PDA

View Full Version : So what did happen to Kim in s/j

Lori T
Apr. 25, 2010, 10:44 PM
I was shocked to see she had so many faults? Since I didn't watch it and am waiting til the 15th to see it on NBC, someone please explain. Was her horse simply exhausted? It is too bad, I was really rooting for her.

Duramax
Apr. 25, 2010, 10:59 PM
Early on in the course it looked like he was actually jumping her out of the tack! That was probably the first time ever for Kim not to look perfect! After he made a particularly huge effort at #3 he then stopped at #4 and then they just looked not quite together for the rest.

J-Lu
Apr. 25, 2010, 11:14 PM
Interestingly, Jim Wofford eerily called this in his COTH Rolex preview. He wrote:

"Kim will finish in the top three after dressage, and she'll be clean afnd fast across country. Then the fun begins. "Paddy" has shown a distinct lack of enthusiasm for show jumping this spring. Kim is one of the best riders the US has ever produced, and she must call on every ounce of skill to retain her placing."

oooOOOOOOOoooo...

mustangsal85
Apr. 26, 2010, 12:02 AM
For anyone else who was there today, I was fairly far from the in gate so I couldn't see too well when she was exiting - but to me it almost looked like his back right heel was bleeding when she was done, and I could've sworn he took a funny step after the refusal. Now, I do not have a trained eye besides being able to spot the obvious, and I'm sure that if he did bobble she would have retired. So my inclination is to say that I was imagining things, but I really would almost be willing to bet that his heel was some shade of red after the last fence. Did anyone else see anything? If he did indeed clip or cut himself, that would explain him knocking the last few fences with his hind end.

ZiggyStardust
Apr. 26, 2010, 12:23 AM
J.Wofford had some interesting commentary about it (I watched the live streaming). I think he basically said that it looked like Kim was not quite dialed into the kind of ride Paddy needed for the round. The horse seemed not able to focus on his job, and J.W. thought it had to do with Kim going to the reins to make adjustments. He thought the horse might do better if Kim dropped the contact a bit so he didn't have any reason to suck back. It was a heartbreaker, he was not quite attacking the fences, but the stop seemed pretty unexpected (to me).

Lori B
Apr. 26, 2010, 06:11 AM
I was so bummed for them, I thought they rocked XC hard.

redlight
Apr. 26, 2010, 10:06 AM
J.W. also said that every time Kim went to the reins it took Paddy's concentration away from the jump and focused on her instead. You could see this because every time she went to the reins he flicked his ears back to "listen" to her. He looks like a really neat horse and maybe just needs time to work on the show jumping part.

RacetrackReject
Apr. 26, 2010, 10:44 AM
As someone else posted something similar too, I heard that Paddy likes to gallop at the fences on his own terms which in SJ leaves some rails down and if you touch the reins to steady him, he says "oh, huh, what?" and has rails down/refusal. It's pretty sad as I think Kim is a fantastic rider.

Lori T
Apr. 26, 2010, 10:45 AM
That is just too bad. I was really rooting for them.

Coppers mom
Apr. 26, 2010, 12:22 PM
Paddy has just never been a show jumper. My old BO was the one who urged Tracy (the owner) to buy him, and even back then he was one you'd want to take out cross country, not try to clear sticks with. It's just never been his thing, and I suspect it never will be.

RunForIt
Apr. 26, 2010, 04:41 PM
All I can say is I love Kim, and she loves, believes in the horse. Jimmy most likely nailed yesterday's problem, - Kim went to the reins...THAT'S WHAT YOU WOULD SEE ME do, not one of the best riders in the whole damn world. :eek:

Paddy is a big horse - he is agreeable about dressage. Paddy appears to love XC (but notice, Kim had to chase him into/across one of the water questions), but STADIUM????!!!! He is so big that by the 3rd day, and some fatigue has set in, the packaging, and FORWARD, and quickness with the front and hind ends just ain't happening with someone Kim's size sending the signals, no matter how good she sends them...JM-VERY-HO!

I ache for her today ...

secretariat
Apr. 26, 2010, 05:18 PM
We also tend to forget just how difficult Advanced, 3*, and 4* show jumping is, how high the fences are, and how wide the oxers -- all after the intense pressure of dressage and a maximum effort XC.

The difference between rushing a fence and pulling the rail, perfect balance to clear the obstacle, and/or inadequate impulsion resulting in a stop is only a tiny fraction of effort. She's not the first Rolex top 5 competitor to slightly miss the tipping point and I guarantee she won't be the last.

