PDA

View Full Version : Helmet worn in Rolex dressage!

OverandOnward
Apr. 23, 2010, 01:06 PM
Allison Springer wore a helmet with her fancy duds for the Rolex dressage! In my opinion it did not look bad at all - I didn't even register immediately.

Who else wore a helmet? I haven't watched every ride.

VicariousRider
Apr. 23, 2010, 01:10 PM
So far that's it. It's really awesome if you ask me!

If someone on this board is true to their word, Allison should have a check coming her way!!!!

GotSpots
Apr. 23, 2010, 01:11 PM
Here's a photo, courtesy of USEA blog (note, Allison is on the Board of Governors of the US Eventing Association):

http://useventing.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/image303.png

frugalannie
Apr. 23, 2010, 01:16 PM
Wow. Way to go Allison! And a great performance, too. I sure hope this is their dream weekend, cuz they deserve it.

RiverBendPol
Apr. 23, 2010, 01:21 PM
Holy COW that is a beautiful picture. Did you take that, Emily??
Great going, Allison. Way to be a trend setter. Oh, or maybe you're copying me, I've been in a helmet for dressage since 2001, thanks to Mikey. Can't stop now!:winkgrin:

altershmalter
Apr. 23, 2010, 01:22 PM
That is fan-freakin-tastic!!

VicariousRider
Apr. 23, 2010, 01:25 PM
Here is the challenge made earlier this year: See post #68

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?t=239723&page=4

lalahartma1
Apr. 23, 2010, 01:26 PM
Very cool. Arthur looks great!

gully's pilot
Apr. 23, 2010, 01:33 PM
I love Allison for doing this; I wish the rest of them would. Are you hearing me, KOC? Because your brains are more important than your swank top hat.

yellowbritches
Apr. 23, 2010, 01:37 PM
That brought tears to my eyes. Way to go, Allison! And, you know, I've always thought that the hunters in their classic duds (tails and helmets) looked snazzy. This looks just as snazzy (and one more reason for me to keep whining about wanting a GR8 for my birthday!!! :lol:).

Thank you, Allison!!! :yes:

Catalina
Apr. 23, 2010, 01:39 PM
That brought tears to my eyes.

:yes:

Outstanding :D.

NBFarm
Apr. 23, 2010, 01:45 PM
Awesome!! :D

GreyDun
Apr. 23, 2010, 01:55 PM
Holy COW that is a beautiful picture. Did you take that, Emily??
Great going, Allison. Way to be a trend setter. Oh, or maybe you're copying me, I've been in a helmet for dressage since 2001, thanks to Mikey. Can't stop now!:winkgrin:

Nope, it's a Josh Walker photo! I'm stuck at home this year (sigh)... but I've been living vicariously through everyone else's great reporting, videos, and photos. :D

I agree - what a great example Allison has set... and the ride was phenomenal. Arthur has never looked better!

Hunt'sEndFarm
Apr. 23, 2010, 02:03 PM
STANDING OVATION for Allison!!!!!!!!!

AEM74
Apr. 23, 2010, 02:10 PM
Hats off to Allison (pun intended) for setting an example of safety and putting her money where her mouth is. Her helmet took nothing away from that lovely picture, IMO. Fantastic.

JER
Apr. 23, 2010, 02:17 PM
Awesome. What a great moment for our sport.

And no one out there can say it has a negative impact on your score.

Here's hoping the rest of the competition goes just as well for Allison. :)

Badger
Apr. 23, 2010, 02:26 PM
I am now a huge, huge, huge, huge Allison fan. Bravo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

eqsiu
Apr. 23, 2010, 02:32 PM
I want to know why no one has thought to stick a top hat on top of their skull cap.

Voila! Top hat AND helmet.

{defenestrated}
Apr. 23, 2010, 02:35 PM
I want to know why no one has thought to stick a top hat on top of their skull cap.

Voila! Top hat AND helmet.

I have wondered the same thing many times... Like the cowboy helmet that troxel made, only with a top hat.

