PDA

View Full Version : Who was Phillip Dutton talking to on the cell phone?

dogdays
Apr. 24, 2010, 09:13 PM
Who was Phillip Dutton talking to on the phone after he was held on course at Rolex? It didn't look as if he was retiring at that point until he got off the phone. Never saw that before.

Lori B
Apr. 24, 2010, 09:15 PM
the commentators speculated that he was checking in with Jan Byyny, who owns Waterfront, to see if he should call it a day or not. Again, SPECULATION, but seems likely enough to me. ????

Thoughts from more knowledgeable folks welcome.

riderboy
Apr. 24, 2010, 09:18 PM
I don't know but I suspect Jan Bynny who co-owns Waterfront to see if he should retire on course.

NRB
Apr. 24, 2010, 09:38 PM
he had to have made the decision to retire the moment he picked up the phone. Had he continued on after the phone conversation he would have been E'd because of unauthorized assistance.

BigRuss1996
Apr. 24, 2010, 09:40 PM
I don't know but he could have been DQ'ed for it. There is a rule against use of two way radios and cellphones while competing.

Laurel&HollyFarm
Apr. 24, 2010, 09:42 PM
he had to have made the decision to retire the moment he picked up the phone. Had he continued on after the phone conversation he would have been E'd because of unauthorized assistance.

My thought exactly. What was he thinking to have a phone on course.

retreadeventer
Apr. 24, 2010, 09:46 PM
It was a volunteers phone that he was using.

SkipChange
Apr. 24, 2010, 09:50 PM
Wait, what happened? He just asked a volunteer for a phone and made a phone call sitting on the horse mid-course? I'm so lost.

deltawave
Apr. 24, 2010, 09:54 PM
My guess is he initiated the call while on the hold, with the intention of telling Jan that he was planning to retire.

BigRuss1996
Apr. 24, 2010, 10:02 PM
Yup...it was hylerious! and not only was it on the live feed online it was on the big screen TV's in the field so everyone saw it both at the event and at home.

Wait, what happened? He just asked a volunteer for a phone and made a phone call sitting on the horse mid-course? I'm so lost.

JER
Apr. 24, 2010, 10:05 PM
Men don't like to ask for directions so I doubt that's what it was about.

One Star
Apr. 24, 2010, 10:09 PM
In either case, he used the electronic device before he chose to retire, so technically he could have been DQ'd under both USEF and FEI rules.

rabicon
Apr. 24, 2010, 10:14 PM
Was Waterfront not running well? Why was he choosing to reitre?

rideforthelaurels16
Apr. 24, 2010, 10:14 PM
I wonder if there's some sort of loophole - because he was riding someone else's horse, in this case Jan's, he was able to get permission to check in with her re: retiring? I would think after a fall like Oli's, and the lack of communication between him and Waterfront, he would want a good run up to the Hollows rather than the disruption of a hold, and in the name of safety, they may have allowed him to check in with the horse's regular rider. Just a guess?

Regal Grace
Apr. 24, 2010, 10:18 PM
He was waved down with a red flag by the volunteer in charge of the crossing point of the lane which you can get closer to the Normandy Bank. After he waited a few minutes he asked if someone had a cell phone so he could call the owners to see if they wanted to retire Waterfront (not him). He initially had trouble getting through but eventually did. So the owner (be it Jan or her parents who I think co-own Waterfront) made the decision not Phillip. Then he handed the phone back to the volunteer and made his way back to the direction of the start box. The only reason I know this was because I was standing at the crossing where Phillip and Waterfront were pulled up and there really is nothing more to it than that.

P.S. Phillip did ask who the rider was that fell and another person with a wakie talkie told him it was Oli but that is all.

Laurel&HollyFarm
Apr. 24, 2010, 10:21 PM
It was a volunteers phone that he was using.

Of course I was figuring him for at least a Blackberry or an iphone :D. Next we know they will be checking scores on line ;)

Laurel&HollyFarm
Apr. 24, 2010, 10:48 PM
As far as I know the rule is for every one. No unathorized assistance whether you own the horse or not. Phillip and Waterfront had already had a refusal on course which is really unusual for Phillip. Bad day but not an opportunity to call the owner!

deltawave
Apr. 24, 2010, 11:09 PM
He wasn't getting assistance, though, and maybe it's one of those "at the discretion of the ground jury" things. Obviously he wasn't asking what sort of canter or line he needed to the next jump, or where #23 was. :lol:

annikak
Apr. 24, 2010, 11:30 PM
I am usually a stickler for rules (they are meant to be followed, NOT broken) BUT...

