PDA

View Full Version : Studs (not the living kind)

tldickinson
Apr. 23, 2010, 11:05 AM
I have a horse with two front shoes, I've never used studs before and was thinking about getting them. I know that it's purely personal but what are you favorites and why?
T

SparklePlenty
Apr. 23, 2010, 11:11 AM
I'm not a pro - nor do i claim to be.. but i'm pretty sure that studding ONLY the front is problematic, because studs (if you do two) are only really necessary for the hind.

asterix
Apr. 23, 2010, 11:21 AM
I would not stud only the front. When the horse lands from a jump, you need those front feet to get out of the way a bit, not get "stuck" to the ground, and certainly not to be more stuck to the ground than the back feet.

Typically you stud the back feet if needed, and then go to the fronts if you think conditions warrant.

I have run (in decent conditions) through Preliminary with only hind studs; my horse overreaches a ton on xc and will pull his front shoes off if I stud him up front, as that does retard the movement off the ground just enough for those hind feet to catch the heel.

My younger horse is only drilled behind as well; he's very surefooted and is going Training, and has done just fine this way even in pretty icky conditions.

Bobthehorse
Apr. 23, 2010, 11:36 AM
If you must stud only in the front, stay small, in the road stud family. But in general, studs are for horses shod all around.

OneMoreForTheRoad
Apr. 23, 2010, 11:40 AM
Agree with all of the other posts. My training level horse is only tapped on the hind shoes.

tldickinson
Apr. 23, 2010, 11:41 AM
Ok!! Thanks guys!! Regardless of the front/back shoeing what do you guys like as far as studs are concerned and for what conditions?
T

asterix
Apr. 23, 2010, 08:40 PM
I think there are some good threads on this if you use the search function, and there's a good little book on this, too, maybe someone will remember it's name...

The very basics would be a small square "road stud" -- you'd want, for a horse drilled all the way around, 10 (always get 2 more than you'll need because I promise, you'll lose some).

Then you could add a sort of small rounded "bullet" shape for deeper conditions -- this should have the same base size as the road stud (or you could get a set of slightly bigger road studs as well to match the bullet); typically in muddy conditions you could put the bullet on the outside and the road on the inside.

For punching through grass I'd get some pointy "grass tips" -- and only use them on the outside with a matching road stud on the inside.

I'd get the smaller sizes offered of these for starters. It is just as dangerous to overstud (great way to bow a tendon) as it is to understud, if not more. As you get more experience on course and with studs, you can expand your collection.

Bobthehorse
Apr. 23, 2010, 09:36 PM
I have basic roads, flat hex roads, cone hex roads, small bullets and small grass tips. I use the basic roads about 90% of the time.