PDA

View Full Version : Secretary-type question on switching divisions at a HT

deltawave
Apr. 27, 2010, 07:27 PM
We're thinking Bonnie is going to do Training at IEA, but that depends on how she does at May-Daze.

So I sent the entry in today for Novice, with the hopes of moving her up into a Training spot if she earns it. ;) Trainer says I should've done it the other way around, that it's easier/more kosher with organizers to drop down than to move up a division. Dang.

Thoughts?

bornfreenowexpensive
Apr. 27, 2010, 07:34 PM
I agree with your trainer...that's how I usually do it. Still may not be a problem though.

I think it just always sounds better that you are playing it safe and running a lower level than moving up....and also, if the division is more expensive, you have already paid the higher entry fee.

Divine Comedy
Apr. 27, 2010, 07:44 PM
Agreed. Enter at T, move down to N. Secretaries will never force you to jump a division higher than you are comfortable, and will likely drop you down with no problem.

Almost Heaven
Apr. 27, 2010, 08:13 PM
Totally depends on entries and the secretary. Crap shoot. Better if the show allows double entries.

lecoeurtriste
Apr. 27, 2010, 08:47 PM
As a secretary for 7 recognized and what feels like a million unrecognized events each year, I don't think it really matters which way you want to move (up to T or down to N)--what really matters is when you ask to move. If you change levels before closing date or pretty soon afterwards, most events should be able to accommodate a move either way...however, the closer you get to the actual event or after division sizes and rings are set, there may not physically be any space to which to move you. Many secretaries, myself included, will keep a list of late change requests and try to accommodate them as scratches and other changes come in up until you go down centerline. Also, do not be surprised if you're asked to pay a change fee if you move after the closing date. That said, good luck with the move up!!

LAZ
Apr. 27, 2010, 09:11 PM
Is this for IEA? If it is, give Celia the heads up as she is one of the nicest people imaginable & will do her best if
A) you've let her know ahead of time that's your thought and
B) you let her know ASAP so it's a simple matter of moving from the end of one to the start of another.
C) are polite and friendly (which I know you are).

deltawave
Apr. 27, 2010, 09:14 PM
Thanks, all. Yes, this is for IEA and I could kick myself for doing it backwards. :mad: I will email Celia, but should I wait a week or so just so the initial furor of entries, etc. quiets down? I hate, HATE to pester organizers and secretaries! :(

LAZ
Apr. 27, 2010, 09:28 PM
Thanks, all. Yes, this is for IEA and I could kick myself for doing it backwards. :mad: I will email Celia, but should I wait a week or so just so the initial furor of entries, etc. quiets down? I hate, HATE to pester organizers and secretaries! :(

I have an in. :lol: I'll send her a heads up & you go ahead and send her an email.

Janet
Apr. 27, 2010, 11:08 PM
I think you should let her know ASAP that there is a possibility you will change.

BestHorses
Apr. 28, 2010, 09:19 AM
Totally depends on entries and the secretary. Crap shoot. Better if the show allows double entries.

Dumb question, but how do double entries work? Can you enter two divisions with the same horse and decide later which one to ride? Do you have to pay for two entries to do it that way?