PDA

View Full Version : A HUGE Thank You and Praise to St. Augustine HT! (and embarrassing video)

Meredith Clark
Apr. 24, 2010, 10:36 PM
Today was my first HT of 2010 and Juice's second time out since he came off the track last year. I've always liked St. Augustine but had never competed there. Now that I have I have nothing but good things to say!

The entry process was SO easy, entry form and payment on line which I LOVE. Ride times were posted early and well spaced (LOVE me some 12pm dressage time!!).

The grounds were beautiful , there were plenty of clean port-a-poties all over the grounds, and there was a nice water area for the horses right in the middle of trailer parking, convenient to all.

The dressage judges were insightful and I saw them talk to every rider after the test. The jump courses were appropriate and ALL the volunteers were happy and encouraging.

Especially the stadium scribe...

SO Juice was a bit more game than usually in warm up, jumped me out of the tack a few times so I went in a bit nervous. He's learning to jump really well as long as I stay out of his face... well I didn't ride confidently and popped him too many times. He jumped the sweedish oxer really big and on landing my stirrup broke! :eek:

I had NO idea what to do, or what I was allowed to do under the rules but I knew I couldn't get off or cross my path. I thought about trying to finish the course with 1 stirrup but the broken one was dangling by his legs and I couldn't get it off.

THANKFULLY the stadium scribe came out to help me and we finished our course!

She was AMAZING especially since I was sweaty, smelling and TOTALLY frazzled at that point. :lol:

I have video of the whole thing but I'm not sure if i'm brave enough to post it...

THANKS AGAIN for a great horse show!

(oh.. and we went clear x-country and finished 3rd :D )

Videos: (be nice!!)

Stirrup Malfunction (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHhH04xybCw)

Redemption (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DU7kphEBAUY)

LexInVA
Apr. 24, 2010, 11:23 PM
Good for you!

SkipChange
Apr. 24, 2010, 11:26 PM
Way to stick to it!

Let's see that video! You can't say you have video and not post it, that's like against a rule or something! :D

Meredith Clark
Apr. 24, 2010, 11:28 PM
Thanks Lex... you would have been proud of my "holding on for dear life" ability

LexInVA
Apr. 24, 2010, 11:34 PM
As long as you're proud of yourself, that's all that matters. :) Don't forget to let us all know about your barn if there's any news.

Meredith Clark
Apr. 24, 2010, 11:35 PM
As long as you're proud of yourself, that's all that matters. :) Don't forget to let us all know about your barn if there's any news.

Barn's here boo... where have you been?? :winkgrin:

Meredith Clark
Apr. 24, 2010, 11:44 PM
Way to stick to it!

Let's see that video! You can't say you have video and not post it, that's like against a rule or something! :D

Ok I caved and posted it :dead:

LexInVA
Apr. 24, 2010, 11:51 PM
Barn's here boo... where have you been?? :winkgrin:

Sadly, not at all where I'd like to be this week. We'll talk about that later though and you can fill me in on the details. :yes:

retreadeventer
Apr. 25, 2010, 08:44 AM
Meredith you are brave and Juice is a really good guy! Glad you went on! Keep working by the end of the season I want to see another video and we'll compare! How great you are!

Ajierene
Apr. 25, 2010, 09:02 AM
Yeah, I was telling Ali what a great horse you have - and look at him! You have your stirrup malfunction and he's all 'why did we stop jumping mom?'

My mare would have been, 'OMG! There is something dangling at the side of me, obviously it is a snake attempting to bite me! I must FLEE!!!!' Ok, probably not so bad anymore, but hey!

I must agree that St. Augustine was a great place to start the season. We did not have quite the spectacular ride you had, but I liked the fact that there were 'Training options' flagged on the novice course. My mare did VERY well considering her current state of 'fluffiness'. I am very proud of her.

Funny story: Jump 8 is in the woods. You come up, make a long 180 degree turn to get to the jump. About two strides after the jump, the path narrows. Your fine if you jump the jump straight and pretty much in the middle. So what do we do? We misjudge when to turn a bit and end up at a bit of an angle. Mare goes flying over the jump and wants to gallop off...right into the trees. We managed to turn in time, but I did run through some branches at the corner where the path narrows. Yet another reason to wear a helmet! Branch deflection!

