28, 2010, 03:49 PM
Which hoof boots would the great minds of Coth recommend for round hooves?

If I measured correctly, my mare's hooves are round! None seem to be ideal for her. The best I have found are the Cavallo line of boots! They look big and clunky, but I have seen them in action and really liked them.

My mare is barefoot and doesn't have any major issues. She lives in Sand and rides 90% in sand trails. Occassionally, we encounter rocks, gravel and pavement. Also, her feet seem to wear quicker than they grow.

I am looking for a tough, durable boot that will still allow her to gait, canter, gallop and jump! My farrier hates boots and say that they don't work! I believe different. I am inclined to have her shod, but hate to do so when she only needs it for rough rides.

Any ideas!

TheOtherHorse
Apr. 28, 2010, 04:22 PM
One of my mares' hooves are a bit wider than long, and the original Old Macs fit her well. I hear that the new Easy Boot Gloves are supposed to fit round hooves if you get the right size and measure carefully, though I haven't tried them. Supposedly Easy Boot is coming out with a wider boot sometime this year also.

howardh
Apr. 28, 2010, 06:26 PM
The Cavallo Simple boot is for rounds. Their new sport version is a little narrower and good for hind feet. Your farrier is wrong. I have used Cavallo simple boots for 3 years through rough terrain and mud and they work.

Perhaps he is jaded as the Easy boot is anything but easy. I know as I used them for years before the Cavallo came along!:lol::lol:

Make sure in sand you have your velcro lined up perfectly as the sand loves to work into sloppily applied boots and make the velcro release after a long while. This I know too from being sloppy. I have used Simple boots for 8 hours a day in mountain riding and could not be happier.

ChocoMare
Apr. 28, 2010, 09:56 PM
I had original Old Macs for my late app with round hooves. They fit her fab and she loffed them!

Huntertwo
Apr. 28, 2010, 10:26 PM
The Cavallo Simple boot is for rounds. Their new sport version is a little narrower and good for hind feet. Your farrier is wrong. I have used Cavallo simple boots for 3 years through rough terrain and mud and they work.

Perhaps he is jaded as the Easy boot is anything but easy. I know as I used them for years before the Cavallo came along!:lol::lol:

Make sure in sand you have your velcro lined up perfectly as the sand loves to work into sloppily applied boots and make the velcro release after a long while. This I know too from being sloppy. I have used Simple boots for 8 hours a day in mountain riding and could not be happier.

Do the Simples stay on through deep mud?
I ordered a pair today. Would rather have ordered the Sport Boot, (looks like a more secure boot), but they don't come in size 0. :(

mustangtrailrider
Apr. 28, 2010, 11:39 PM
I hope she doesn't need them, but I looked at her feet tonight. She is four weeks out of a trim, and she has no new growth. After another couple of weeks, I worry she won't have any hoof left! We are riding a lot!

After all of the good review of boots, it is the route I will go. I need to clean up her foot and remeasure as it appears her feet are different sizes!

I like the looks and ease of the Simple/Sport boot. I saw them both today, side by side, they appear to be just as secure...ie, the same! LOL.

decorum
Apr. 29, 2010, 01:39 AM
If you don't want clunky then look into Renegades, they will take 10 mm of the back free of charge so they will fit rounder feet. Easycare will come out with a Glove for wider feet eventually. I am waiting....:)

Ann Szolas

Lieselotte
Apr. 29, 2010, 02:28 AM
I am also waiting for EasyCare to make their Gloves for round hooves. I was told they'd have them out by this fall. I've used the oval ones they have now but my mare is two different sizes, width vs. length (round feet!) so they don't fit all that well although they work in a pinch. I put them on during her "barefoot phase" November through March but I am not satisfied with her gaits when she's wearing boots, plus she shuffles when she walks, like an old lady... It drives me crazy, especially on gravel where it actually gets loud!

Now we have "sneakers" on her (Equithotics) and it makes a huge difference for our terrain and her workload.
Just use whatever works best for your horse (you may have to try many different boots) but it seems you need to protect her feet somehow since she wears out quicker than she grows. Sand can be very abrasive and you say you do a lot of riding so maybe shoes are not such a bad idea after all, especially since round feet are so hard to fit as far as boots go...

Good luck!

GreyDes
Apr. 29, 2010, 06:55 AM
Renegades! http://www.renegadehoofboots.com/

The original Old Macs (NOT G2s) will also work, but they are much clunkier. My Arab has hooves that are exactly as wide as they are long, and it really limits the boot options. I used Old Macs for several years, then switched to Renegades about two years ago. They're terrific boots - really lightweight, easy to get on, stay on through all sorts of footing, and they last a lot longer than the Old Macs.

