PDA

View Full Version : Frank Baines Saddle.

sarah88
Apr. 24, 2010, 08:38 PM
Has anyone had any experience good/bad with the frank baines saddles. I have a new saddle fitter, who comes highly recommended coming to look at a couple of horses. I am most interested in black country saddles, but he unfortunately no longer deals them. I have also had good exp. w/ county ( but personally i find the seat uncomfortable at least on the conquest, which stinks bc it is a great saddle and the horses seem to like them and the quality is top notch). so anyhow, this fitter deals w/ the frank baines and ideal saddles, and while i didnt like the look of the pictures i had seen i just wanted to get some insight before i rule them out.
Thanks!

Thought i would add- i would be eventing in it through training (maybe prelim but not for a looong time)

teddygirl
Apr. 24, 2010, 09:01 PM
I have a Frank Baines dressage saddles and know a bunch of people with both the dressage and jumping saddles and I've ridden in them. I think it's a great saddle and one of the most underrated saddles on the market. They fit many horses quite easily and they're comfortable for the rider. They're not overly expensive for the quality and everyone I know who has them is really happy. Black County saddles are nice too, they're the "in" saddle of the moment and are good saddles, but I think the Baines are certainly as nice. They make a number of different models and use different leathers, you should be able to find something you'll love. Definitely give them a try!

Seamus
Apr. 25, 2010, 08:30 PM
Love my Frank Baines! It is a wonderful piece of tack with a nice forward flap. I have been very pleased.

lduhamel
Apr. 25, 2010, 09:03 PM
love my FB reflex dressage saddle!!!!

cutemudhorse
Apr. 25, 2010, 09:07 PM
Yes, I really really like my Baines Capriole dressage saddle. I would not hesitate to try a jumping saddle either, even saw one I would have liked to try but I already have two!

AmericaRunsOnDunkin
Apr. 25, 2010, 10:12 PM
Has anyone had any experience good/bad with the frank baines saddles. I have a new saddle fitter, who comes highly recommended coming to look at a couple of horses. I am most interested in black country saddles, but he unfortunately no longer deals them. I have also had good exp. w/ county ( but personally i find the seat uncomfortable at least on the conquest, which stinks bc it is a great saddle and the horses seem to like them and the quality is top notch). so anyhow, this fitter deals w/ the frank baines and ideal saddles, and while i didnt like the look of the pictures i had seen i just wanted to get some insight before i rule them out.
Thanks!

Thought i would add- i would be eventing in it through training (maybe prelim but not for a looong time)

I love my Frank Baines Reflex saddle with surge panels as well. No more back pain for my guy, it supports without forcing me into position, and it is soft in all the right places without being squishy (technical term).

sarah88
Apr. 25, 2010, 11:46 PM
Thanks for the insight! Has anyone else out there used the Enigma model in particular? And does anyone know how their jumping saddles generally run price wise? Thanks again and im glad to hear such good reports so far!

wlrottge
May. 2, 2010, 01:19 PM
DW JUST sat in a FB Enigma that's only been ridden ~25 times. It looks NEW, but does not fit the rider. She and our TRAINER LOVED it but b/c of her crazy long femur, she needed an 18 or 18.5. It's NICE soft leather!

whenigrowup
May. 2, 2010, 03:49 PM
I really liked the Enigma when I sat in one in the Frank Baines tent at Rolex a couple years ago. The flaps aren't as forward as they look in pictures. I have a FB Elegance dressage saddle which i LOVE-- as does absolutely everyone who sits in it. I've sat in two FB jumping saddles--both of them the wool flocked saddle as opposed to the foam one (I'm not sure the model...). The older model (like, 5yrs old) I loved, but the newer buffalo saddle felt like the seat was deeper and the balance tipped me forward... wierd as it was supposed to be the exact same saddle as the other one. They are extremely well made saddles and I would highly recommend trying one out! The jumping saddles generally run around $2000 I believe.

whicker
May. 2, 2010, 04:01 PM
I have Frank Baines that was made with the balance people. The first one didn't work and looked odd. I complained and sent it back. Frank Baines, personally, called me from England to apologize. The saddle was never meant to leave the shop as it had already been failed by Mr. Baines. Someone picked it off the reject pile by accident. He listened carefully to me and made the next one. It is wonderful!

Bensmom
May. 2, 2010, 05:37 PM
I spent a LONG time with Frank Baines in his sales tent at Rolex in 2008. He was fantastic to work with and picked the dressage model that fit me best. Sadly, I could not purchase one right then, but later in the year, I took my horses down to Ocala and met with his fitter/retailer there and was able to put in my order. I had great communication with Frank and his daughter both, and when my saddle arrived, I was delighted. I absolutely love it. I also did the serge panels and have been very happy with them.

Equine Adhesive
May. 2, 2010, 06:27 PM
I used to have a County jumping saddle. I now have a FB jumping saddle. I am happier with the FB and I feel lucky to have gotten it for a great deal used, in part b/c it's not as trendy a name. ;)

Bacchus
May. 3, 2010, 10:22 AM
Fabulous saddles. A friend just got one after I talked her into trying it, and she loves it. They run around $2,500 to $3,000 new, I think. Pretty easy to find online. Americans don't seem to know the brand as well, but they should. They are as nice as Black Country, and I like them a lot better than County. My friend got a great deal on hers used. I think she paid around $750.

Ideal saddles are really nice, too. Another brand not well-known in the U.S. I had an Ideal Jessica dressage saddle that was lovely.