He was riding a friends horse that had not had a great go. This friend has had a rather hard past several months. This friend was at Rolex and had watched/heard what was happening. She needed the direct information from him.

It was the right thing for him to call her, and let her know, from HIS mouth (or the horses if you want to be punish) what was happening. I am actually very impressed he had the ability to think that quickly to call her. And knew her number! But, the one thing we know is that PD thinks quickly and efficiently. Bravo to him for thinking of the horse, and the friend before worrying about rules.

mademoiselle
Apr. 24, 2010, 11:39 PM
Whatever the rule is, I'm pretty impressed that the guy could remember the phone number.

I mean besides my hubby I could not make one phone call because I don't know any phone numbers by heart ...
PATHETIC:winkgrin:

It cracked me up to see him talking on the phone in the middle of the course during the hold. It's such a 2010 image.

So, now who will be the 1st rider to Twitt' on course :lol::lol::lol: That would take some talent :eek::eek::eek:

rideforthelaurels16
Apr. 25, 2010, 12:55 AM
@jbyyny on hold @ xc, need 2 kno wthr 2 cont. w/course. ne thoughts, @peanutgallery? coffin canter 2 next or fly fence?

Is that less than 140 characters? ;)

OverandOnward
Apr. 25, 2010, 01:28 AM
he had to have made the decision to retire the moment he picked up the phone. Had he continued on after the phone conversation he would have been E'd because of unauthorized assistance.That was my thought.

The horse already had a glance-off for 20 penalties. Phillip had been tapping with the crop several times, Waterfront was basically jumping but Phillip may have felt a bit of tentativeness. With the loss of momentum from the hold ... time to call it a day, I'm sure Phillip was thinking.

Also one less horse for Phillip to warm-up tomorrow. ;)

Maybe the horse is the one who should have spoken on the phone to Jan. She could have reinforced to him that Phillip is the boss right now, he should jump for Phillip as he would for Jan. :yes:

@jbyyny on hold @ xc, need 2 kno wthr 2 cont. w/course. ne thoughts, @peanutgallery? coffin canter 2 next or fly fence?

Is that less than 140 characters? ;):lol: :lol: :lol:

(If they ever do let cell phones on course that won't be as funny, it will be what goes on. :sadsmile: ;) )

LexInVA
Apr. 25, 2010, 01:31 AM
Maybe he called his mom to ask her what she wanted for her Birthday. Maybe he was ordering a pizza. Maybe he was calling his therapist. Maybe he was calling the nearest Best Buy to see if they had any copies of Avatar on Blu-Ray left in the store. Who really cares anyway? :lol:

His Greyness
Apr. 25, 2010, 05:46 AM
FEI Article 529.8 Unauthorised Assistance.

8.3 The use of any electronic receiving apparatus by athletes is strictly forbidden, while mounted during competition.

Which part of this rule is not understood in this context?

hitchinmygetalong
Apr. 25, 2010, 08:28 AM
I would like to believe that he had already "retired" from the course, that he borrowed the phone to let the owner know that he had and why (so she would not worry), and after returning the phone, walked off.

That scenario is much more plausible than one where people speculate that he called the owner for directions as to how to proceed or whether to retire. I don't think Phillip Dutton, of all people, would be that ignorant of the rules.

retreadeventer
Apr. 25, 2010, 08:49 AM
Whoops! This is why I am not a TD!
Forget what I just said. Here's the USEA rule, and I'm looking for the FEI rule.

