PDA

View Full Version : Saddle pad solutions for the tight budget

didgery
Apr. 27, 2010, 04:35 PM
Hey! I have been trail riding my sensitive-skinned mule in a wool felt contour pad (like this: http://www.jeffersequine.com/ssc/product.asp?CID=1&pf_id=0026547 but cut down to fit my dressage saddle better), which seems to help with his duel issues of saddle slippage and galled skin. He has been 100% comfortable since I switched from a regular quilted square to this pad.

I ride in a Wintec Isabell with a mohair endurance girth, padded britchin and a breastplate, like so: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_l40dpZjZDEU/S7orzCX8epI/AAAAAAAAAno/1k95tbJQzrg/s1600/IMG_8547.JPG

He does really well in this setup, generally, even on hilly terrain.

This week, I went on a longer-than average ride and created a new problem: his shedding fur rubs, twists, and binds into horrible little mats under his saddle pad in the cantle area. I have gently groomed them out as well as possible but they are still not smooth. Before I ride again, what shall I do?

I curried him for an hour before riding, and am as attentive as possible when grooming, but he still has quite a bit of coat since he lives out 24/7. Any chafe-free saddle pad solutions or advice for the sensitive shedder?

Thanks!

PRS
Apr. 27, 2010, 04:43 PM
Poor Fenny....I use a lightly quilted, contoured dressage pad as an underpad. Still have "hair pills" but they don't seem to be as bad since the hair doesn't stick to the dressage pad as bad. But I guess since that didn't work for him...try spraying just the parts directly under the rear of the saddle (where I assume the rubs occur) with Show Sheen.

citydog
Apr. 27, 2010, 04:45 PM
OMG, he's adorable! What a solid little chunk!

Try sheepskin. You can get full skins on eBay, or sheepskin carseat covers for cheap, and then just cut them down.

leilatigress
Apr. 27, 2010, 05:00 PM
To help with the shedding you might try the old trick of raw eggs in his feed three or four times a week for a couple of weeks. I have used eggs to shed out my horses for years and it works miracles. Added bonus of shiny coats if your horse has any allergies though don't try it. I also recommend cactus cloth rubdown before riding as it takes the loose hair right off and again a shiny coat bonus. One of the geldings in our barn is like your mule and his rider swears by the sheepskin.

kookicat
Apr. 27, 2010, 05:12 PM
Try giving him a bath every week or so until he's shed out. The warm water seems to loosen a lot of hair.

Maybe a plain cotton saddle pad won't grab the hair as much?

PRS
Apr. 27, 2010, 05:37 PM
Someone gave me this tip...I've not been brave enough to try it though. She said to use baby oil...all over the horse then wash it off the next day. She said she tried it but it was too early in the season and her horse was nekkid.

Foxyrab
Apr. 27, 2010, 08:31 PM
Any chafe-free saddle pad solutions or advice for the sensitive shedder?

Thanks!

Something that has helped me with the issue of "loin rubbing" is to sew a piece of slick fabric, such as what would be used to line a coat or jacket, to the back of the saddle pad.

NICE mule! Do you have neoprene "sleeves" over the noseband of your hackamore and on your breastplate? If so, can I ask where you got them?

didgery
Apr. 28, 2010, 12:06 AM
Thanks for all the replies! I will certainly try some of your suggestions and let you know how it goes!

My green bits on my breastplate and hackamore are cut off and sewn from an old polarfleece polo wrap. Just wanted to give him a little padding under the hardware . . .

Thanks for the compliments. He's a sweetie. He blogs a bit at www.BraysOfOurLives.com and there are lots of additional pictures of him at his facebook page, www.Facebook.com/fenwayBartholomule

I'll keep you updated!

Huntertwo
Apr. 28, 2010, 07:21 AM
I use a cotton Baby Pad under my good pads. Easier to wash..;)

Dover has them most time under $20.00. You could try Smartpak also and get the free shipping.

Your Mule is absolutely adorable! I've always wanted one..:yes:

kookicat
Apr. 28, 2010, 09:58 AM
You could also use an old pillowcase under the pad you have now. Should tell you in a couple of rides if the cotton pad idea would work. :)

KarenC
Apr. 28, 2010, 10:04 AM
A little show sheen (very little!) sprayed only on the area of rubs can help. I've had similar problems with one horse that only occurs during shedding season and the show sheen helps with the friction.

didgery
May. 6, 2010, 04:48 PM
Thanks again, everyone, for the helpful replies! Using a soft old cotton pad under my wool pad seems to have helped, and Fen's accomplished a lot of shedding in the last two weeks. I think the problem has passed.

All the best!

D