OverandOnward
Apr. 23, 2010, 02:39 PM
And so ... how many points did Allison loose for being less fashionable ... or maybe being a trendsetter, which may be "worse?" ;) :D

Considering she scored tied for the lead (at the time) ... either she lost no points at all ... or she would have had at least a rail in hand against the field, if she had been wearing the monopoly-game hat. (This is before all the rides are done.)
:yes: :cool: :D

wildlifer
Apr. 23, 2010, 02:51 PM
Yeah!!!! I think I am now in newfound love with Allison! Congrats for being the first with the guts to be smart and swim against the school!

TxEventer81
Apr. 23, 2010, 02:53 PM
An absolutely beautiful photo!!!! COTH has another lovely one on their site. Hopefully they'll do a story about it so they'll "complete" the challenge. :yes:

raave05
Apr. 23, 2010, 03:01 PM
i don't know, if you ask me i think it looks kind of silly...and simply on appearances sake it makes me think her horse must be pretty spooky.

not taking away from the safety aspects, and i applaud her for her aesthetic bravery, but at the same time, i can't help but think its a bit strange.

i'm sure no one will think that in a few years when everyone is wearing hard hats in the dressage...a la hunters in their tails.

kerlin
Apr. 23, 2010, 03:08 PM
I don't think it looks silly at all, I think it looks fantastic. I couldn't possibly be more thrilled, and Allison has won a fan for life in me.

I'm off to send in some gushing thanks to Allison via her website, and see if I can shake the horse fund for some money to donate to her competition fund or the charity of her choice as well. :D

chancellor2
Apr. 23, 2010, 03:15 PM
i don't know, if you ask me i think it looks kind of silly...and simply on appearances sake it makes me think her horse must be pretty spooky.

not taking away from the safety aspects, and i applaud her for her aesthetic bravery, but at the same time, i can't help but think its a bit strange.

i'm sure no one will think that in a few years when everyone is wearing hard hats in the dressage...a la hunters in their tails.

Making statements such as this just perpetuates the ignorance.
Arthur has been to Rolex MANY times and is a seasoned competitor.

Good for Allison for bucking tradition and doing the RIGHT THING.
It only looks different....it does NOT look strange.

CANTEREOIN
Apr. 23, 2010, 03:21 PM
to her campaign fund... $50. That is so awesome.

Just sent it to the:

The American Horse Trials Foundation
221 Grove Cove Road
Centreville, MD 21617
Phone: (443) 262-9555
Fax: (443) 262-9666
Email: ahtf@att.net

For Allison Springer....

Jumpthemoon16
Apr. 23, 2010, 03:49 PM
That's awesome. Finally!

bornfreenowexpensive
Apr. 23, 2010, 04:11 PM

See to me it looks FAR better. I always think the top hats look silly and stupid.

KSevnter
Apr. 23, 2010, 04:13 PM

Any sillier than wearing a top hat? I mean come on a top hat is quite a silly piece of attire if you think about it.

It is nice to see a 4star rider making a safety statement. Not only that it is quite a savvy business move on her part (intended or not), just look at how many people on here have pledged to give her money.

Twigster
Apr. 23, 2010, 04:21 PM
That pair looks so fantastic I wouldn't have even noticed a helmet without being told to look for one! Kudos to Allison for making this public safety statement.

Laurel&HollyFarm
Apr. 23, 2010, 04:23 PM
Kudos to Allison. I had hoped to see more wearing them. Not silly at all.

blackwly
Apr. 23, 2010, 04:40 PM
Allison has won a big fan in me. Cheers to her for using her position as a leader in the sport to serve as a real role model towards positive change. Awesome.

CANTEREOIN
Apr. 23, 2010, 04:47 PM
Via the Rolex Site! Share your thought with her and her sponsors. That is a message that will be heard!

