PDA

View Full Version : Can You Body Clip A Pony With Wahl Moser Arco Clippers?

EAY
Apr. 26, 2010, 07:29 PM
I cross-posted this in Horse Care but thought I might get a better response here.

Would it be possible to body clip a medium pony with Wahl Moser Arco clippers? He's fairly well shed out at this point but just needs a little help and I don't have any body clippers. Is this feasible? I don't want to get half-way through the job and then find that it's not working.

kealea31
Apr. 26, 2010, 07:38 PM
It would probably take you forever and burn up atleast 2 pairs of blades. You could hire someone to clip him, or if he really is almost shed out, just give him a couple baths and curry him. Bathing helps loosen the hair.

SquareOxer
Apr. 26, 2010, 07:40 PM
No experience with the moser but I think it's comparable to the stable pro. It's probably doable, so long as you have an extra blade or two.

Justice
Apr. 26, 2010, 09:14 PM
I actually have these clippers, and I distinctly remember that on one of the reviews someone said they bodyclipped with them and they worked great.

http://www.doversaddlery.com/pop_crc.asp?pn=X1-1853

Good luck!

alteringwego
Apr. 26, 2010, 09:30 PM
I'd probably say no

goldponies
Apr. 26, 2010, 09:37 PM
Ohh my gosh NO!! That would be slow death for your clippers.

Silk
Apr. 27, 2010, 08:24 AM
I body clipped two - a hackney and a welsh early this month with a Wahl Stable Pro (or show Pro - dont remember), It was one of the 10-15-30 adjustables. Took one set of blades per pony but I specifically chose to use them becasue of their quietness and the blade adjustability, I use different blade lengths for different areas (learned this from my dog groomer). In addition, I hate the heavy clippers and find I do a better job with the small ones.

That being said, I know I shorten the life of them but at 100 bucks or so, if they last a few years, I am ok with that. I do let them cool frequently. I find that especially with the Hackney (true to his breed, he is very high strung, excitable and reactive) I have an easier time using the small, quiet clippers. The big groomasters/clipmasters vibrate a lot and mine are small, delicate ponies.

Just my experiences:)

skrgirl
Apr. 27, 2010, 04:41 PM
You can body clip with anything, juts be sure you give them plenty of time to grow some coat back to make up for the extra close clip clippers will leave. We have a gelding that has to get clipped with regular clippers twice a year. Cheap dog ones from Walmart for that matter. Takes a bit of extra time, and will eat up one set of fresh blades, but its not the end of the world and it wont kill your clipper motor.