EV116 Radios and Cellular Phones.
The use of a radio or cellular phone while competing is forbidden, under penalty of disqualification. Any other use while on the competition grounds by competitors, trainers, or members of the competitor’s support group, is subject to restriction by the technical delegate and the president of the ground jury.
EV117 Disqualification.
1. Disqualification means that a competitor and his horse(s) may not take further part in the Event. It is applied at the discretion of the Ground Jury.
Whew. This means Phillip could be in trouble, but I need to check the FEI rules and that's going to take a while on dialup.

retreadeventer
Apr. 25, 2010, 09:06 AM
The FEI rule, relevant portions included:
8. Unauthorised Assistance
8.1 Any intervention by a third party, whether solicited or not, with the object of facilitating the task of the athlete or of helping his horse, is considered unauthorised assistance and the athlete is liable to be eliminated.
8.2 In particular, the following are forbidden:
• intentionally to take a lead from another athlete;
• to be followed, preceded or accompanied, on any part of the course, by any vehicle,....8.3 The use of any electronic receiving apparatus by athletes is strictly forbidden, while mounted during competition.
....8.5 Any case of unauthorised assistance will be decided by the Ground Jury.

This is considerably softer than the USEA version since it does not offer instant disqualification, but only that the athlete is "liable to be eliminated". (As I understand it, elimination and disqualification are two different animals.) Use of the cell phone while mounted simply uses the "forbidden" language, and leaves the case up to the GJ to decide.

Ajierene
Apr. 25, 2010, 09:24 AM
I would like to believe that he had already "retired" from the course, that he borrowed the phone to let the owner know that he had and why (so she would not worry), and after returning the phone, walked off.

That scenario is much more plausible than one where people speculate that he called the owner for directions as to how to proceed or whether to retire. I don't think Phillip Dutton, of all people, would be that ignorant of the rules.

Yeah....because he was so versed in the rules that the Olympics were a breeze....wait, he got disqualified there for having boots to heavy.

I'm going to wager that he thought 'I'm not asking assistance, I'm verifying that retiring this horse right now is alright. I'm Phil Dutton, everyone KNOWS I don't need assistance! I'm Phil Dutton, I'm to cool for school.'

Don't get me wrong, I like him - but I would not put it past him to think *that* rule does not apply in this situation, or not even be aware of that rule because he's been eventing so long he no longer pays close attention to the rule book.

monstrpony
Apr. 25, 2010, 10:09 AM

Perhaps, since there was already a hold on course, to let the owners know it wasn't him, that he was leaving voluntarily, and that his absence once the hold ended wasn't because they'd fallen. In which case, thoughtful of him, given the givens. As good as com is at Rolex, these things do get scrambled and can cause some anxiety. Heaven knows, the owners in this case don't need more of that.

He may have fluffed the rule about how many ounces in a watersoaked boot, but given how many people he works with at events (students and staff) I'd expect he does know the rules about electronic devices.

PonyGal08
Apr. 25, 2010, 10:31 AM
He may have fluffed the rule about how many ounces in a watersoaked boot, but given how many people he works with at events (students and staff) I'd expect he does know the rules about electronic devices.

Just to add... it also really wasn't his fault but just a communication breakdown from the fei to the usef to the usea. So it didn't even get filtered down to eventers that the rule had been changed. I would suspect PD would be up to speed on rules that have been in place for a while and hopefully the usef fixed their gaffe.

And as others have said, I would be willing to bet money that PD was being respectful to WF's owners. Remember he was on hold because of OT's fall. The organizers might have been more focused on that instead of relaying to the announcer right away that PD retired.

rabicon
Apr. 25, 2010, 10:39 AM
Why is there any debate about this anyways? Really, he retired so it really doesn't matter what might have been. That'll drive you crazy ;) On the video he called right after he was stopped. Doesn't matter what might could have happened because he retired and there is no problem for him.

Gry2Yng
Apr. 25, 2010, 10:43 AM
Wow! I guess this beats the 40 page thread on Laine or Mike Winter that we had last year and the year before, but sheeesh!

JumpingBug
Apr. 25, 2010, 10:46 AM
"His Greyness

8.3 The use of any electronic receiving apparatus by athletes is strictly forbidden, while mounted during competition.

Which part of this rule is not understood in this context?"

Hard to believe you all give a squat about a man retiring his horse. It is almost funny but then you realize what the hell do you people do that this is actually being a supported a topic?

OverandOnward
Apr. 25, 2010, 11:03 AM
Why is there any debate about this anyways? Really, he retired so it really doesn't matter what might have been. That'll drive you crazy ;) On the video he called right after he was stopped. Doesn't matter what might could have happened because he retired and there is no problem for him.
Yes but ...

