PDA

View Full Version : Jumping Coaches in Atlanta

Merry Fox
Apr. 26, 2010, 04:04 PM
Can anyone recommend a good jumping coach in the Atlanta area (preferably the NW or SW side)? I’m not necessarily looking for a BNT and would like to find someone that I can afford to take more than one lesson a month with so no $80+ per lesson prices please. Stadium is my weak phase so it could be an eventing person or a jumper trainer. It would also be a big plus if they were willing to travel to me occasionally.

Any suggestions are most welcome.

(You may also see this cross-posted on the Hunter page as well depending on the responses I get.)

Thanks!

RunForIt
Apr. 26, 2010, 04:31 PM
I'm a bit "direction challenged", but I'd recommend Mary Bess Sigman. Bessie is in Covington, GA, but does clinics in other areas of metro Atlanta. Bessie is an advanced rider, GOOD THING~~~, but doesn't have a ego problem, lessons are reasonably priced, and are FANTASTIC!!!! Wonderful ability to work with all levels of riders for both stadum jumping and XC. Plus, you'll get to meet a lot of the areas eventers from ALL OVER who train and event with her...PM me and I'll send you her contact info.

Merry Fox
Apr. 26, 2010, 04:58 PM
Thanks RunForIt--PM sent!

FLeckenAwesome
Apr. 26, 2010, 09:34 PM
Mary Bess is wonderful! And depending on how far you're willing to haul... there is a plethora of good coaches in the Covington/Conyers area... Jim Basset is a h/j guy, Ann Haller is great for instilling confidence, Nicky Buckingham is great, Beth Stelzleni is fantastic (although she is much farther north, though from Atlanta might not be too bad), and.... that's all I can think of now.

Let me know if you need info. You could also hop on the GDCTA website or Area 3 Website and check out the links of trainers there!

Happy jumping!

GiGi
Apr. 26, 2010, 11:13 PM
I second Mary Bess. She comes to Roswell(west side off of Hwy 92) every other Tues. And once a month up in Summerville the Starman's nicely host a clinic with her as the trainer. So you could actually get in 3 lessons a month with her plus the Summerville place has xc as well as stadium jumps. Chris Erbskorn is known for his dressage but teaches jumping as well. He is out of Acworth(east almost Woodstock). PM if you would like contact info or more names in the NW/SW area.

Merry Fox
Apr. 27, 2010, 03:33 PM
Thanks for the input everyone. I'll look up Mary Bess Sigman and see what her schedule looks like--she is one the SE side of the city but it might be workable.

I'd still like to find someone who is located or spends a good amount of time on the west side---Marietta, Austell, Smyrna, Newnan, Douglasville, Fairburn, etc.

Thanks!

Shortstroke
Apr. 27, 2010, 08:58 PM
Mathew LeMaster is in Austell. He is a jumper trainer and really, really good. He charges $50.00 at his place. You won't be sorry if you try him...

ohhthatgirl
Apr. 27, 2010, 10:29 PM
A little farther but Advanced level eventer Elisa Wallace (http://www.teamwallace.org/) frequents the Alpharetta/Canton area. She's fantastic with jumping issues!

Nick Cwick (http://www.capstoneeventing.com/) is located in Newnan. I have a friend that rides with him and seems to enjoy her lessons.

Good luck in your search!

FLeckenAwesome
Apr. 28, 2010, 01:21 AM
Newnan is a very horsey area :) You've got Nick Cwick there as well as Julie Richards!

MunchingonHay
Apr. 28, 2010, 08:42 AM
I L O V E Julie Richards ! she is great

glimmerling
Apr. 28, 2010, 09:03 AM
I'd recommend Jennifer Kozel, she's in Douglasville. Love her, love her style of training. Her horses are freakishly adjustable over fences, we have one in our barn and I've ridden two that she's trained and been amazed at the skill and confidence they possess. PM for phone number.

GiGi
Apr. 29, 2010, 10:31 AM
Remeber Mary Bess comes to Roswell and Summerville regularly so you don't need to go to SE Atlanta to train with her. Terry Brown is also NE in Canton.