PDA

View Full Version : Phillip Withdrawing Kheops du Quesnay

kentuckygirl
Apr. 23, 2010, 05:25 PM
Anyone know why Phillip withdrew Danny (Kheops du Quesnay)? I know he's not the most experienced mount, and that he and Phillip haven't always gotten along too harmoniously, but does anyone know if the horse is OK or what's going on? It seems to me that Phillip would only go to the trouble and expense of entering and taking him to Rolex if he felt confident the horse was ready for it, so I'm now worried there is something going on with the horse. Anyone know? Hope everything is ok!

retreadeventer
Apr. 23, 2010, 05:37 PM
I doubt there is anything wrong with the horse.
He had the bad luck to be the first ride on Thursday and the judges were not generous. He has three others to ride. There may be a minor thing or two (at this level no horse is perfect) but I would assume it is because, like all trainers with multiple horses in the barn, you take a look at the course and decide how to ride each horse over it, and perhaps there were a few things he did not like for this horse out there. He might have had to go first on him in the morning, too, a spot that may not have suited the horse. The dressage score was going to be a climb for the horse, he would have to go fast and clean on XC and double clear on stadium to move up and perhaps Phillip looked at all factors and said, you know, this is a good horse, he doesn't need to be gutted tomorrow, I will save him for another day. I believe Phillip is a GREAT horseman and I would never second guess his decisions. He is rarely in error when it comes to the management of the top horses in the sport. I would not worry.

NeverTime
Apr. 23, 2010, 05:38 PM
I have no personal knowledge, but I would guess it might have less to do with any problems with the horse and more to do with the fact all three of his other rides are placed in the top 10, and that horse -- his FOURTH ride -- was in 27th.
He didn't originally plan to ride four horses at Rolex, but because of the travel problems in Europe chose to compete Woodburn here instead of Badminton.
Maybe he looked at his four ride times for tomorrow and thought he could do a better job with the three horses who are in contention for top placings if he didn't have to deal with that fourth ride?
(Then again, four rides probably doesn't seem like that many to him -- it's half of his usual horse trial workload! :lol:)

bornfreenowexpensive
Apr. 23, 2010, 05:52 PM
I have no personal knowledge, but I would guess it might have less to do with any problems with the horse and more to do with the fact all three of his other rides are placed in the top 10, and that horse -- his FOURTH ride -- was in 27th.
He didn't originally plan to ride four horses at Rolex, but because of the travel problems in Europe chose to compete Woodburn here instead of Badminton.
Maybe he looked at his four ride times for tomorrow and thought he could do a better job with the three horses who are in contention for top placings if he didn't have to deal with that fourth ride?
(Then again, four rides probably doesn't seem like that many to him -- it's half of his usual horse trial workload! :lol:)

I would expect that could be the reason.

In addition, this is the greenest ride for him tomorrow.....and not the best weather forecast. So his most risky ride...in the worst placing position....and his first ride of the day. I'd scratch him too. ;) Perhaps he will aim him for Germany in June. Think the Volcano will be done by then?....the one in Hawaii has been basically going off for 15+ years:eek:

NeverTime
Apr. 23, 2010, 05:55 PM
Yes, absolutely, that too! And considering he'd have to go first on that horse, if they'd had a miscommunication or parting of ways that caused an injury, he might not have been able to ride the ones who really could win.

VicariousRider
Apr. 23, 2010, 06:31 PM
NeverTime and BFNE's answers sum up my speculation as well.

I actually wonder if he had a deal with the management where they would allow him to enter all four on the condition that he withdraw the lowest placed horse after dressage.

Again, TOTALLY speculating here.

OverandOnward
Apr. 23, 2010, 07:14 PM
All that has been my guess as well.

There's a "yeah but" in there ... Get to ride 4 TOP horses through dressage and pick the best scores to go on with? Not exactly a level playing field. Shouldn't everyone bring every horse they can qualify for dressage, but complete with just the top dressage scores? Every rider have 3+ horses entered, and let withdrawals would shorten the entry list between dressage to cross-country? Not because they don't have the physical strength for all the rides but to allow the prep & warm-up time for each horse to give it the best xc chance.

I had looked at the start times and could not figure out how he was going to warm-up all 4 -- maybe each gets an early morning hack as well -- and each get whatever level of time and attention that particular horse needed.

Looking at the dressage scores this could be a Phillip Dutton Rolex.

(Although maybe the awful weather forecast will affect that.)

Gry2Yng
Apr. 23, 2010, 07:39 PM
Not to throw this off track, but I am currently watching the dressage for Friday. I think the judging is WAY GENEROUS! Anyone else think so?

OverandOnward
Apr. 24, 2010, 12:12 AM
Not to throw this off track, but I am currently watching the dressage for Friday. I think the judging is WAY GENEROUS! Anyone else think so?For Phillip?

If you mean generally for all riders, I suggest a new thread. Could be a great discussion. :)

VicariousRider
Apr. 24, 2010, 08:35 AM
Eventing Nation (http://www.eventingnation.com)reported that Phillip said in his blog that Danny has some minor heat in one leg so that's why they (are saying they) scratched him. Of course, you never really know unless you're on the inside!

OverandOnward: I totally agree with your "Yeah but..." I was just throwing it out there as another possibility. While I agree that it would be unfair, the fact of the matter is that riders like Phillip do get special treatment by virtue of their celebrity and success.

I certainly don't get the impression that Phillip abuses it, but he has owners to please and it must be pretty hard to approach an owner and say, "I know your horse is fit and sound and ready to run Rolex, but I have three better horses to take so yours is staying home." I would imagine that that would be a pretty quick way to lose an owner.

Additionally, KHP wants to sell tickets. I'm sure that accommodating a previous winner (and 5? time bridesmaid) would be a no-brainer.

retreadeventer
Apr. 24, 2010, 08:37 AM
Not to throw this off track, but I am currently watching the dressage for Friday. I think the judging is WAY GENEROUS! Anyone else think so?

Compared to what I saw last year....yes.

BigMick
Apr. 24, 2010, 08:52 AM
Amy has WD Leyland. Any ideas on that?

old_grey_mare
Apr. 24, 2010, 02:58 PM
Commentator was mentioning with Amy's knee issues and that maybe she wanted to save Leyland's legs for WEG possibility since he has experience running **** before. Perhaps her knee still bothering her too much to run 2.

As for dressage, I thought Mara Dean put in a very nice ride. Surprised her score was not better. I thought Phillips scores were higher than they should be. I thought Karen's ride was excellent.