PDA

View Full Version : why did Amy Tryon retire on XC?

NRB
Apr. 24, 2010, 08:41 PM
On the live feed they just showed her walking off course, but gave no explanation.

blackwly
Apr. 24, 2010, 08:42 PM
She had a couple stops... probably decided it was not her day. But why didn't she run Leyland at all? Looks like the WEG is not in the cards for her this year.

BigRuss1996
Apr. 24, 2010, 08:43 PM
Maybe her knee was bothering her...?

retreadeventer
Apr. 24, 2010, 08:44 PM
She had two stops to that point. R looks a lot better than E. She won't make that mistake again.

deltawave
Apr. 24, 2010, 08:56 PM
It wasn't their day. By retiring, she saves the horse for another day. It's the smart thing to do if you feel like something is NQR.

NRB
Apr. 24, 2010, 08:59 PM
Yea I get it that a R is better than an E but I didn't know that she had had the 2 stops. We were watching her go then suddenly she's retiring and we saw a R by her score no penalty pts. So were surprised.

paragonfarm
Apr. 25, 2010, 02:40 AM
she was told by the selectors to save Leyland for WEG

NCRider
Apr. 25, 2010, 08:37 AM
That would make sense. After last year's interesting entrance into the stadium, I could see why they'd want to get him in there again for dressage but maybe not feel he needed to do another cross country round. It's too bad about Coal Creek. From what they showed on the live feed he looked really steady and smooth, one of the smoothest rounds I saw. Anyone out there see the refusals? Were they ugly or just glance offs? I wonder if they retired early enough to reroute to Jersey?

deltawave
Apr. 25, 2010, 03:52 PM
They retired at the Squirrels, which I think was #17 or thereabouts. More than halfway 'round.

fooler
Apr. 26, 2010, 12:13 AM
I saw them from about 1st - 7th fences and they didn't look to be on the same page. He looked a bit sticky so I was not surprised about them retiring. Same for Dutton's last ride - not their day, so they retired.

dexhol
Apr. 26, 2010, 12:19 AM
It was just a simple glance off at the second of the squirrels. She retired, popped over it, then called it a day. With the other stop early on and several difficult combinations to go, it looked like the right decision.

barnboss
Apr. 26, 2010, 05:25 PM
I was with some friends of Amys while down at Rolex. She was told to save Leyland. He is experienced and they want him to be able to run well for WEG. Hes already got 4****'s under his belt. She just decided to retire Coal Creek because I think it just wasnt her day. Had a run out and a stop i think. Like everyone else said, and R looks better than an E! (:

Janet
Apr. 26, 2010, 09:37 PM
R looks better than an E! (:

Also, Rs don't trigger "loss of establishment" the way "E"s do.

SevenDogs
Apr. 26, 2010, 10:05 PM
Like everyone else said, and R looks better than an E!
Not to mention, sometimes it's just the right thing to do. I have mentioned this on other threads, but we really need to support riders who choose to retire when "it just isn't their day". It is as much a part of the sport as winning and I wince when I see these threads questioning a retirement like it is some huge deal.

Knowing when to retire is a really important part of the sport and shouldn't be treated like some big thing. It also goes a long way towards preventing accidents.