PDA

View Full Version : Who would YOU sponsor? A spinoff from Denny's musings on Kim S.

FlightCheck
Apr. 26, 2010, 09:12 AM
So as to not hijack Denny's thread on Kim S.

I have a different point of view. I'm sure Kim is a lovely person and she is a great rider - but she's had her time at the top with Dan.

If I won the lottery, I would sponsor someone who hasn't had that yet.

Someone like Jon Holling, or Lauren Kieffer. Maybe someone who is a great rider but doesn't have a string of horses.

Thoughts?

Eventer55
Apr. 26, 2010, 09:29 AM
Ok, I'll start with Bonnie Mosser.

RiverBendPol
Apr. 26, 2010, 09:30 AM
If I won the lottery, I'd sponsor my coach. She is a great rider, a great coach, doesn't have 2 nickels to rub together, works her buns off, is always cheerful and helpful and deserves to get to the top. Plus she's only 30 years old.

I already sponsor myself and my child so everyone else will have to wait.:winkgrin:

retreadeventer
Apr. 26, 2010, 09:39 AM
I IMMENSELY dislike discussing personalities and who likes who, and who is better than who.
I would not like to be a named person on a thread like this -- would you? and hope that posters would be careful to be courteous and kind. I know it's a spinoff thread, and interesting issue, but please think about how YOU would feel. Let's just list the ones you'd like, and not put out there what you don't like. This is the kind of thing that affects your business, your clients, and students.
Just my finger-wagging...

And to add, I believe if I had a capable horse I would try and match the horse and rider so they would do best with one another. It wouldn't matter as a lot of these top riders are pretty equal in skill -- they're ALL excellent. Making a match is where the winning starts!

Xctrygirl
Apr. 26, 2010, 10:29 AM
Ok from the very cheap seats...

I respect the hell out of Kim, have for a long time and will continue to. But isn't it a part of the professional eventer cycle to go through all levels of "good" horses?

I mean we've seen ups and downs with every 'big name" Olympic/U.S. Team rider eventer. Shall we go back and question the Tetrarch's, High Patriot, Hugh Knows, and various other equines that had to step in the rather auspicious spot of following superstars such as, Molokai, Hopper and Biko??? "Paddy" has the same problem, he's not Dan. And that's ok and how it should be. He will teach Kim some stuff that Dan didn't, and her next superstar will be all the harder to beat.

All things go in cycles. The quality of horses current and future will do so as well. Kim would probably admit to anyone that she enjoyed a lot of success with Dan, so much so that any less ribbons will look like she is in a slump. But I don't think she is. She has a nice horse who runs clean xc and can nail dressage and who is owned by a Syndicate. Right there I think she doesn't NEED a sponsor. Now there are some others out there on the way up who have made their own mounts with great dedication and talent and keep hitting some random stumbling points. Those people are the ones, for me, who need a hand.

So I'm not going to name names, but were I to get a windfall of cash, I'd look for the hardest worker, probably on a long list, who just seems to catch bad breaks.

~Emily

not again
Apr. 26, 2010, 10:39 AM
I have my stallion with Ryan Wood. It would be great to see them together at a 4*!

RacetrackReject
Apr. 26, 2010, 10:51 AM
Jennie Brannigan, Kim Severson, Allison Springer (who I think took some uncalled for shots from Jim on the broadcast).

annikak
Apr. 26, 2010, 11:09 AM
There are several. Back to communication- who would communicate with me? Keep me in the loop? Ride kindly? They'd get my $$$$. (maybe $$$$$ or more to get a horse to that level...once the horse is owned.)

I'd have to give a nod to Peter A, who really seems to get everyone involved. I also like a lot of the YRers that I have seen....;) Ah to win the lottery!

crittertwitter
Apr. 26, 2010, 11:11 AM
haha annikak. I was sold on Peter Atkins when he dropped his reins to give that encouraging pat after the coffin combo. They didn't have the smoothest round, but he looked like he was his horse's biggest fan. Loved it.

deltawave
Apr. 26, 2010, 11:12 AM
If I won the lottery, I would sponsor someone who hasn't had that yet.

