PDA

View Full Version : a case of mistaken identity... again

*Liz*
Apr. 26, 2010, 07:41 PM
Please tell me I'm not the only one who gets asked all the time when wearing breeches to non-horse venues (gas station, grocery store, etc.) if I am a dancer?

I never have boots on outside the barn, just ugly mudruckers, so that clue is missing in my case, and I do usually wear black breeches, but really - who's ever seen a ballerina in a sweaty ball cap, muddy shoes, and usually a dirt/slobber splattered shirt? :lol:

AliCat518
Apr. 26, 2010, 07:49 PM
Haha, this has never happened to me, but usually if im wearing breeches, ive got my field boots on too! Generally, Im in FILTHY jeans/t shirt, and either my paddock boots or grungy tennis shoes. I get a ton of stares when I go to class dressed like this(which is everyday!) Im sure my "barn smell" doesnt help any either! lol

SarahandSam
Apr. 26, 2010, 07:58 PM
I get asked if I'm a jockey, usually by old men at the grocery store. But I'm also 4'10". (:

Void
Apr. 26, 2010, 08:06 PM
Softball player... I'm guessing its the socks?

ontarget
Apr. 26, 2010, 08:07 PM
I got asked once if I was a police woman!

twotrudoc
Apr. 26, 2010, 08:09 PM
I'm too fat to be mistaken for a ballerina in any get up. In breeches and boots I often get mistaken for an almost 40 year old slightly fat in the britches gal with dirty finger nails. Which is not a mistake.

alliekat
Apr. 26, 2010, 08:53 PM
I had someone ask me where I got my "cool boots" at the gas station. They weren't even tall boots, but my paddock boots with half chaps. wearing with my jeans. I laughed and when I explained what they were they said "I'd still wear them to the club" My mom and I had a good laugh.

Go Fish
Apr. 26, 2010, 09:15 PM
I've been asked several times if I'm a jockey...

Right....I'm 5'10".

BigEq
Apr. 26, 2010, 09:23 PM
I had someone ask me if I rode a Vespa :lol:

lesyl
Apr. 26, 2010, 09:26 PM
I had someone ask me if I rode a Vespa :lol:
slightly off topic - I think Vespa could be a good show name for a pony.

ohrebecca
Apr. 26, 2010, 09:38 PM
I've actually had a shocking number of people know that I was headed to/from the barn, in odd places (Detroit proper, for instance).

indygirl2560
Apr. 26, 2010, 10:07 PM
That's funny. I've gotten some odd stares at grocery stores before, but everyone I've talked to out and around knew I was going to or came from the barn.

SkipChange
Apr. 26, 2010, 10:09 PM
Nope, they know that I ride. The guy at the on-campus store tends to hit on me when I wear my breeches. He suggested I buy some Corn Pops to feed my horse.

jaslyn1701
Apr. 27, 2010, 06:41 AM
I normally hit the grocery store on the way home from the barn on Sundays - breeches and tall boots. Most of the employees know where I have been and ask about my horse. I love the total strangers that look me up and down and then ask, "Do you ride?" Uh, no, I am a dominatrix - can I make you an appointment????????

NorthFaceFarm
Apr. 27, 2010, 07:22 AM
My field boots get a lot of envious stares in winter when riding style boots are "in". Fashion brands can never make anything that looks as good as a real custom field boot.

sunnsideup
Apr. 27, 2010, 08:46 AM
Our Barn goes out to dinner after shows if its not to late at night, we frequently go to some nicer places even though we are all gruby and grody. Of course the riders never change clother. So our waitress thought our outfits were just the most amazing style she had ever seen. This is the conversation we had with her.
Waitress: WOW I love our outfits! Where did you get those pants and boots? They are SOO unique!! Are you guys like a dance group or something??

US: Thanks we like them too. We got them from the tack store, but you can also order them online or from a magazine. And no we dont dance. We ride.

W: Cool, Are they expensive, They look expensive, they must be some rare brand that many people don't know of because I've never seen this outfit before, its just so cool i can't get over it. Is this website hard to find? Whats it called? I bet you had to import from another country? So you ride motorcycles?

