PDA

View Full Version : How Long Did It Take Before Your Green OTTB

gooselover
Apr. 23, 2010, 08:31 PM
settled down at shows? What's the "average" amount of shows? This will be our second schooling CT and our first was okay for some parts and horrible for the others. What's your experience in this??? I have to admit, I am so nervous about him being nervous that I will probably ruin the show!!!!

CdnRider
Apr. 23, 2010, 11:46 PM
I have a very anxious and hot chestnut TB. I ride from home alot and the first summer I had her she whinnied non-stop every time hacking out. To the point I had ppl from other acreage homes check on me because she called so much!!

She doesn't stand still very often when tied up (I ignore her) and at shows if I take her to the trailer to tack up I'm just asking for trouble. She also had/has a trailering phobia and anytime she trailers alone she is usually in a lathered sweat by the time I get anywhere.

At shows I make it as easy on her as possible. I tack her up in her stall, I try not to put her near horses she lives with (because when they leave she gets frantic) and I take her out for lots of walks. When I ride her I put her to work immediately so she has something to focus on. And I try to make myself as calm and relaxed as possible, especially in my hips and back. Soon as I tense she tenses.

Shes been shown for 1.5 years now and I trailered her by herself on Wed for the first time this year and she wasnt sweaty at all!!! (a huge accomplishment) Every show something improves and although shes not by any means perfect I'm ok with her being high maintenance and I don't expect all of it to 100% go away.

Lone
Apr. 24, 2010, 12:12 AM
My young OTTB was surprisingly good and easy starting from her first show! She has a lovely, 'easy' temperament to begin with which really helped. Before we went to her first show we trailered to lots of different locations for camps, clinics, trail rides, etc. So she was used to getting out of the trailer and going to work. We also did a very low key mini-event for the first outing which was low stress for both of us.

She's my first green-bean, so I'm still learning as I go. But, I think one of the things that helped her the most was having a consistent routine. I groom, tack and (especially) warm-up the same way each day which has really helped her. Having the consistent routine, even in a different location seemed comforting to her.

ThirdCharm
Apr. 24, 2010, 12:21 AM
One? I'd almost rather take a green trackie to its first show than anything else!

Jennifer