PDA

View Full Version : WEG team: who would you choose

TXnGA
Apr. 26, 2010, 07:21 PM
Just curious, perhaps because Rolex just finished, who do COTHers think are going to be on the WEG team... Can't help it, ready for another trip to Lexington...:winkgrin:

bornfreenowexpensive
Apr. 26, 2010, 07:27 PM
Phillip, Buck, Boyd and Amy

SevenDogs
Apr. 26, 2010, 08:17 PM
How many slots are there? Four?

Sharon
Apr. 26, 2010, 08:23 PM
Do we get extra spots because we are hosting the WEG?

VicariousRider
Apr. 26, 2010, 08:23 PM
Phillip (Connought or Woodburn)
Boyd (Neville)
Buck (My Boy Bobby)
Becky (Comet)

Alternates:
Amy & Leyland (if her knee is ok)
Karen & Mandiba (but she can't have x-c time like she did at Rolex)

tx3dayeventer
Apr. 26, 2010, 08:32 PM
Buck
Boyd
Phillip
Karen

Alt:
Becky
Will (his horse is green but he rode well)

retreadeventer
Apr. 26, 2010, 08:35 PM
Phillip, Buck, Boyd, Becky, Karen, Amy in that order I think. But you know between now and then the bubblewrap for those horses is going to be massive!

Foxhall
Apr. 26, 2010, 08:49 PM
Phillip (Woodburn) Buck (My Boy Bobby) Will C (Twizzel) Amy (Leyland)

Alt:
Karen
Becky

3phase
Apr. 26, 2010, 09:05 PM
What about Individuals?

gully's pilot
Apr. 26, 2010, 09:07 PM
Karen had time because she lost a hind shoe....

*JumpIt*
Apr. 26, 2010, 09:08 PM
Karen & Mandiba (but she can't have x-c time like she did at Rolex)

I doubt she would have had such a poor time if it weren't for Mandiba pulling a shoe(s?).

TxEventer81
Apr. 26, 2010, 09:20 PM
Phillip
Boyd
Buck
Becky

Alternates:
Karen
One of the Wills - probably WC if he does well Luhmulen

Also just curious why Amy? Her results from the USEA indicate (at face value so take fwiw) that her outings haven't been very good on either horse at the ULs since early last summer. But, I'm not so knowledgeable so I'm curious what everyone is seeing?

bornfreenowexpensive
Apr. 26, 2010, 09:30 PM
Also just curious why Amy? Her results from the USEA indicate (at face value so take fwiw) that her outings haven't been very good on either horse at the ULs since early last summer. But, I'm not so knowledgeable so I'm curious what everyone is seeing?

Leyland is a very nice horse....they were 14th at Burghley last year. He looked rock soild from what I saw at Southern Pines with Steven Bradley riding and I understand looked good at the Fork. Amy is a competitor...she can handle the pressure and deliver three solid phases...for the team, they don't need to win but just do well and be competitive.

Some other combinations out there are nicer (Becky...maybe Karen) but have been much less consistent in the big events. Picking a team....I went for the rider/horse combinations who I thought could all get in the top 15.

rideforthelaurels16
Apr. 26, 2010, 09:45 PM
I would like to see WC on the WEG team, but I'd like to see how he does at Luhmuhlen before I root for him 100%. I'm also quite interested in who will end up representing the UK - they've got a lot of talent there right now. I'd love to see Mary at the WEG.

TxEventer81
Apr. 26, 2010, 09:50 PM
Leyland is a very nice horse....they were 14th at Burghley last year. He looked rock soild from what I saw at Southern Pines with Steven Bradley riding and I understand looked good at the Fork. Amy is a competitor...she can handle the pressure and deliver three solid phases...for the team, they don't need to win but just do well and be competitive.

Some other combinations out there are nicer (Becky...maybe Karen) but have been much less consistent in the big events. Picking a team....I went for the rider/horse combinations who I thought could all get in the top 15.

