PDA

View Full Version : Would/have you clinic with this instructor? (Angelea Walkup)

AzuWish
Apr. 24, 2010, 02:12 PM
I found this woman in my area. I'm a big fan of trying out different instructors/clinicians/etc. and think it helps you round out your education by learning from as many different people.

I am mostly drawn to dressage clinicians right now because I'm learning that aspect first (I'm a total noob when it comes to eventing! And a complete noob when it comes to dressage). For example, I'll be doing a clinic with Deiter Reidinger in May.

Here is the info on the woman I was looking into: Angelea Walkup of Silverdale Sporthorses. http://www.silverdalesporthorses.com/

* System: The systematic training style utilized at Silverdale Sporthorses focuses on finesse over force and resistance instead of restriction. We focus on effective use of basic aids to develop the riders’ awareness and feel while simultaneously advancing competition skills and personal strategies.

* Trainer: Angelea Kelly Walkup, has successfully competed in Dressage through Grand Prix earning both her USDF Silver and Gold Medals and has trained extensively in California by the legendary Hilda Gurney and in The Netherlands by 3-time individual Olympic Gold Medalist, Anky van Grunsven. Angelea has also had the opportunity to work with Anne Gribbons, Janet Brown-Foy, Sabine Schut-Kery, Bettina Drummond, Gwen Blake and the late Hans von Blixen-Finecke.

* Media: Angelea is host of the USEF award winning series, HorseGirlTV® and a contributing writer for Dressage Today.
o “The Life of a Working Student”, Dressage Today, January 2010.
o “Grand Prix for the Rest of Us”, Dressage Today, April 2008.
o “Showing on the Coast of Spain”, Dressage Today, August 2005.
o “International Freestyle Forum”, Dressage Today, July 2005.
o “Importing Horses”, Flying Changes, December 2004.

So with that, your thoughts? Is this someone that an aspiring eventer could benefit from? Has anyone cliniced with her before?

LexInVA
Apr. 24, 2010, 04:11 PM
So with that, your thoughts? Is this someone that an aspiring eventer could benefit from? Has anyone cliniced with her before?

Until you posted this, I don't believe anyone here knew she was doing any instructing which would probably have been a recent change. I've never known of her to be anything other than the host of HorseGirlTV when she was posting here before.

AzuWish
Apr. 24, 2010, 11:04 PM
She posted here before? Interesting. How do I search the forum for her posts?I don't see a search button

Not sure if it is a recent career move but know that I just started seeing her stuff here. I figured she moved here from off

LexInVA
Apr. 24, 2010, 11:31 PM
Well, she was single/unmarried when she started posting here if I recall correctly. Then she got married and moved around a bit with her husband's career. We didn't hear much from her once that happened other than sporadic postings asking about specific things wherever she was going. She posts here under the username "horsegirltv" and has been somewhat active lately.

rideforthelaurels16
Apr. 24, 2010, 11:50 PM
Woah - never knew she was a trainer, nor that she competed to such a high level!

Domino'spal
Apr. 25, 2010, 09:01 PM
I have to say that anyone who has achieved as much as she has, is worth a shot! This area (which I live in) is not supportive of anything new and tends to be very catty towards anyone new.

I am planning on taking some lessons with her with my stallion, ART CARVED.

As one of the only other trainers in the area (EVENTING/JUMPERS) that actually competes, I have already sent her a welcome e mail. We need a more supportive atmosphere down here!

Give her a shot!

Apr. 27, 2010, 02:09 PM
She certainly has the experience to be someone who would have insights to share, whether or not she will be a right match for you as a trainer, you'll never know until you try her. She recently returned from Europe riding with Anky, so I can only imagine she has enough experience to share. I've never seen her teach personally, good luck and let us know how you like working with her! If she doesn't match you or your horse, there are other instructors who come to that area to clinic.

roki143
Apr. 27, 2010, 03:00 PM
For example, I'll be doing a clinic with Deiter Reidinger in May.

Totally off topic, but are you riding with Dieter at Karyn's? I LOVE Deiter and am so mad that I just had started taking from him when he left the area. Glad he'll be back then... if you haven't ridden with him before, it's a real treat!

AzuWish
Apr. 28, 2010, 09:53 AM
Roki, no at Sarah's Morehead City.

I'm really super excited about it :) I've only heard fantastic things about him and I've talked to him via e-mail and his wife over the phone and both are really nice.

Of course, him being Austrian, I'm not expecting a cake walk during the lesson! But I've always heard he is stern but fair and treats every rider like they are advancing through the upper levels and tells them like it is.

It'll be my first-ever dressage clinic ever (OK, well first in 10 years and I'm no longer a 16-year-old jumper who thinks dressage is for old ladies too scared to jump lol).

I think he's also doing Washington or maybe Hubert around that clinic time? I dunno. I'd check his Web site.

----------

Thanks everyone!

horsegirltv
Jun. 2, 2010, 04:05 PM
Hi AzuWish and COTH BB,

AzuWish feel free to contact me through the website form at http://www.silverdalesporthorses.com/?page_id=9 as you're welcome to come out and meet me.

I started teaching basic western when I was 18, dressage in my 20s and have taken significant time off from working with others to travel, train & show personally, and produce HorseGirlTV (my way of horse education/entertainent to the masses).

I've kept to myself in the riding scene in NC until this past year when a few wonderful local horse folks I had met asked if I would teach again. Once our new arena was completed (video and info at http://www.horsegirltv.com/blog/?p=1219) this past April, I started taking a few clients.

I've since met some great people in our local area, everyone has already come back (or is planning on it) for a 2nd or 3rd lesson and our June clinic date (registration online at http://www.silverdalesporthorses.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/TrainingEntry.pdf) only has one ride time left but auditors are welcome to register as well.

Hope that's helpful info "from the horses mouth" so to speak. ;-)

Happy riding,

AzuWish
Jun. 2, 2010, 07:34 PM
Thanks, Angelea! I may be out there to audit at the end of the month :)

horsegirltv
Jun. 2, 2010, 07:42 PM
You're very welcome! ;-)

There's a few folks, I imagine, quite close to you who've came out for lessons and I'm sure would be happy to give you some insight as to what we worked on. Tom or Sarah perhaps.