PDA

View Full Version : Remington XXV at Rolex

staceyk
Apr. 26, 2010, 01:16 PM
Hi,

In his analysis of the competitors, Jimmy Wofford made a humorous remark about Boyd having the same chance to win on this horse as he did last year (the horse was not in the competition last year). I took that to be a little jab at the horse, and wondered if he had an issue or was a difficult ride. His sire is Rubenstein I (known for dressage). If I'm reading right the horse finished 12th? Not that shabby.

So what was the meaning behind the remark about Remington, I wonder -- just that he wasn't as good a candidate as the other rides?

SparklePlenty
Apr. 26, 2010, 01:34 PM
Hi Staceyk -

if you read Boyd's blog it seems that this particular horse was never in anyone's mind, going to be a 4*horse. i'm not sure if just people didn't think he'd have the Jump in him, or if being a "true" WB was going to lead to his demise. (i.e. he would never be fit enough to do a 4*)

i didn't take JW's comment to be a hit to Boyd, if anything it was a compliment as many people who doubted this horse were now proved wrong because of his determination to get Remi to this level.

:-)

staceyk
Apr. 26, 2010, 01:44 PM
Thanks -- i never thought it would be a slight to Boyd, but wondered about the horse. Rubensteins are wonderful dressage horses (I have a 4 year old R-line hano) but eventing is a very different kind of athleticism.

It's REALLY neat that this horse made it to this level -- but now I wish I'd paid more attention to him while I was at Rolex :-)

bornfreenowexpensive
Apr. 26, 2010, 02:37 PM
Thanks -- i never thought it would be a slight to Boyd, but wondered about the horse. Rubensteins are wonderful dressage horses (I have a 4 year old R-line hano) but eventing is a very different kind of athleticism.

It's REALLY neat that this horse made it to this level -- but now I wish I'd paid more attention to him while I was at Rolex :-)

Jimmy was probably thinking he didn't have the speed or endurance on Saturday and then allergy to wood on Sunday to really be a top contender (as in winning....not completing). That the horse did as well as he did is a credit to the preparation and skill Boyd put into him. Boyd gave that horse as good of a ride as one can....and did the homework with the horse to have him as well prepared as he could......and Remi held up his end by giving the Job 100%. Always great to see.

FWIW--he was originally bred to be a dressage horse.

CookiePony
Apr. 26, 2010, 08:23 PM
I quite adore that horse (not as much as I adore Taco, of course)-- I checked his bit about a year ago and saw that he has the most amazing face and eye. I've been keeping track of him since. I was very proud of him last weekend!

VicariousRider
Apr. 26, 2010, 08:30 PM
As a few have mentioned, Remmy was bred to be a dressage horse and then foxhunted for a bit before he was sent to Boyd by his owners on a whim. The original consensus was that he would not likely go much higher than Prelim. He's a tough horse to get fit and he was not taken on as a 4* prospect, necessarily. If I remember correctly, the original plan was to compete the horse for a bit and then let him go back to hunting with the owner. How the plans changed!

Boyd has done a fantastic job bringing the best out of Remmy. The owners have been blown away with what the horse has accomplished. So much of the journey has just been icing on the cake for all involved.

The owners were so pleased (and adore Boyd) that they purchased a prospect mare named Charla that Boyd has now. He competed her in Aiken this year I think.

blazing saddles
Apr. 27, 2010, 08:08 AM
I think Jimmy was just trying to challenge boyd with the horse. Get him revved up a bit but in a positive way. Not really trying to dig on to seriously.

he knew boyd was up for the challenge.

bornfreenowexpensive
Apr. 27, 2010, 09:55 AM
I think Jimmy was just trying to challenge boyd with the horse. Get him revved up a bit but in a positive way. Not really trying to dig on to seriously.

he knew boyd was up for the challenge.

hehehe...yeah...that sounds right!

Love your name by the way...classic movie:lol:

staceyk
Apr. 27, 2010, 10:07 AM
Just read Boyd's blog and he also has "failed a few prepurchase exams."

All the more wonderful that he's come so far. I'll probably blog something about him, there's a fair amount of youtube footage on Remington too!

blazing saddles
Apr. 27, 2010, 11:20 AM
hehehe...yeah...that sounds right!

Love your name by the way...classic movie:lol:

def classic! ;)

3phase
Apr. 27, 2010, 11:06 PM
I love the fact that Remington xxv was at Rolex and is at the top of the game. I'm a huge fan of Hanoverians so great to see a full blood at the 4 star level! He's a good looking horse!