An obsessive post-mortem "debate" or "discussion" is a learning opportunity - less about Phillip than about understanding a larger context. And arming the letter-writers, I'm sure. Of course such debate doesn't really matter. In the land of the free it's ok for people to drive the subject into the ground and then jump up and down on it. ;)

OverandOnward
Apr. 25, 2010, 11:04 AM
If Phillip had already retired - and none of us yet know exactly who said what to who, nor does it matter - he could merely have been reassuring Jan that all was well. By calling his groom, wife, daughter or someone whose number he knows to tell her.

If it wasn't that, since he dialed the number by heart then it was probably the pizza.
:yes: :D

canterlope
Apr. 25, 2010, 11:29 AM
This is a situation where you need to dig a little deeper into the rule book and make an interpretation that not every official may agree with. Article 517 from the FEI Rules states:

INTERRUPTIONS & MODIFICATIONS
1. Interruptions
The timetable may be interrupted due to dangerous conditions. If necessary, the start of any test or phase may be brought forward, postponed or cancelled. The decision to interrupt or cancel a test will be made by the President of the Ground Jury after consultation with the other Members of the Ground Jury and the Technical Delegate, if possible. In the case of an interruption, the event will be resumed as soon as possible at the point of the interruption. Every affected athlete must receive sufficient warning before the resumption of the competition.

Since Article 529.8.3 states that the use of any electronic receiving apparatus by athletes is strictly forbidden while mounted during competition, it could be argued that, due to the hold on course, the competition had been interrupted, was not ongoing, and had not resumed when Phillip made his now famous phone call.

lbennet6
Apr. 25, 2010, 12:15 PM
According to Practical Horseman, He called his wife who did not answer his call, but then called him back. Then his wife handed the phone to Jan & he told her he was retiring...

RiverBendPol
Apr. 25, 2010, 12:38 PM
According to Practical Horseman, He called his wife who did not answer his call, but then called him back. Then his wife handed the phone to Jan & he told her he was retiring...

Oooooooooo, wowee, some Very Special Inside Information! How Very Cool. Maybe now this can be put to bed. :lol:

SuZQuzie
Apr. 25, 2010, 12:42 PM
Since Article 529.8.3 states that the use of any electronic receiving apparatus by athletes is strictly forbidden while mounted during competition, it could be argued that, due to the hold on course, the competition had been interrupted, was not ongoing, and had not resumed when Phillip made his now famous phone call.

For what it's worth, nope. A hold on course is still competition. My friend was once held on course (at her first 2* no less!) for 12 minutes when a horse had fallen later on the course. Her coach came over and they were not allowed to talk to each other at all since that would be considered unauthorized assistance.

WishIWereRiding
Apr. 25, 2010, 12:58 PM

Is this on their website?

lbennet6
Apr. 25, 2010, 01:55 PM
here is the link...it was on their facebook

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/photo.php?pid=3772112&id=66630714161&fbid=387812809161

canterlope
Apr. 25, 2010, 01:56 PM
For what it's worth, nope. A hold on course is still competition. My friend was once held on course (at her first 2* no less!) for 12 minutes when a horse had fallen later on the course. Her coach came over and they were not allowed to talk to each other at all since that would be considered unauthorized assistance.SuZQuzie, as I stated, it is open to interpretation. Some officials may rule this way, while others may not. Saying nope because of your friend's situation is as incorrect as saying yeah because the officials in Phillip's situation did not use USEF rules to disqualify him on all of his horses.

In addition, the FEI rules on unauthorized assistance have changed in recent years and may now be different than when your friend rode her first 2*.

retreadeventer
Apr. 25, 2010, 02:18 PM
Canterlope, I defer to your knowledge of the rule book as always, but using your logic, then during a suspension or interruption, a trainer or groom could get on a horse and school it, or a rider could perform an act of cruelty, or school it over another jump, etc. and because there was technically no competition, it wouldn't count?
Saying something is forbidden seems pretty clear. It wouldn't be forbidden only at times. You can't sit on a horse and talk on the phone at an FEI competition. I bet it's done, though. Just not in the middle of a 4* cross country course!
But the GJ does have the discretion of course.

