PDA

View Full Version : Chicago Eventing Trainers

jasbear
Apr. 27, 2010, 10:53 AM
Does anyone have recommendations of eventing trainers around Chicago? I am looking to move to the Chicago area and would be living in the city (Lincoln Park area). I don't have a horse, and travel part of every week for work which complicates matters slightly. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

rennyben
Apr. 27, 2010, 11:30 AM
hey! Welcome to Chitown!

It's hard to say without knowing what level you ride and what your background is, but we have a fun group of people associated with Mill Creek Hunt (North of the city). Brenda Yost is the trainer and barn manager. She takes a group of kids and adults to shows and horse trials to compete on her school horses or their own horses. It would be about an hour from Lincoln Park though. But honestly, I don't know of anything closer in. There are barns west of the city but probably an hour out as well. Just about everything is an hour away at least.

PM me if you'd like or have any other questions about Chicago or riding with Mill Creek - btw Come hunting with us this fall!!! I know there are others on this forum in Chicagoland so hopefully you'll get lots of good info.

Don't forget to pack your ankle length down winter coat! :)

spaceagevalkyrie
Apr. 27, 2010, 03:46 PM
Don't forget to pack your ankle length down winter coat! :)

And earmuffs, and large thick gloves, and those toe warmer things, and a large fluffy blanket. And don't forget the snow shovel. :lol:

hallebop
Apr. 27, 2010, 10:12 PM
I am rather new to eventing, however have been into horses for 44 years in this area. I would recommend you look at joining the Illinois Dressage and Combined Training Association as one way to find contacts. There are people around Chicagoland and they too are about 1 hour out. In Kane County there is another hunt - Wayne Dupage. Good luck. :)

GallopGal
Apr. 27, 2010, 11:10 PM
Kenny dierks does clinics at egale lake equestrian center. South suburbs. Pm me for more info.

jasbear
Apr. 28, 2010, 08:47 AM
Thanks so much for the replies. I grew up in Milwaukee so the weather doesn't scare me but not being able to ride does!