PDA

View Full Version : Fence Judge at the Hollow

retreadeventer
Apr. 26, 2010, 09:19 AM
I do not know this person, but I have to remark on her excellence. (Actually the whole team there) She's in many of the videos and pictures and it looks to me like she quickly assessed the situation - kept order, communicated, stood back and made sure it stayed controlled at her fence when the falls occurred. You know, you can't pay someone enough to do that kind of a job and I'd bet she was a volunteer, too. My vote for Volunteer of the Year. If someone knows her please post who she was so we can THANK her and the others there --for keeping our sport in mind throughout the day on Saturday. People like this go a long way to making it a good day.

RiverBendPol
Apr. 26, 2010, 09:21 AM
Brilliant. Ditto. :winkgrin:

TimelyImpulse
Apr. 26, 2010, 09:27 AM
Believe it or not, ALL of the fence judges are volunteers. Not paid. Everything on your dime. You get a hat, a t-shirt, a pin, and your choice of a box lunch OR program (not both). :D

She did an excellent job. I do hope she gets some recognition from somewhere, but I bet she's happy just knowing she handled the situation the way she did.

Show Secy
Apr. 26, 2010, 09:33 AM
The same set of fence judges works many of our events in KY. I have emailed the coordinator with the link to this post, so she can receive the feedback and offer the lady's name if she chooses. This group is remarkable, traveling several hours to all of our events, working very long hours with never a complaint. If you see any of them out there, please stop to acknowledge their dedication to the sport!

retreadeventer
Apr. 26, 2010, 09:41 AM
You know the USEA gives an "Ironmaster" award to people who stick it out under tough conditions. These folks should get it.

LAZ
Apr. 26, 2010, 11:28 AM
I was going to say the same thing as Show Secy but she beat me too it. :D

pooh
Apr. 26, 2010, 08:26 PM
I've jumped judged at many local recognized events and have to say I'm glad I never had a large wreck at my jumps - the one before, the one right after but never mine. I'm normally a very calm person - but not sure how I would of reacted. Altough I think during the incident I'd be OK - butI'd be shaking in my boots after.
The jump judges did an awesome job at Rolex. Hopefully riders/spectators remember to thank the judges for all their time - as stated earlier - they volunteer.

RunForIt
Apr. 26, 2010, 09:16 PM
I've had a large wreck happen at a fence only once - at Foxhall - frightening, amazing time with spectators helping to make a story book ending. Owners of lovely horse and I ended up friends...:cool: I have a Cosequin bucket as a treasured souvenir I'll never give up....

SR Rider
Apr. 28, 2010, 08:49 AM
We love fence judging...most of us have been competitors or are competitors. We had to be on grounds the day of Rolex around 7 am; at our jumps assembled at 8:15...rain or shine of course, no umbrellas allowed. I have volunteered at a lot of shows since I stopped riding and have been at Rolex
the past 4 years fence judging. You get to see the riders doing their final walk
and talk to the crowd in between riders. I had no refusals at my jump this year...nice, straightforward......and BIG. Carolyn Borgert is in charge of the fence judges...great gal and keeps us well organized.

Kudos to the fence judges at the Hollow!

Kairoshorses
Apr. 28, 2010, 10:06 AM
Kudos to ALL fence judges everywhere! They allow the sport to happen!

For seven years, I drove from Muncie, IN to the Indiana Horse Park to be a fence judge so I could watch these amazing horses and riders, knowing SOMEDAY I would do that (I was in grad school).

Now I get to do it!

I planned my sabbatical around Rolex five years ago, flying from TX to KY, and I asked to be a fence judge, because I wanted to be a tiny part of the most amazing event EVER (in the US).

I was hooked.

I've been a fence judge at Rolex ever since. I was at fence 5 this year, and thankfully, there were no problems. But every year, before XC, I feel the awe and responsibility of what I get to do that day. It's magical.

AND it's almost a clinic, watching how every top-level rider takes one fence.

How lucky am I?

Bravo to the fence judges who handled things at the Hollow, the Lake, and elsewhere....and here's praying they won't have to in the future (but instead get to watch all the horses riders handle the fences beautifully).

ZEBE
Apr. 28, 2010, 04:14 PM
Sending you a PM. !