Us: Ya, they can be pretty expensive depending on the brand you get. No this is not rare stuff. One of the good websites is Dover. No its not imported from some other country. No we ride horses and like jump things, like jumps taht are in an arena...

W: Ohhh. Thats soo neat!!. I'll have to look into that, I would love to wear this to school or the clubs, I bet I would look great in it.

Us: we think you would too... I would like a water and she wants a coke....please.:lol:

bascher
Apr. 27, 2010, 09:12 AM
I was at a horse show and we had gone into town to shop a little bit. We were in a shoe store and I was wearing my worn down, scuffed up, etc paddock boots. A lady came over to me and said she really liked my boots and asked me how I made them look so authentic :lol:

SmartAlex
Apr. 27, 2010, 09:21 AM
I've never been mistaken for a dancer... the cellulite gives me away. Note to self: Must buy darker breeches.... maybe plaid. :D

taita
Apr. 27, 2010, 09:24 AM
slightly off topic - I think Vespa could be a good show name for a pony.

There is already a very successful adult hunter/big eq horse in Canada who shows under Vespa. The family who owns him is associated with the company.

nlk
Apr. 27, 2010, 09:37 AM
I've actually had a shocking number of people know that I was headed to/from the barn, in odd places (Detroit proper, for instance).

Since I live in MI I find that very odd! Especially the Detroit area! Where do you keep your horses?

On another note I have been asked numerous things. The best though when I was younger my older brother picked me up and we had to stop at the pet shop on the way home. While he was getting crickets (lizard!) Some guy HE went to school with came up and started asking questions (totally hitting on my 15 yr old self it was great:lol:) My brother came up said " yeah she rides you have a problem with it" Grabbed me and almost RAN out of the store! On the way home he told me he was never taking me any where in riding pants again!

Phaxxton
Apr. 27, 2010, 09:42 AM
Softball player... I'm guessing its the socks?

I have gotten this, too, but I was still wearing my half chaps. :lol:

Several years ago, I got in a little fender bender on the way home from the barn. The guy who hit me asked, "So what are you a softball player or something?" :lol::lol: Um, no.

RomeosGirl
Apr. 27, 2010, 09:44 AM
I got asked if I was a runner while in the grocery store. Someone thought my schooling tights were really cool.

tarheelmd07
Apr. 27, 2010, 10:37 AM
I was at a gas station - in a small rural town that has lots of horses - wearing my breeches (but no boots), and someone came up to me to ask if I was a scuba diver?!?!?

I've had several people comment on my breeches (well tights, actually) when wearing the kerrits performance tights - the ones with the black and some other color houndstooth
http://www.adamshorsesupply.com/browse.cfm/4,6534.html
and ask where they could buy those pants to wear for going out?!?!

I was at a horse show and we had gone into town to shop a little bit. We were in a shoe store and I was wearing my worn down, scuffed up, etc paddock boots. A lady came over to me and said she really liked my boots and asked me how I made them look so authentic :lol:

I had someone ask me something similar in the elevator in my apartment building (when I was living in downtown baltimore) - I was wearing my beat to hell paddock boots and someone said they'd seen boots like that in the sundance catalogue...and how did I get mine to look so broken in. She seemed confused that I actually wore my boots to an actual barn...riding 2-4 horses daily and tromping around in all weather will give your boots that authentic look for sure :)

SharonA
Apr. 27, 2010, 11:04 AM
Well, I think it is worse when you yourself think there is a big difference between your barn appearance and your non-barn-appearance, but other people think you always look the same. :-)