I completely agree that Leyland is lovely. I just felt that as a pair they've seemed, at least to me, to be more inconsistent. I just kept seeing quite a bit of time on xc (not counting shows early in the season), R, and W sprinkled throughout the last year. Coal Creek seemed more of a contender to me.

I glanced over her ride at Burghley. Thanks for pointing it out.

mcw
Apr. 26, 2010, 10:31 PM
Phillip (Connaught)
Boyd (Neville)
Buck (Reggie)
Amy (Leyland)

Alternates:
Will C (Twizzle)
Will F (Pawlow)

VicariousRider
Apr. 26, 2010, 10:43 PM
I doubt she would have had such a poor time if it weren't for Mandiba pulling a shoe(s?).

I agree. That's why I picked her. :)

Going by his performances at Fair Hill in the fall (where he was 2nd) and this Rolex, I would say he's really stepping up to the plate. However, they had a tough time in Hong Kong and were E England. He's certainly shown GREAT improvement, IMO, though. And Karen is phenomenal!

I agree that Becky and Comet are a little inconsistent at big events, but at Kentucky they were 2nd in '08 (ran 5th at Jersey and 1st at Maui Jim in '09) and were 3rd there this year. Looks like the horse likes Kentucky and he is obviously really familiar with the venue!

bosox
Apr. 27, 2010, 07:40 AM
Going by his performances at Fair Hill in the fall (where he was 2nd)

The record books will forever reflect 2nd at CCI *** but Fair Hill was not Fair Hill this year. This has been said many times on this board since 2009.

This horse has a lot of attention but is it b/c of his rider? IMHO-yes.

Shrunk "N" Da Wash
Apr. 27, 2010, 09:01 AM
Boyd
Will C
Phillip
Buck

hearthorse
Apr. 27, 2010, 09:05 AM
Phillip
Boyd
Buck
Will C

Alt.
Will F

bambam
Apr. 27, 2010, 09:28 AM
Phillip
Boyd
Buck
Karen

Alt.
Amy- if her knee has healed
Will C if he does well at Luhmulen (sp?)

Phaxxton
Apr. 27, 2010, 11:24 AM
Phillip
Boyd
Buck
Karen

Alt.
Will F.
Becky

PhoenixFarm
Apr. 27, 2010, 12:32 PM
I agree the first three will be Phillip, Boyd, and Buck.

After that I think it's between Amy, Karen, and Becky. I think Amy healthy is their first choice, but hard to know if they'll get her healthy, and I don't think they'll take her unhealthy. After that you have a tie between Karen and Becky. You have a rider who consistently delivers on an inconsistent horse, and a super star horse with strong, but greener rider.

I'm surprised at all the votes for the Wills? Great riders and good horses, but I would have said this was a year too early for both pairs? Could be wrong though, it"s happened before, LOL.

Of course, the biggest selector of all is soundess, and as we all know she's a real b!tch.

NeverTime
Apr. 27, 2010, 04:16 PM
From Eventing Nation blog (http://www.eventingnation.com/home/):

Woodburn, The Foreman, Neville Bardos, Comet, Pawlow, Mandiba and Remington asked to jog for selectors on Monday.

I'm a bit surprised that Remington and Pawlow are on that list, but hey, good for them. Clearly the team likes Boyd's riding and the fact that he's got a small string of 4* horses, even if they aren't the same quality as Phillip's string.

asterix
Apr. 27, 2010, 04:23 PM
Well, I thought Pawlow looked positively bug-eyed all the way around the xc course. I wouldn't be putting him on a WEG team this year.

Hilary
Apr. 27, 2010, 05:58 PM
This isn't very american of me, but if Cool Mountain was William FP's "green" horse will he have his own team at the WEG?

I was crushed when Arthur had his stop and about Kim's stadium.

So: Phillip
Boyd
Buck
Karen

Unless they bump Boyd for Amy.

Pre-Rolex I wanted Alison and Kim.

rideforthelaurels16
Apr. 27, 2010, 07:43 PM
I'd still like to see Allison there - Rolex wasn't her weekend, but she's a consistently lovely rider and when she and Arthur are good, they're GREAT.