PDA

View Full Version : Just in case you didn't already know how awesome Allison Springer is . . .

deltawave
Apr. 27, 2010, 12:18 PM
I will let other people link to the thread where I opened my big mouth and offered $500 to any rider iconoclastic and brave enough to trot down center line for their dressage test at Rolex with an approved helmet on.

I think the whole eventing world now knows that one solitary rider did so, not because of this but for her own very good reasons. In fact I'm 100% certain Allison knew nothing about my small wager before the fact.

Now to make me an even bigger fan, Allison has indicated that she would like the money to go to Courtney Dye's recovery fund. I am fixing to make that happen (love using that term, even though I'm a Yankee) and just wanted to pass this on to COTH people. I'm going to write to Allison and see if she'd mind me taking this more "public" in the form of a letter to the editor of COTH--she deserves to be applauded everywhere she goes, not only for her brilliant riding but for what she has done for our sport. I know her big wins will come, but she's already got her name in the firmament as far as I'm concerned. :yes:

Thank you to those who have privately contacted me to help out--and it's not too late to add on! :D Just shoot me a PM and we can make Allison's statement really count even more.

Rescue_Rider9
Apr. 27, 2010, 12:46 PM
That is amazing. She is amazing. YOU are amazing! Go all of you!

chancellor2
Apr. 27, 2010, 12:49 PM
WOW! Just WOW!

LSM1212
Apr. 27, 2010, 12:53 PM
PM sent. :)

ShowMeTheGlory
Apr. 27, 2010, 12:54 PM
That freakin' rocks!!!

SueCoo2
Apr. 27, 2010, 01:08 PM
This sport is made up of some of the finest and classiest human beings on the planet! :yes:

FLeckenAwesome
Apr. 27, 2010, 01:12 PM
Fantastic!!!!!! Kudos to you and Allison!!!!

rideforthelaurels16
Apr. 27, 2010, 01:14 PM
She's awesome - and so are you for coughing up the cash! Very cool!
I'm a poor teenager and can't contribute anything monetary, but if there's any way I can help out, do let me know! Perhaps Allison would like a portrait of her and Arthur to commemorate the occasion ;)

webmistress32
Apr. 27, 2010, 01:15 PM
however I was COMPLETELY wigged out when Allison's bell rang for her test and she proceeded to calmly start cantering around the outside of the ring. huh?

we're watching the clock ... 29 seconds when she's at C. 10 seconds when she's at B. 1 second when she's rounding the corner to enter at A. 0 seconds as her horse's shoulders enter the ring. YIKES!!! thanks for the heart attack!

she looked totally Awesome and Coolness on her Liver Chestnut with Cream dressage pad, cream shirt, gloves and navy blue (black?) jacket and gorgeous IGA (??) helmet. is that her brand?

LOVED THE HELMET, WE WERE ALL CHEERING FOR YOU!!

.... but not just because of the helmet, but because Allison's from our coolness Pony Club Region North Central Prairie ... Fox River Valley Pony Club to be exact ...

:) :) :)

ps we're an every ride, every time group and loved seeing our gal wearing hers! can you tell?

mcorbett
Apr. 27, 2010, 01:18 PM
Did you see this video?
http://useventing.com/blog/?p=9041

I bought the GR8 at Rolex to replace my hunt cap for the season.

We should get Oprah to make a contract for people to sign.

deltawave
Apr. 27, 2010, 01:20 PM
CHARLES OWEN. :yes:

NanO
Apr. 27, 2010, 01:22 PM
From every parent whose kid rides THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!

NeverTime
Apr. 27, 2010, 01:22 PM
Love it! She's a class act all the way. :yes:

monstrpony
Apr. 27, 2010, 01:37 PM
Now, where's the "hats ON to you!" icon when you need it? What great people you both are, Allison and Lynn!

retreadeventer
Apr. 27, 2010, 03:06 PM
WOW awesome, Delta! You go girl! Let us know how much is raised, too. [thumbs up]

ohhthatgirl
Apr. 27, 2010, 03:11 PM
I just got goosebumps. Thank you both for making such an impact. :)

onelanerode
Apr. 27, 2010, 03:18 PM
Well done to both of you! :yes:

dixiedolphin
Apr. 27, 2010, 03:19 PM
Okay, where's the "LIKE" button when you need it!

I've been off the grid for a few days and just saw photos from Rolex today. I was immediately drawn to the photo of the rider in a helmet... a quick google later to find out who it was and I am sold! Allison Springer has my eternal respect!

Hopefully this will encourage more people to follow her example and make for a safer sport!

woodside
Apr. 27, 2010, 03:25 PM
We were talking about Allison Springer and her helmet at the barn yesterday and one of the working students (who is currently going Intermediate and about to do a 2*) said "She did?! That must mean I can, too. That's great!" So that's one more young head that will remain protected because of you, Allison. Thank you!!!

AKB
Apr. 27, 2010, 03:33 PM
Well done, Deltawave. Allison is truly a class act.

riderboy
Apr. 27, 2010, 03:41 PM
Very, very well done. Now, how about some other ULRs following suit? Wear your damn (Damm?) helmets!

spaceagevalkyrie
Apr. 27, 2010, 03:41 PM
Fox River Valley Pony Club to be exact ...

