PDA

View Full Version : What happens is their is a thunderstorm on Saturday?

mrschmitt
Apr. 23, 2010, 03:38 PM
I know that they won't run cross country when there is thunder and lightening, so what would they do if they can't get all/any of the riders in tomorrow because of the approaching storm? Not trying to be a pessimist, but am very curious as to what would happen. Would they cancel the cross country and just take the points from Dressage and Stadium?
Thanks

BuddyRoo
Apr. 23, 2010, 04:35 PM
It will be fine.

Worry not.

It often looks like that. If there is lightening, they'll put a hold on things.

Everyone should pack their rain gear and mittens if you're a wuss. Else, we're all good. Won't be the first Rolex in the rain. Won't be the last.

OverandOnward
Apr. 23, 2010, 05:00 PM
I've been told to "put on a raincoat and ride. It rains all the time in Kentucky and they don't cancel."

If there were enough lightning delays that there was not enough daylight to complete all rounds, the remaining would run Sunday morning ... that's how it would be handled at most local events. I am not at all sure how that works with Rolex' show jumping schedule, though.

But ... this is why events schedule cross-country to complete all rides with an hour or more of daylight left at the end. If there is a delay (of any kind) probably all rides can still finish that day. The last ride at Rolex starts at 3:30, so I assume they could go as late as 5 pm with the shadows not too long to affect the horse's view of the jumps. Just guessing.

Wasn't it 2002 that the afternoon downpour at Rolex was so awful?

kt
Apr. 23, 2010, 06:00 PM
What they're calling for is more than hard rain. There is apparently huge potential for severe weather, with three separate statements from the NWS for Central KY. Calling for high winds, hail, cloud-to-ground lightning, and possible tornadoes. It does look like most of this is supposed to happen in the afternoon/early evening.

My husband is working the event with the state police, and there was a special meeting this afternoon. Depending on how bad it looks tomorrow morning, they are supposedly going to shorten the intervals between riders on course to get them done more quickly. At least, that is the current plan.

Weather changes rapidly here in Central KY and I think the fact Rolex has managed to escape truly severe weather over the years is pretty amazing, considering how volatile it can be here in the spring.

Tomorrow should be interesting.

Carol Ames
Apr. 23, 2010, 06:32 PM
There have been years with very severe :eek:conditions; the last year Dutch ran , in the fifties/ (seventiescorrection ?):eek:; Grant said the wind and rain blew so hard; he, Grant, was nearly blown off the horse:eek::sadsmile:;

Carol Ames
Apr. 23, 2010, 06:40 PM
I was not in the area, but, from what I read a tornado occurred in no.va.; I'm sure Janet remembers it well!:winkgrin:Everyone stepped up and did their jobs, including PDs' groom who, ran a rain sheet/ cooler out to him on the 2nd roads:no:

OverandOnward
Apr. 23, 2010, 07:04 PM
What they're calling for is more than hard rain. There is apparently huge potential for severe weather, with three separate statements from the NWS for Central KY. Calling for high winds, hail, cloud-to-ground lightning, and possible tornadoes. It does look like most of this is supposed to happen in the afternoon/early evening.

My husband is working the event with the state police, and there was a special meeting this afternoon. Depending on how bad it looks tomorrow morning, they are supposedly going to shorten the intervals between riders on course to get them done more quickly. At least, that is the current plan.

Weather changes rapidly here in Central KY and I think the fact Rolex has managed to escape truly severe weather over the years is pretty amazing, considering how volatile it can be here in the spring.

Tomorrow should be interesting.
Doesn't shortening the intervals lead to more chance of overtaking and traffic jams? Especially with horses going at very different rates of speed, which is what I'd assume based on rider/horse experience and adaptability.

Is re-routing, even shortening the course an option? Take out sloppier problems? I'm sure everything is on the table.

Tough situation ... time for everyone to pray or meditate or whatever for gentler weather.

OverandOnward
Apr. 23, 2010, 07:19 PM
Had a thought - if the weather is so impactful that other riders flinch, this could be a big help to Oli Townend if he has the horses to get around in good order, no matter what. He looks as if he's tough enough.

TheHeimer
Apr. 23, 2010, 10:09 PM
I hate to say this as if to make a prognostication...

But keep in mind weather reports and reality frequently diverge in this part of the country.

And for my next trick, I'll pick my Derby horse! :cool:

Rescue_Rider9
Apr. 24, 2010, 12:16 AM
I have been told that KY is just like TN when it comes to the weather. We have called for rain every day this week and never got any. Down here you learn early in life that no matter what the weatherman says, it's probably wrong!

Dont worry too much! They have been holding this event for a long time I am sure they know what they are doing!

Carol Ames
Apr. 24, 2010, 01:47 PM
congratulations and thanks to Bob Hughes and crew! USEF, Universal Sports, et. al for a great show!:yes:;)

Carol Ames
Apr. 24, 2010, 01:52 PM
EEI AND THE crew at ROLEX have been dealing with the weather:sadsmile: since the WM in '78:cry::mad:; if anyone can pull it off, it's this crew:yes:!

Carol Ames
Apr. 24, 2010, 01:58 PM
My concern is for during the WEG :yes:which, occurs at the same time of year:eek: as the first worlds'I suppose that that would be the true test:o :confused:of the short format