PDA

View Full Version : argh back to the paddock boot drawing board

Mayaty02
Apr. 27, 2010, 08:39 AM
It should not be THIS hard to find a pair of good paddock boots that don't kill my feet for under $150!

I posted a few weeks ago about needing a pair to suit my horrible feet....extremely high but fallen arches and plantar fasciitis (sp?). I was desparately seeking Dansko boots that i thought would work for me, finally found them on ebay and turns out they KILL my feet. I have a lesson today and I can't even bring myself to put them on.

I have a pair of older Ariat Heritage zip ups which kill me after wearing them for 2 hours, god forbid i have to walk out to the other end of the field to get my horse.

SO. I have tried all the Ariat boots in the store, other than the Monacos, and the only ones that really felt comfy were the new Quantums which eveyrone seems to think is poor quality.

Folks on here recommended Blundstones, but I don't love how thick the sole is and I haven't tried them so don't know what size would work for me if I had to order them. I may be able to try a pair on today if they have them at the store I'll be visiting.

Does anyone have any other suggestions for under $150?

HELP!

HiddenAcres
Apr. 27, 2010, 08:57 AM
Do you have to ride in boots? I know there are good reasons to ride in boots, but sometimes it's not worth the energy expended to try and make it work. I love the look of paddock boots, but can't find any that don't kill my feet to the point of being distracting. I ride in sneakers, just like I did as a child in the summer (1960s - no safety police). If I'm somewhere with the "shoes must have heels" rule, loafers. I would try some of the round toe Roper type boots if I was riding babies or 5 a day and boots really were a necessity. Go to a western store and try lots on.

I was hoping you would find something "traditional" that I could then try. Keep us posted.

mroades
Apr. 27, 2010, 09:04 AM
I can only wear Grand Prix. Ariats KILL my feet.

Mayaty02
Apr. 27, 2010, 09:05 AM
I am a bit of a traditionalist which is why I don't even like the look of Blundstones. Thanks for the suggestion though! I did just buy a pair of Ariat Cobalt Devon Pros on Dover but they are backordered for a few weeks so i still have time to try to find if there is anything better....keep the suggestions coming!

Mayaty02
Apr. 27, 2010, 09:05 AM

the acquasports?

fordtraktor
Apr. 27, 2010, 09:13 AM
I like to be a traditionalist but can't wear the things to save my life. They all blister my feet, which are bony and knobby, apparently.

On a whim I ordered a pair of the Ariat "paddock shoes" in black (forget what they are called). They actually don't look bad and wow, are they ever comfortable. I can and do wear them all day, to the barn, around town, etc. I love them and will not go back to the pretty, miserable ones.

ETA: They are the "ariat terrains".

Madaketmomma
Apr. 27, 2010, 09:51 AM
Just a quick suggestion. When I first got my Ariats they killed my feet too! Then I went out and bought a gel insert and now I could seriously wear them 24 hours a day and be fine. Talk about one extreme to the other. Worth trying for sure.

pinkme
Apr. 27, 2010, 10:20 AM
Have you tried the airat terrian? They do not look traditional per say, but they come in all the traditional paddock boot colors. Seriously, they have alot of give where needed, and support in the foot bed. The also come in a zip version. Paired with half chaps, they do not scream wtheck are you wearing. Plus, they are comfy for barn work, and all sorts of non-horsey activities.

Mayaty02
Apr. 27, 2010, 10:22 AM
they look interesting, I'm worried about them being too wide and uncomfortable in the stirrup, no?? I may have to give em a try.

pinkme
Apr. 27, 2010, 10:54 AM
Nope not too wide in the stirrup at all, they arnt quite as bulky as in the picture. The only diffrence I notice, in the saddle, is that my toes have wiggle room. They sell them as some western places and Tractor Supply, if there is one in your area.

NorthFaceFarm
Apr. 27, 2010, 11:05 AM
I wear the GP Aquasports w/a dr sholl's insert up to 12 hours a day with no problem, and I have truly bizarre feet.

I bought mine in zip up form about a year and a half ago, to replace a previous pair of lace up GP's that had served me well for 9 years. I do think the lace ups provided more support for my horrible ankles. I went a size bigger with the zip ups to accommodate the inserts, so they are a little gappy in the ankle area. Laces always break, untie or get disgusting though...so its an annoying trade off.

butkrustag
Apr. 27, 2010, 11:47 AM
Maybe your best bet, at least for today, is to wear running shoes (or whichever type shoes have the support you need) up to the point it is time to mount. Then switch to your paddock boots while riding only.

I've also had plantar fasciitis issues. Blunnies with inserts work best for me. I can spend 8-10 hours a day working in the barn without issues. After a long day in Ariats I felt crippled. Sizing - I find they are wide which takes getting used to if you have skinny feet (or it did me), but lengthwise I think they run true to size.

HenryisBlaisin'
Apr. 27, 2010, 12:41 PM
I have the weirdest shaped feet in history, and I find Mountain Horse paddock boots to be the most comfortable, and they last about forever, too. They run maybe a tiny bit big, but are pretty true to size and very easy to lace!

touchstone-
Apr. 27, 2010, 12:45 PM
I did just buy a pair of Ariat Cobalt Devon Pros on Dover

These work great for my arched-but-collapsed feet. One of the only pairs of shoes I own that I can wear all day and be comfortable without adding an arch support.

Chouteau
Apr. 27, 2010, 12:50 PM
I wasted all kinds of money trying to find a cheaper pair I was happy with - would have spent less in the end if I had just bought the one pair of Dehners I now love (I have three other pair at home I can't stand :))

Mel0309
Apr. 27, 2010, 03:19 PM
You should try Mountain Horse. The ones I carry are the Celine and retail at $109.99 - I sell a lot of these to people who don't like the Ariat either because of comfort or because the Ariat doesn't hold up well. The Mountain Horse hold up very well.

SLNELSON25
May. 1, 2010, 01:54 PM
I have weird feet, not necessarily like yours, but weird. I had a pair of like 15yr old ariats I liked well enough, but they ran a little narrow, and over this past winter, came to the end of their life.

While in the tack shop, I tried on a pair of ariat cobalt xr, black, zip up...20% off was the kicker. I've had them about a month, and they are roomier and way more comfy than the old ones.

FWIW I always fuss about my feet hurting, and have been pleasantly surprised with these. I also don't spend my whole day in them, just the few hours I'm at the barn.

I tried the ariat terrains a couple times and they just didn't fit me right, and I love a "hiker" type shoe!

Good luck

Go Fish
May. 1, 2010, 02:07 PM

I love Grand Prixs but can no longer recommend them. The quality of the boots has significantly gone down hill. And for what you have to pay for them, they are definately not worth the price. Bummer because they used to be the nicest boots in town.

x
May. 1, 2010, 03:02 PM
I second Mountain Horse.

wildlifer
May. 1, 2010, 10:34 PM
Dublin or Mountain Horse -- both good quality, the Dublins are pretty affordable and very comfy.

citydog
May. 1, 2010, 10:44 PM
Blundstones with an insert for plantar fasciitis. :yes:

There are different models and soles. The Blundstone 500 & 510 models are stirrup friendly (http://www.zappos.com/blundstone-bl510-black?zlfid=111) and the 062, 063, and 064 models are stirrup-friendly and more refined. They are actually Blundstone's equestrian model. http://www.zappos.com/blundstone-bl063-black.

The conversions on Zappos (the drop down size menu) are pretty accurate, maybe a smidge generous.