:) :) :)

ps we're an every ride, every time group and loved seeing our gal wearing hers! can you tell?

Thats the one I was thinking about joining, actually :lol:

RunForIt
Apr. 27, 2010, 04:26 PM
PM and lots of love sent your way!!!:winkgrin: :cool:

mybelle
Apr. 27, 2010, 04:27 PM
Did you see this video?
http://useventing.com/blog/?p=9041

Thank you for sharing! I'm a huge Allison fan and occaisonal student of hers and I had no idea she had been touched so personally by head trauma.

webmistress32
Apr. 27, 2010, 04:29 PM
spaceagevalkyrie:

just remember: "it's about the kids, only the kids and nothing but the kids."

make it a mantra and you'll enjoy! :)

don't let my bad experiences deter you from having a good time. LOL.

AlexMakowski
Apr. 27, 2010, 04:33 PM
Awesome. Enjoy seeing people go against the grain (in a reasonable and well founded manner of course)

subk
Apr. 27, 2010, 04:52 PM
Yesterday on EventingNation I listed Allison in a helmet for dressage as one of my favorite Rolex moments. Lynn, cudoos to you!

Seeing this photo I think Karen O'Connor should be the next to ride down the centerline in one. http://eventingnation.com/home/2010/04/one-shining-moment.html#comments

skip916
Apr. 27, 2010, 05:51 PM
arthur was my favorite horse going in to rolex and allison springer was my favorite as soon as i saw that helmet- what an awesome, brave, mature and intelligent statement to make. i got chill bumps watching her!

deltawave
Apr. 27, 2010, 06:19 PM
subk, I loved that picture of Karen and Mandiba. What a good, kind pony! :)

I am overwhelmed with the responses--thank all of you SO MUCH for the strong support and the checks from those of you who can. This is going to be a good, good thing. :yes: I'm trying to keep up with PMs, but if I don't reply within half a day it's probably work-related. :p

RunForIt
Apr. 27, 2010, 06:55 PM
subk, I loved that picture of Karen and Mandiba. What a good, kind pony! :)

I am overwhelmed with the responses--thank all of you SO MUCH for the strong support and the checks from those of you who can. This is going to be a good, good thing. :yes: I'm trying to keep up with PMs, but if I don't reply within half a day it's probably work-related. :p

Billy Burke (ME, as in Lynda) just sent you a little bit to add to the check for Courtney - Thanks again to you and Allison...:cool:

Hollywood
Apr. 27, 2010, 07:12 PM
Well done DW and Allison!

KBG Eventer
Apr. 27, 2010, 07:14 PM
Since we bought Ti I did actually already know how cool Allison is, but this is awesome! :)

OverandOnward
Apr. 27, 2010, 08:22 PM
Fantastic to hear all this. I am sure deltawave absolutely meant that offer ... and very possibly did not think there would be a payout anytime soon.

Huge kudos to Allison and deltawave both for stepping up to the plate!!! :)

frugalannie
Apr. 27, 2010, 08:37 PM
This sport is made up of some of the finest and classiest human beings on the planet! :yes:

And Allison and DW are two of them.

Kudos, Lynn. You are a classy chick.

barnboss
Apr. 27, 2010, 09:11 PM
That is simply amazing! Wow, I applaud Alison for wearing it. More people should do so, and I think this might encourage some to! Great, great, great stuff! (:

CookiePony
Apr. 27, 2010, 09:28 PM
How completely cool this is!!

enjoytheride
Apr. 27, 2010, 09:59 PM
So Deltawave, did she hit you up for the check? I know lots of famous people read the BB so that would be neat if she was reading it

Grataan
Apr. 27, 2010, 11:03 PM
Way to go Lynn and Allison!

SevenDogs
Apr. 27, 2010, 11:56 PM
So Deltawave, did she hit you up for the check? I know lots of famous people read the BB so that would be neat if she was reading it

No, DW graciously offered, even though the original program wasn't ever completed as discussed here and was always envisioned to be a group effort. :)

eponacowgirl
Apr. 28, 2010, 12:01 AM
Allison Springer rocks my face off.

I think COTH should issue a challenge to another BNR. KOC, maybe. Or the newest up-and-comer that we're loving right now- Lauren Kieffer?

deltawave
Apr. 28, 2010, 06:49 AM

Certainly not! I don't know if she reads COTH or not, and the idea to donate the $$ to Courtney was Allison's. (via another COTHer) :)

And it HAS become a group effort. My contribution was only the beginning. :)

texang73
Apr. 28, 2010, 08:07 AM
What a great thread! It was awesome to see Allison rockin' the helmet in dressage.

http://www.horsephotoguy.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=73&pos=0

There was also a dressage rider (Jacqueline Brooks (CAN) on Balmoral) in the KY Cup Dressage Freestyle that wore a helmet as well.
http://www.horsephotoguy.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=73&pos=14

riderboy
Apr. 28, 2010, 08:15 AM
What a great thread! It was awesome to see Allison rockin' the helmet in dressage.

http://www.horsephotoguy.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=73&pos=0

There was also a dressage rider (Jacqueline Brooks (CAN) on Balmoral) in the KY Cup Dressage Freestyle that wore a helmet as well.
http://www.horsephotoguy.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=73&pos=14

Yes, Jackie Brooks got HUGE applause for wearing her helmet also. That was also a very brave thing to do for a Grand Prix dressage rider and I was just so,so happy to see it. FINALLY. Great job Deltawave!

annikak
Apr. 28, 2010, 08:43 AM
DW-

really really cool on all fronts!