Someone like Jon Holling, or Lauren Kieffer. Maybe someone who is a great rider but doesn't have a string of horses.

Thoughts?

Yep. My trainer fits the bill and is knocking on the four-star door with ONE horse who she's made from scratch, so although I'm not in a league to "sponsor" her, I do what I can. :yes:

FlightCheck
Apr. 26, 2010, 11:16 AM
Retread, I'm not sure where you got an impression that I was "dissing" any riders. That was NOT my intention.

SparklePlenty
Apr. 26, 2010, 11:19 AM
I would pay for Boyd Martin to come wash my car..

does that count?? :-)

(trying to add humor to this..)

Xctrygirl
Apr. 26, 2010, 11:49 AM
Retread, I'm not sure where you got an impression that I was "dissing" any riders. That was NOT my intention.

I really think she wasn't saying you were dissing. Rather that she was afraid the thread would turn into a conversation of...

"Oh I'd give money to Rider A, but never Rider F since I can't stand how she rides.."

The dissing isn't here. But I think Retread was saying something as a heads up, thought provoker to avoid any dissing. Just trying to keep it all good and positive and stick the the interesting topic you provided without getting down into the potential mudslinging that could pop up.

~Emily

archieflies
Apr. 26, 2010, 12:21 PM
I was thinking of starting this same thread this morning, but I also worried about where it may go as far as insulting certain riders' personalities. Everyone works well with different kinds of people, and while you may dislike someone who is a bit shy, I may respect them all the more! :) So be positive and tell people you WOULD suggest sponsoring, and don't linger on those you wouldn't!

I don't know many names out there, but I have a feeling I would lean more toward an up-and-coming rider if I magically had cash to give, and an established rider if I already had a top horse that needed the ride. Once you have that concrete animal already there, it's hard to not want immediate success for it. after all, they ahve a limited career. There may be a great number of good matches for it amongst the ranks of up-and-comers, but those already at the top are more visible, their riding styles more well-known and such, so they are more likely to get the ride. But if I had endless purse strings... I'd LOVE to be able to give a young one (ha, I'm only 26 myself, yet so many great riders are sooo much younger than myself!) the money and let them find the ride that works best to get them to the top... so someday they can be PD! Otherwise, we'll be sending a bunch of 80-year old riders to the 2024 Olympics and the quality of the horse won't matter- the riders will all have heart attacks on XC! :)

Lori B
Apr. 26, 2010, 01:01 PM
If Sara Mittleider can make El Primero, her $200 OTTB, into a solid 4* horse, think what she could do with some cash in hand. (Was so pleased to see them have a great Rolex this year)

Brandy76
Apr. 26, 2010, 01:44 PM
Sally Cousins, hands down. Kind, cares about her horses, safe, a fabulous rider.

Not that the others aren't deserving. Would just love to see her get some serious sponsorship.

Kim Severson
Bonnie Mosser
Becky Holder
Kelly Prather
Jennie Brannigan
Sara Mittleider

All the others in fact.

It is sad, but true, that not only do they have to have the qualities of a successful upper level rider, that's a given, but as someone posted, they also have to now be great at Marketing.

If I ever won the powerball, I'd give the money to people like that, so they wouldn't have to be good at marketing. I'd rather they get themselves and their horses around safe, than be a great schmoozer.

I know, I know, these days it must be both.

scoobysnacks
Apr. 26, 2010, 02:01 PM
I would love to see riders that put their horses' needs first get the sponsorship dollars. How about those following the drug rules be the first to have access to funds? Refreshing...

rideforthelaurels16
Apr. 26, 2010, 02:02 PM
Melissa Hunsberger. She's an amazing rider, and had her one 4* horse - did Rolex '07 with a double clear, but since the horse got injured she's been stuck riding Prelim and below, and had to sell her Prelim horse. She's worked so, so hard and really deserves to get the ride on a really top quality horse. Her Training horse will get there in time, but I'd love to see her with an UL horse to fill the void until then.