Susan P
Apr. 25, 2010, 03:28 PM
I agree, his mind works well under pressure and he's a planner. Every jump is well thought out with the horse in mind. I think that is party why he's so successful. Too bad he finished second today, rode well in the stadium jumping.

I am usually a stickler for rules (they are meant to be followed, NOT broken) BUT...

He was riding a friends horse that had not had a great go. This friend has had a rather hard past several months. This friend was at Rolex and had watched/heard what was happening. She needed the direct information from him.

It was the right thing for him to call her, and let her know, from HIS mouth (or the horses if you want to be punish) what was happening. I am actually very impressed he had the ability to think that quickly to call her. And knew her number! But, the one thing we know is that PD thinks quickly and efficiently. Bravo to him for thinking of the horse, and the friend before worrying about rules.

canterlope
Apr. 25, 2010, 06:41 PM
Canterlope, I defer to your knowledge of the rule book as always, but using your logic, then during a suspension or interruption, a trainer or groom could get on a horse and school it, or a rider could perform an act of cruelty, or school it over another jump, etc. and because there was technically no competition, it wouldn't count?
Saying something is forbidden seems pretty clear. It wouldn't be forbidden only at times. You can't sit on a horse and talk on the phone at an FEI competition. I bet it's done, though. Just not in the middle of a 4* cross country course!
But the GJ does have the discretion of course.Retread, I fully understand that any rule can be taken to an illogical extreme. My posts were intended to show that you can't just look at one rule and make a determination when other rules might apply.

retreadeventer
Apr. 25, 2010, 07:21 PM
Boy, the more you learn, the more you realize you don't know.

There is a lot of difference between some of the FEI rules and the USEA (national) rules. Upper level riders have a lot of work figuring these things out. Heck, it's hard to keep up with the USEA changes! I have to remind myself to check on the new rules every other month or so. I lay awake at night with the rulebook printout the week before I compete. You never know when you might do something dumb.

I am GLAD I will never have to worry about it! (Altho I kinda do being a volunteer official at a CCI, but I have FEI stewards to handle any difficulty).

Allegro Vivace
Apr. 25, 2010, 09:12 PM
Yup...it was hylerious! and not only was it on the live feed online it was on the big screen TV's in the field so everyone saw it both at the event and at home. How is that funny?
I'd be thoroughly embarrassed if I had a video of me on a cell halfway through my XC course (making the decision whether to drop out as well!) broadcasted on (world wide really) television. And I'm guessing you aren't any different.

EqTrainer
Apr. 25, 2010, 09:18 PM
He was calling LMEqT to ask What Would Nanny Pony Do.

BigRuss1996
Apr. 26, 2010, 08:24 AM
Actually I'm very different....and I'm sure Phillip isn't embarassed either.
The shows over people.... time to let this one go! Did he kind of break a rule..yes. Is this a national disaster...no.
The man was just keeping Jan in the loop and considering all she's been through I don't really see an issue. Now if he'd called someone for something else and continued on that's another story. Time to move on...

How is that funny?
I'd be thoroughly embarrassed if I had a video of me on a cell halfway through my XC course (making the decision whether to drop out as well!) broadcasted on (world wide really) television. And I'm guessing you aren't any different.

deltawave
Apr. 26, 2010, 09:00 AM
How is that funny?

Phooey. The incongruous is often funny, and in this case nobody was hurt, a good horseman made a good decision, and there was a--yes--FUNNY image to go along with it. I found it amusing as well. And should it happen to me, I would smile, too: still in the tack, unhurt, doing the right thing for my horse--what's not to smile about? :)

Jeannette, formerly ponygyrl
Apr. 26, 2010, 10:46 AM
A) if I get to be the arbitter of humor, it WAS funny! Incongruous funny, but as someone standing there, it made me chortle.

1) I am a HUGE believer in situational judgment. If there is a 40 minute hold on course surely we don't expect a rider to speak with no-one in that time? And if there is a 1 minute hold we would at least twitch if a coach ran up to a rider and said something and the rider then rode quite differently after... There is a lot of room for judgment in between. I hope we all continue - or start - to use our best judgment in such situations rather than worrying solely about printed rules or precedent.

bornfreenowexpensive
Apr. 26, 2010, 11:55 AM
Actually I'm very different....and I'm sure Phillip isn't embarassed either.
The shows over people.... time to let this one go! Did he kind of break a rule..yes. Is this a national disaster...no.
The man was just keeping Jan in the loop and considering all she's been through I don't really see an issue. Now if he'd called someone for something else and continued on that's another story. Time to move on...

