PDA

View Full Version : Talented college student going to show my horse for me

Lizrd
Apr. 26, 2010, 07:02 PM
Hello everyone,

I am the proud owner of a green OTTB and I know my limitations as a 4x/week adult rider. I have a friend who is a very talented college student. She lives a bit away from us so whenever she is in town we set something up with my trainer to have her school my guy under saddle and over fences. I have been giving her $20 for each riding session - she's a broke college kid and I know that her time in the saddle is helping my guy in ways that I can't. There is no one else in my barn who would be of assistance to me in this capacity.

So, my trainer and I want her to show him outside once before I start my season with him on our local C circuit. She will school him at a B-rated show on Th. and show him in about 7 O/F and 3 U/S classes. I will pay all hauling, show fees, etc.

How much is fair to pay her for Th and Friday services? She is the type of kid who LOVES to show but she IS driving 2 hours to come back home for this and she is requesting off from her waitressing job those 2 nights. Advice please? I don't want to over pay nor do I want to be cheap! :)

Aerial
Apr. 26, 2010, 09:18 PM
Compensate her for gas and maybe an extra $50 as a thank-you. Alternatively, ask her what she thinks is fair.

Tha Ridge
Apr. 26, 2010, 09:34 PM
Yes, definitely compensate for gas. Also, maybe cover what she would've made at her waitressing job (I imagine it wouldn't be too much) and then a nice, small little token gift.

But I also agree with Aerial's suggestion of asking her. As a once-broke (okay, still broke) college kid, there were some weeks where I'd have died for a grocery store gift card or something like that. :yes:

RockinHorse
Apr. 27, 2010, 06:28 AM
Since she is acting as a professional, treat her like one. Ask her what her rate is for showing the horse.

findeight
Apr. 27, 2010, 11:30 AM
Schooling plus 10 classes over 3 days? Missing 2 nights work? Gas?

Although she has the advantage of you paying all costs, you have been paying her $20 a ride at home...that's 200 at that rate.

I think you need to have a chat here and establish expectations. She MAY assume she is getting paid her usual rate. Better find out now then later to avoid her feeling she got shafted and end up short of funds she was counting on.

If she says she expects nothing? I'd give her a $100 card for Wally World or something of that value-that's 10 a class plus some travel expense. Maybe a little more. Not less though with a 2 hour drive and missing work.

Pro rides are $50 to 100 per class just for comparison-and owner pays everything. She sounds like a bargain.

Lizrd
Apr. 27, 2010, 10:47 PM
Hi Everyone,

THANK YOU so much for the replies. I had no idea where to even start so I appreciate the ideas. I also didn't know that pro rides were so much - yikes! I am getting a great deal. It is a good suggestion to establish expectations on both sides of the horse. I think I will suggest $10/class + extra money for schooling. My favorite question in these sorts of situations is, "Do you think that is fair?" which allows the other person the opportunity to speak up. I think if she walks away with over $100 she will be happy and feel like it was worth it to come down. A friend suggested that I offer a $10 incentive for every blue ribbon, too. ;)

meupatdoes
Apr. 27, 2010, 11:41 PM
Schooling plus 10 classes over 3 days? Missing 2 nights work? Gas?

Although she has the advantage of you paying all costs, you have been paying her $20 a ride at home...that's 200 at that rate.

I think you need to have a chat here and establish expectations. She MAY assume she is getting paid her usual rate. Better find out now then later to avoid her feeling she got shafted and end up short of funds she was counting on.

If she says she expects nothing? I'd give her a $100 card for Wally World or something of that value-that's 10 a class plus some travel expense. Maybe a little more. Not less though with a 2 hour drive and missing work.

Pro rides are $50 to 100 per class just for comparison-and owner pays everything. She sounds like a bargain.

I don't necessarily think that she is automatically going to equate 3 minutes in the ring as the same "ride" as a full on 40 minute schooling ride at home.

Yes, A LOT of pros do it, but personally I have always found it a little ridiculous. I have also met plenty of pros who charge a flat showing fee, or even don't charge ANY extra for show rides if the client is already on training board at home. Not everyone nickels and dimes.

REH
Apr. 28, 2010, 09:55 AM
just remember she can't show the horse in anything with "amateur" in the class specifications. ;)

findeight
Apr. 28, 2010, 11:43 AM
What an individual pro may or may not do regarding show rides is really not a guide for this situation. I merely mentioned it because OP has been paying this rider per ride at home and may have created expectations on the rider's side. That could create a storm if she is expecting something for riding at the show and gives up time, gas and 2 nights tips to ride for OP.

I don't think 100 is out of line at all. heck, I'd ante up a little if you are pleased with the rides.

Sounds like a gem of a situation on both sides, a win/win.