PDA

View Full Version : Crying for Kelly and Ballinakill Glory

Black Points
Apr. 23, 2010, 12:23 PM
I feel so bad for Kelly and how her (Andrea's) mare reacted in the dressage ring. I can totally feel for her as my mare has done similar shenanigans except at Novice. She even bucked me off during my dressage test once and it was the best test we ever did:confused:

I am really proud of how well Kelly kept it together and finished the test. As a first timer, this should be her worst time ever in dressage and I'm expecting them to meet the jumping challenges with aplomb. I love that "Pippa". She reminds me so much of my little bay mare. I would bet she has some Connemara pony in her.

Good luck to Kelly and Pippa tomorrow and Sunday. I'll be rooting for them.

Mary in Western NY
http://www.bpequine.com

OverandOnward
Apr. 23, 2010, 01:00 PM
I'm giving Kelly a standing ovation for ridership and horsemanship. I did not think she was going to be able to finish - the mare wasn't running for the exit, but almost. It looked for a moment here and there as if the mare simply wasn't going near enough The Bad Camera to perform a movement or two or three.

But if they didn't finish dressage they couldn't complete the event - so yay Kelly for getting it done! With immense kindness and patience for her frightened horse - who was trying in her own way, in spite of her fright.

So now they are on my favorites list for cross-country!

three_dayer
Apr. 23, 2010, 01:04 PM
I saw her score, that is so sad. She is a great mare, and that is so unusual for her to blow up like that, she is usually a steady eddy. Poor Kelly, that is so frustrating and upseting for her. I hope Pippa is ok, and they have a good run tomorrow.

RiverBendPol
Apr. 23, 2010, 01:06 PM
Poor Kelly. She should win the "I STUCK IT OUT AWARD"!! I was so afraid she was going to just bail out. She must have kept saying over and over, "I want to run and jump tomorrow, I want to run and jump tomorrow..." I've had a few rides like that and all I wanted to do was 1. slit the horse's throat and 2. go crawl into my trailer and drink myself to sleep!! Poor girl, she's a champion in my book and I LOVED her grinning at the judges. Thank God she had Mark and Marilyn in the booth-they've surely both been there, too!

OverandOnward
Apr. 23, 2010, 01:15 PM
I would like to see Kelly's rider score. Hope it was a 9. :cool: I really thought they were done a couple of times, but Kelly didn't.

In the mare's defense she looked beautiful and prepared, capable of a fine test. I'm sure she would have been fine if they had had 10 minutes to walk casually around in the ring before the test. Definitely the cameras affected the scores of other horses as well, both days. The horses more experienced with the show biz side of big eventing had an edge - as always.

Dues being paid. Every aging veteran rider is saying "I've been there." And some great horses would say the same to Ballinakill Glory! :)

Hilary
Apr. 23, 2010, 01:17 PM
Poor thing - I wondered what had happened.

Moody Mare
Apr. 23, 2010, 01:48 PM
I feel so bad for Kelly and how her (Andrea's) mare reacted in the dressage ring. I can totally feel for her as my mare has done similar shenanigans except at Novice. She even bucked me off during my dressage test once and it was the best test we ever did:confused:

I am really proud of how well Kelly kept it together and finished the test. As a first timer, this should be her worst time ever in dressage and I'm expecting them to meet the jumping challenges with aplomb. I love that "Pippa". She reminds me so much of my little bay mare. I would bet she has some Connemara pony in her.

Good luck to Kelly and Pippa tomorrow and Sunday. I'll be rooting for them.

Mary in Western NY
http://www.bpequine.com

I watched it streaming. I would give her the 'Best Attitude and Sportsmanship Award'. She handled the whole situation very gracefully while riding.

eqsiu
Apr. 23, 2010, 02:35 PM
I would love to see a video. Work won't let me sit and just watch Rolex :cry::lol:

Laurel&HollyFarm
Apr. 23, 2010, 04:29 PM
I'm giving Kelly a standing ovation for ridership and horsemanship. I did not think she was going to be able to finish - the mare wasn't running for the exit, but almost. It looked for a moment here and there as if the mare simply wasn't going near enough The Bad Camera to perform a movement or two or three.

But if they didn't finish dressage they couldn't complete the event - so yay Kelly for getting it done! With immense kindness and patience for her frightened horse - who was trying in her own way, in spite of her fright.

So now they are on my favorites list for cross-country!

Amen. I am a big Kelly fan now. I am predicting great things for her in the future.

BBowen
Apr. 23, 2010, 05:06 PM
She was definitely "grace under fire". She held it together even though her horse was having none of the dressage ring. I'm wishing her a good, safe run on cross country tomorrow. She deserves it!!!

erroneous
Apr. 23, 2010, 05:14 PM
She went back into the ring at the end for some "camera schooling" and received lots of applause from the remaining crowd.

Lori B
Apr. 23, 2010, 05:51 PM
Ditto all the supportive comments for her grace on a tough day. I read her blogs and am still cheering for them to have a great go tomorrow. (Also the Good Witch - yay mares!)

Best Sportsmanship indeed.

annikak
Apr. 23, 2010, 05:58 PM
Just saw the ride- what a LOVELY ride on a horse that has amazing movement, and talent, but just did not get those cameras. Can't say I blame her! those are the kind of rides that I watch and cry, hoping that I could be that amazing of a rider.

She has a blog??

Lone
Apr. 23, 2010, 06:19 PM
Does anyone know if the ride is posted on youtube or something yet? I'm curious to see it.

It sounds like she did an amazing job handling the tough situation.

enjoytheride
Apr. 23, 2010, 07:58 PM
Yes, I would like to see a video as well. I'd appreciate seeing how other people way higher then I am have the same trouble in dressage!

wabadou
Apr. 23, 2010, 09:00 PM
Just watched the ride on my download, major kudos to Kelly for keeping her composure and riding it out. It was obvious that this was a gorgeous,well prepared, brilliant horse unused to the sights and sounds of a big audience and cameras and such.
Looking forward to seeing them on xcountry tomorrow !!

Bobuddy
Apr. 23, 2010, 09:30 PM
I volunteer at the final warm up ring for the dressage part of Rolex. Kelly had such a lovely warm up - just beautiful. To top it all off, both Kelly and her trainer were very nice to talk to and I really enjoyed meeting them. My heart breaks for her after watching such a lovely warm up. I was really glad they let her go in to the arena after the end of the dressage competition to let her school - and yes, the crowd that was still there gave her a huge applause again. I was rooting for her before seeing her dressage ride, but now I am really rooting for her!

pony grandma
Apr. 24, 2010, 10:26 AM
Bobuddy, thanks for posting. This is when the forum is at it's best! The caring support and admiration for those who share the horsemanship. Someone doesn't have to win anything to be a hero to others.

OverandOnward
Apr. 24, 2010, 03:02 PM
I don't know the details of her ride yet ... but I'm delighted to see that Kelly and her good mare completed xc. They have a stop and a buncha time penalties ... but so what, they are still riding, unlike a number of others who are no longer in the competition. :cool:

I hope she agrees that her finishing score for this Rolex doesn't mean anything about the good that can come out of her journey this weekend. The heroes are the ones who overcome, who just keep on, who find a way. As Kelly has been doing, and so is her mare, since the mare has her own version of this story to tell. IMO there's no need to cry, I'd change the title of this thread personally. :)

One of the greatest life lessons of eventing and horses is that no matter what happens, keep riding keep riding keep riding ...

I am sure Kelly did not plan to qualify for Rolex and then drive 50 hours to Kentucky so that she could spend the entire weekend building character and setting an example of rugged determination. But I so hope that she and all her connections think first about the good that will happen for her and for her mare from this experience. And that is what they will take away from this. That's a decision for everyone who knows their story.

For you, Kelly. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LODkVkpaVQA

Carol Ames
Apr. 24, 2010, 03:13 PM
I cannot locate my Rolex issue:cry: Who did Jimmy Wofford pick to win?:confused:

SevenDogs
Apr. 24, 2010, 03:23 PM
I don't know the details of her ride yet ... but I'm delighted to see that Kelly and her good mare completed xc. They have a stop and a buncha time penalties ... but so what, they are still riding, unlike a number of others who are no longer in the competition. :cool:

Taking nothing away from Kelly's performance (and I think she has shown a lot of courage and determination this weekend), I'm curious what you mean OverandOnward about those "no longer in competition". The reason that I ask (and I hope that this is not what you meant) is that we should not be cavalier or negative towards riders that choose to retire on course. In fact, we should value riders that know when to call it a day.

There is no shame (and a whole lot of smarts) for those that realize that this "is not their day" for whatever reason. If you look at the list or retirees, you see plenty of folks with a lot of experience behind them. Knowing when to retire and wait for another day is as much a part of this sport as winning, and we should be appreciative and encouraging towards the riders that know when to call it a day. *That* is a big part of the puzzle towards safer cross country.

I would way rather see a rider retire than push a horse that isn't on his/her game through a course and possibly have a tragedy. Isn't that what so many threads have been about in the past? You can't have it both ways.

jenm
Apr. 25, 2010, 01:45 PM
I cannot locate my Rolex issue:cry: Who did Jimmy Wofford pick to win?:confused:

Phillip Dutton

Lone
Apr. 26, 2010, 11:41 PM
Does anyone know where there is a video of her ride? I tried searching on youtube but couldn't find anything

OverandOnward
Apr. 27, 2010, 12:40 AM
I would way rather see a rider retire than push a horse that isn't on his/her game through a course and possibly have a tragedy. Isn't that what so many threads have been about in the past? You can't have it both ways.You are taking my post out of context to make a point that you want to make - but it has nothing to do with what I was saying.

There were several E's on course. Kelly was not one of them.