Kim is one of the best eventers of her generation, if not THE best. She gave it her best shot and I have great respect for that. She'll be back.

useventers
Apr. 26, 2010, 06:09 PM
I'm willing to give Paddy a pass for Sun.
He was off a year and only had 3 runs up to KY. He looked great, but chances are the year off and fitness caught up with him on Sun. I think he's an improving horse as the year goes on and he's back competing more consistently.

RunForIt
Apr. 26, 2010, 06:51 PM
I'm willing to give Paddy a pass for Sun.
He was off a year and only had 3 runs up to KY. He looked great, but chances are the year off and fitness caught up with him on Sun. I think he's an improving horse as the year goes on and he's back competing more consistently.

and I am praying that you are "in the know" :cool:
Lynda

NRB
Apr. 26, 2010, 08:23 PM
It seems that the horse has a history of jump penalties in stadium. If you check out his record online. 3 events in 2010 12 jump penalties in stadium at the Fork, 12 jump penalties in stadium at Southern Pine II, but 0 pen in Pine Top. Then in year 2009, again 16 jump penalties at the Fork, another 16 jump penalties in stadium at Southern Pines. And on and on.

So this horse is an XC machine, but clearly dislikes stadium.

ZiggyStardust
Apr. 26, 2010, 10:39 PM
It seems that the horse has a history of jump penalties in stadium. If you check out his record online. 3 events in 2010 12 jump penalties in stadium at the Fork, 12 jump penalties in stadium at Southern Pine II, but 0 pen in Pine Top. Then in year 2009, again 16 jump penalties at the Fork, another 16 jump penalties in stadium at Southern Pines. And on and on.

So this horse is an XC machine, but clearly dislikes stadium.

It makes me think of Courageous Comet; I seem to remember reading somewhere B.Holder talking about having difficulty in the SJ phase and taking a while trying different things (including the hackamore) to figure out the right combo for the horse.

(I'm not usually this invested in other people's SJ rounds, but I actually got to watch some of the live streaming this year, so have been all jazzed about my own riding again, too. Nothing like watching the best to get one inspired!)

Apr. 27, 2010, 05:54 PM
Paddy has just never been a show jumper. My old BO was the one who urged Tracy (the owner) to buy him, and even back then he was one you'd want to take out cross country, not try to clear sticks with. It's just never been his thing, and I suspect it never will be.
In 2008 they had a beautiful round with 1 rail and a few time penalties.

Coppers mom
Apr. 27, 2010, 08:45 PM
In 2008 they had a beautiful round with 1 rail and a few time penalties.

Which is wonderful, but do please take a gander at the rest of his record. I don't think I'd be using a single almost but not quite clear round from two years ago to try and disprove something that is so obviously true, and has been true from the very beginning. He's a machine on XC because of that gallop, but has a hard time switching over to stadium. Not a big deal.

Apr. 28, 2010, 01:45 AM
Which is wonderful, but do please take a gander at the rest of his record. I don't think I'd be using a single almost but not quite clear round from two years ago to try and disprove something that is so obviously true, and has been true from the very beginning. He's a machine on XC because of that gallop, but has a hard time switching over to stadium. Not a big deal.
BTW, he also had a beautiful, either clear or 1 rail round at the Mandatory Outing at the Fork. He CAN jump a beautiful stadium round.

mcw
Apr. 28, 2010, 10:08 AM
I have no idea what Paddy's show jumping record is, but I think it stands to be said that the record doesn't always tell the whole story. You can't say a horse has a problem with XYZ based on his online record. There are many factors that go in to how a horse jumped on any particular day.

mustangsal85
Apr. 28, 2010, 10:20 AM
I have no idea what Paddy's show jumping record is, but I think it stands to be said that the record doesn't always tell the whole story. You can't say a horse has a problem with XYZ based on his online record. There are many factors that go in to how a horse jumped on any particular day.

I think his record fairly consistently shows that he isn't necessarily a fan of SJ. His XC record is consistently clean, so people say he is a XC machine. If his SJ record showed the same they would say he was a SJ machine. I don't think anyone can truly speculate on his affinity or lack of affinity for any particular phase without being on a first name basis with the horse. But I think if anyone were to make an educated guess, it would be that SJ just isn't his strong suit.

TyB
Apr. 28, 2010, 10:47 AM
His record reflects he's not a great showjumper, but he's capable of much more than he did at KY. He's capable of being in the top 10 at the biggest events and that's more than you can say for a lot of horses.

I wonder what kind of ride Amy Tryon would give Paddy showjumping? She definitely learned how to gallop down to a showjump and leave them alone, thanks to Poggio.