PDA

View Full Version : Another CANTER Cutie Confo Critique, UPDATE: I rode today!

lesgarcons
Apr. 25, 2010, 04:13 PM
I saw this mare on CANTER PA and I am very taken with her. She's pretty much exactly what I'm looking for--only about 500 miles too far away. Maybe posting her here will help her find a home. On the other hand, if anyone wants to haul her to IL for cheap, then let's talk. :winkgrin:

Her name is Mecke Me Music, and she's 5. Here is her page (http://canterusa.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2101:update-42410-price-reduced-mecke-me-music&catid=58:pa-trainer-listings&directory=279) with her pics.

CR Gorge Girl
Apr. 25, 2010, 04:32 PM
I really like her.. I would make sure that the "rounding of her ankle" is actually superficial. Her back is a little long, but not horribly. Her neck is a good length for her body and is lacking muscle, but that's expected.

jetsmom
Apr. 25, 2010, 04:56 PM
Love her shoulder. She looks like she would be a nice mover.

Christa P
Apr. 25, 2010, 05:22 PM
Nice pedigree to:

http://www.equineline.com/Free-5X-Pedigree.cfm?page_state=ORDER_AND_CONFIRM&reference_number=7465612&registry=T&horse_name=Mecke%20Me%20Music&dam_name=Musical%20Score&foaling_year=2005&nicking_stats_indicator=N

Very little inbreeding, no Mr. Prospector, and very little of the Northern and Native Dancer. She would probably make a nice outcross for most TB stallions.

Christa

kookicat
Apr. 25, 2010, 07:17 PM
Pretty girl- love the big engine on her! Nice shoulder angle, nothing awful about her legs (excluding the rounding- ditto on getting that checked out).

There's a ride sharing thread in off course.... ;)

rideforthelaurels16
Apr. 25, 2010, 07:32 PM
Out of curiosity (I'm not super educated about TB bloodlines, but would like to be!), why is Mr. Prospector/Northern Dancer/Native Dancer an undesirable in the pedigree? I had always thought they were good names to see - please enlighten me!
That's a very cute mare!

jetsmom
Apr. 25, 2010, 08:06 PM
I think Mr P, because he tended to throw crooked front legs. Plus he was bred to umpteen million mares, so it seems like everyone has that bloodline.

KBEquine
Apr. 25, 2010, 08:21 PM
She caught my attention, too, when she was first posted. We look for cross-purpose mares, i.e., we need to think they match at least one of our stallions on paper for a race horse & also, could make a nice show-horse or show horse mamma. She's a kinda-good-but-not-quite-perfect-match-for-our-race-horse-stallions, but she's nice on paper & in pictures - and definitely meets the sporthorse part, for us.

I haven't yet ruled her out (but if you would be so kind as to buy her, it would make life simpler! :winkgrin:) AND if you are truly serious but need more/different pictures . . . PM me & I'll be happy to go get them for you (so I don't buy her, myself).

By the way, rideforthelaurels, there's nothing wrong with having those names in a pedigree - each has contributed significantly to the breed. But they were so popular & used so much, that the vast majority of TBs today have them multiple times in a pedigree, meaning you need to be careful about adding TOO much of a good thing via inbreeding.

danceronice
Apr. 25, 2010, 09:30 PM
Native Dancer/Northern Dancer and ESPECIALLY Raise a Native (sire of Mr. P) are not bad, once or twice, but when you start crossing back on them, RAN in particular is the suspected culprit in a lot of modern American TBs being big, pretty, fast in a sprint and with ankles that explode like a light bulb dropped on concrete. If I see him three and four times over in a horse I'd consider breeding or who has any hint in their racing record of there being soundness issues, I'd pass. This mare doesn't have any of that. The only inbreeding in the first five is to Princequillo, five generations back, and on separate sides of the pedigree. And she's really nice looking. I would say if that rounded ankle vets clean, go get her!

lesgarcons
Apr. 25, 2010, 09:54 PM
I haven't yet ruled her out (but if you would be so kind as to buy her, it would make life simpler! :winkgrin:) AND if you are truly serious but need more/different pictures . . . PM me & I'll be happy to go get them for you (so I don't buy her, myself).

PM sent. I figured if one person enabled me on this thread, I'd call about her. :D

mvp
Apr. 25, 2010, 10:13 PM
There were lots of these babies around the NorCal H/J world 15-20 years ago. They were big bodied and I think they were also known for their good minds. I had a Princequillo granddaughter, and these things were true of her. An older trainer saw her and asked about that stallion in her background.
I bred that mare to a DWB (who was also known for a nice mind) and got a labrador retriever in a horse suit.

netg
Apr. 26, 2010, 01:34 AM
There were lots of these babies around the NorCal H/J world 15-20 years ago. They were big bodied and I think they were also known for their good minds. I had a Princequillo granddaughter, and these things were true of her. An older trainer saw her and asked about that stallion in her background.
I bred that mare to a DWB (who was also known for a nice mind) and got a labrador retriever in a horse suit.

Princequillo and Ribot are the two horses who I keep seeing in the bloodlines of horses who I like. I notice them specifically because my OTTB has both - and he is an angel. He did eventing for 5 years and is now focusing on dressage with me, but I know we'll have to jump because each time I don't let him go over one he lets me know he really wants to. What I've seen/heard for both matches with what mvp said - nice body, shoulder, good legs, great mind.

mvp
Apr. 26, 2010, 10:31 AM
I really like the mare you picked out. I think she could be very useful for your purposes.

She does seem broad chested, as you would expect given the rest of her frame. And as she's stood up, she looks wide behind. Some people think horses with front legs set closer to the center line are more athletic. I don't know enough to say, so make of that what you will.

