PDA

View Full Version : Is this bit really worth the money? UPDATE

KellyS
Apr. 27, 2010, 03:00 PM
I've got a 2-year-old that I've just started long lining. Up until now he's been wearing a loose-ring bit that is similar to the Herm Sprenger duo bit, The HS has a thinner mouthpiece than the current bit, but Rally has a small mouth so I'd actually prefer something with a narrower diameter. He is much happier in a duo-type mouthpiece versus a single- or double-jointed bit.

He needs a 4.5 or 4.75" bit...and it's hard to find a variety of bits in this size. His current bit is 4.5"; the HS comes in a 4.75" mouthpiece, which would work nicely and leave some room as he grows.

Thing is, now that we are installing steering he really needs to be in a d-ring or full cheek. The loose ring just isn't cutting it. So, is it worth spending $130 on the HS duo d-ring bit? I can't find anything else similar but it's killing me to think of spending so much money on a bit that I've never tried before.

Current bit:
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=1154012&l=b1fcc7277d&id=1059684218 (not a terribly good pic of it)

HS duo d-ring:
http://www.doversaddlery.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_X1-011921

Little cutie pie first time long lining with Mr. KellyS:
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=1154018&l=98e0b617f6&id=1059684218

This isn't necessarily an eventing topic but I wasn't quite sure where else to post. I do hope he turns out to be my future eventer. :)

Jleegriffith
Apr. 27, 2010, 03:23 PM
I think they are well worth it and I found myself buying several in different sizes and the loose ring, d ring and the three ring. I ride mostly ottb's and have come across a few that have very sensitive mouth's and prefer a very thin flexible mouthpiece and this bit has always done the trick for me. I became a believer after my trainer suggested it for a horse who you simply couldn't touch w/o him rearing. He wore it for about a year before I switched him to a HS kk but it made all the difference.

I am currently using the loose ring version on a very strong 16.3 h tb who has a HUGE tongue and small mouth. He has clearly shown he prefers a thin mullen and he likes the duo better than metal.

I have found almost all of mine on ebay and I do currently have a D-ring if you would like to give it a try w/o buying it first. I find they do give you a different feel then a jointed bit but I have gotten used to it.

fanfayre
Apr. 27, 2010, 03:59 PM
See if you can track down a Nathe bit. They are almost identical to the Duos, but quite a bit cheaper. I think they come in a full-cheek version, though, rather than a d-ring.
I just bought one for my 5-year old who started grinding over the winter- 1st ride in the nathe and he quit completely. I did find that you need to order a size up though, so for a 4.5 you'd order the 4.75.
Hope that helps:)

tigrrlily04
Apr. 27, 2010, 04:14 PM
Definitely worth it! Here's a 5" loose ring on ebay, but you could add bit guards to it to take up some of the room in the mouth and provide some feel on the cheeks: http://cgi.ebay.com/5-Inch-Herm-Sprenger-Duo-Loose-Ring-Snaffle-/180497991449?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a0684c719

BestHorses
Apr. 27, 2010, 04:28 PM
I think they are totally worth it. My horse is using one now and he hates anything jointed because it pinches his tongue. I ordered a Nathe and it was way too thick for his small mouth. Even Happy Mouths are too thick. The duo is the only bit I've found that's thin enough for his mouth conformation while still being soft and flexible. My only wish is that the dee ring came in an actual 5 inch as the 5 and an eighth is a little too wide for him and I'm afraid a 4.75 would be too small. But I say go for it!

bornfreenowexpensive
Apr. 27, 2010, 04:39 PM
yeah...they are worth it. I've used mine on many different horses as well.

Very useful bit.

poltroon
Apr. 27, 2010, 04:42 PM
I have the Duo D-ring in the 4.75 width. It's a great bit and I really like it.

The only downside is that because it's a soft mouthpiece, it's not going to last forever if you have a chewer (as I do). I made the mistake of using mine for an in-hand class that took a long, long time and she chewed it down to the metal core.

The bit has a 3 year warranty, and Dover replaced mine for free. I bought a metal bit for the next in-hand class. :)

There aren't a lot of options out there for a mullen snaffle, let alone a flexible mullen snaffle with D or full cheek sides, in 4.75".

I felt the same way as you did making the plunge. It especially kills me that the loose ring HS is literally half the price. Hopefully someone will take the hint and make a more affordable version.

Meanwhile, it's a good bit and I'm not sorry I bought it.

fanfayre
Apr. 27, 2010, 04:51 PM
Just had a thought-
Why don't you buy some Sealtex and wrap a regular D-ring or full-cheek with it? Then you can have a mullen-type mouthpiece with the cheeks you want in a size that you know will fit. It's what I did with my thin kk loos-ring while I was waiting for my nathe to arrive after my guy chewed through the one we were loaned. Now I have to give my brand-new Nathe away :(.
I know you can't show with the sealtex, but your pony's obviously a long way yet from that and by then you may have found a better solution :cool:

KellyS
Apr. 28, 2010, 04:51 PM
Thanks all! You convinced me to buy it. :D And Jleegriffith--thanks so much for your kind offer! I really appreciate it!

I did think of wrapping a bit with Sealtex but this guy is so mouthy that I didn't want to give him any reason to start chewing on the bit. So far he's really quiet with the current one. I like the Nathe's but haven't found one in a full cheek or d-ring. I really think the duo bit is the right one, though, even if my pocketbook was arguing with me. :)

jn4jenny
Apr. 28, 2010, 04:58 PM
I like the Nathe's but haven't found one in a full cheek or d-ring. I really think the duo bit is the right one, though, even if my pocketbook was arguing with me. :)

Call Cabin Branch Tack Shop in South Carolina. They allegedly sell the whole Nathe line, including the full cheek and dee.

staceyk
May. 12, 2010, 07:11 AM
Re: Nathe bit mullen type

Gry2Yng
May. 12, 2010, 10:17 AM
I think I am going to watch ebay for one, just to have it in my bit box. I don't need it right now so I can be patient, but because I love the OTTB's so much, it would probably come in handy. My baby started out as a grinder, he is done with that now, this might have been helpful then.

ADM7040
May. 12, 2010, 05:02 PM
Call Cabin Branch Tack Shop in South Carolina. They allegedly sell the whole Nathe line, including the full cheek and dee.

Cabin Branch is in Southern Pines, North Carolina. They have an extensive collection of bits including a huge inventory of Nathe Bits. The people who own it and who work there are all very nice and very helpful.

Zwarte
May. 17, 2010, 09:22 PM
Bit of Britain has a Herm Sprenger Bit rental program. It might be worth contacting them to see if you can try it out.

http://www.bitofbritain.com/Herm_Sprenger_Bit_Rental_Program_s/357.htm

KellyS
Jul. 27, 2010, 10:30 PM
Just wanted to update and say that the duo bit is just awesome (bought the d-ring)! Rally loves it! He is very soft and accepts it with no problem. Well worth the money...I'm sure I'll get a lot of miles out of it. :D

Here he is modeling his new bridle (SmartPak Harwich) and bit:
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=1396700&l=debf10133c&id=1059684218

Thanks for all the advice!