Lori B
Apr. 26, 2010, 02:06 PM
Ditto, rideforthelaurels, big ditto. Not to mention the care she has expended rehabbing her Rolex mount after his fall at Fair Hill. True horsemanship, deserves every opportunity.

ponyjumper4
Apr. 26, 2010, 02:23 PM
I would sponsor Christan Trainer. She is as talented as the day is long, just doesn't have the financial backing. Damn near made the Olympic team at 18 on a horse she took off the track, then of course made Teddy, and just hasn't been able to get one back, either bad luck, or forced to sell because she has to pay for everything.

TBCollector
Apr. 26, 2010, 02:51 PM
I would sponsor Christan Trainer. She is as talented as the day is long, just doesn't have the financial backing. Damn near made the Olympic team at 18 on a horse she took off the track, then of course made Teddy, and just hasn't been able to get one back, either bad luck, or forced to sell because she has to pay for everything.

Took the words right out of my...fingers, I guess.
I'd also like to see Kelly Sult get some kind of backing. There's someone who never really even had formal training...just her dad reading the Jimmy Wofford books and coaching her from the ground. It's really kind of a marvel that she just completed her third Rolex with an 18-year-old OTTB...that nobody else can ride.

LexInVA
Apr. 26, 2010, 03:12 PM
Here's what I would do....get all my favorite 25-35 peeps under one roof, (assuming they get along to begin with) let them focus on their work, while the business aspects are handled by someone who has the time and expertise required to do it. The business would find and develop low/mid-level horses for Eventing, Dressage, and H/J while building up reserves of funding for the purpose of allowing the individual riders and their promising horses (ala Christan and Teddy) at the higher levels of the sports. They would get health benefits, a fitness facility, and on-site living accommodations along with a good cut from the sale of whatever horses they brought along that got sold and they could use the facilities to teach clinics/camps, train individuals on their own time, have tupper ware parties, or whatever to raise money for their own use that they would keep with a small kick (10-15% maybe?) to me to help keep the overall business going. I know it's crazy but I'm just throwing out an answer to the question if it was a "what-if" scenario where factors could be favorable to such a thing. Obviously it's not that simple.

RAyers
Apr. 26, 2010, 03:35 PM
Here's what I would do....get all my favorite 25-35 peeps under one roof,....

And put it in Galdstone NJ.

LexInVA
Apr. 26, 2010, 03:47 PM

I was thinking more like south-eastern VA. Land and building costs are inexpensive as long as you're away from The Beach. Vet care could be problematic though.

JDufort
Apr. 26, 2010, 03:58 PM
:) :) :)

terrific equine vets, nice moderate climate, easy 1+/- hr drive to the ATL airport and...
PineTop is an hour away, Aiken about 2hrs, and Poplar, Chatt Hills under 3hrs.

and reasonable land prices, plus championship golf and a recreational lake to tempt the non-horsey spouses...

welcome to my version of the dream.

snoopy
Apr. 26, 2010, 03:58 PM

YES...that was done in the 70's and 80's. First at Gladstone then to South Hamilton. It worked "then"...but eventing was not a business then. People donated horses to the "team" for those young guns to train/ride/compete. That would not work now...at least that is my thought.

Hey remember Bally Cor was an experiment...a donated horse.
Bluestone, The Sheik, Lasar, and many others were also donated/on loan. Some went on to team appearance and some were useful horses that were passed from rider to rider in order to gain upper level experience.