She does have the same big, "still" eye and the "I'm aware of the world, but standing here taking it all in" expression that my Princequillo mare had. I like it very much. My mare was affectionate, too, and was great mom from the very beginning of her maiden voyage into motherhood. She liked having babies.

lesgarcons
Apr. 26, 2010, 06:05 PM
KBEquine and her DH have been so kind as to offer to go see Mecke Me Music for me. They will be heading out there tomorrow morning, so I should have additional information and photographs then. I am so excited about this horse...now we will have to see how the ankle looks, and if she vets sound.

If anyone has any experience with the track vet(s) from Penn National, could you please PM me? Thank you. :)

Hauwse
Apr. 27, 2010, 08:39 AM
From the pictures I would want to check that she is not a little behind at the knee.

It could just be the picture or the way she is standing, but the left side picture she looks behind and the right looks like she might have some jewelry on her knee, nothing major, but 12 starts lifetime for a 5 year old (lightly raced) and she has ankles and a picture may be being painted for you.

She may be just fine, but if I were evaluating her, these would be the first questions I would have.

Good Luck!!

KBEquine
Apr. 27, 2010, 10:33 AM
From the pictures I would want to check that she is not a little behind at the knee.

It could just be the picture or the way she is standing, but the left side picture she looks behind and the right looks like she might have some jewelry on her knee, nothing major, but 12 starts lifetime for a 5 year old (lightly raced) and she has ankles and a picture may be being painted for you.

She may be just fine, but if I were evaluating her, these would be the first questions I would have.

Good Luck!!

Interestingly, I did a little research on the family & one branch is known for occasionally throwing back-at-the-knee, and we're very aware that lesgarcons is looking for an animal that is sound & will likely remain sound for jumping . . . so we'll be trying to get a lot of useful pictures of her legs.

We will be heading out soon!

EAY
Apr. 27, 2010, 08:51 PM
Interestingly, I did a little research on the family & one branch is known for occasionally throwing back-at-the-knee,

Can I ask which branch this is?

bornfreenowexpensive
Apr. 27, 2010, 09:04 PM
What A Pleasure is very good for nice movers and good jumpers. Used to be a lot of then in the hunter ring. You don't find them often.

Sir Gaylord is also in a lot of jumping horses as well.

That's the extent of my limited knowledge. I do think that looking at her....she will probably be a good mover. Nice looking mare.

lesgarcons
Apr. 27, 2010, 10:04 PM
Well, KBEquine and her DH took a look at Mecke Me Music today and really liked her. The ankle is much smaller than we expected and is really hardly noticeable. From what they saw of her on the hot walker, she is a nice mover and strides out well. She's been running for another trainer and came back in need of some groceries, and her feet need work, but overall she appears to be healthy and have good conformation.
I spoke to Denise at CANTER PA and she had nothing but good things to say about MMM's trainer, Frank. They've been working with him for a few years and have found him to be very honest, which was hugely reassuring for me since I may buy his horse sight unseen.
So, I called the trainer back to let him know I planned to schedule a PPE with a certain vet. He said that the vet works for him occasionally, but that he has nothing to hide and doesn't feel that it would be a conflict of interest at all. He even offered to make the appointment for me. He also assured me that he will hold the horse until I've made a decision whether or not to purchase based on the PPE. What a guy! We should know tomorrow what day the PPE will be. Please jingle for a clean PPE!

au_panda
Apr. 27, 2010, 10:06 PM
So KEBEquine, since you're going to be there, take a look at this one too (if she is at the same location).

http://canterusa.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1782:ghostly-spirit&catid=58:pa-trainer-listings&directory=279tp://

(he,he, couldn't resist :lol:)

KBEquine
Apr. 27, 2010, 10:25 PM
So KEBEquine, since you're going to be there, take a look at this one too (if she is at the same location).

http://canterusa.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1782:ghostly-spirit&catid=58:pa-trainer-listings&directory=279tp://

Wish I'd seen this before we left - we're already back. But heck, it's a short drive. We'll be happy to go look for you!

Remind me again . . . how do you feel about buckskins? :winkgrin:

KBEquine
Apr. 27, 2010, 10:49 PM
Can I ask which branch this is?

Absolutely - Sex Appeal, who was a 1/2 sister to Blush with Pride, who was the 2nd dam of Rags to Riches. Sex Appeal was also the dam of English/Irish champion 3 y.o., El Gran Senor.

BUT in fairness to the female family (and to avoid disparaging either Mecke Me Music or Rags To Riches), Sex Appeal probably inherited the trait from her sire (Buckpasser) and not her dam. Buckpasser's son Buckaroo was known for passing it, too.

While back-at-the-knees is sometimes considered the kiss of death in race horses, tough long-time competitor John Henry was back at the knees & it didn't seem to slow HIM down any!

au_panda
Apr. 28, 2010, 02:26 AM
Wish I'd seen this before we left - we're already back. But heck, it's a short drive. We'll be happy to go look for you!

Remind me again . . . how do you feel about buckskins? :winkgrin:

Ah ya' got me. Wish I were close enough to go see her with you. But alas, me pocketbook has nothing but moths at the moment.

danceronice
Apr. 28, 2010, 11:41 AM

http://www.equibase.com/static/chart/pdf/PEN042410USA3.pdf

This Ghostly Spirit? I would want a big discount off $2499 for a horse who's last chart says "vanned off" unless I got a REALLY clean PPE.

au_panda
Apr. 28, 2010, 12:15 PM
I've already had one that was "vanned off" from her final race. According to my contact, it could have been that she bled a very small amount which always results in being vanned off. There was nothing wrong with her legs and she certainly wasn't lame. Frankly, in today's market, if she were on the West Coast, that mare would be a difficult sell at that price; maybe you all back East are willing to pay more for OTTB's.