Last week I went shopping at a fairly high-end clothing store (didn't have time to change/make a special trip, and the store is on the way to the barn) wearing the full barn frump -- grubby paddock boots, slobbered T-shirt, dried haystretcher mush wiped across face, hair in snarly half-bun half-ponytail. I figure if a store wants my money, they can deal. Anyway, the sales staff was perfectly lovely, I managed to not wipe slobber onto any immaculate displays, etc. All good. A few days later I went in to return something, this time with my hair coiffed and my face in order, wearing a quite stylish (non-equestrian) actual outfit complete with heels and accessories, etc. And the sales people recognized me immediately! I was kind of insulted, as I thought I looked unrecognizably better when not in barn mode, but apparently not. :-)

rideforthelaurels16
Apr. 27, 2010, 01:38 PM
Someone in the grocery store yesterday asked me if I'd fallen off. Nope, just dirty. :)

SmartAlex
Apr. 27, 2010, 03:38 PM
Someone in the grocery store yesterday asked me if I'd fallen off. Nope, just dirty. :)

Oh that SUCKS! :D

Right now I go around looking like Pig Pen from the Peanuts... shedding season ya know.

sirensong4
Apr. 28, 2010, 02:41 PM
The only time people seem to notice my breeches is when i am wearing them for non-horse activities. Yeah, i know, but there is NO long john as good for under ski gear/hunting clothes as a fleece-lined breech!!

GoodAsGold
Apr. 28, 2010, 05:29 PM
On Halloween, I wore my entire show getup to the school I teach at. Several of the students asked me if I was supposed to be Sarah Palin.

I'm still confused, several months later.

Hunter Mom
Apr. 28, 2010, 06:09 PM
I'm too fat to be mistaken for a ballerina in any get up. In breeches and boots I often get mistaken for an almost 40 year old slightly fat in the britches gal with dirty finger nails. Which is not a mistake.

Maybe we're twins :)

bits619
Apr. 28, 2010, 11:19 PM
I love the total strangers that look me up and down and then ask, "Do you ride?" Uh, no, I am a dominatrix - can I make you an appointment????????

baahahahaha! Yes, i have often felt that people wonder the same. It helps if you carry your bat and give them a jolly thwack on the butt as you walk away :)

jump4me
Apr. 29, 2010, 11:12 AM
Well, I think it is worse when you yourself think there is a big difference between your barn appearance and your non-barn-appearance, but other people think you always look the same. :-)

:lol::lol::lol::lol:
same here.
:cool:

RugBug
Apr. 29, 2010, 01:08 PM
Please tell me I'm not the only one who gets asked all the time when wearing breeches to non-horse venues (gas station, grocery store, etc.) if I am a dancer?

:lol: I've never had that. Maybe because I'm not built like a dancer? :lol:

A cop pulled me over the other night (expired tags - new ones were in the car...thank God) and while I was getting my license, he asked me where I had been riding. It kind of weirded me out after the fact because while I was wearing breeches, they were fawn colored with fawn colored knee patches the blend in. The just looked like tight-ish brown pants. He must have a family member that rides or he was looking a little too hard at my pants. :lol:

hntrjmprpro45
Apr. 29, 2010, 03:31 PM
I noticed a guy do a double take at the grocery store, then stare oddly for a minute. I was wearing breeches with tennis shoes (I only wear my tall boots when I am riding- my joints can't take walking around in them all day) and a polo shirt. A little while later the guy came over and said "From a distance it looked like you weren't wearing any pants. What are those for?"

Seriously, I looked like I wasn't wearing pants in a grocery store??? I know they are beige but come on! They were even a relaxed fit, front zip pair made from a fairly thick material.

I have also had people ask if I was a softball player or dancer (I am very tall and thin). I guess at least those aren't insulting!

sirensong4
Apr. 29, 2010, 07:01 PM
Slightly OT--

I had a friend describe for me how, a few years back, she went to a Halloween party where everyone was supposed to dress as someone else's (hypothetical) unrealized fantasy. College, English majors. Anyways, she went as "Naughty Equestrienne" and wore her tall boots, BIGGEST spurs, breeches, dressage coat with NOTHING underneath it, rakishly angled derby, and tons of eyeliner. Oh, and a big crop.
I think she was a big hit! :eek: And i don't think anyone had any question about what she was. ;)

ohrebecca
May. 3, 2010, 01:09 PM
Since I live in MI I find that very odd! Especially the Detroit area! Where do you keep your horses?