LISailing
Apr. 23, 2010, 04:53 PM
Thank you Alison for showing the USEA, USEF and FEI how LEADERSHIP looks. You may sometimes feel alone with your choice to stay safe, but you exude intelligence!! Your decision enabled you to perform to the highest standards and eliminate a potential known preventable injury. Congradulations, this sport needs more leaders like yourself.

BBowen
Apr. 23, 2010, 05:03 PM
Allison is just a class act and I am a huge fan. She and Arthur put in a fabulous test, and her approved helmet looked just as fashionable as the top hats. Thank you, Allison for setting an example.

RunForIt
Apr. 23, 2010, 05:11 PM
:D :cool:
And so ... how many points did Allison loose for being less fashionable ... or maybe being a trendsetter, which may be "worse?" ;) :D

Considering she scored tied for the lead (at the time) ... either she lost no points at all ... or she would have had at least a rail in hand against the field, if she had been wearing the monopoly-game hat. (This is before all the rides are done.)
:yes: :cool: :D

I'll build on this thought...in addition, how many kids, young riders, and UPPER LEVEL RIDERS did Allison show that eventing is a SMART sport that requires GUTS in the dressage arena as well as on XC!!! I am so proud of and grateful to this smart, brave WOMAN!!!!!! :D :cool:

retreadeventer
Apr. 23, 2010, 05:28 PM
I believe Lynn has arrived there today, and may not be online for a day or so -- not sure if she has electronics with her to get on the board -- but I think she may have been there in time to see her ride so I sure hope she saw it (Deltawave is the one who made the pledge I believe.) She would be happy I am sure! It would also be nice to have a statement from Allison too. I believe that several riders in the Kentucky Cup grand prix have also worn astm helmets in support of Courtney King Dye so that might have been the motivation. If she is not sponsored by a helmet company, she sure better be!
If you are so inclined to send money please check with someone close to Allison before doing so. AHTF takes like 13 percent out.
Remember this is just dressage. We have two more big days. No one has a rail in hand with ten horses within a few points of one another. After Saturday we'll see.
I'm all for cheering her on. Wish I was there! :)

RunForIt
Apr. 23, 2010, 05:34 PM
I believe Lynn has arrived there today, and may not be online for a day or so -- not sure if she has electronics with her to get on the board -- but I think she may have been there in time to see her ride so I sure hope she saw it (Deltawave is the one who made the pledge I believe.) She would be happy I am sure! It would also be nice to have a statement from Allison too. I believe that several riders in the Kentucky Cup grand prix have also worn astm helmets in support of Courtney King Dye so that might have been the motivation. If she is not sponsored by a helmet company, she sure better be!
If you are so inclined to send money please check with someone close to Allison before doing so. AHTF takes like 13 percent out.
Remember this is just dressage. We have two more big days. No one has a rail in hand with ten horses within a few points of one another. After Saturday we'll see.
I'm all for cheering her on. Wish I was there! :)

:D :cool: love you!

VicariousRider
Apr. 23, 2010, 06:37 PM

Aside from totally disagreeing with you on the aesthetic value of the top hat, Allison mentions in almost every interview that Arthur is REALLY spooky and a total chicken. FWIW, there were LOTS of horses spooking at Rolex today and yesterday. THey might have all been wise to don a brain bucket.

Looks like this gal has some real sense in that helmet!

Ritazza
Apr. 23, 2010, 07:00 PM

Know what else looks silly? Half your skull off with your brains splattered on the pavement. (Sorry, super cranky today.... mad that I'm not at Rolex applauding someone's ability to be SENSIBLE as well as FASHIONABLE!)

HER
Apr. 23, 2010, 07:20 PM
Big kudos for Allison! I was soooo excited to see her trotting in with a helmet. Who cares if your horse is typically spooky or not? Anything can happen at any time to any horse. I thought it was a very elegant picture!
Helen

Carol Ames
Apr. 23, 2010, 07:22 PM
I am so glad!I bought my first calliente in 1974, and wore it in events, including the Rolex ** even recognized dressage shows, along with my flat/ close contact jumping :cool:saddle for the next 25 years!