I agree....and honestly....if this was against the rules. I'd personally like to see that rule changed. This was just good common sense and keeping an owner in the loop.

frugalannie
Apr. 26, 2010, 12:11 PM
Sorry to beat this dead subject, but...

Rules mavens, please tell me: if PD had hopped off the horse to walk it around during the hold, would the phone call have been OK?

skgerbino
Apr. 26, 2010, 12:15 PM
Hi all:

I never thought handing Phillip a cell phone would make me so famous in an anonymous sort of way! After I flagged him down and asked if he wanted me to sponge his horse, he asked if I had a phone which I handed him. He attempted to get through two or three times before reaching whomever he wanted and obviously thought the best thing to do was retire, given he had a run-out prior to the stop. Given the gentleman and professional that he is, he did what he thought was best at the time, so let's not second guess and make a big deal out of it. He'll probably get a good laugh after seeing the clips.

annikak
Apr. 26, 2010, 01:03 PM
I think you made the right call. And,

Thanks for doing the job....! The heart of eventing lies in the volunteers, and I am thankful for you all!

Robby Johnson
Apr. 26, 2010, 01:19 PM
Men don't like to ask for directions so I doubt that's what it was about.

There's a reason for that (he says after spending 4 days with a bunch of girl drivers!).

EventerAJ
Apr. 26, 2010, 01:31 PM
Hi all:

I never thought handing Phillip a cell phone would make me so famous in an anonymous sort of way! After I flagged him down and asked if he wanted me to sponge his horse, he asked if I had a phone which I handed him. He attempted to get through two or three times before reaching whomever he wanted and obviously thought the best thing to do was retire, given he had a run-out prior to the stop. Given the gentleman and professional that he is, he did what he thought was best at the time, so let's not second guess and make a big deal out of it. He'll probably get a good laugh after seeing the clips.

Aha, so it's YOUR fault Ms Gerbino! :winkgrin:

I was in the riders' tent (in the finish box) during this episode, and I can tell you EVERYONE in there was giggling at the image of Phillip on the phone. You just had to roll your eyes a bit at the absurdity, yet applaud his quick-thinking to get in touch with Jan (whom EVERYONE assumed he was calling). It was a very light-hearted moment, which I think was a good thing following the scare of Oli's fall.

KBG Eventer
Apr. 26, 2010, 01:42 PM
FWIW, Eventing Nation reported later that the call was to Evie to tell Jan about what was going on. It's funny because most people seemed to think he just knew Jan's number and called her directly, but my mom insisted he was probably calling his wife. Apparently, it WAS her. Mom's are always right, ha.

Anyway, my mom and I were a few yards away and found the situatuion pretty amusing! That and how a whole bunch of people power walked over to where he was walking Waterfront around to stare/listen in/whatever :lol:.

Janet
Apr. 26, 2010, 10:43 PM
Sorry to beat this dead subject, but...

Rules mavens, please tell me: if PD had hopped off the horse to walk it around during the hold, would the phone call have been OK?

The USEF Eventing rules say

EV116 Radios and Cellular Phones.
The use of a radio or cellular phone while competing is forbidden, under penalty of disqualification.
Any other use while on the competition grounds by competitors, trainers, or members
of the competitor’s support group, is subject to restriction by the technical delegate and
the president of the ground jury.

So using the cell phone after the start and before retiring would be forbidden for USEF, whether he was on horseback or on the ground.

ETA that I found the FEI rule

8.3 THE USE OF ANY ELECTRONIC receiving apparatus by athletes is strictly
forbidden, while mounted during competition.

So, as I read the FEI rules, he could have used the cell phone while dismounted at the hold.

Janet
Apr. 26, 2010, 11:13 PM
it could be argued that, due to the hold on course, the competition had been interrupted, Interesting.

I had assumed that "interruption of the competition" referred to an interruption for all competitors (e.g. a lightning storm).

