PDA

View Full Version : Long shot question: Jonathan Paget's saddle?

cllane1
Apr. 23, 2010, 11:12 AM
LOVE the big knee/thigh blocks on NZ rider Jonathan Paget's saddle. I know it's a long shot, but does anyone know what the brand and model are?

Little Valkyrie
Apr. 23, 2010, 11:17 AM
This one? http://www.cliftoneventers.com/media/media_files/originals/Clifton%20Eventers_005.jpg

cllane1
Apr. 23, 2010, 11:45 AM
No, sorry, I meant his dressage saddle. I just watched his Rolex ride and saw it there. I looked on the Clifton web site, but the saddle he's using in the dressage pics there is different from the one he rode in today.

CatchMeIfUCan
Apr. 23, 2010, 01:55 PM
This is my guess.

http://www.batesaustralia.com.au/innova/index.htm

Russell Hall
Apr. 23, 2010, 08:57 PM
Yes, it's a Bates innova. I've just spoken with Jock (he's just on his way to dinner) and he says he loves the saddle because "it forces you into a good dressage position, so it's good for training a stronger position. Also, I find that if you ride in it for long enough and then you hop into an inferior saddle, you actually stay strong for longer in your position."

"Unfortunately, we only have the one Bates innova saddle, so it's really hard to do an event when I'm running several horses. That's why you don't see it in all the photos! A second Bates saddle would be great to have and then I could ride in one all the time."

"After my score today I need all the help I can get -- just kidding, Clifton Promise was great for his first four-star. You just wait to see him do the cross-country tomorrow!"

cllane1
Apr. 23, 2010, 11:43 PM
Wow, thanks for all the info, Russell Hall! I didn't expect to get the dirt straight from the horse's mouth, as it were.

I have such long legs, with a 57 cm upper leg to 50 cm lower leg, that almost everything puts me in a chair seat. I've been trying everything I can that looks like it will drop my thigh down from my hip and has a block to help me keep my lower leg back. The Innova may be worth a try!

Tell Jock good luck, if you speak to him again!

Russell Hall
Apr. 24, 2010, 12:10 AM
My pleasure. I hope you find a saddle that goes with your long legs!

Are you at KHP or truly "back in Alabama"? If the former, maybe we can arrange for you to see the saddle up close.

cllane1
Apr. 24, 2010, 07:10 PM
Thanks for the offer, RH, but I am truly in Alabama. Been enjoying Rolex through the wonders of live feed. But one of the tack stores I have been working with carries the Bates line, so I bet I can get one to try.