Not sure how much money you want to spend on a PPE; out here, it's easy to double the price of the horse with vet charges. If, as a buyer, you're not comfortable with your ability to evaluate conformation and injury issues and you are not willing to lose the entire price of the horse due to later surprises, the OTTB market, directly from the track, is a risky shopping venture. I think this is a major part of what makes finding homes for these horses so difficult.

Hauwse
Apr. 28, 2010, 10:15 PM
http://www.equibase.com/static/chart/pdf/PEN042410USA3.pdf

This Ghostly Spirit? I would want a big discount off $2499 for a horse who's last chart says "vanned off" unless I got a REALLY clean PPE.

This would be the result of bleeding. And bleeding can be caused by a zillion different things.

KBEquine
Apr. 28, 2010, 10:50 PM
Actually, one of our best racing broodies was vanned off "in distress" about half-way through her racing career. After, she went on to either create or equal a course record (and to earn the rest of the $160k+ she earned.)

Being vanned off could indicate catastrophy -- or nothing, at all.

Mamy
Apr. 28, 2010, 11:16 PM
Have you figured out Hauling yet? Where are you in IL? I might be able to help.. I need to get out to Ill to visit my sister......Amy

MintHillFarm
Apr. 29, 2010, 10:23 AM
I have one that was vanned off in his first race; it was a steering issue - he just didn't know how to turn left very well.
The trainer said the horse turned right on the first turn and went out for a hot dog...after a few schools the horse went on to win a couple before he came to me.

danceronice
Apr. 29, 2010, 12:35 PM
Which is why I would want to know EXACTLY what the horse was vanned off for. Especially with "stopped" before that, which on a chart means she just quit on the rider. My horse ran on Lasix, doesn't bother me as I'll never ask him to do anything that is likely to prompt a bleed. But nowhere does it say that's why she was vanned off, so I would know that only if I asked the trainer.

And no, that's a high OTTB price for out East, au_panda, at least for one fresh off the track. From what I've seen, too, they're usually cheaper out here--I've seen some Cali CANTER horses with prices that just sound nuts to me ($3k+.) For a mare with superclean legs and spectacular bloodlines I'd consider paying $3000, if I planned to breed her, or for one started under saddle off the track. Not for much else. There are too many that are sound, sane, and going for $1500 or less. (I feel guilty about how little I paid, really. Lucky's mind is worth his weight in gold.)

lesgarcons
Apr. 29, 2010, 03:07 PM
Mecke Me Music is having a PPE today. I am so nervous! I really have things to do before work tonight, but I'm frozen in this spot. I'm afraid if I move I'll jinx things. Please jingle for a sound horse.

danceronice
Apr. 29, 2010, 03:08 PM
Jingling like crazy!

cottagefarm
Apr. 29, 2010, 04:09 PM
Jingle, Jingle. Hope it works out for both of you :)

lesgarcons
Apr. 29, 2010, 05:11 PM
Well, the vet called back and the horse was off in her right front when he jogged her. He said he didn't even have to flex her to get her to be off in that leg, and that when he did flex her, it didn't make her any worse. I called the trainer to see if she'd worked today, or knocked herself in the stall (wishful thinking), and he was really distant with me, and basically just said, "ok, bye."

Thankfully the vet didn't charge me anything because he didn't have to do anything to get the horse to be lame. He's an awesome guy, I highly recommend him based on my limited dealings with him-PM me for his name. I did call the vet back and leave a message asking if he thinks it could be an abscess, as the owner did mention to me that the horse is prone to abscesses in the R front. I still don't think I would take her if she is that abscess prone, but I guess I just wanted to know.

I am really disappointed, since I really liked this horse. But I guess everything worked out a little too well for her to be sound. :) Thanks for the critiques and jingles.

danceronice
Apr. 29, 2010, 05:14 PM
:(

Keep looking, though--there are always more OTTBs out there.

MintHillFarm
Apr. 29, 2010, 05:27 PM
Oh, I am sorry about that!!

If it could be an abcess, and the vet agrees, maybe the trainer would really give you a deal on her since she is taking up the stall - he likely would want to get her a home.

It may be worth trying? I'd make a really low offer if I liked her that much.

lesgarcons
Apr. 29, 2010, 05:38 PM
Oh, I am sorry about that!!

If it could be an abcess, and the vet agrees, maybe the trainer would really give you a deal on her since she is taking up the stall - he likely would want to get her a home.

It may be worth trying? I'd make a really low offer if I liked her that much.

I was definitely thinking about that. The trainer's attitude on the phone surprised me a little, though. It seemed like he didn't want anything to do with me, even though I was very polite and obviously hopeful he'd give some easy explanation. If the vet gets back to me and agrees it's possible, I might go ahead with the xrays. On the one hand, she's off on the side where she has an 'ankle', which is discouraging. On the other, flexing didn't affect her at all, which might point to the problem hoof. I don't know, this may be a sign that I shouldn't try to buy a horse from 600 miles away sight unseen. :)

enjoytheride
Apr. 29, 2010, 05:49 PM
Dealing with a horse with chronic abscess I would have to say that I would pass.

mvp
Apr. 29, 2010, 08:37 PM
Give it 48 hours.

Think about how you feel about taking risk.

If you are still interested, call the trainer back all casual and friendly like the "distant call" never happened. You like the mare, want to know if she got better or worse/they happened to find an abscess.