I cannot see how that would work now, but it did serve a purpose back then.

kookicat
Apr. 26, 2010, 05:40 PM
I'd find a really good kid and sponsor them. Or maybe Oli Townend. ;) He deserves a bit of better luck right now.

rideforthelaurels16
Apr. 26, 2010, 05:48 PM
I'd donate myself to Oli Townend's cause...hahaha ;) I mean that in a totally family-friendly, I'll-clean-his-stable-with-a-toothbrush sort of way.

piaffequeen
Apr. 26, 2010, 05:50 PM
If I had the finances-Caroline Atherholt (Dowd) in a heartbeat! She is a fantastic rider and trainer! Would love to see her get back to the top!:D

RAyers
Apr. 26, 2010, 06:21 PM
YES...that was done in the 70's and 80's. First at Gladstone then to South Hamilton. It worked "then"...but eventing was not a business then. People donated horses to the "team" for those young guns to train/ride/compete...

Ah, my sub reference was not lost. Brings a tear to my eye.

No, it no longer works but it is a nice remembrance.

useventers
Apr. 26, 2010, 06:25 PM
Kerry Milliken. She's one of the most amazing and naturally gifted riders we've ever had. She was an International rider that knew how to get the job done at the biggest events in the world. If anyone has a chance to watch tape of her and The Pirate, it's truly a joy to watch. I believe they won Kentucky and Chesterland in the same year. It's such a shame she hasn't been out competing since Atlanta. These are the types of riders that should have a mount, if we want to win medals!

RunForIt
Apr. 26, 2010, 06:40 PM
haha annikak. I was sold on Peter Atkins when he dropped his reins to give that encouraging pat after the coffin combo. They didn't have the smoothest round, but he looked like he was his horse's biggest fan. Loved it.

I'll NEVER forget seeing that - NEVER!!!! :D :D :D :cool:

poltroon
Apr. 26, 2010, 06:43 PM
We really need two different initiatives.

One, to keep our good riders mounted on nice horses - Kim is one, but also we've got plenty of riders who've won major championships but end up without top horses. Gina Miles and Dorothy Crowell would also be in that category.

Second, to help up-and-comers stay up-and-coming.

It's a big job.

RunForIt
Apr. 26, 2010, 06:49 PM
Now, if I won the lottery - and I spent some time last night thinking just this way, I would call Kim first. Simply because I now have the money and I consider her a world class, multi-talented rider who is also a person I trust and would love to spend time around...for the very reasons that Kim does not have people standing in line to send her horses.

Then, I would find a way to convince Lellie Ward to sell me an interest in Paradise Farm...and I would buy all the property next to it and behind it. In exchange, I'd get a couple of promising Prelim - Intermediate horses for Lellie to bring up through the levels with the one promise that she nor the horses would NOT get hurt in a way that would mean putting them in the ground...Kim has to promise the same.

It's my fantasy and I'm sticking to it. :cool:

Koko
Apr. 26, 2010, 06:58 PM
Holly Hudspeth in a NY minute. (If only I had a job and disposable income.) Of course, she's already got a superstar horse in Last Monarch (aka Stewie). I think the sky is the limit with those two!!

pegasusmom
Apr. 26, 2010, 07:00 PM
Holly Hudspeth in a NY minute. (If only I had a job and disposable income.) Of course, she's already got a superstar horse in Last Monarch (aka Stewie). I think the sky is the limit with those two!!

Ditto. :D:D:D

staceyk
Apr. 26, 2010, 07:34 PM

You succeeded!

staceyk
Apr. 26, 2010, 07:41 PM
I was at Rolex and stayed at a hotel that was -- well, let's say modest, one step above camping out. In the parking lot was a truck that had the name of one of the top riders at Rolex, mentioned in Denny's and this thread.

Someone reassure me that this rider did NOT stay at the crappo hotel I stayed at! I am hoping it was one of her employees.

I don't know, somehow I imagine these guys staying with friends, or at least at the Radisson...

Blugal
Apr. 26, 2010, 07:46 PM
I don't know, somehow I imagine these guys staying with friends, or at least at the Radisson...