TwinGates
Apr. 23, 2010, 08:02 PM
A beautiful picture and a classy lady.

asterix
Apr. 23, 2010, 08:07 PM
This is the future, and it's wonderful to see her leading the way, while putting in such a lovely test to boot.
A barrier has been broken and the sport will be the better for it.
Way to go.

RunForIt
Apr. 23, 2010, 08:44 PM
I just found and watched "the test"...OMG - was that ever lovely! The helmet aside, Arthur and Allison were simply incredible...the gaits on that horse, his balance, so damn straight in the changes - and then there's his jockey, sitting up there on that 4* fit guy, looking beautiful as she finessed that test in an approved helmet...:D :cool:

I know whose autograph I want all my good buddies to get for me...:winkgrin:

monstrpony
Apr. 23, 2010, 09:02 PM
I'm totally verklempt. Just ... Thank You, Allison!!!

deltawave
Apr. 23, 2010, 09:08 PM
So far that's it. It's really awesome if you ask me!

If someone on this board is true to their word, Allison should have a check coming her way!!!!

This was never publicized beyond here, but I am, in fact, going to cough up, although I will probably do a gift card to Bit of Britain or something. :)

frugalannie
Apr. 23, 2010, 09:12 PM
Lynn, you are all class, as is Allison.

Glad you're there to take it all in.

deltawave
Apr. 23, 2010, 09:12 PM
Know what else looks silly? Half your skull off with your brains splattered on the pavement.

Yes, yes, a thousand times yes. We are not doing this to make a fashion statement.

We got here too late to see Allison's ride, unfortunately. I would've been clapping the loudest. :)

Dance_To_Oblivion
Apr. 23, 2010, 09:26 PM
This was never publicized beyond here, but I am, in fact, going to cough up, although I will probably do a gift card to Bit of Britain or something. :)

deltawave, you are fantastic!

wanderlust
Apr. 23, 2010, 10:15 PM
I think she looks fab, and the hunter riders have been wearing tails and GPAs or Charles Owen GR8s for years. Not to mention the GR8 is extremely light and comfy, love mine.

mustangsal85
Apr. 23, 2010, 10:18 PM
She wore a helmet in memorandum of her brother and for her friend who were both involved in accidents from not wearing a helmet. I thought it was awesome!

Fairview Horse Center
Apr. 23, 2010, 11:14 PM
WOW, I am totally impressed with how awesome that looks. Some lead, others follow.

AKB
Apr. 23, 2010, 11:30 PM
Hooray for Allison!

Deltawave, I give you a lot of credit for providing the check.

OverandOnward
Apr. 24, 2010, 12:52 AM
Idea. Next * where Allison plans to wear the tails with a helmet, those who plan to watch her dressage, take your helmet. After her ride hold it up in the air while cheering. Help make the point ... to all those who didn't even notice the monopoly-hat was missing. :)

Updates on Courtney King Dye, who suffered a serious head injury in a fall from a horse while schooling in early March. I don't know if she was wearing a helmet. Serious accidents do happen on the flat, the helmet looks good to anyone who has been close to one.
http://www.courtneykingdressage.com/

poltroon
Apr. 24, 2010, 01:20 AM
I think she looks old-school classic.

Great job, Allison!

(and kudos to deltawave)

eventingismylife
Apr. 24, 2010, 02:35 AM
Wow, just wow. I seriously cant tell you how much it means to me, as a young rider, and how this will hopefully affect the future of eventing. Hopefully we will soon see the majority wearing helmets in all 3 phases, including schooling as well, at all the levels. I hope that my fellow YR's will take your lead and run with it and wear their helmets in the dressage phase as well.
Bravo!
Also, great job deltawave ;). You deserve a big THANK You as well!