If the trainer didn't do diddly and says she's either better or worse, have the vet do flexions, hoof testers and radiograph that danger zones in that leg. Instruct him to stop if he finds the (likely) cause of lameness and it's not the abscess.

My point is that in 48 hours either someone will have figured out why she is lame or the abscess would have gotten worse and told them.

Maybe the trainer was embarrassed, disappointed and caught a little off-guard when you called. This is why if you call back as if that never happened, you might get somewhere.

SuperSTB
Apr. 29, 2010, 09:02 PM
Give it 48 hours.

Think about how you feel about taking risk.

If you are still interested, call the trainer back all casual and friendly like the "distant call" never happened. You like the mare, want to know if she got better or worse/they happened to find an abscess.

If the trainer didn't do diddly and says she's either better or worse, have the vet do flexions, hoof testers and radiograph that danger zones in that leg. Instruct him to stop if he finds the (likely) cause of lameness and it's not the abscess.

My point is that in 48 hours either someone will have figured out why she is lame or the abscess would have gotten worse and told them.

Maybe the trainer was embarrassed, disappointed and caught a little off-guard when you called. This is why if you call back as if that never happened, you might get somewhere.

This and sometimes trainers run hot and cold when dealing outside the track circles. I always have to explain to private buyers looking at track horses that a far share of trainers have a million reasons *not* to deal with private buyers so just take the hot/cold attitude with a grain of salt. I always tell people- be clear, direct, friendly, don't pester, and understand that they are literally running in the mode of 'time is money'.

I betting he's already viewed a time loss so he's probably hesitant on putting anymore time to the horse sale.

KBEquine
Apr. 29, 2010, 09:54 PM
I betting he's already viewed a time loss so he's probably hesitant on putting anymore time to the horse sale.

Just to add . . . the mare wasn't "off" when we saw her earlier this week. BUT even then, the trainer was very clear that the mare had an (undiagnosed) issue with that right front - couldn't keep shoes on it. He suggested several times to us that the OP x-ray it.

BUT I also think he didn't think there was anything really wrong with it. I bet he was surprised (maybe embarrassed) that she trotted off lame in front of the vet. He was very adamant the mare was sound - and I think he believed in her.

BUT the trainer isn't the owner & I don't know how much the owner is willing to put into this mare, whose race career is over.

I'd love for this nice mare to find a forever home, she was that nice & kind. But it would be hypocritical to suggest to someone else that they should buy her.

I don't know that she is right for a broodmare (i.e., I wouldn't want to put the money into vetting her to try to figure out if the issues are inheritable, or not -- and I wouldn't want to breed her, if I didn't know. So couldn't suggest that someone else should take a risk that I wouldn't.)

I really like her. BUT if I was the OP & looking at her as a riding horse - I'd need to know whether that front leg could take the strain of landing from a jump. And with the OP 600 miles away -- and with so many nice horses available closer to her, I'm not sure I'd pursue the matter, if I were her.

(Even though having met the mare, I understand why she "calls" to the OP.)

Did I mention that when you meet her, this is a charismatic mare?

lesgarcons
Apr. 29, 2010, 10:24 PM
I am sorry I didn't get this up earlier. The trainer called me back about an hour after I updated the thread. He was super nice and said that he understood if I didn't want to purchase the horse, but that the vet examined the wrong mare. The trainer was unable to be there for today's exam, because he has a horse in the 1st race and had errands to run before coming back. I know this is true because the vet told me this on the phone before he even went to the barn. The trainer said that he had never seen this mare jog off on that leg before, so he called the vet. The vet told him he examined the mare in stall 33, when Mecke Me Music is in stall 31.

So, I am very leery about this. It sounds too good to be true. But, since I've invested nothing at all, I agreed to have the vet look at the correct horse tomorrow.

Here are the reasons why I think the trainer is telling the truth:
1. KBEquine JUST looked at this mare, and she was not unsound on Tues.
2. The vet told me that the mare had standing wraps on, which we both thought was weird since the trainer KNEW we were doing a PPE today. Also MMM hasn't worked in 2 months, so she wouldn't have wraps b/c of exercise, etc.
3. I really trust this vet, and I can't imagine he would go along with anything uncouth.
4. The trainer has worked with CANTER a lot and comes highly recommended.

However, it sounds a little too good to be true! I am going to call the vet tomorrow with a complete description of MMM, including a cut on her hip that Kim captured on photo. I am also going to ask him to look at and write down her tattoo, so we can confirm it's the correct horse.

My question is, am I crazy to believe this? I know mixups can happen at the track, but I really don't want to be taken and end up with a lame horse. Any advice you can offer about how I can protect myself in this transaction would be immensely appreciated!

Also, if the trainer is telling the honest truth, I can't believe we're back to square one! My ol' heart can't take any more excitement over this horse.

jetsmom
Apr. 29, 2010, 10:40 PM
With a tattoo, ID is easy. Vet can confirm ID of correct horse. Have him re do it. She sounds sweet, and the horse having never been off would account for owners/trainers "distancy" phone conversation. May have thought you were trying to say she's off to negotiate price, or was truly confused.

brightskyfarm
Apr. 29, 2010, 10:45 PM
I've already had one that was "vanned off" from her final race. According to my contact, it could have been that she bled a very small amount which always results in being vanned off. There was nothing wrong with her legs and she certainly wasn't lame. Frankly, in today's market, if she were on the West Coast, that mare would be a difficult sell at that price; maybe you all back East are willing to pay more for OTTB's.

Not sure how much money you want to spend on a PPE; out here, it's easy to double the price of the horse with vet charges. If, as a buyer, you're not comfortable with your ability to evaluate conformation and injury issues and you are not willing to lose the entire price of the horse due to later surprises, the OTTB market, directly from the track, is a risky shopping venture. I think this is a major part of what makes finding homes for these horses so difficult.

Most of the horses bought are then sold for 4-5x their price to the event/show markets... many are sold within months of purchase... not a bad flip I'd say.
One gal comes in for specific size/geldings for less than $1000 and sells for $15000 within 3 months, but then, she has those kind of clients.....
I always am saddened when folks think these thoroughbreds are wothless just because they are too slow for racing ....

JMO

bornfreenowexpensive
Apr. 29, 2010, 10:55 PM
My question is, am I crazy to believe this? I know mixups can happen at the track, but I really don't want to be taken and end up with a lame horse. Any advice you can offer about how I can protect myself in this transaction would be immensely appreciated!

Also, if the trainer is telling the honest truth, I can't believe we're back to square one! My ol' heart can't take any more excitement over this horse.

VERY easy to see that sort of thing happening. Have the vet look at her....and fingers are crossed for you. She looks like a classy mare.

MHM
Apr. 29, 2010, 11:03 PM
With a tattoo, ID is easy. Vet can confirm ID of correct horse. Have him re do it. She sounds sweet, and the horse having never been off would account for owners/trainers "distancy" phone conversation. May have thought you were trying to say she's off to negotiate price, or was truly confused.

This sounds about right to me. That's the beauty of the tattoo- you know they can't fugde the age or the identity.

Good luck!

lesgarcons
Apr. 29, 2010, 11:18 PM
Thanks guys. Sorry if I'm freaking out over this, today has been a bit of a roller coaster. I am off to work, and since I work at a bar, I hope to enjoy a clandestine adult beverage during my shift. Tomorrow we are bringing my old mare out of retirement 2.5 hours away to a barn near my home. I am thrilled and this will take my mind off agonizing about MMM for a little while. It may be late tomorrow evening, but I will keep everyone posted on the results of the real PPE. I know you're probably about jingled out on this one, but if you can give us one last little shake for an easy trailer ride for my old gal and a clean PPE, I'd really appreciate it. ;)

ottb_dressage
Apr. 29, 2010, 11:51 PM
Jingles for both a clean ppe and safe easy ride for your old gal. Funny I saw this thread...I was just looking at the CANTER site and saw MMM and thought what a nice horse she looked like. It would be so cool if she vetted clean and you took her home, because I'd love to keep up on how she does as a sporthorse :) Absolutley best of luck, and I'll be waiting on pins and needles for your update tomorrow evening!!

KBEquine
Apr. 30, 2010, 12:10 AM
Hey. You know I'm jingling for you!

redlight
Apr. 30, 2010, 09:48 AM
I think it is meant to be that you get this horse so will be thinking positive vibes for you and MMM today!

inquisitive
Apr. 30, 2010, 10:08 AM
Dealing with a horse with chronic abscess I would have to say that I would pass.

Totally have to agree with this as I have one now (bought him when he had just recovered from an abscess and he gets them all.the.time). This is a mute point if it turns out that was the wrong horse. :)

Also, make sure the vet agrees the horse he vets today is different or get a blood workup, otherwise you could be dealing with some cover up. I totally do not know the trainer/owner and am just saying it happens; I don't want to accuse the trainer/owner of ANYTHING. Just remember to cover your back and try to stay as objective as possible. I know it gets really hard when you're eagerly awaiting the new love of your life :lol:

Really hope things go well!

MintHillFarm
Apr. 30, 2010, 11:04 AM
I could see the mix up happening. I'd certainly vet the correct mare and make sure the Vet checks the tatoo to the papers...

Good luck and please update when you know!!!

KayPink
Apr. 30, 2010, 11:08 AM
I really have this feeling now that you're meant to have this horse!!! Sending you lots of jingles!!!!

caffeinated
Apr. 30, 2010, 02:07 PM
Definitely have my fingers crossed for you. Mix-ups like that DO happen, so here's hoping it's the truth and that things are good.

:) Good luck!

tenacity
Apr. 30, 2010, 02:33 PM
Enjoying following this! I agree that the mix-up seems understandable. Wishing you the best of luck! Jingling and looking forward to the update!

lesgarcons
Apr. 30, 2010, 11:43 PM
MMM got her PPE today and everything looks good!! The vet apologized for getting the wrong stall number and described every scar on the horse, so I felt confident that yesterday was just a mix-up.

The vet said that her ankle is an small, cold osselet that isn't bothering her. He saw the rt front foot as a small issue and told me that she would need to have glue-on shoes on her front feet all the time. She was a teensy bit ouchy on the hard ground, since she hasn't had shoes on in 2 months and her rt foot has some cracks, but he was pretty confident that with proper shoeing the foot wouldn't pose any issues, even for jumping.

We are having x-rays tomorrow, hopefully, or Tuesday if the vet is really busy. If the foot doesn't show any internal issues, then I'll be bringing her home soon!!

Also, I am happy to report that my mare had an easy trailer ride and seems to be settling in to her new home extremely well. This is getting long, but I wanted to tell everyone about the power of jingles:
1. Today was probably the windiest day I've ever experienced. My girl was completely freaking out at her old barn, whinnying and dancing around in the cross ties. Every horse out there was screaming and pacing in the turnouts. The trailer arrived, and it's a 3 horse slant with 2 horses on it that are also freaking out. The trailer was shaking around like a carnival fun house from the wind and the horses. Sahhara has not been on a trailer in 3 years, and before that was maybe trailered 5 or 6 times in the 11 years I've had her. Plus, she was already completely worked up. Between the small remaining slant space, the wind, and the other horses pawing the trailer down, I thought we had no chance in hell of getting my horse on. But Sahhara pranced around for maybe 3 minutes, sighed, and hopped right aboard.
2. Like I said, Sahhara was a basketcase at her old barn. She has been on full turnout for 3 years except in really inclement weather, and she loved it. When we put her in a stall for even an hour, like maybe waiting for the vet, she would whinny and pace herself silly. We could hardly get her to settle down and eat hay, and she would crib like crazy. At her new barn, she will be stalled at night. I was pretty worried that she'd be so bad that the barn owner would regret taking us as clients. But when I pulled up, about an hour after the trailer got there after getting lost multiple times, Sahhara was standing perfectly quietly in her stall, happily munching her hay. She never offered to crib. When I left for the night, she gave me the most contented look, like, "I really like this place." A true miracle!

ottb_dressage
Apr. 30, 2010, 11:56 PM
HOORAY on both accounts!!! So happy that all went well with the ppe, and continued fingers crossed/jingles for clean x-rays.
I fully believe in the power of jingles and I'm so glad they made a difference for your old gal. I can't wait to see pictures of MMM once she gets home to you :)

Sebastian
May. 1, 2010, 03:45 PM
Wow...what a roller coaster. I'm thinking good thoughts for you and MMM!!!

Seb :)

danceronice
May. 1, 2010, 07:11 PM
Wow, what a week! Jingling again!

KBEquine
May. 1, 2010, 07:55 PM
More jingles!

lesgarcons
May. 1, 2010, 10:30 PM
She is SOUND! The vet took and read the x-rays today and saw no problems. He said the calcification on the fetlock isn't even visible on the xrays, and the foot looks perfectly normal internally.

I will be overnighting a money order on Monday, and on Tuesday, barring any further complications, she will be mine!! I can't believe it!

Thanks so much for all the jingles! You guys helped make this happen, no doubt about it. :)

If anyone can recommend a hauler who runs PA to IL, please let me know. I emailed 7 different companies and only got one response, so the calling begins in earnest on Monday. Also, if anyone has any ideas for a barn name, please share! I was thinking Kismet because of how everything worked, but it's a little cheesy.

jetsmom
May. 1, 2010, 11:04 PM
YAY!!! CONGRATS!!!

redlight
May. 2, 2010, 09:29 AM
Great news!!!

SEPowell
May. 2, 2010, 09:56 AM
That's great! And KBEquine, how nice of you to look at her for Lesgarcons.

KBEquine
May. 2, 2010, 10:30 AM
That's great! And KBEquine, how nice of you to look at her for Lesgarcons.

It was my pleasure! If I have time, I'll be happy to go to either Penn or Charles Town to see a CANTER cutie for someone else, too. We're about half-way between the two tracks & have bought from each.

I'd also say that if you see one at Penn with Frank Rodriguez listed as the contact, you'll probably have the same experience as Lesgarcons (but hopefully without the case of mistaken identity the next time!). .

Lesgarcons, a couple options for you:

1. Brookledge runs right past Penn Nat'l to KY regularly (you'd have to ask them, but I think it is the Louisville area). IF it would be easier to find transportation from KY to IL, you could consider doing the trip in a couple legs.

2. Again on the 'to KY then IL' theory, I think I know a private hauler who might be going to KY soon - but it would be the Lexington area, not Louisville.

3. I can think of a couple Penn-based trainers who run at Penn & also at Mountaineer (WV), and others who also run at the Ohio tracks, etc. Frank might be able to help find someone who can get her part-way to you, if you can arrange for a trailer for a day trip (full day - I think I'm still talking about 5 hours from you).

Anyhow, there are my 1st several suggestions. PM me, if you want more information!

brightskyfarm
May. 2, 2010, 01:56 PM
http://www.uship.com/profile/msfarab/

ships from penn to all states.

MintHillFarm
May. 2, 2010, 08:58 PM
Great, Great News!:)
I am so happy for you and the mare.
Please post pix when you get her home!

danceronice
May. 2, 2010, 11:42 PM
Whee! Obviously meant to be!

KayPink
May. 3, 2010, 12:04 PM
Yay!!! Please keep us updated and post pictures!! I knew it was meant to be!

katerenee
May. 3, 2010, 12:44 PM
I have used Uship to connect with haulers several times. Also have had two OTTB from PA to WI, now one OTTB from PA to MI. Shouldn't be too hard to find someone to do it! Good luck, can't wait to see pics of her in her new home!

Sebastian
May. 3, 2010, 05:15 PM
Congrats!!! Love a happy ending. :winkgrin:

Quinn
May. 3, 2010, 06:15 PM
I am so excited for you!!! This is super news.

http://community.webshots.com/user/ballyduff

Sebastian
May. 5, 2010, 07:57 PM
Is she there yet? We need an update and PICS!!!

Seb ;)

lesgarcons
May. 5, 2010, 08:54 PM
She is not home yet. :) She is shipping Tuesday. My little sister is graduating college this weekend and I will be out of town. Frank told me there is no rush, so I'd rather her be in the place she is accustomed to a little longer, rather than in a new place alone.

I promise to have pictures as soon as she is home.

Sebastian
May. 5, 2010, 09:01 PM
Ok... as long as you PROMISE. :winkgrin:

Congrats again!

mortebella
May. 9, 2010, 11:55 PM
Hey,

I collect hauler info, against the day I bust a move and grab myself a CANTER cutie. If you still need suggestions I can forward you some, just PM me.

lesgarcons
May. 10, 2010, 08:57 PM
MMM will be here on Thursday. I got a call this morning from the haulers, who added a horse to her load and had to push things back a day. So I am going nuts waiting for her, but she will be here soon!