Really? For a lot of them, every penny counts. Staying in the trailer can be much more affordable. (Plus keeps you closer to the horse.)

Lone
Apr. 26, 2010, 08:20 PM
I would definitely sponsor Kim, or the reasons others have listed.

I know next to nothing about Kelly Prather, but I was SO impressed with the way she handled her dressage test, and she looked good on the parts of x-c that I saw, so she'd be on my list too!

staceyk
Apr. 26, 2010, 08:23 PM
Sure, that's probably the norm at some levels of the sport, but at this level I'd want to make sure the rider is well-rested and feeling good. I can't imagine putting on white breeches for a big show if I was not freshly showered. Wouldn't there be people a rider trusts to stay with the horses -- some very nice hotels are less than 20 minutes away.

I guess I'm thinking that while I can't sponsor a rider, I might be able to go together w/a few folks and sponsor a nice hotel stay -- if the rider would accept it...

CookiePony
Apr. 26, 2010, 08:29 PM
My "if I won the lottery" list:
I'd start with my own trainer-- for the reasons of proximity and who-you-know that have been discussed.

If I were to sponsor a BNR trying to make the team, there are several possibilities. My main criterion is that they not only be good riders but good horsemen or -women. Kim S. would for sure be on my short list.

RunForIt
Apr. 26, 2010, 08:52 PM
My "if I won the lottery" list:
I'd start with my own trainer-- for the reasons of proximity and who-you-know that have been discussed.

If I were to sponsor a BNR trying to make the team, there are several possibilities. My main criterion is that they not only be good riders but good horsemen or -women. Kim S. would for sure be on my short list.

Amy Wise would be on my short list too, CP. Truly, if I could adopt a couple of young women, you know you head the list, but once Amy came to RFI FARM, I knew for sure you are in good hands...cute, talented, smart to boot. I LOFF her!!! :D :cool:

CookiePony
Apr. 26, 2010, 11:27 PM
I LOFF her!!! :D :cool:

Me, too-- and I should have said that the FIRST reason she would be my lottery beneficiary would be her superb skills as a horsewoman.

fooler
Apr. 26, 2010, 11:31 PM

Let's have him wash cars as a fund raiser. . . then we can get our cars diry and have him wash them again & again :D

tuppysmom
Apr. 27, 2010, 08:20 AM
We always stay in our trailer at events including Rolex. It will be 15 days by the time we get home! Looking forward to that!

We are thinking about putting together a syndicate for the DD something like Dogwood does for racing. There could be 20 or 30 shares which would make it affordable for many more people to "own" an upper level event horse. We have friends in the racing game who have experience with large groups of owners, so we are kicking around ideas.

It should be an interesting experiment.

Shrunk "N" Da Wash
Apr. 27, 2010, 08:58 AM

What about Will Coleman? :cool: :yes: :cool:

I think you may be on to something they could make some good money washing trucks and horse trailers at events :lol:

TwinGates
Apr. 27, 2010, 09:07 AM
If Sara Mittleider can make El Primero, her $200 OTTB, into a solid 4* horse, think what she could do with some cash in hand. (Was so pleased to see them have a great Rolex this year)

In addition to Tony, her horse Owl (Here's Awesome) was around $1k and he's now a solid Intermediate (and believe she's done well in at least one 2* w/him).

This is why she has one of my horses, may get a 2nd and I've created a syndicate to buy her another!!

rideforthelaurels16
Apr. 27, 2010, 01:25 PM
I think the syndicate thing for an up-and-comer is a great idea. It all comes down to marketing - if that's done right, the first people will come, and then word-of-mouth will bring the others in.

poltroon
Apr. 27, 2010, 04:33 PM
We always stay in our trailer at events including Rolex. It will be 15 days by the time we get home! Looking forward to that!