My horse is in South Lyon right now, I live in Hazel Park off 8 mile, and when 696 was all construction-y, I used to take 8 Mile all the way down there - coming back/forth and stopping at gas stations people actually realized I was a rider! And someone at a 7-11 in Ferndale told her daughter "See, she's already been to the barn and back this morning!" (I had to correct her and tell her that I was in fact lazy and only just on my way out to the barn).

Nancy!
May. 3, 2010, 03:18 PM
I had to run and get propane for the trailer with my breeches on the other day. The guy said to me, I thought you'd have your red serge on.:winkgrin: Yes, us Mounties always drive around just for fun. I guess he saw my boots get out of the truck first.

We had a bbq after cross country schooling at my place yesterday and one boyfriend thought it was a great party since we were all wearing our breeches. He must have had too much to drink as he thought even I looked good and I'm definitely not skinny or young. :lol:

Nancy!

CR Gorge Girl
May. 3, 2010, 05:35 PM
I stopped into Subway after a dressage clinic on saturday, and the place was packed. Great. more stares. (black breeches, tall boots, polo shirt, and my too-big-and-dirty barn jacket). The guy behind me in line actually asked me "Where is your horse?" !! I was surprised, he actually knew they were riding clothes!

Dooner
May. 3, 2010, 06:17 PM
I experienced the opposite recently--saw a relatively professional-looking woman walk past me on a commuter bus with "street" jeans tucked in to slightly-grimy Ariat field boots.

I thought it looked ridiculous, the average person may not have.

RugBug
May. 3, 2010, 06:35 PM
I experienced the opposite recently--saw a relatively professional-looking woman walk past me on a commuter bus with "street" jeans tucked in to slightly-grimy Ariat field boots.

I thought it looked ridiculous, the average person may not have.

If they were slightly grimy and Ariats, I doubt she was a non-rider. Maybe she rides the bus to where she rides? (Although I never understand how someone can tuck jeans into boots...my boots are too tight for that.)

Dooner
May. 3, 2010, 06:50 PM
If they were slightly grimy and Ariats, I doubt she was a non-rider. Maybe she rides the bus to where she rides? (Although I never understand how someone can tuck jeans into boots...my boots are too tight for that.)

Sorry, trying to say that she almost definatily was/is a rider, but that a non-rider (i.e. the other passengers besides me) might not have noticed.

She was headed into the city, so the barn wasn't her immediate destination. She really just struck me as someone headed to work dressed for a casual Friday. I think she also had a blouse and some sort of blazer on.

The tucked-in jeans part was what made me look twice. Clean boots worn with a skirt or under slacks would not lead me to judge.

ontarget
May. 3, 2010, 07:05 PM
The only time people seem to notice my breeches is when i am wearing them for non-horse activities. Yeah, i know, but there is NO long john as good for under ski gear/hunting clothes as a fleece-lined breech!!

I do this too! This last winter, I got the Mountain Horse winter pants, and they were so warm I would go to the barn and then straight to the ski slopes! They were perfect!

applelover
May. 4, 2010, 12:41 AM
I used to wear my Ariats with jeans -- clean boots, not jeans tucked in -- around town, and got lots of compliments.

My stepmother told me how in the 1970s, after riding at Madison Square Garden, she and some friends went out to Studio 51 in their riding habits and got in!!! The bouncers were impressed, apparently :)

three_dayer
May. 4, 2010, 01:59 AM
I was looking at the dover catalog at work one day and one of the ladies that I work with noticed that I was looking at the catalog and said oh good, I need to order a new pair of tall boots. I thought that was kind of weird cause she never mentioned before that she rode, and I asked her about that and she said, oh no, i wear them under skirts...what the fruitbat? who would like to wear tall boots longer than needed? that was a bit weird.
Another time, i was on my way to work, running late of course because of a lesson, and I was wearing some beige breeches and high boots with a coat that hit mid thigh. One of my coworkers asked where were my pants...that was just a bit creepy(he always gave me the creeps)...