I'll take some pictures Thurs and post them that night. I really can't wait. :D

Mia412
May. 11, 2010, 01:08 PM
So glad to hear this great news! Of course I may be considered an CANTER enabler . . . have 3 PA CANTER cuties in my barn . . . may have been part of setting up my friends & clients with 7 or 8 more . . . in the past year or two or three. ;)

lesgarcons
May. 13, 2010, 07:59 PM
She's home, and she's gorgeous! :D

She arrived today at 11am and stepped off the trailer like she'd just been hauled down the street, instead of a 600+ mile, 2-day trip. The hauler made sure to tell me what a great horse she is and how well she behaved on the trip. So far, everyone who was come into contact with her has told me how awesome she is. :) I was also really impressed, because 2 weeks ago when I first inquired about her, her trainer told me how unhappy he was with her condition since she came back from running for another trainer. In the past 2 weeks, all her little scuffs and scrapes have healed, her coat is 100% better, and she's put on weight. She looks fantastic. Frank really takes great care of his horses!

I put her in her stall and she was totally calm. I tied her in the stall to brush her, and she was perfect. Once she was all clean, we went for a walk around the farm. She was looky, but she never offered to spook or be pushy at all. She saw horses, ponies, foals, cows, goats, roosters, etc and took everything perfectly in stride. I was so proud of her. She just exudes intelligence and calm confidence.

I really can't tell you guys how much I love this horse already. I was so worried that I wasn't going to click with her! Also, having groomed at the track before, I wondered whether she would strike me as the kind of horse I would have wanted to take home from work (if that makes sense). Well, I shouldn't have worried. She is perfect, and I am so excited about our future together!

She went from zero to "treat ho" in about 5 seconds, and was following me everywhere, making it really hard for me to get good photos. Here are the ones I have, and I'll try to get someone to hold her for me so I can get some better full body shots this weekend.

Looking out her window (http://www.flickr.com/photos/48263358@N02/4604692615/)

Taking in the sights outside (http://www.flickr.com/photos/48263358@N02/4605210420/in/photostream/)

A pretty bad full body shot (http://www.flickr.com/photos/48263358@N02/4605210960/in/photostream/)

A better body shot with the head cut out (http://www.flickr.com/photos/48263358@N02/4605210706/in/photostream/)

Nom nom nom (http://www.flickr.com/photos/48263358@N02/4604596071/in/photostream/)

I want to thank everyone again for their help and their jingles. KBEquine, I wouldn't have this wonderful horse if it weren't for you, thanks so much. I'll keep everyone updated on our progress. :D

MintHillFarm
May. 13, 2010, 08:47 PM
She looks great! Her coat is dappley and glows...
So glad it all worked out, and she is with you - it's fantastic news!

Lots of luck, good health and best wishes to you both...
Keep us all posted :)

KBEquine
May. 13, 2010, 09:12 PM
She's home, and she's gorgeous! :D

I want to thank everyone again for their help and their jingles. KBEquine, I wouldn't have this wonderful horse if it weren't for you, thanks so much. I'll keep everyone updated on our progress. :D

You're welcome - and now's as good of a time as any to say that it was a real leap of faith for us to go to the track on behalf of someone we didn't really know. The best result would have been for lescarcons to like this horse & the worst would have been that either the horse didn't live up to expectations - or lesgarcons didn't.

And then we got the best result!

Breathing a sigh of relief that everything went so well - kudos to lesgarcons for follow-through, to Frank & Danny as trainer/owner who wanted to get their race horse to the RIGHT home & made it so!

And to Mecke Me Music, for being, well, perfect. I feel like your godmother!

I really loved this girl's attitude & am very happy she found her next place to be loved!

Welcome home! :):)

jetsmom
May. 13, 2010, 10:30 PM
What a pretty girl! This story makes me so happy!:)

redlight
May. 13, 2010, 10:53 PM
I love happy endings!

MHM
May. 14, 2010, 12:53 AM
Yay! Glad to hear the happy update.

She already looks very content. :)

Seven
May. 14, 2010, 01:18 AM
She's lovely! :cool: Congrats!!

au_panda
May. 14, 2010, 12:57 PM
Happy news, great chapter in "the story" (hopefully more to come as she progresses), lucky MMM to find a great home. :)

lesgarcons
May. 15, 2010, 02:11 AM
Okay, I promise I won't post updates every single day. But today was...interesting, and I just had to post.

I got out to the barn right as MMM is finishing her dinner. I clean her up, pull her mane a bit, and then we set off for another walk around the farm. Again, she's a little looky, but everything seems fine. Then, two kids come flying up a hill towards us, screaming. I freeze and anticipate the horse jumping on my head (I'm 5'2. She's huge. She literally could do it.). MMM takes the kids in for about 20 seconds, standing very still. She snorts, and then quietly resumes figuring out what grass is about. Three seconds later, two barn workers come careening towards us on a 4 wheeler at about 60 mph. Again, I freeze, and my heart skips a beat. Again, she glances over, takes everything in, and goes back to sniffing the ground. So I am really proud of her. And really shaken.