BeverlyAStrauss
Apr. 25, 2010, 10:59 AM
Thanks to everyone for coming- Meredith, he looks super! You both do- but were you considering finishing the SJ with the iron dangling? It looked like it LOL! Glad you got it fixed and finished well, sorry I missed you-

Ajierene, what division were you in? How did you think the course rode otherwise? I had fun too, had a green sticky kind of ride (me, not him) for our first novice and first time out this season-- I have to learn that Wish knows what he is doing now.

Hannah Simmons (Pickering Hunt PC) won both the TB and PC awards with her final score of 27.6 in Novice Rider. We saw lots of MAHR horses- Suzanne on Maria Canela (doing the whole event in her exercise saddle)- Lisa and Tornado Chaser- Kathi and Jewles Relic- Dyanna on Broad Steet- I missed Dyanna on Ace of Spades, and Kathy on Field Mischief- another former MAHR horse was also there- Against All Odds- I actually saw him and thought he looked familiar but didnt know his event name and put the two together-Ali told me- he was one of our early horses, now in a new home....

I was also very proud of my mare Loley, who is now leased to Cassie in NJ- she had a wired dressage apparently, but jumped beautifully- quieter and happier than she ever went with me- Cassie has done a great job with her! I was such a proud mom....

Anyway, thank you everyone! Dont forget to check out the event photog's page photographicsdei.com- pics are up- We are going to post the results and a shutterfly album- we have a great friend/volunteer who is a camera buff and she set up a whole page- Hope to have that all on the SAPC site later today...right now I need to go give Wish some more carrots and tell him how wonderful he is.....

Meredith Clark
Apr. 25, 2010, 12:48 PM
Thanks to everyone for coming- Meredith, he looks super! You both do- but were you considering finishing the SJ with the iron dangling? It looked like it LOL! Glad you got it fixed and finished well, sorry I missed you-

Bev- I couldn't tell how it was connected so I thought if I jogged a bit it might fall down and then I could finish sans stirrup. I tried to jog off but it wouldn't come off and I realized it would knock into him.

Do you have the contact info for the Stadium Scribe? I'd really like to send her a thank you card!

BeverlyAStrauss
Apr. 25, 2010, 12:50 PM
I will get it! yeah, if you had tried to jump with that hanging he either would have bucked or it would have knocked your teeth out!

Meredith Clark
Apr. 25, 2010, 12:52 PM
Meredith you are brave and Juice is a really good guy! Glad you went on! Keep working by the end of the season I want to see another video and we'll compare! How great you are!

Thanks!

I can't say this enough but he is the brains of our operation! :lol: After the stadium debacle I was totally shaken and he just coasted around that x-country course like he'd done it all his life. There was a 90 deg right turn up towards the horse field to the metal pipe and I don't even think I steered him! He just sort of landed, saw the next jumps and was like "i gots this mom!"

Considering he came off the track last year, did nothing all summer because I didn't like him, got his butt dragged out to Olde Hope's Elem division in the fall and then sat again all winter I don't think he's doing that bad! :lol:

Just recently I've gotten more serious with him and work, grad school and life permitting will continue!

Ajierene
Apr. 25, 2010, 01:42 PM
Ajierene, what division were you in? How did you think the course rode otherwise? I had fun too, had a green sticky kind of ride (me, not him) for our first novice and first time out this season-- I have to learn that Wish knows what he is doing now.

The entire day ran really well. I was in Open Novice.

Dressage - the rings are in a nice area, with a big warm up area. The judge (at least at ring 1) exiting her vehicle to add some feedback. She made me laugh because she got out, started talking, then said 'your horse is really wide'. I started to reply with the usually 'winter insulation' comment due to her being still out of shape and she said 'no, she's build WIDE!' Yes, my thoroughbred has been called a quarter horse before, thank you.

Stadium - I loved having a swedish oxer there, nothing to big or intimidating, just different. The course ran well, no crazy turns or confusions, even though the jumps were used twice.

Cross Country - Like I said, really like having the training options. I enjoy the jaunt through the woods, with the added help of the arrows! It runs really well with no crazy turns. Jump 8 is not a crazy turn - but you have to be more careful about how you ride it, lest you end up in the woods...totally pilot error, not course design error. Overall, a really nice 'gallopy' course, as far as I am concerned.

BeverlyAStrauss
Apr. 25, 2010, 02:02 PM
Oh, and I forgot to mention the final MAHR horse- little Peppermint and Savannah doing the pre-elem- when we get the shutterfly album posted, you will see lots of pics of a smiling little girl and a pony with a big red bow in her tail LOL

I didnt think anyone was going to do the training Opt water but quite a few did- I didnt even try the ditch since he only ever did one last year at a FH schooling.