We are thinking about putting together a syndicate for the DD something like Dogwood does for racing. There could be 20 or 30 shares which would make it affordable for many more people to "own" an upper level event horse. We have friends in the racing game who have experience with large groups of owners, so we are kicking around ideas.

They did something like that with Teddy and it seemed very attractive. I don't know how well it worked out in practice.

Revelations
Apr. 27, 2010, 04:49 PM
I know many well established ULR's who not only stay in low rent motels, but share those cheap rooms with as many as 3 other people quite often. It's not always so glitzy at the top.

BuddyRoo
Apr. 27, 2010, 05:14 PM
I was at Rolex and stayed at a hotel that was -- well, let's say modest, one step above camping out. In the parking lot was a truck that had the name of one of the top riders at Rolex, mentioned in Denny's and this thread.

Someone reassure me that this rider did NOT stay at the crappo hotel I stayed at! I am hoping it was one of her employees.

If you saw Kim's truck at Day's....I saw the two gals that were getting gassed up and buying snacks XC a.m. at 6:30...and Kim was nowhere to be found. So maybe it's just the WONDERFUL help.

That said, I did nearly take a pic of me with the truck when I pulled in Fri night. le sigh.

I have stalked Kim for years. (not REALLY stalked...but I do have lots of pics of her from all over the grounds over the last 6 years...I'm a fan, what can I say?)

VicariousRider
Apr. 27, 2010, 07:33 PM

Syndicates are great with the right people and you sound like you have some good advisors on that front.

There are a few issues that can prevent people from getting involved: (that probably don't apply in your case)

It can take a long time to get together a big group of committed peoples, so if you are looking to buy a horse that is already on the market they may not be available by the time you are ready to go.

That said, it can be hard to "sell" a group of people on a conceptual horse (that has yet to be identified). It's also hard to get everyone to agree to give full purchase discretion to the rider (though it is possible).

Therefore, it can be easier to "sell" a horse that the rider already has to a group. However, that requires that the rider already have the horse.

I'd say that another huge hurdle is that many people in eventing (compared to racing), want to be involved. Example: What happens if the horse goes to Rolex? There certainly are not 20 owners passes! Who gets the free ones? There are lost of little scenarios like this. In a sport like eventing, people cutting a check to support a horse usually want something in return. For some that is the thrill of being involved in a level of competition that they otherwise could not. For others, it is developing a relationship with an up-and-coming rider. But the bottom line is that each owner has expectations about what they are "getting" for their money and it can be pretty hard to accommodate 20-30 sets of expectations.

If anyone is interested in looking at a syndication proposal, I know that Boyd and Silva have a bunch on their site. They seem pretty thorough and attempt to deal with a lot of the issues mentioned above. However, I think that they usually only break the horse into 10 shares.

subk
Apr. 27, 2010, 07:56 PM
Talking about riders in cheap hotels.

Did any one else notice that the "Cottage" fence #26, the set up for the last combination the Offset Brushes, look suspiciously like the old Knights Inn off Newton Pike before it was renovated? It had that tudor look going on, although I didn't peep in the windows to see if it included the nasty red carpet. There must be legions of UL riders that stayed in that fire trap over the years.

Like Tuppysmom, many of the UL riders stay in the campgrounds...

baldfaceboyz
Apr. 27, 2010, 09:41 PM
Doug Payne - ubertalented, position looks like an equitation rider going xc, definite vote for Melissa Hunsberger as well - superb horsewoman and human being, Bonnie Mosser - fun, tough chic who deserves it after all this time

Apr. 28, 2010, 01:38 AM
Jennifer Wooten
Kim Severson
Bonnie Mosser

event1
Apr. 28, 2010, 09:57 AM
I would sponsor Marcia Kulak...great horseperson, awesome trainer, and can ride ANYTHING (and correctly). She has had a couple of upper level horses-and also alot of bad breaks too. Has had some sponsorship but never enough in my mind vs the talent that she has. Still considering sending her my super talented prelim horse....:yes: