PDA

View Full Version : 3 foot hunters, how many feet in the lines?

tidy rabbit
Apr. 28, 2010, 01:50 PM
Alright, it's that time again for stupid hunter ring questions. LOL

Talk to me of the 3' ft hunter ring and how many feet between the fences I should expect to see at a local / state level show?

AHC
Apr. 28, 2010, 01:59 PM
The lines in the 3' hunters at that level are likely to be based off a 12' stride, so a five-stride line would be 72' (60' for the five strides, 6' for landing, 6' for take-off).

MHM
Apr. 28, 2010, 02:01 PM
It's usually based on a 12' stride, plus 6' for landing and take-off.

So 60' is four strides, and go up in 12' increments from there.

Lucassb
Apr. 28, 2010, 02:04 PM
At rated shows you can expect the lines to be set on a 12' stride but at local shows they are frequently shorter. And FWIW, the fences in the so-called 3' classes tend to be more like 2'6" or 2'9".

sar2008
Apr. 28, 2010, 02:07 PM
The distance between fences is usually a set number of strides (stating the obvious here), with each stride 12 feet in length plus six feet for take off and landing. For example, if you had a 72' line it would be a 5 stride.

LSM1212
Apr. 28, 2010, 02:10 PM
At rated shows you can expect the lines to be set on a 12' stride but at local shows they are frequently shorter. And FWIW, the fences in the so-called 3' classes tend to be more like 2'6" or 2'9".

Agree with this. :D

joiedevie99
Apr. 28, 2010, 02:15 PM
Typically a 12' stride if we are talking rated shows.

At unrated shows, hope for 12', but pay attention. Sometimes the course is set once for the whole day (small ponies to 3' hunters), so it will be set on something more like 11'.

You also have the "its where the jumps always go" theory of course design at local shows. These places leave their jumps set up 24/7/365, and everyone jumps those jumps in those locations whether they like it or not. If you asked, they would have no clue how long the line was.

Also, some good course designers (even at local shows) will adjust up or down based on how the ring rides. The line that is always ridden towards the gate will be longer than the line that is uphill.

DMK
Apr. 28, 2010, 02:29 PM
depending on the rated show and ring size, I've seen some 12'3 and 12'6 lines probably more often than a 12 step. Local shows? In theory, they would be a 12 step... Sort of like "in theory, they would be 3'0" ...

findeight
Apr. 28, 2010, 03:01 PM
Certain shows around here always set pretty short and real friendly height wise (begins with a W if you are thinking that one). Others always set honest or a little long, particularly in a larger, outside ring.

Usually, even if they are honest, they will shave a little off. Like that 4 stride at 60' would measure at around 59', especially if it's a first line. Your 2'6" lines should be a smidge off the straight 12', especially in a smaller ring, more like 58'. You want the arc of the jump to match the strides, not make them have to lenthen to get out because the smaller jump does not take them as deep into the line.

When you do go into a big, outside ring, distances can be longer as horse is rolling along and not having to go around a corner every 15 strides.

I know I am not that brave but, last off the property show I went to, I felt like a snail trying to jam the strides in-and my mare is old and was never that gifted step wise.

Anyway, most of out locals are pretty consistent with how they set them show to show and even year to year.

tidy rabbit
Apr. 28, 2010, 03:08 PM
Hey F8, ya, you guessed it, that's the place I'm thinking of... "w".

I'm thinking of going down there this weekend. You gonna be around?

findeight
Apr. 28, 2010, 04:12 PM
I could be, if it's not raining. And it gets too late-it IS Derby day. barn has a few going.

Warning-that one can run looooong. They are nice and do a good job but...conflict mangement or suggestion for such is...er...lacking.

tidy rabbit
Apr. 28, 2010, 04:26 PM
There is so few entries for this one that they are running the rings one at a time, only one judge. So E said my little 3' classes should go around 2pm.

Ravencrest_Camp
Apr. 29, 2010, 09:37 AM
The lines in the 3' hunters at that level are likely to be based off a 12' stride, so a five-stride line would be 72' (60' for the five strides, 6' for landing, 6' for take-off).

You start with a 12' stride and adjust accordingly, there is no set in stone measurement. A good course desinger will vary the length of the lines for the conditions of the ring on that day. Even a small adjustment of 3" can make a difference

The course designer will work off of a 12' stride, but then adjust the length of the lines for certain conditions. For example, a line away from the in gate will be slightly shorter than a line towards the in gate. The type of footing will affect how the lines are set. (grass vs sand). The level of competition will dictate how the lines are set.

The goal of hunter course design is to encourage good jumping.

carasmom
Apr. 29, 2010, 10:07 AM
It is small this weekend but a good one to take the greenies! Hope the ring moves quickly but.....:)
I would love to meet you Tidy. Look for the more mature lady :yes: with a small grey pony, a medium black and white paint, a bay and whatever else we decide to bring along!

findeight
Apr. 29, 2010, 10:07 AM
Theoretically, that is correct. In the world of local shows catering to the level of exhibitor they attract? Not so much.

I wish more show organizers would set to allow the horse to be shown to it's best, not have to compensate for not wanting to ever move the lines in or out from 2'3"ish to 3'6"-that assuming they can fill the 3'6". Or move them but keep them, and the fence height, too "friendly" for an honest 3' horse.

But this particular show would be a very good one for a first out. Huge warm up, big ring, pretty setting. Footing is OK and the jumps not too imposing.

Anyway, TR, I might swing by around midafternoon on Saturday. That show is barely 30 minutes away via back roads. Derby BS is on all day but the race is around 6pm.

tidy rabbit
Apr. 29, 2010, 11:04 AM
I am thinking I'll bring Dodger and I'm not sure what to put him in.

If the 3' is really only 2'6 or 2'9 than that's what we'll do.

Part of me wants to go on Sunday to do one of the hack classes. I definitely don't want to miss the Derby either. Guess I'll just have to decide based on the weather forecast.

findeight
Apr. 29, 2010, 11:52 AM
Usually 2'9" in, maybe 3' out. Singles 2'9"ish. If there is a single first fence on the 1/4 line, it's real friendly. Not the big, imposing rails and walls with half the garden shop hanging from the standards or stuffed into the oxers of a AA.

Remember AA Hunters in our zone are 2'9"-3'3" anyway, so it's legit.

RugBug
Apr. 29, 2010, 12:38 PM
We set a little soft at my schooling shows...but not that soft. Distances are set at 12' and height SHOULD be what's listed, but the cups we use make things a little lower or a little higher than class specs. For instance, if class is 2'9", the cups are IN the 2'9" hole, so the jump is about 2'8" or so. If we used the 3', the jumps would be higher than 2'9" (about 2'11") and we don't want that. It's the one draw back of these cups.

AT a bigger show I would expect to see 12.5' or so in the 3'

findeight
Apr. 29, 2010, 12:55 PM
USEF zone 5 specs are 2'9" to 3'3". Most of the other zones are 2'9" to 3'. A first fence is permitted to be 3" lower so 2'6". There is no requirement for line length.

This show is "friendly", but it is legit.

Flash44
Apr. 29, 2010, 01:56 PM
You also have the "its where the jumps always go" theory of course design at local shows. These places leave their jumps set up 24/7/365, and everyone jumps those jumps in those locations whether they like it or not.

With craters on both take off and landing side! THAT is why they set them at 2'6, because you take off out of a hole!

Linda Mash
Apr. 6, 2011, 12:54 PM
Are the lines in the 3' hunter longer on grass? I was told they could be up to 13' on turf.

CBoylen
Apr. 6, 2011, 06:35 PM
Local shows 12' or shorter. I can't recall ever having seen them directly on the 12' at a rated show, they usually give you at least another foot, and generally more.

SkipChange
Apr. 6, 2011, 08:12 PM
Ahhhh local shows. Last local show we went to at a different farm they had lines set on HALF strides and lines set dead on 12ft stride. I'm not sure what they were smoking when they made that course up. The course diagram had listed distances that did not correspond with actual distances.