View Full Version : Any riders at Rutgers New brunswick?

Apr. 25, 2010, 08:07 PM
Hi! Going to Rutgers this coming fall as a freshman, starting the long road of getting my Doctor of Pharmacy :D So I'm thinking i'm probably not going to have the time to be riding everyday (I debated finding a cheap lease before). I still would like to ride though, and hopefully go to a couple of shows in the fall and spring. I'll be living on the Busch engineering campus in new brunswick.

Anyone know anything about the rutgers IHSA team? (is it IHSA? i'm not sure if it is) Where do they ride? What's their program like? How often do they ride? How about shows?

What about some good H/J barns in the area? I'm trying to think of a map in my head, and it seems like Duncraven and Hunter Farms are within a reasonable drive as long as I'm only going 1-3 times a week for a lesson. If I choose this route (as in not doing ihsa/school team) which is more likely, I am hoping for someplace that has more advanced school horses I guess--ones that can get around 3' that I could take to a show or two.What I like about these barns is that I know they both have their own shows throughout the year so I wouldn't have to deal with things like trailer fees, etc. But I'm sure there are more barns like this in the area, and I'd love to hear.

any current students or grads that want to tell me what they did during school? what made more sense for you and why?

Apr. 25, 2010, 08:21 PM
Here's the team's website...looks ilke a club team that does IHSA. http://www.wix.com/Rutgers_Equestrian/Rutgers-Equestrian-Team

Apr. 25, 2010, 08:24 PM
I am at Briarwood. Rutgers IHSA team does their lessons there, and they have plenty of school horses capable of 3', with tons of ISHA and regular shows on premises.

Apr. 26, 2010, 06:14 PM

May. 11, 2010, 11:09 PM
Hey Superpony

I graduated in 1999 and rode a few years as an alumni. The team rides at Briarwood Farm. Lessons once a week are standard and usually they will try to get you in at a time so you can carpool with others if you do not have transportation. If you have the means and time you certainly could go more than once. Also, if you do find a barn that is local that you prefer to go to that would be okay as well.

Kelly Lamont Francfort is the coach and is super organized and full of information. I think she is also the zone chair. You can contact her via the website mentioned earlier. They also have a facebook page.

Although its been a while, usually the shows are on Saturdays. The team will meet somewhere and usually has vans and willing carpool drivers. The team goes as a whole unless there is some emergency and stays together the whole day. It can be exhausting but a lot of fun.

There are mandatory meetings (forget how often, biweekly or monthly maybe) and also fundraising activities.

I rode as a junior and owned my own horse prior to going to Rutgers. I rode open level and had a fabulous time with the team. It certainly is a very different experience from doing your own thing but I would not have missed it for the world.

Best of luck next year!

Carrie D
May. 12, 2010, 02:04 PM
Hi Superpony,

I graduated from what was formerly known as Cook College in 2005. My original intention was to ride on the team. Instead I ended up getting involved in this:

It was a reserach class based on equine nutrition. For almost my entire 4 years there, I took 3-6 credits of it each semester. Most days it involved feeding the babies morning and afternoon, handling them, and training them basic ground manners. A few times a semester we had glucose trial days that involved drawing blood samples over a period of time. At the end of the year the babies are auctioned off to private homes and we select a new batch to bring in the following year. I even got the chance to fly out to North Dakota to select the babies being brought back. It is fun to get credit for college and to play with horses at the same time. Most importantly because of the program I end up with:

North Dakota:

He just turned 6 yesterday :D! There are other equine research programs there as well. The other big one is the equine physiology class that works with standardbreds and treadmills. If you have any questions about Rutgers, I would be happy to answer them.