PDA

View Full Version : Saratoga

Jumperprincess
Apr. 28, 2010, 07:57 AM
Just curious, Any-one not going to Saratoga that usually go?

supershorty628
Apr. 28, 2010, 09:03 AM
I'm only going the second week as opposed to both, but that's a schedule conflict on my part. Kind of an odd question...why do you ask?

Scruffy
Apr. 28, 2010, 12:02 PM
St. Clements is not what it used to be. Sadly, it has turned into a dumpy show filled with locals who are entertaining if nothing else:no:.

beckalexis
Apr. 28, 2010, 08:40 PM
St. Clements is not what it used to be. Sadly, it has turned into a dumpy show filled with locals who are entertaining if nothing else:no:.

That's so sad. I used to go to that show every spring during my junior years and I still consider it my favorite. However, I have not done it in many years.

supershorty628
Apr. 28, 2010, 09:06 PM

What about Ox Ridge? That show has gone downhill a LOT.

Linny
Apr. 28, 2010, 09:25 PM
Did you start this thread just to bash the show and the locals?

Jumperprincess
Apr. 29, 2010, 07:29 AM
JEEEZ-lighten up. I started the thread to see if it is as popular as it once was, have heard alot of folks saying they aren't going this year thats all-relax

Lexus
Apr. 29, 2010, 07:35 AM
I think Saratoga is very popular. The feedback I've heard is how much everyone loves it. I'll be there with my horses.

supershorty628
Apr. 29, 2010, 07:59 AM
Agreed with Lexus. If Saratoga were so bad, I highly doubt barns like North Run would continue going ;).

Timex
Apr. 29, 2010, 08:28 AM
Well, as one of the 'locals' I'll be sure to thanks Missy Clark, et al for continuing to 'slum' with us. Lol!

luvs2ridewbs
Apr. 29, 2010, 09:45 AM
I bet its easy points for those barns.

ponymom64
Apr. 29, 2010, 09:52 AM
What about Ox Ridge? That show has gone downhill a LOT.

I think they are trying to upgrade Ox Ridge -they've hired a new show manager this year. Unfortunately, the show manager can't help the weather, which IMO has been one of the biggest problems the last few years.

bascher
Apr. 29, 2010, 11:20 AM
We go to Saratoga for the two weeks in June and I love it! There are still certainly enough people going seeing as how last year at least there were close to 50 in the younger adults :D

Let me tell you, at least in the adults, it CERTAINLY is not easy points with the number of horses, plus the fact that all of them are really good! And as far as other divisions go, I don't agree with easy points either. Louise Serio (at least last year) went to the June weeks as well as some other BNTs, so in my experience, the competition is very stiff! But I love the horse show, even though the entries in my ring are always massive, they really try to keep everything running, and the place is beautiful with all of the woods around it.

Fiction
Apr. 29, 2010, 01:12 PM
There is a HUGE difference between the May shows (St. Clement's) and the June shows (Skidmore Classic). Completely different management, committees, sponsors, fees, course designers, classes, prize money, competitors, even the jumps are different.

It's like comparing apples to oranges.

huntereq7
Apr. 29, 2010, 01:15 PM
I think they are trying to upgrade Ox Ridge -they've hired a new show manager this year. Unfortunately, the show manager can't help the weather, which IMO has been one of the biggest problems the last few years.

Agreed! Definitely had to get pulled out by a tractor last year lol. Hoping the weather will be better for Ox Ridge and Fairfield this year!

ponymom64
Apr. 29, 2010, 01:47 PM
Agreed! Definitely had to get pulled out by a tractor last year lol. Hoping the weather will be better for Ox Ridge and Fairfield this year!

Lots of peeps had to get pulled out by the tractor!! That Brookledge van was at Ox Ridge for WEEKS!! I'm hoping the weather is better - maybe it being a week later will help *fingers crossed*

huntereq7
Apr. 29, 2010, 01:50 PM
I remember seeing the Brookledge van stuck! I have a gray horse now so for grooming's sake I hope it doesn't rain!

Lucassb
Apr. 29, 2010, 02:46 PM

I had to get pulled out with the tractor last year too, LOL. But I still really like that show, maybe because I got my favorite pictures of the year there?

The other thing I remember from that show was the judge working us in one of the adult eq flat sections as the heavens opened up. As I rode by shaking the water off the brim of my helmet, he laughed and said, "You all are really old enough to know better!" :lol:

Hope the weather is nicer this year!

InWhyCee Redux
Apr. 29, 2010, 03:54 PM

Oh, yes, those upstaters are a riot. Muffy and I soooo enjoy watching them fall off their cheap American horses. Some of them don't even have GPAs, can you believe it?

bascher
Apr. 29, 2010, 08:02 PM
There is a HUGE difference between the May shows (St. Clement's) and the June shows (Skidmore Classic). Completely different management, committees, sponsors, fees, course designers, classes, prize money, competitors, even the jumps are different.

It's like comparing apples to oranges.

I apologize..I don't know much about the St. Clement's ones and I assumed that they were similar to the ones in June. My bad!

Fiction
Apr. 29, 2010, 08:35 PM
I apologize..I don't know much about the St. Clement's ones and I assumed that they were similar to the ones in June. My bad!

Oh no worries! I've shown at both shows for the past six years or so, and IMO, the June shows have been going up in quality each year, whereas the May shows seem to have gone down a bit.
However, the St. Clement's shows do offer more for the higher level jumpers (such as a small GP), while the Skidmore shows are geared a little bit more towards the hunter divisions. Part of what makes them hard to compare, I guess..

Linny
Apr. 29, 2010, 10:07 PM
Skidmore (June) wil have a Derby this year and generally gets alot of horses on the way to Lake Placid. St Clement's is sort of the annual coming out for the upstaters who have been hibernating all winter. Because of the timing, Skidmore is a more competitive show but St. Clement's is one that most of us local yokels look forward to-at least until we get the weather forecast.
It's fair to say that St. Clement's is more local friendly, with more modifieds etc. It's still not an easy show and draws many big barns from the northeast.

Scruffy
May. 13, 2010, 12:04 PM
Don't kid yourselves...Clements is a easy show. Especially with the local "talented" trainers and the rider's produced by said "professionals". I can count on one hand and not use all my fingers the number of pros in that area that have any business hanging out a shingle.

boosma47
May. 13, 2010, 07:55 PM
Scruffy, your condescension is unnecessary. There are some excellent, experienced and highly knowledgeable trainers here - and, yes, there aren't a huge number of them, but this is not a huge area. There are also excellent and reputable trainers from the east coast attending.

Lighten up and stop being a snot. There's good and not so good everywhere.

MHM
May. 13, 2010, 11:41 PM
When I was there last week, Missy Clark was there with something like 40 horses.

horserider12
May. 16, 2010, 09:30 PM
anyone know the results of the grand prix today?