GreyDun
Apr. 24, 2010, 07:20 AM
For those who are interested, Allison talked quite a bit about her helmet during yesterday's press conference, and why it was a personal choice for her (we took a video of the press conference - don't worry, it's not long ;) )

http://useventing.com/blog/?p=9041

AKB
Apr. 24, 2010, 07:37 AM
I would like to see Chronicle of the Horse do an article on Allison. If anyone knows anyone on staff, it would be nice if they could talk with them. Allison showed strength of character. Her wearing a helmet showed that you can break tradition, wear a helmet and still score well.

I want to see more positive stories about eventing. I am tired of reading about rider and horse injuries and bad behavior (e.g., DC and his legal escapades). Let's hope some reporters step up and do a positive story on eventers, including Allison. Does anyone know that New York Times reporter who writes about DC?

RiverBendPol
Apr. 24, 2010, 07:41 AM
Em-GREAT video. Aren't those guys SO AWESOME! Imagine Kim saying the SJ is her problem and the xc might be alot for her! I could listen to them all day. Thanks.

RunForIt
Apr. 24, 2010, 07:47 AM
For those who are interested, Allison talked quite a bit about her helmet during yesterday's press conference, and why it was a personal choice for her (we took a video of the press conference - don't worry, it's not long ;) )

http://useventing.com/blog/?p=9041

Thanks, Em! Loved all the interviews! AND...any chance Cady is going to give you a reprieve from pony mid-wifery anytime soon?! :D :cool:

monstrpony
Apr. 24, 2010, 07:56 AM
I would like to see Chronicle of the Horse do an article on Allison. If anyone knows anyone on staff, it would be nice if they could talk with them. Allison showed strength of character. Her wearing a helmet showed that you can break tradition, wear a helmet and still score well.

I'm pretty certain our friends at the Chron won't let this one go by!

That picture of Allison looks SO classy; the helmet is such a small part of what makes that picture. The gorgeous, fit horse and elegant rider--she could be wearing rags and it would still catch your eye.

Gotta say I'm a little disappointed in the rest of the crowd.

Deltawave, you rock!!!! (again)

GreyDun
Apr. 24, 2010, 08:10 AM
Thanks, Em! Loved all the interviews! AND...any chance Cady is going to give you a reprieve from pony mid-wifery anytime soon?! :D :cool:

I certainly hope so - I'm naming the pony child in honor of Rolex winner...and if Ollie wins? Well, Grand Slam, of course :D

Tamsin
Apr. 24, 2010, 08:38 AM
I'm joining the standing ovation for Allison!! I agree with others that she looked FABULOUS in the helmet.

asterix
Apr. 24, 2010, 08:42 AM
OverandOnward: Courtney King-Dye was not wearing helmet when she had her accident.

WB Mom
Apr. 24, 2010, 08:49 AM
As I posted in the Dressage Forum--
I think the manufacturer could easily modify this helmet to appear more like the classic top hat - and it's cheap!

http://www.nationalbridle.com/product-p/1-6906.htm

4Martini
Apr. 24, 2010, 09:22 AM
This is awesome news! Standing ovation here too!

tullio
Apr. 24, 2010, 02:30 PM
We have had so many talks about who will be the next 'big thing' in this sport - I hope Allison Springer just gave us the answer! Nothing like leading by example.

So awesome to see her wear a helmet - AND be so successful. I hope the rest of her weekend goes perfectly for her and Arthur.

OverandOnward
Apr. 24, 2010, 02:35 PM
OK now ... this will all become a happy but increasingly vague memory ... unless ... it happens again.

Allison continues choosing a helmet over a monopoly-game hat.

Others follow suit.

Whaddya think ??? What happens next ???

JER
Apr. 24, 2010, 02:51 PM
As I posted in the Dressage Forum--
I think the manufacturer could easily modify this helmet to appear more like the classic top hat - and it's cheap!

But why?

There's no reason to cling to tradition when it's only about fashion.

Allison looked lovely in her helmet. Like an athlete.

SevenDogs
Apr. 24, 2010, 02:57 PM
But why?

There's no reason to cling to tradition when it's only about fashion.

Allison looked lovely in her helmet. Like an athlete.

....and kinda weird fashion, at that. I understand the idea of an "approved" top hat, but I doubt any of the "I am wearing it for the tradition of it all" would be willing to wear it.

Tremendous kudos for Allison setting a trend (and looking great while doing it). We need leaders in our sport... and we just found one.

riderboy
Apr. 24, 2010, 04:39 PM
I was SO HAPPY that someone finally wore a damn helmet in dressage at such a visible event. Huge kudos to Alison. One of the Grand Prix dressage riders at the musical freestyle Thursday night demo at th Kentucky Horse Park also wore a helmet- Jackie Brooks I believe. Again, what a great example to set.

hearthorse
Apr. 24, 2010, 04:55 PM
Anyone know if they are selling the "Strap one on" helmet shirts for Courtney King Dye, at Rolex?

deltawave
Apr. 24, 2010, 04:58 PM
There needs to be a new brand of helmets named "Damm" or something like that.

Everyone can "put on their Damm helmet". Brilliant! :D

Fairview Horse Center
Apr. 24, 2010, 05:06 PM
When the hunters first had to go with approved helmets, many were wearing one with clear straps. Straps can also be made narrower, and flesh tones.

RunForIt
Apr. 24, 2010, 05:31 PM
Anyone know if they are selling the "Strap one on" helmet shirts for Courtney King Dye, at Rolex?

I bought mine off of the ebay auction site....:cool: NOTE: I usually wear a small, but this small is teeny - will wear it to workout and ride in, but am ordering a medium to wear off the farm. LOVE THE SHIRT!!!!

OverandOnward
Apr. 24, 2010, 05:33 PM
There needs to be a new brand of helmets named "Damm" or something like that.

Everyone can "put on their Damm helmet". Brilliant! :D
:lol: :lol: :lol: I'll build on that brilliant idea and suggest Charles Owen call the helmet style worn by Allison at Rolex "The Damm Helmet." Who knows, even notoriously cheap people might fork out the bucks to get a Damm helmet, now that Allison has taken it up the 4* center line. :D

When the hunters first had to go with approved helmets, many were wearing one with clear straps. Straps can also be made narrower, and flesh tones.Dating myself, but I remember when the rule was changed, first for the juniors of the h/j world. Oh the wailing, the teeth-knashing, the awful-ness of it all. The biggest hate seemed to be on the straps that "hid the rider's face." The mushroom profile was deplored. Other than the iron wills that got the rule changed, everyone seemed to think this move to preserve the futures of riding children was just the worst thing ever.

That rule was most definitely not adopted by popular vote.

So "english riders" today are mostly wiser, perhaps they know more. Except those competing CCI/CIC. Something leaks out of riders' brains as they pass into those upper-upper levels. I think group pressure forces it out. ;)

texang73
Apr. 25, 2010, 08:34 AM
There was also a helmet worn by one of the riders in the Kentucky Cup (dressage) on Friday evening...

SaveTheOtters
Apr. 25, 2010, 09:02 PM
"No matter what they do they can't break your stride, revolution is a thing that starts inside, throw your hands up with your fists, with pride, hold your head high no need to hide, e-v-o, l-v-e, come on get inside, come on rock with me, if you want a revolution, the only solution, evolve"

this is the song from the new gatorade commercial, couldn't help but to feel like it applied :D
definite kudos to Allison for setting a good example, as a YR i'll never be investing in a hunt cap, only approved helmets here! and her leadership is definitely one of the reasons i made that decision!:cool:

AmericaRunsOnDunkin
Apr. 25, 2010, 09:04 PM
Here's a photo, courtesy of USEA blog (note, Allison is on the Board of Governors of the US Eventing Association):

http://useventing.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/image303.png

And her horse looks fab too. :)

eponacowgirl
Apr. 25, 2010, 09:16 PM
Go Allison. All class, all the way.

And DW- kudos to you. I wish I had some cash to pony up to sweeten the pot, but I bet if you let John Nunn know what you're up to, he'll give you a bit of publicity to go with it.