Mer, you made the xc look like a hunter round!
Aij, thanks for the feedback- using some sj fences twice we thought was a good idea for our volunteers (set up and take down) but we realized it is not a good idea for the jump crew anyway. I thought the swedish was pretty easy and inviting but several ppl were intimidated by it. What I couldnt figure was the first fence (brush with rails) causing stops- we thought that was very inviting...maybe horses just were not going?

Ajierene
Apr. 25, 2010, 03:01 PM
I rode the first fence like her butt was on fire because I figured my mare would look at it. We don't have much filler material at home, though, so I am aware she tends to look at filler. My personal experience is that my mare has more problems with filler on the first few jumps. After two or three jumps, she gets more into 'jump mode' and the bother her less. With it being the beginning of the season and the 'big scary' brush as filler - that may have been the issue.

I also rode jump 3/8 - the square oxer as well - two people before had problems jumping it as 8, not the other way. Not sure why. The first one had a refusal, then knocked all the rails on the second attempt. The second person also took almost all the rails down. I thought it was odd that only going one way it was a problem.

Meredith Clark
Apr. 25, 2010, 03:13 PM
. What I couldnt figure was the first fence (brush with rails) causing stops- we thought that was very inviting...maybe horses just were not going?

Guilty.

Juice was SO ready to jump stadium and I went in, got his beautiful canter going and 4 or 5 strides before that first fence choked him up.

He has NEVER stopped at a stadium fence and I had no reason to doubt that he'd do it and we were doing 2'9 courses with roll tops and crazy stuff on Friday night before the show!

For some reason that jump just got into my head :confused:

He didn't care about it at all and the only reason he popped it (as seen in my lovely video) is because I was holding onto his face.

SEPowell
Apr. 25, 2010, 04:55 PM
Meredith, you get the prize for most inopportune tack malfunction, but the prize for most embarassing day is mine! :lol:

I got lost twice on the way to the event resulting in my arriving too late to ride my practice dressage test, and no one needs practice in dressage more than moi
How-do-I solve-a-problem-like-Maria-Canela convinced me she was way too stressed for me to wear spurs, so I took them off resulting in the s.l.o.w.e.s.t. dressage test in history
I got lost again, but this time in stadium, and missed that slight angle that would have taken me to the sweedish oxer and therefore missed that altogether
And yes, I did ride the whole event in an exercise saddle

Luckily for me, Maria has a good sense of humor and carried me around cross country just for fun

I had a great time and wish I could have found my way to those of you who rode there and post here... But I'm sure if I'd tried to find you I would have gotten lost :lol:

Meredith Clark
Apr. 25, 2010, 05:31 PM
Meredith, you get the prize for most inopportune tack malfunction, but the prize for most embarassing day is mine! :lol:

I got lost twice on the way to the event resulting in my arriving too late to ride my practice dressage test, and no one needs practice in dressage more than moi
How-do-I solve-a-problem-like-Maria-Canela convinced me she was way too stressed for me to wear spurs, so I took them off resulting in the s.l.o.w.e.s.t. dressage test in history
I got lost again, but this time in stadium, and missed that slight angle that would have taken me to the sweedish oxer and therefore missed that altogether
And yes, I did ride the whole event in an exercise saddle

Luckily for me, Maria has a good sense of humor and carried me around cross country just for fun

I had a great time and wish I could have found my way to those of you who rode there and post here... But I'm sure if I'd tried to find you I would have gotten lost :lol:

:lol:

That's SO funny!

I've lived in Cecil County all my life and I used my GPS yesterday to find Unicorn Farm so I don't blame you there!

and trust me.. you didn't miss out on anything skipping the sweedish oxer except for the chance to jump it better than I did! :sigh:

So did you ride your horse straight from the track or did you just choose to compete in an exercise saddle ? :lol:

I was going to post a "who's going to St Aug" thread but I figured it would have gotten eaten up by all the Rolex talk!

Lets meet for Olde Hope or Fair Hill!

Ajierene
Apr. 25, 2010, 05:48 PM
Oh yes, when I was looking for direction, I googled Unicorm Farm and came up with some address on Telegraph Road. I thought to myself..that's not where I remember sending the check...