Anyone want to buy my top hat??? :winkgrin: I'll donate what I get to the fund....

eponacowgirl
Apr. 28, 2010, 08:53 AM
DW-

Another bonus! I posted about this on my blog (http://manyadventuresoflauren.blogspot.com/) last night and I woke up to a text from one of my adult students (who is an ER doc) asking which brand of helmet she should buy. She's nearly 50, been riding since she could walk and is a confirmed non-helmet wearer.

VICTORY!

I also posted the link to my blog on FB, as I do everytime I update, and its already been crossposted a handful of times. :D:D

texang73
Apr. 28, 2010, 09:32 AM
Yes, Jackie Brooks got HUGE applause for wearing her helmet also. That was also a very brave thing to do for a Grand Prix dressage rider and I was just so,so happy to see it. FINALLY. Great job Deltawave!

It was GREAT to see wasn't it? Let's hope this gets more people to wear helmets!

monstrpony
Apr. 28, 2010, 10:33 AM
DW-

Anyone want to buy my top hat??? :winkgrin: I'll donate what I get to the fund....

Someone needs to dig out that pic from the DE (?) catalog, with the chick wearing a top hat with the funky hairstyle. Make top hats a mainstream fashion statement, so everyone who has one can sell them to non-riders for big $$$. Hopefully, get enough return to buy a good helmet for themself and donate a little to their favorite cause.

frugalannie
Apr. 28, 2010, 12:50 PM

Annika, you rock too (but you knew I thought that!). Maybe a Madonna wannnabe would want the hat?

How about we "pre-fund" a nest egg, say $10 from every COTH member who believes that ASTM helmets should be worn in dressage, and everytime a BNR wears one in competition, we send $1 per member to Courtney's fund or another deserving cause in the name of the BNR. Limited to once per BNR and to Advanced only (maybe) this could result in 10 BNRs getting some public support for a smart decision. Then we get COTH to write an article with photos of each of the BNRs "in action" in the dressage ring.

Just an idea: the devil is in the details, of course!

deltawave
Apr. 28, 2010, 01:26 PM
Anyone want to buy my top hat???

My dear friend, I sincerely hope that your top hat's value has plummeted beyond recovery recently. :) Might be a great prop for a stage show or something. . . ;)

Big Spender
Apr. 28, 2010, 01:26 PM
Certainly not! I don't know if she reads COTH or not, and the idea to donate the $$ to Courtney was Allison's. (via another COTHer) :)

And it HAS become a group effort. My contribution was only the beginning. :)

I passed on this information to the COTH "Jingles for Courtney" thread so that others (who may not visit the Eventing forum) would know how great it is that ALL horsemen/women are supporting Courtney. I managed, however, to confuse some because I couldn't figure out how to copy your original post as a quote and add it to the dressage thread :no: I did clarify that it was you, Deltawave, that started all this! Kudos!!

subk
Apr. 28, 2010, 05:24 PM
My dear friend, I sincerely hope that your top hat's value has plummeted beyond recovery recently. :) Might be a great prop for a stage show or something. . . ;)
I've been using mine as a Halloween costume accessory.

deltawave gets props at EventingNation:

http://eventingnation.com/home/2010/04/hats-off-to-allison.html#commentshttp://eventingnation.com/home/2010/04/hats-off-to-allison.html#comments

BuddyRoo
Apr. 28, 2010, 05:57 PM
DW, you are just too freaking cool.

And AS? Class act.

Well played. You do the right thing. Then you do another right thing. You just won a fan for life.

At Rolex next year, I might even show up for dressage just to cheer her on. :)

deltawave
Apr. 28, 2010, 06:00 PM
O.M.G. I'm on EventingNation! :D What a hoot. Especially since I knew John Thier when he was like 10 years old and beating the pants off the BN crowd in Michigan with his little crazy spotted pony and I got a chance to meet him at Rolex and he's like 6 foot 4! :eek: Dang, I feel old . . .

Ajierene
Apr. 28, 2010, 06:07 PM
It is great to see the top competitors finally treating Eventing like a real sport and wearing safety gear. It is also great that Alison not only wore the helmet despite probably tradition peer pressure, but she also thought first to donate the money.

Hopefully this marks a turning point and more people will start wearing helmets in dressage phase of eventing.

LexInVA
Apr. 28, 2010, 06:10 PM
Perhaps a rule could be passed or someone could make a top helmet to replace the use of top hats. The latter wouldn't be hard to do.

Fred
Apr. 29, 2010, 01:55 PM
That is amazing. She is amazing. YOU are amazing! Go all of you!

Agreed.
You are both Class Acts, all the way.