We go back into the barn, and our walk takes us to the indoor. We explore, wandering over the little crossrail jump that's set up, and sniffing the mounting block. Everything seems great. She has been walking a little tenatively on the gravel, so I decide to let her off the lead and have her jog around a little bit to make sure she's moving soundly. I let her off, and she completely explodes, galloping all around the arena. The arena has 8' smooth wood walls around 9/10ths of its' perimeter, with the other 1/10th being two brick patios with a brick fence separating them from the arena. The gate is a 3-bar decorative wrought iron fence, about 4' tall. I am concerned about the gate since it's not very substantial-looking. MMM prances over, sniffs the gate and whinnies. "Okay", I think, "tragedy averted. She sees the gate." She canters around a bit, swapping leads left and right. She extended trots. She turns on the forehand. She turns on the haunches, at a gallop. "Wow, she sure is athletic", I think.

All at once, my little athlete is galloping full speed towards the gate. My heart stops. She shows no signs of slowing down. I pee my pants a little bit. Her 48-hour life with me flashes before my eyes. "I can't believe she's going to break all her legs before I can even sit on her back", I think. The gate grows smaller as she approaches it. There is concrete on the other side. I hold my breath. Then, at the last second, she executes a lovely sliding stop, snorts, and then takes off at an extended trot on the rail. I cannot believe it. I thank God, retrieve my heart from the spot on the ground where it's landed, and go catch her. She stands relatively quietly as I approach, although her eyes are alight. "You see what I did there?", she seems to say. My arms are so weak, I can barely hold the rope, but I walk her out for 20 minutes, approximately 4 times the length of her arena turnout. When we get back to her stall, I nervously feel her legs for heat or swelling, and she eyes me curiously. I think she's saying, "Lady, I'm a racehorse. A 5 minute canter in the indoor isn't going to kill me".

But the excitement nearly killed me. I had to sit in the car for awhile before heading home, marveling at the near-catastrophes and the fact that I think this horse may be smarter than me. I was wondering earlier if this mare had the 'look of eagles', and I guess she thought I needed to see a whole flock of them, all at once. She is really special, and I think owning her is going to be very exciting. :lol:

jetsmom
May. 15, 2010, 02:37 AM
Ha,ha! Too funny! They definitely can make your stomach drop, can't they, with their antics! Jet's done that to me when I've turned him out when the pasture was still a little wet. I swear he's going to break a leg. It terrifies me. She sounds very sensible though.

Sebastian
May. 15, 2010, 02:53 AM
OH, so glad she's home and you're loving her!!! Great story in the indoor, I can relate. :winkgrin: :yes: And, she looks great in the photos! Quite the looker. Congrats again on your new girl!!

p.s. and post all the updates you want, we don't mind. ;)

NorthFaceFarm
May. 15, 2010, 10:01 AM
Glad this worked out! She needs a barn name, you aren't calling herMMM to her face are you?

magicteetango
May. 15, 2010, 10:12 AM
In my mind, it's not "M M M", it's TripleM for some reason, and I do keep picturing you using it as a barn name! LOL. She is gorgeous, good luck with her!

MintHillFarm
May. 15, 2010, 10:34 AM
I think after the heart stopping adventure, it should be My oh My oh My...

I know that stomache to the feet feeling! She will be fine - do send more pix when you can.

lesgarcons
May. 25, 2010, 12:17 AM
I rode today!! It wasn't technically our first ride, since I jumped on yesterday and walked around the arena a few times, but it was our first real ride. We walked and trotted and did lots of circles, and she was perfect. She never offered to do anything bad. I am so proud of her! I didn't get any pictures today since my camera battery died, but I will try to get some Wed.

I have had her for 11 days, and she already w/t/c/halts on the lunge, cross ties, loads, clips, bathes, and is great in turn out. I am absolutely thrilled, she has a great attitude about everything and really wants to please.

Our barn has a show on June 6th and if she continues to be this good, I will probably enter her in the long stirrup w/t class, just for fun.

Oh, yeah, and she still doesn't have a name. I am giving myself until the end of this week to decide. I don't call her MMM :winkgrin:, I don't really call her anything at all. The barn stall chart has her listed as "No name", so I have to remedy this soon.

jetsmom
May. 25, 2010, 12:39 AM
How bout Emma, Emmie or Mimi as a barn name? Or Music,Muse Lyric or Lyrical?

It doesn't surprise me that she was good to ride. Most OTTB's I've been around are pretty BTDT when you first ride them and just need work on rhythm/bending/suppling, etc.

mvp
May. 25, 2010, 08:29 AM
For a big mare with a great personality and MMM? How about "MGM Grand" or some variation?

Great updates and pics. Here's what you need to realize about big mares who stayed sound on the race track. They aren't stupid. She has probably had a tough-enough body and a great mind that she used to take care of herself. In the ring? She's making decisions that feel right for her. Standing and watching the kids/guys? Ditto. Being an ass when free but well behaved under saddle? She's being smart and kind.

If you make her like you, put her in situations where things are interesting but not overwhelming as you have so far, she'll continue as she has. Sooner or later, she'll become that horse who goes out of her way to take care of you.

By the way, don't be surprised if in the next couple of weeks or month, she does become a little bit more rude or flightly. It will be temporary. She may be minding her manners now because she is a little unsure in the new place and is protecting herself by following the rules she knows. Some smart, well educated horses get perfect when they're insecure and then push the envelope a little when they relax some in the new job.

NeedsAdvil
May. 25, 2010, 10:29 AM
WOW! Look at those dapples! She is gorgeous and sounds just wonderful. Congrats!!!

ridingschmedly
Jun. 5, 2010, 07:43 PM
More updates! More updates! :) I've been watching intently from afar!

KBEquine
Jun. 5, 2010, 10:59 PM
Me, too!

piccolittle
Jul. 6, 2010, 05:44 PM
I want to hear how it's going- been watching from afar! Did you do the w/t class?