So, I looked on the website and got the Mitton Rd. address. The entire drive that morning I was hoping I got the right one!

Apparently, I think the house may be on Telegraph Rd or something as there is only one Unicorn Farm and it does touch Telegraph Rd...maybe that is where the address was originally going to be before they decided the end of the side road was better or something. All I know is that I eventually ended up at the right place - breathed a sigh of relief as I neared the end of the lane and saw a bunch of trailers in a field.

BeverlyAStrauss
Apr. 25, 2010, 07:14 PM
Suzanne, did the dressage judge comment on your saddle? I meant to ask!

for the future, directions to Unicorn and a map are on the SAPC website:lol:

BeverlyAStrauss
Apr. 25, 2010, 07:18 PM
Photos are up:

photographicsdei.com

and some candids on this shutterfly album:

http://saponyclub.shutterfly.com/pictures

You can see little Peppermint there among others, and feel free to add your own album!

Oh, and sorry, most of those dressage pics are me---a shutterbug friend took them as well as the others and then did the shutterfly site

Bev

Meredith Clark
Apr. 25, 2010, 09:46 PM
Sweet Pics!

I think I may have to order the one of the purple oxer!

http://www.photoreflect.com/pr3/Orderpage.aspx?pi=078G00AE1D0000&po=0&pc=10

BeverlyAStrauss
Apr. 25, 2010, 10:23 PM
You have to get the swedish oxer one, as a memento!!

Meredith Clark
Apr. 25, 2010, 10:31 PM
You have to get the swedish oxer one, as a memento!!

:lol:

ps- my sister and I are going to do the 5k in May, thanks for the info in our competitors packet! (and the sticker!)

InstigatorKate
Apr. 26, 2010, 09:52 AM
What a good boy he was to stop after you lost your balance!!! 90% of horses would have taken that opportunity to go off at mach 10.....I think you've got a nce horse there.

SEPowell
Apr. 26, 2010, 04:05 PM
Suzanne, did the dressage judge comment on your saddle? I meant to ask!
No, she did not, but she did comment on Maria and was very kind and generous, saying she moved well but needed to pull it all together.

That was the most surprizing ride Maria has ever given me. For the past two months I've been asking her to slow down and only wore spurs to try to keep her straight. Then suddenly she said, "You want slow? I'll show you slow!" and for the first time I needed spurs to keep her going. :lol:

Lets meet for Olde Hope or Fair Hill!
Meredith, I would love to but I'll be in Western NY by then and won't be back in PA until around December. I'll watch for your posts on COTH to see how you and Juice do. Good luck! He looks like he's super game and loves his job. :)

BeverlyAStrauss
Apr. 27, 2010, 07:50 AM
I am headed to Olde Hope at the end of May- I need another inviting Novice to get me riding better and letting Wish go and do his job- when I evented all the time 20 years ago, I had that good ol safety seat, a solid base, and a good release --and now, unless I focus, I jump up the neck, plant my hands, and let my lower leg slip back- doing everything in my ability to hinder his jumping! He must be pretty forgiving, or else he doesn't know any better- by the end of last season at Beg Novice at Plantation I had it but it all flew out the window last weekend- guess it was nerves and being tired and the feeling I needed another week to be ready......I have my run out at the second fence on video- I let him drift left to get a little more room but then threw my body at him the last stride- uh duh. I guess that is why we keep riding and training and competing!

Meredith Clark
Apr. 27, 2010, 09:08 AM
What a good boy he was to stop after you lost your balance!!! 90% of horses would have taken that opportunity to go off at mach 10.....I think you've got a nce horse there.

Thanks! He's by FuPeg and they are known to have some nasty temperaments but I got off very lucky with him. We had a rough go when he first came off the track last year but it seemed like once he found jumping he was like "oh ok.. I get this.." and his whole demeanor changed.

Meredith, I would love to but I'll be in Western NY by then and won't be back in PA until around December. I'll watch for your posts on COTH to see how you and Juice do. Good luck! He looks like he's super game and loves his job. :)

Oh wow.. have a good trip! I guess Summer is the best time to be in W NY otherwise it'd be freeeezing.

I am headed to Olde Hope at the end of May-

If all goes planned I'm going to use Olde Hope as his move up to Beg Novice. My goal is to do Seneca's rec. in June (at BN) so we need to work on our dressage and show jumping a lot! I'm not too worried about dressage b/c I could care less about winning, I just want to take it slowly and correctly with him.