PDA

View Full Version : Leesburg VA area barns

ImJumpin
Apr. 26, 2010, 07:52 AM
In an effort to start preparing in case I am offered a position for a job I have interviewed for, and I need to make an educated decision, what am I looking at- barn-wise, in the area? I still don't know exactly where I would be living-- but it would be in the opposite direction of DC. So looking at Middleburg, Berryville, Herndon, etc. Barn selection would probably come into play with where I live a bit.

I prefer smaller, more private barns. I like to have somewhat control over my own horses. I don't need a BNT, but I do need someone competent as I have a green bean with loads of potential. I don't need the at A shows every week barn either, my showing would be limited to a handful of A shows and some locals sprinkled in. I like good care and turnout (who doesn't?). I would consider a barn without a trainer so as long as there is a trainer that would be willing to either come in to teach or would accept haul-ins.

As always, PMs are great.

Empressive Award
Apr. 26, 2010, 05:27 PM
Saw your criteria and thought I'd post a rep for Oakleigh Farm. I work, ride,lesson, and have had my horse in training there.

Private training barn, exceptional/knowledgable care, small and private, will take you to the A shows or local, excellant turnout and facility, about 15 minutes from Leesburg at the base of the Blue Ridge mtns, lovely ride out. She offers full care field board and stall board, training, lessons, training rides and more. If you want more info or contact info PM or check out her website. She has adult and juniors at her barn :)

cbiscuit
Apr. 26, 2010, 06:36 PM
Oakleigh is GREAT!

Tiramit
Apr. 26, 2010, 10:36 PM
Where is Oakleigh? I've heard the name before and live in the area.

LexInVA
Apr. 26, 2010, 10:43 PM
It's in Lovettsville. Relatively new place.

diKecnadnuS
Apr. 26, 2010, 10:48 PM
I just started riding with North Face Farm (it just opened) based out of Stone Gate Stables in Aldie, and absolutely love it. The facilities are incredible. I ride with Ashley Lindo and she's been a great trainer... I took a lot of time off (quite a few years) from riding and I'm just starting to seriously come back and she really knows when to push me and when I need some confidence building. The horse I'm working with really needs a program, and I've been very impressed with how dedicated she is to figuring out exactly what program is right for this particular horse. North Face is a small operation, which I like, because it provides a lot more individualized attention than some larger barns. This is the kind of place where someone doing just a handful of shows a year would be treated the same as someone trying to qualify for indoors.

Also, everyone I've met affiliated with Stone Gate has been so nice... the grounds truly are amazing. http://northfacefarm.net/ is their website (it's under construction) and this is the page for them on SGS's website http://www.stonegatestables.com/Training%20-%20NFF.htm

I live in North Arlington and commute out to Aldie, yes, it's a bit of a drive, but it's totally worth it. It's not bad on the weekends, and I usually make it out once or twice during the work week. The rings are lighted and the indoor is huge, which is great. Also, their turnout is fabulous - did I say that already? haha! I've been so impressed with the grounds! Great turnout with four-board fencing, and then a bridle trail around the whole property. The turnout is big enough that you can ride in some pastures if you're looking for serious field work. The facilities are just lovely - from the footing to the heated wash stalls, I love it. Of course, my favorite part is the training. :)

It's also nice to be able to pop into one of Virginia's many wineries after a lesson for a quick tasting or to pick up a bottle to bring home with me.

LockeMeadows
Apr. 26, 2010, 10:57 PM
Terri Young has a barn in Leesburg that should fit your bill to a a T. She does an excellent job with young horses and her clients always seem happy with the care/training their horses receive. I will also say her horses are always in excellent condition and are well-turned-out at shows.

Cranky Agnes
Apr. 27, 2010, 06:58 AM
Terri Young has a barn in Leesburg that should fit your bill to a a T. She does an excellent job with young horses and her clients always seem happy with the care/training their horses receive. I will also say her horses are always in excellent condition and are well-turned-out at shows.

Not knocking her ability or talent at all, but I probably wouldn't recommend her for an adult ammy. She seems far more interested in coaching young riders/juniors than she does the adult amateur rider. However, if the OP doesn't need a lot of assistance or coaching, then maybe it wouldn't be so bad. I know someone who was very overfaced in training with her, so that would personally make me cautious.

Everythingbutwings
Apr. 27, 2010, 07:48 AM
You are fortunate! Most people are trying to commute out to that area to one of the excellent barns clustered near Leesburg/Middleburg.

PM sent. :)

gottagrey
Apr. 27, 2010, 03:14 PM
Leesburg/Middleburg area is a great area - as many threads/posts before have stated the Washington DC area can be quite a challenge for any commuter, double/triple that for those of us who ride :lol:

So basically a lot might depend on where you work, live + where you would like to board. There are a lot of good boarding facilities in the area.

Tartan Farm in Lovettsville might also be a good choice -he's a great trainer; lovely facility more geared towards the A shows but might be slowing down a bit now--worth checking out.

If your job is in Fairfax/Loudoun County Dulles/Reston/Herndon area please let us know - vs in DC - that opens up the choices

FiveBs
Apr. 27, 2010, 06:24 PM
I sent you a PM!

REH
Apr. 28, 2010, 09:46 AM
I would also throw into the mix Katie Petronelli at Shades of Bay Farm. http://www.shadesofbay.com/

The facility is large, but she's got a good, homey feel.

Ginia Wilbrandt

www.meafarm.com

and a personal favorite in terms of educating young horses (though she doesn't show ring ride) is Marti Eppard Bigley--pm me for numbers.

Dale and Peter are WONDERFUL and very low key even though they do most of the A shows in our area, but they also do some of the local schooling shows. They are often full.

Last, but not least is Sonya Crampton--she's excellent. At a private barn with an indoor and is very easy to deal with.

shire_flyer
Apr. 28, 2010, 10:32 AM
Not knocking her ability or talent at all, but I probably wouldn't recommend her for an adult ammy. She seems far more interested in coaching young riders/juniors than she does the adult amateur rider. However, if the OP doesn't need a lot of assistance or coaching, then maybe it wouldn't be so bad. I know someone who was very overfaced in training with her, so that would personally make me cautious.

I was an adult ammy that rode with Terri and I have to say that I completely disagree with this statement! In the time that I was with her, she never showed the slightest hint of disinterest in coaching an amateur and went out of her way to make sure that her program worked for me and my crazy schedule. I never once felt overfaced. She definitely individualizes her program for each of her riders and I highly recommend Terri. If I still lived in VA, I would still be riding with her.

REH
Apr. 28, 2010, 11:48 AM
I was an adult ammy that rode with Terri and I have to say that I completely disagree with this statement! In the time that I was with her, she never showed the slightest hint of disinterest in coaching an amateur and went out of her way to make sure that her program worked for me and my crazy schedule. I never once felt overfaced. She definitely individualizes her program for each of her riders and I highly recommend Terri. If I still lived in VA, I would still be riding with her.

Before Terri got her own barn, she used to come teach my mother, who loved her! My mother is well-passed her junior years :lol: I've also known several adults who rode with her and I think she also does a "gentleman's lesson" once a week for the fathers in the barn. Or at least she did. I don't know what her schedule is like now that she's had a baby. I did see her at Culpeper this past week and she seemed to have a large group of kids/teens--clientele tends to go in cycles for most trainers--but I don't think she has any issue working with adults. I've also braided an AA horse for her before.