If you do get Renegades, just be prepared for people asking, "Are those crocs for horses?" :)

Here are the Renegades on my Arab and my husband's TWH: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=30142321&l=dfebdbcd00&id=1422642990

howardh
Apr. 29, 2010, 07:11 AM
I used to use Old Macs. Fits rounds well. The simple boot folks made the old Macs. Then the person who had the patent sold it to Easy Care or so I was told, so they made another boot and improved on the Old Mac.

The Simple Boot is the improved version of the Old Mac which was a good boot. The simple boot is a lot easier to get on. You slip it on after you pick feet, drop the foot and slap the velcro down. It could not be easier. This from someone who went through the hell of applying easy boots for years before other styles came out!

And YES I have ridden it through sucking deep mud many time and never lost a boot.

I have 5 horses in these boots right now. 4 need a smaller size on the back and 3 need the different shape of the Sport boot as their rears are shaped a little more narrow. I have not tried them on my Mule yet as I am waiting for her size to be delivered. The others Simple boots were far too round for her little Muley feet so I am hopeful this will work. Anyone have experience with the Sport boot style on mules yet??

The Sport boot is prettier, streamlined and reflective, but the standard simple boot is still best for round pie feet.

Bogie
Apr. 29, 2010, 07:30 AM
I foxhunted in Simple boots last fall and they stayed on fine. I thought they looked clunky but my horse didn't mind.

Trakehner
Apr. 29, 2010, 07:34 AM
Renegades do great with round feet...stay on great and are very easy to put on and take off.

mustangtrailrider
Apr. 29, 2010, 10:59 AM
I guess I will remeasure her feet after her next trim, If she ever gets one....her feet aren't growing.....LOL. I will have my farrier out again to even her up and I will remeasure her then.

He does rocker her toe a bit to ease with break over. Will this affect boot fit?

I am waffling between the Simple boot and the renegades. The Old macs look funny to me. LOL. I don't really care how they look. A local store had the Simple boots. It would be easy for me to try them on and take back if necessary.

Oh the search. I just hate to do shoes when she doesn't need them in the pasture. LOL.

BigHorseLittleHorse
Apr. 29, 2010, 12:17 PM
Get the Renegades with the cut-back option. My Arab's front feet are only a fraction longer than they are wide, so he's very nearly round. I rode a 25 two weeks ago in some fairly deep mud (it poured the night before), and they stayed on like they were glued there.

mustangtrailrider
Apr. 29, 2010, 12:21 PM
Interesting! I am pondering all possibilities! This gets harder the more you know! LOL....

baylady7
Apr. 29, 2010, 12:35 PM
I had simple boots that were okay, but sold them and upgraded to Hoofwings. They customize them for your horse

matryoshka
Apr. 29, 2010, 10:48 PM
Original Old Macs are made for round feet. I used them on my TB who had the same width as length. They are clunky, but they worked.

For competitions, though, I cobbled together two different sized Epics. I ordered an Easyboot that fit his width (size 3). Then I ordered size 2 heel straps and size 2 gaiters. I cut the back out of the boot down to the sole. I replaced the size 3 heel strap with a size 2 and added the gaiters. That means I could snug his toe up into the front of the boot so it wasn't too long. The problem was having his hind toe catch the back, but you can cut that out if needed.

Worked beautifully. It is a pain to do, but it works. I also swapped out the standard clip for the up-buckles, which I like better.

The newer styles of Easyboots do not have heel straps, so I don't know if they could be modified the same way.

Easyboot needs to stop ignoring the people with round-footed horses and make at least one boot recommended for high-mileage that accommodates a round foot!! :mad:

mustangtrailrider
Apr. 30, 2010, 08:16 AM
I really like the easy boots as well, but her feet are far too round for them. I am not sure of the simple boots as we do a LOT of hard riding. I am thinking of having her shod instead. It will be a guaranteed way of having what will fit her, for now at least.

howardh
May. 1, 2010, 08:31 AM
Simple boots are very round and I ride hard, 6-8 hours/day in mountain rocky terrain. I would always ride with the gater that they sell to protect against rubs, especially when you first put them on.

I have never tried renegades, I actually like the high heel of the simple boot. Acts like an overreach boot!

I would buy a pair that is easy to return as measurement is sometimes not perfect and this will save you shipping costs if you don't calculate correctly.

CowgirlUp84
May. 3, 2010, 05:35 PM
Of all the boots I have tried the Cavallo Simple boots were the simplest, most versatile and durable. I switched to them years ago and will never go back. I use them for jumping, trail riding and arena work and have had great success with them. They are ideal for round shaped hooves which would work well in your case. The new Sport Boot looks great! but they are narrower in profile so I would recommend the Simple Boot for your horse.