In the situation where ONE horse has been "held" on course, but there may be other horses (ahead of him or behind him) still jumping the course (or, at a HT, other horses competing in the dressage or show jumping rings), I wouldn't think of that as an "interruption of the competition".

But I see how it could be interpreted that way.

But, independant of that, the FEI rules are clear that

8.5 ANY CASE of unauthorised assistance will be decided by the Ground
Jury., so it would be up to the GJ to decide whether or not the phone call (mounted or unmounted) was "unauthorized assistance."

frugalannie
Apr. 27, 2010, 02:24 PM
Thank you, Janet.

I think the USEF rule is written so broadly as to be unenforceable, especially with regard to the "competitor's support group", but the intent is pretty clear.

Eventer-n-SC
Apr. 27, 2010, 09:29 PM
I wasn't nearby when he was pulled up, but I'm not sure he borrowed the phone. Video coverage shows him pull up, walk maybe 2 steps, and lift his right leg as if to tighten the girth when he pulls out a phone instead. Would explain how he had the number handy...contacts list.

OverandOnward
Apr. 27, 2010, 09:34 PM
I can imagine that somewhere a Rolex official would like to pin a big note inside the garmet bag of every rider ... please please please do not do stuff that will make us have to take out the rule book and talk to you. Can you just get through 5 days without doing one single thing on impluse? Please ... ???
:lol: :D :lol:

kentuckygirl
Apr. 27, 2010, 09:44 PM
I wasn't nearby when he was pulled up, but I'm not sure he borrowed the phone. Video coverage shows him pull up, walk maybe 2 steps, and lift his right leg as if to tighten the girth when he pulls out a phone instead. Would explain how he had the number handy...contacts list.

He definitely borrowed the phone. He couldn't call Jan, because he didn't have her number memorized. Instead, he called his wife, Evie, who at first didn't answer the phone because she said "It's not Phillip!" not realizing he was just on someone else's phone, before the rest of the competitors' tent near the ten minute box screamed "ANSWER IT!!" Evie then talked with Jan and relayed information between Phillip and Jan. I couldn't hear what they were saying.

FWIW, I was in the competitor's tent, so I'm POSITIVE the above is accurate!

OverandOnward
Apr. 27, 2010, 11:03 PM
... Instead, he called his wife, Evie, who at first didn't answer the phone because she said "It's not Phillip!" not realizing he was just on someone else's phone, ...Why would Evie expect Phillip might call her during a Rolex xc round? Such that she would answer his call but no one else's? ;) :D

But I do understand she was not interested in talking to misc. phone callers she didn't know.

A this point this is such an irresistably meaningless thread. Kind of like the old tv show Cheers, about nothing. Can't wait to read each next post ... :cool:

Badger
Apr. 27, 2010, 11:37 PM
I suspect she was watching him dial a phone on the screen, guessed he was calling her, but when she didn't recognize the number as his she did not want to tie up the phone with an unknown caller (wanting instead to keep the line free for the call she could see her husband was making).

I think it's hysterical this thread has gone on so long. The cell call in the middle of Rolex x-c was incongruous and quite funny, and now there is a thread that just won't die.

Badger
Apr. 27, 2010, 11:44 PM
Sienfeld was the show about nothing. Cheers was about the neighborhood bar where everyone knows your name.

But I do agree: pointless and irresistable.

azeventer
Apr. 27, 2010, 11:48 PM
I REALLY wish I had taken a picture of this now! (I wasn't near Phillip at the time, but was near the big screen in the field....could have taken a pic of that!) Sorry but I find this, and the thread it has generated amusing as well.

Grataan
Apr. 27, 2010, 11:51 PM
Well, the official that loaned him the phone posted earlier in this thread stating that she loaned him her phone

Badger
Apr. 28, 2010, 12:07 AM
And now she has Phillip's wife's cell number! Can our intrepid volunteer sell it on ebay to finance a four-star horse for Kim S? Stay tuned for the next shocking development in These Are The Boards of Our Lives....

SkipChange
Apr. 28, 2010, 12:10 AM
And now she has Phillip's wife's cell number! Can our intrepid volunteer sell it on ebay to finance a four-star horse for Kim S? Stay tuned for the next shocking development in These Are The Boards of Our Lives....

:lol::lol::lol: